Thread: sea vegetables

Default sea vegetables

i try to eat sea vegetables every day. right now i have a few recipes for soups and salads to use them in, but i am getting pretty bored eating the same things all the time. the problem is that when i try to find new recipes to use them in all i can find are fish and seafood dishes that have sea vegetables in them. does anyone else here eat them very often? can anyone tell me how they use them or give me some recipes or resources? thanks so much.

Default Re: sea vegetables

I sometimes saute them with carrots and sesame oil. I add them to soup, especially potato soup with oyster mushrooms - almost like a New England chowder (I use dulse for this one).

As a side dish, sauted with mushrooms, garlic, onions, carrots, celery - anything!

I have sprouts constantly growing so I often use them in a sprout salad with avocado (I know, you have enough salad ideas!)

If I can think of any more ideas, I'll post them.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

What's healthy about them?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Here is a listing of nutritional information from a U.S. company. There are also recipe ideas at this site.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Kevster

I add them to stir frys and the like, in the UK Clearspring do Atlantic sea salad, and you can chuck them in just about anything. Rich in minerals and containing iodine. I try and eat them once or twice a week.

Dub Science

Why not try noodles with stir-fried shitake mushrooms, sesame seeds, and toasted Nori seaweed. Add soy sauce and sesame oil, miso stock, garlic and spring onions.

Stir-fry the mushrooms and onions in sunflower and sesame oil, add the garlic, add 250ml miso stock, bring to the boil then add fresh noodles (or 'straight to wok' type noodles). Add soy sauce and sesame oil to taste, and finally scunch the toasted nori sheets into the noodles. Eat with chopsticks from a wooden bowl for added authenticity...

I'm know they're really healthy but I'm not at all keen. Is it just me? I find them disconcertingly fishy.

Me too, Cherry, and very salty!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Yeh. I quite like the 'making waves' redwood fish fingers though. They have some sort of sea vegetable in them but it must only be a tiny amount.

Sorry GG, that doesn't really help you on your quest! My friend John used to make Sushi Nori. John's sushi It was really good stuff, apart from the nori part If you like that too though then you'll definitely enjoy it. I love the pickled ginger.

Hi,
    Well does these sea veggies have a fish odour with them..... like i know the sushi wrapper ( nori) has fish odour to them.. which makes them impossible for me to eat.... comments plz
    Cheers
    Redpepper

Yeah, I quess it is a fishy odor and taste...I like it though. My childhood comfort food was dulse and potatoes boiled together and served with a splash of vinegar and a lot of butter (ok, earth balance margarine now). Nothing much fancy but makes me feel nice and cozy inside.

feral

Quote Cherry
    I'm know they're really healthy but I'm not at all keen. Is it just me? I find them disconcertingly fishy.
    Me too, are they collected far out to sea? I just get grossed out with the thought of sewage being pumped into the sea! But then again I detest the smell of raw fish, makes me gagg.

tabitha

I quite like them. I put them in soups. However, my husband can smell them a mile off and the smell makes him gag. I went through a phase of having them on bread with fake cheese and hummous too.

now i've found a few more and i am going to post them up here for safe keeping.

marinated arame sea salad slaw

handful dried arame sea vegetable
    2 t tahini
    1 t umeboshi vinegar
    1/2 clove garlic, pressed
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/3 t olive oil
    8 oz extra-firm tofu, cubed
    1 T tamari or shoyu sauce
    1 t sesame seeds
    5 to 6 artichoke hearts, canned
    1/4 c kidney beans
    1/4 c black beans or chickpeas
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    salt and pepper to taste
    12 leaves fresh lettuce

cover arame in cold water, soak overnight in refrigerator (for fast preparation simmer for 10-15 minutes in water). drain, refresh with cold water, drain again. chop arame coarsely.
    combine tahini, vinegar, garlic, lemon, and olive oil and whisk with a fork. add arame, toss until coated, and refrigerate, if desired, until ready to assemble dish.
    toss tofu with tamari and sprinkle with sesame seeds. set aside.
    combine artichoke, beans, lemon, and seasoning in a bowl. set aside.
    lay out a thick bed of lettuce on each dinner plate. place mound of arame in center. encircle with tofu and artichoke and bean mixture.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Quote Tigerlily
    What's healthy about them?
    sea vegetables are among the most nutrient and mineral rich foods on the planet. some researchers believe that part of the reason that the Japanese have the lowest incidence of most forms of cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis, and diseases related to obesity has something to do with the fact that sea vegetables are a regular part of their diet. sea vegetables have 10 to 20 times more usable minerals than vegetables grown on land. this aids in the growth of nails, hair, bones, and teeth. many advocate the addition of sea vegetables in the diet to compensate for overprocessing of food and denatured soil which means lower nutrients in land vegetables. they are said to: rebalance hormones, reduce water retention, decrease bad blood cholesterol levels, stabilize blood sugars, aid in treating digestive disorders, cleanse the intestinal tract, purify and alkalize the blood (they are said to have the same composition as human blood), act as an antioxident, help metabolize insulin in diabetics, prevent flatulence, aid digestion, cleanse the lymphatic system, enhance the immune system. there is a section about it in the book The Okinawa Project which was written about the diet and lifestyle habits of the longest-living group of people in the world.
    this is a pretty good book to read if you haven't yet. it compares their mostly vegan diet with the USDA recommendations to show what is wrong in the typical Western diet. and even though it doesn't say we should stop eating meat altogether it does show that when these people started to add more meat to their diet their lifespan shortened considerably.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

yes, i can see them being an acquired taste. i like them a lot. i don't think they taste fishy, just salty like sea water. i eat toasted nori instead of potato chips.
    i have another book that i am getting rid of because it has a lot of fish recipes in it. i use a lot of the vegan recipes though, so i am going to put them up in this thread before i get rid of it. the book is called Vegetables From the Sea: Everyday Cooking With Sea Greens.

classic miso soup

5 dried shiitakes
    4 inch strop wakame, rinsed, soaked, drained, and finely chopped
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
    2 T white miso
    1/2 lb silken tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    3 inch piece fresh ginger or 1 T ginger juice
    1/4 c chopped scallions

lightly rinse the mushrooms under warm running water for 10 seconds. soak them in 1 cup warm water until soft, about 15 minutes. drain, cut off the tough stems, and slice the mushrooms thinly. place the mushrooms, wakame, onion, and carrot in a dutch oven or soup pot with 7 cups water. bring to a boil. reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
    place the miso in a small bowl and add 1/4 cup of broth from the vegetables. using a fork, stir the miso and broth until the mixture is a smooth paste. add the miso and tofu to the pot.
    grate the ginger on a fine grater. squeeze the ginger pulp in the palm of your hand to extract the juice (discard the pulp). add the juice to the pot. stir and simmer for 5 minutes. serve garnished with the scallions.

creamy white bean soup

1 1/2 c cannellini beans, picked over, rinsed and soaked overnight in 3 c water
    1 bay leaf
    2 sprigs thyme
    2 ribs celery, chopped into 1 inch pieces
    1 parsnip, cut into 1 inch rounds
    1 T olive oil
    1 large onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
    2 red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
    3 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
    2 T smoked dulse flakes
    2 t sea salt, or to taste
    dash of black pepper
    olive oil to taste

drain the beans and rinse with cool fresh water. place the beans in a dutch oven or soup pot with 6 cups of water. bring to a boil and boil uncovered for 30 minutes.
    reduce the heat to a simmer, and add the bay leaf and thyme. simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. with tongs, remove the bay leaf and thyme. add the celery and parsnip.
    heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add the onion and potatoes, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to brown, about 5 minutes. the potatoes should be golden at the edges. stir in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. add the potato-onion-tomato mixture to the beans. mix well, adding the dulse flakes, salt, and pepper. simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the ingredients are very soft. ladle the soup into bowls and float a drizzle of olive oil on top of each serving.

curried sweet potato soup

2 T coconut oil
    2 large onions, cut in 1/2 inch dice
    2 1/2 T curry powder
    1/2 t cinnamon
    1/2 t ground cardamom
    6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
    3 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
    8 inch strip wakame, rinsed under cool running water for 3 seconds
    salt and pepper
    12 fresh cilantro leaves

heat the oil in a soup pot over low heat for 10 seconds. saute the onions until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. stir in the curry powder, cinnamon, and cardamom. mix well until the onions are coated with spices and release their fragrance, 2-3 minutes. add the sweet potato and apples to the onion spice mixture. stir to coat well with the seasonings.
    place the wakame strip in the soup pot with 6 cups water. bring to a boil. lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 40 mnutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. using a slotted spoon, left the potatoes and apples from the pot and place them in a blender, filling the contnainer until half full. pour in enough broth to blend easily. avoid overfilling the blender, as hot soup may splash out.
    transfer the blended soup to a clean pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. ladle into individual bowls and garnish each with 2 cilantro leaves.
    variations:
    substitute vegetable stock for water. for an extra rich version use 3 cups coconut milk and 3 cups water or stock. alaria, the atalntic variety of wakame can also be used in this recipe. if substituting use a 4 inch piece of alaria because it is saltier and a bit tougher than wakame.

I usually sprinkle some green seaweed on my food, it doesn´t taste like almost anything when used like that. I have tried to eat sushi, but it tastes so much like fish that sometimes I almost puke. Although I know it is not fish, the taste is just too much sometimes.

I have also heard that people who eat seaweed have a more clear complexion because it cleanses the skin, and that is supposedly why the japanese usually have a beautiful complexion.

spiced slaw
    1/2 c kiri kombu, rinsed under cool running water for 15 seconds
    1/2 c wild nori (or laver) rinsed under cool running water for 15 seconds
    1/2 small head of red cabbage, shredded
    1/2 small head napa cabbage, shredded
    1 small jicama, peeled and cut in thin 2 inch strips
    1/4 red onion, minced
    1 t sea salt

dressing:
    1 c tofutti sour cream
    2 T toasted sesame oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    3 T ginger juice
    1 1/2 T medium hot sauce

bring 2 cups water to a boil, add the kombu and nori, and boil for 15 minutes, drain through a strainer and rinse with cold water for 10 seconds. coarsely chop the sea vegetables together. set aside.
    in a large salad bowl, mix the cabbages, jicama, onion, and salt. work this mixture by ahnd, firmly rubbing the salt into the vegetables. in 5 minutes moisture will be drawn out of the vegetables and onto your hands. add the chopped sea vegetables. mix well.
    whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl. pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss well with two wooden spoons. cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to marinate. stir once before serving.

*regular kombu can replace the kiri kombu, but it requires 10 minutes soaking time after its initial rinsing and before boiling.

wild nori, not processed like sheet "sushi" nori, has an amazing crunchy texture that holds up through rinsing, soaking, and cooking and is also less sweet than sheet nori. once soaked wild nori turns a translucent purplish blue.

wild nori in black eyed peas

5 small sundried tomatoes
    1 c black-eyed peas, soaked in water for 2 hours
    1/2 c firmly packed wild nori
    1 t tamari
    1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
    1 T brown rice vinegar
    1 t umeboshi vinegar
    2 t dijon mustard
    1/2 T pure maple syrup
    1/2 t sea salt
    3 T chopped chives
    3 T minced parsley
    3 T chopped cilantro

cover the tomatoes with 1 1/2 c boiling water and soak for 15 minutes, until they have completely softened. pour off the water and finely chop the tomatoes.
    drain the peas and rinse with cold water. place them in a pot with 4 cups water and bring to a boil. lower the flame and simmer 20 minutes, until tender but not falling apart. drain off the cooking liquid. set aside in a large bowl and add the tomatoes.
    boil the wild nori and tamari uncovered in 1 cup water for 15 minutes, or until all the liquid evaporates. cool, finely chop, and add to the peas.
    whisk together the olive oil, vinegars, mustard, maple syrup, and salt. add the chives, parsley, and cilantro. add the mixture to the peas and stir well. serve chilled or at room temperature.

this is one of my favorites, it is so fresh and clean tasting. you can add a little steamed tofu to make it a more filling dish if you like.

soba salad

8 oz package soba noodles
    1/2 c lightly packed arame
    2 t tamari
    1/2 c toasted sesame oil
    3 T brown rice vinegar
    2 T pure maple syrup
    1 T dijon mustard
    2 t sea salt
    4 c bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
    6 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal

in a large pot boil 3 quarts of water. add the noodles and cook until the noodles are the same color inside and outside, 5-7 minutes. drain and rinse under warm water and place in a large serving bowl.
    rinse the arame in a bowl of cool water for 5 seconds and drain. cover with water and soak for 7 minutes. lift the arame out of the water with your hands and place it in a small bowl. add the tamari and stir well to coat the arame. add ot the noodles, mixing well with two large wooden spoons.
    whisk together in a small bowl the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, and salt. pour the dressing over the noodles, mixing well again. add the sprouts and scallions and give the mixture a quick toss before serving.

this one is only for the hardcore sea vegetable lover. sea vegetables that have been soaked but not cooked more closely resemble those in their natural state.

crunch n brine salad

1 c loosely packed wakame
    1/2 c loosely packed kiri kombu
    1/2 c loosely packed sea palm
    2 T tamari
    6 T brown rice vinegar
    1/4 c pure maple syrup
    1 T plus 1 T umeboshi vinegar

in a large bowl rinse the sea vegetables twice with cool water for 10 seconds and drain well. set aside in a large bowl.
    bring 6 cups of water and the tamari to a boil. pour over the sea vegetables and let sit for 10 minutes. drain.
    whisk together the vinegars and maple syrup. mix well with the sea vegetables. cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

this is delicious served inside radicchio leaves or dressed with smoked dulse and basil infusion.

smoked dulse and basil infusion

1/4 c tightly packed smoked dulse
    1 1/2 c olive oil
    1/2 bulb garlic, cloves peeled and minced
    12 medium basil leaves, coarsely chopped

rinse the dulse under cool running water for a few seconds, then squeeze out excess water. chop into coarse pieces.
    in a glass jar combine the oil, garlic, basil, and dulse. close the jar and let sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours before using. refrigerated, this will keep for 10 days.
    *roasted garlic can be substituted for the garlic.

rosemary with alaria infusion

1/4 c tightly packed alaria
    1/4 t sea salt
    2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and coarsely chopped to make about 2 T

rinse the alaria well in cool water for 15 seconds, then cover with cool water and soak for 10 minutes. lift it out with your hands, squeeze out excess water, and chop into coarse pieces.
    in a glass jar combine the oil, garlic, salt, alaria, and rosemary.

this is perfect summertime food.

citrus hijiki with roasted nuts

1/2 c hijiki
    1 c unsweetened pineapple juice
    1/2 c fresh orange juice
    1/4 t sea salt
    1 1/2 T walnut oil, plus some for drizzling
    1 t balsamic vinegar
    3 blood oranges, separated into pieces without membranes
    2 T chopped fresh dill
    1 bunch frisee
    1/2 c toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped

rinse the hijiki in a bowl of cool water for 15 seconds. drain. soak in the bowl with water to cover for 30 minutes. the hijiki will soak up most of the water. lift the hijiki out of the water with your hands and squeeze out any remaining water. discard the soaking water.
    place the hijiki, pineapple juice, orange juice, and salt in a pot. bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the juice is evaporated, 20-30 minutes.
    transfer the cooked hijiki to a serving bowl. add the oil and vinegar, mixing well. add the orange pieces and dill, tossing lightly to combine.
    place small sections of the frisee on each salad plate and lightly drizzle with walnut oil. place 3/4 c of the hijiki salad in the center of each plate. garnish with the walnuts and serve.

jungle green salad with seeds

1 cd loosely packed kiri kombu
    1/2 c loosely packed arame
    1 c loosely packed sea palm
    1/4 c tamari
    2 T mirin
    1 T pure maple syrup
    1/4 c walnut oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    1 c brown sesame seeds, toasted
    1 c unsalted roasted peanuts, lightly crushed

rinse the kiri kombu, arame, and sea palm together in a bowl of cool water for 10 seconds. drain. repeat
    in a small pot bring 4 cups water, the kombu, arame, sea palm, tamari, mirin, and maple syrup to a boil and boil for 15 minutes, uncovered.
    drain the sea vegetables in a colander and place in a serving bowl. pour the oil and vinegar over the warm sea vegetables and toss well. add all the sesame seeds and peanuts and toss thoroughly again. serve warm.

this is great served over lightly oiled fettuccine.

sweet arame over baby artichokes

8 baby artichokes
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 c loosely packed arame
    1 c olive oil
    10 cloves garlic. chopped
    8 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
    1 T tamari
    2 t sea salt
    black pepper to taste
    1 lb fettuccine or other pasta

trim the artichokes and peel the stems. remove the outer leaves and cuty each artichoke in half lengthwise. place them, until needed, in enough water to cover and add the lemon juice to aboid discoloration.
    rinse the arame in cool water for 5 seconds, then cover with cool water and soak for 10 minutes. lift the arame out of the water with your hands and chop coarsely.
    heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the oil starts to move slightly. remove the artichokes from the water and wipe off excess water.l place cut side down in hte hot oil to fry. the oil should half cover the artichokes. cover the skillet and continue cooking over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until they become light olive green and tender. when they are tender the tip of a sharp knife should go in easily.
    place the garlic in the skillet on top of the artichokes and then layer the arame over the garlic. cook for 10 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant. drain off any excess oil and discard. return the skillet to low heat for 10 minutes, add the olives, tamari, and salt. gently toss to mix. serve over fettuccine or your favorite pasta.

fried tofu in sea palm

1 lb extra firm tofu
    1/2 c sea palm
    1 1/2 c fusilli or rotini
    1/4 c plus 1 T coconut oil or canola oil
    1 red onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, quartered
    1 c coconut milk
    1 1/4 t sea salt
    1/2 c chopped flat-leaf parsley

place the tofu in a shallow bowl. place a weighted plate on top of the tofu. this will press the excess water out of the tofu, allowing it to fry better. press for 30 minutes, then drain off the excess water. the tofu will be denser and less pliable. cut it into fourteen 1/2 inch thick pieces.
    rinse the sea palm quickly in cool water for about 5 seconds. then cover with cool water and soak for 15 minutes. lift out with your hands and set aside.
    bring 4 cups of water to a boil. add the pasta and cook for 12 minutes until al dente. drain and set aside.
    heat the 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 45 seconds, or until the oil maked small spirals. add the pressed tofu slabs. fry until golder brown, 5 to 7 minutes on each side. using a spatula remove the tofu and drain on paper towels. set aside. when cool enough to handle, cut the tofu slabs into 1/4 inch strips.
    in a 5 inch deep pot heat the 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms release moisture an are lightly browned. add the sea palm and stir to avoid sticking. cook for 2 minutes. pour the coconut milk and 1/2 cup oater into the pot, lower the heat to a simmer, add the tofu strips, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. add the cooked pasta and salt. simmer 10 minutes, until the entire mixture is thick and creamy. stir in the parsley and remove frome the heat. serve immediately.

making tempura is a lot of fun, and sea vegetables have a salty taste that makes them wonderful candidates for deep frying. any sea vegetable can be used for tempura. when fried just right tempura is crispy, rich, and satisfying. experiment to discover your favorites or mix them.
    organization is essential. eating tempura fresh and hot is the only way ot enjoy it! have the food, utensils, and paper towels ready. be sure to have separate tongs or chopsticks for putting the arame into the batter and then for lifting it out of the hot oil to be drained.
    serve with rice and a fresh salad and provide each person with a tablespoon of grated raw daikon with a splash of shoyu to help digest the oil.

sea vegetable tempura

batter:
    2 c whole wheat pastry flour
    1 t garlic powder
    2 t arrowroot
    1/2 c beer

2 c loosely packed arame
    2 T toasted sesame oil
    4 shallots, thinly sliced
    2 carrots, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
    1/4 c shoyu
    4 c safflower, sunflower, or canola oil

dipping sauce:
    1/4 c shoyu
    2 T lemon juice
    1 T ginger juice

whisk the flour, garlic powder,k and arrowroot together in a bowl. stirring well add 1 cup water and the beer, creating a medium-thick batter. cover and refrigerate for 30 to 40 minutes. the batter will thicken as it chills.
    rinse the arame in cool water for 5 seconds, cover with water, and soak for 10 minutes. lift it out with your hands and set aside.
    heat the sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat for 10 seconds and add the shallots. saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes. add the arame, 2 cups of water, and 2 tablespoons of the shoyu. bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the carrots and cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. add the remaining 2 tablespoons shoyu and cook for 2-3 minutes more over medium heat. transfer to a bowl and let the mixture cool.
    heat the oil in a wok over medium heat. to test to see if the oil is hot enough, drop in a small amount of batter. it should sink to the bottom, then come right back to the surface. if the oil smokes, it is too hot. using tongs or wooden chopsticks pick up half-dollar-sized portions of the arame mixture and drop them into the chilled batter. quickly lift them out and put them into the hot oil. deep fry on each side until golden, about 2 minutes. fry only 5 or 6 pieces at a time. this way the oil will stay hot. remove each piece separately and place on paper towels to drain. serve immediately with the dipping sauce.
    in a small mixing bowl combine the dipping sauce ingredients and 1/4 c of this mixture into each of 4 dipping bowls.

this dish is very colorful as well as being hearty and filling in cold weather.
    * a tip on deep frying tempeh: use an oil that has no flavor. sunflower, safflower, and canola oils are fine, as they can be heated high without smoking and burning. when heating oil for deep frying use a heavy pot or wok to make sure the oil is warmed evenly and maintains a stable temperature while food is frying. test to see if the oil is hot enough for frying by dropping in a tiny piece of tempeh. if it sinks to the bottom for several seconds and comes back to the top the oil is ready. if it sits on the bottom the oil is not hot enough. if the tempeh barely drops to the bottom and quickly shoots back to the top the oil is too hot. in that case lower the4 heat, wait, and test again.
    serve with steamed vegetables and a side of couscous.

hijiki with deep-fried tempeh

1 c dried hijiki
    8 oz package tempeh, cut into 1 inch cubes
    3 T shoyu
    3 c canola oil
    2 T toasted sesame oil
    1 onion, minced
    4 c apple juice
    2 carrots, cut into 3 inch matchsticks
    2 leeks, white and green parts, thoroughly washed, cut into 3 inch diagonals

rinse the hijiki under cool running water. cover with water and soak for 20 minutes. lift it out with your hands and squeeze out the excess water. chop into coarse pieces.
    place the tempeh cubes in a bowl. add 1 1/4 cups water and 1 T of the shoyu and mix well. let sit for 45 minutes. drain the tempeh and place on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any moisture. set aside.
    heat the canola oil in a skillet for deep frying. put in half the tempeh and deep fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. repeat with the rest of the tempeh.
    in a large skillet, heat the sesame oil and saute the onion until golden, about 10 minutes. add the hijiki and apple juice. cober and bring to a boil. reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until half the liquid has evaporated.
    add the carrots, fried tempeh, leeks, and the remaining 2 tablespoons shoyu. cook for 15 to 20 minutes more, or until the liquid has evaporated.

hijiki snow peas

1/4 c hijiki
    2 t oil
    1/2 lb snow peas
    2 cloves garlic, minced or thinly sliced
    1/2 t sea salt

rinse the hijiki in a bowl with cool water for 10 seconds. drain. add 2 cups fresh water. soak for 30 minutes. lift out the hijiki with your hands, squeeze out the excess water, and chop coarsely.
    heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. add the snow peas and stir constantly for 2 minutes. add the garlic and the hijiki, stirring until the snow peas are bright green and the garlic is fragrant. add the salt, stir, and serve.

stuffed chinese cabbage

1 1/4 c arame
    9 large nappa cabbage leaves
    2 T toasted sesame oil
    1 large onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
    2 carrots, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
    2 ribs celery, minced
    1/2 c currants
    2 T tamari
    1 T mirin
    1 1/2 c walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped

rinse the arame in a bowl with cool water for 10 seconds. drain and set aside.
    bring 6 cups of water to a boil. starting from the bottom of each cabbage leaf, cut a 2 inch inverted V, removing the thick, tough midsection. add 3 of the cabbage leaves to the boiling wter and boil for 3 to 4 minutes until the leaves are wilted and pliable. drain well and set aside. repeat until all the leaves are cooked. reserve the cooking water.
    heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 15 seconds. add the onion and cook 2 minutes, until transparent. add the arame, carrots, celery, and currants, stirring to mix the vegetables and arame well. add 2 1/2 cups of the reserved cooking water, the tamari, and mirin. bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are tender. transfer to a large bowl to cool, about 15 minutes. add the walnuts.
    place a cabbage leaf on a cutting board with the point of the inverted V closest to you. spoon 3 heaping tablespoons of the vegetable mixture into the middle of the leaf. lift the end closest to you and ford it over the mound. fold the outer edges in toward the center, and continue rolling away from you until you reach the end of the leaf. set aside and repeat until all the leaves are filled. serve on a platter or cut the rolls into 2 or 3 pieces and serve cut side up.

dulse mashed potatoes

2 lbs new potatoes with skin, cut in half
    7 large cloves garlic, whole
    1/2 t sea salt
    4 T olive oil
    1 c soy creamer or tofutti sour cream
    1 t garlic-dulse flakes
    black pepper to taste

put the potatoes, garlic, and salt in a pot and cover with cold water. bring to a boil. lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender in the center.
    drain any remaining liquid. add the oil while mashing the potatoes with a fork, potato masher, or ricer.
    gently stir in the cream and garlic-dulse flakes. season with salt and pepper to taste.

DLTs (dulse, lettuce & tomato sandwiches)

2 c loosely packed dried dulse
    1 head green leaf lettuce
    1 package sprouts
    2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
    10 slices of sourdough bread

horseradish spread:
    1 c tofu mayonnaise
    1/4 red onion, minced
    1 T grated horseradish

preheat the oven to 300 degrees farenheit. open up the pieces of dulse and remove any tiny seashells.
    spread the dulse on a baking sheet ina single layer. bake for 4 to 7 minutes until lightly browned. put in a bowl until ready to use.
    blend all the gorseradish spread ingredients well. refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
    spread the horseradish mayonnaise on bread. build sandwiches with lettuce, sprouts, tomato, and dulse.

super for munching, the nori flakes balance the flavor of the sweet ingredients. these are reminiscent of sweet, crunchy candy bars from childhood. they are sticky, chewy, and fun to make with kids.

crispy rice treats

3 c puffed rice cereal
    1 c unsalted roasted peanuts
    1/4 c raw sunflower seeds
    1 c raisins
    1 T nori flakes
    1 c barley malt
    1/2 c pure maple syrup
    1 t pure vanilla extract
    2 t tahini
    1/2 c unsalted peanut butter
    2 t coconut or canola oil

preheat the oven to 325 degrees farenheit. in a large mixing bowl combine the puffed cereal, peanuts, sunflower seeds, raisins and nori flakes. mix and set aside.
    heat a medium saucepan on low heat and add 1 cup of water. add the barley malt, maple syrup, vanilla, tahini, and peanut butter. using a whisk stir constantly until the constistency is uniform, 5 to 8 minutes, being careful not to boil or burn the mixture.
    pour the hot mixture across the cereal mixture. using a wooden spoon, coat the dry ingredients well with liquid mixture. it will be sticky! wet your hands with cool water and mix again, using your hands. mixing will become progressively easier, and the mixture more uniform.
    oil a 12 inch baking pan with the oil. the pan should be very oily to make it easier to remove the mixtrue after baking. with wet hands, press the mixture into the dish. bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until brown. remove from the oven and let cool. as the mixture cools it will harden. remove with a spatula. serve cut into squares or break it like peanut brittle.

hazelnut mousse

5 T agar flakes
    3 c apple juice
    1/2 c pure maple syrup
    1/4 t pure orange extract
    2 T instant decaffeinated coffee flakes, or roasted grain coffee
    3 T hazelnut butter
    2 c toasted, chopped hazelnuts, for garnish

soak the agar flakes in 1/2 c of warm water for 10 minutes.
    in a saucepan slowly bring the apple juice, 1 cup water, the maple syrup, and the soaked agar flakes to a boil. reduce the heat and simmer until the agar is dissolved, about 20 minutes, or until there are no longer any visible agar flakes. stir in the orange extract and instant coffee.
    pour the hot liquid into a shallow pan to cool. when steam is no longer present place the pan in the refrigerator to gel, about an hour.
    put half of the gelled mixture into a blender. add half of the hazelnut butter and blend well.
    repeat the process with the remaining mixture. pour into serving bowls and garnish with chopped nuts.

when soy, grain or nut milks are used with agar it is best to soak the agar in water first, then add it to the milk; milk can cause agar to toughen slightly before it dissolves while heating or if heated quickly.
    you can vary the fruit according to availability or preference.
    after the kanten has set a portion of it can be lightly blended and added like cream to the top. another way to serve this dessert is to blend all of the set kanten and serve it as a mousse, topped with fruit.

three berry kanten

1/3 c agar flakes
    4 c apricot juice
    1 t pure vanilla extract
    1/4 c pure maple syrup
    1/4 c almond milk
    1/4 c fresh raspberries
    1/4 c fresh blueberries
    6 strawberries, thinly sliced

place the agar in a bowl and add enough warm water just to cover the flakes. let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. agar does not dissolve like instant coffee. rather, it absorbs liquid first and swells. it sill look like transparent beads. after swelling, the agar will dissolve when heated.
    place the juice and the dissolved agar in a pot. let sit for 10 minutes.
    gently heat the juice and agar, whisking several times, as you bring the mixture to a boil. lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. add the vanilla, maple syrup, and almond milk and stir to combine. remove from the heat.
    divide the berries into portions and place in glass serving bowls. using a ladle fill the bowls or goblets three-quarters full with the hot juice. let the bowls sit until there is no longer any steam rising. place in the refrigerator until the kanten is firm, 30 to 40 minutes. (agar flakes will not thicken or set until chilled, so you do not have to hurry when filling the bowls).

dulse - watercress salad

1/4 c dried dulse
    1 1/2 c watercress
    1 medium cucumber
    6 c bite-sized pieces bibb lettuce
    2-3 radishes, thinly sliced
    2 T toasted sunflower seeds

place the dulse in a bowl with enough lukewarm water to cover. soak for 5 minutes or until just tender. rinse carefully, drain well, and coarsely chop. place in a medium-sized bowl. peel, quarter, and slice the cucumber. add it to the bowl along with the watercress. toss well.
    divide the lettuce among 4 individual salad bowls or plates. place mounds of the dulse mixture on top, arrange radish slices around the edge and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. add dressing and serve.

lemon-tahini dressing

2 T tahini
    1 T lemon juice
    1 T sweet or mellow miso
    water to desired consistency

place the tahini, lemon juice, and miso in a small bowl or suribachi and combinge well. mix in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is achieved.

tabitha

Ive got a packet of Atlantic Sea Salad in the cupboard which has dulse, sea lettuce and nori in it. I have been sprinkling this on loads of things from soups to hummous etc. Quite like it.

Default Seaweed - any good ideas with it?

We had lightly pickled samphire last night which was a really tasty side dish to adzuki bean sage cottage pie!
    I wish the sea here wasn't so polluted so that we could collect our own seaweed.
    I would be interested to know if anybody else has good ideas with other kinds of seaweed.

Rosalind
    Last edited by flutterby; Sep 7th, 2006 at 04:27 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread.

PygmyGoat

Default Re: Seaweed - any good ideas with it?

I buy the sheets of Seaweed, crumble them up and add them to soups .

I get Thai Boy Nori (seaweed snacks) from the chinese supermarket. Just eat them out the packet. Yum!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    I would be interested to know if anybody else has good ideas with other kinds of seaweed.
    Kombu is an important part of japanese dashi. Lots of vegan friendly recipes call for Kombu or Kombu/Shiitake stock.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

pavotrouge

The Japanese diner near my office has got a great salad made only of hijiki seaweed and chopped carrots + shoyu, sounds weird but is acutally great!

Another thing I can recommend is the faux tuna recipe from "Vegan with a vengeance" made with hijiki and chickpeas.