Thread: HELP! Chinese Buffet - Non-vegan?

Default HELP! Chinese Buffet - Non-vegan?

I'm going to a chinese all-you-can-eat buffet with my friends, thing is, I am thoroughly not looking forward to it. Being a buffet it will be even harder to find out ingredients, as things aren't cooked FOR you, but for everyone. Also I am not the most confident of people, to just go up to a member of staff and ask whats in everything, plus theres a language barrier, unfortunately I don't know 'vegan' or what I don't eat in Chinese. Anyone been to Lucky Star? Or any other primarily non-vegan buffet/restaurant?

Please help!

Blueshark

Default Re: HELP! Chinese Buffet - Non-vegan?

Get a copy of the Vegan Passport. It has the vegan ideals in almost all languages.

But dont be scared to ask the staff, in fact you could phone ahead beforehand. I am sure they will be happy to help you.

As Blueshark suggests, you could phone and ask questions in advance (or pop in if it's near you), that way they can prepare something that you will be able to eat. I know it can be hard to ask so many questions, especially if there is a language barrier, but I always think if I explain what vegan means then I've educated them and it will make it easier for other vegans in the future.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

tabitha

Not long after I went vegan, I went to a thai restaurant. The starter was some sort of fish soup (clear kind). I asked if they had a mushroom soup or something and they just scooped the fishy bits out of the broth and bunged some mushrooms in, so I took one taste and there was this fishy mushroomy smell gag! it was horrible. Same has happened with Indian. I have phoned in advance, asked at the table "please do not cook food in butter" and I can smell the butter from across the room. I mean when you havent had butter for over two years you can taste and smell the difference.

Yeah. Thanks for the help guys. But as Tabitha says, that kind of thing happens to me. And I am sure that will happen today. (Yes today). Which brings me to the point that it is a bit late notice to do anything about it.

tabitha

Its such a pain isnt it because you know you should stick by your principles and lets face it why should it be an issue. You're paying for the bloody meal so you should get what you ask for, but at the same time if you are eating with meat eaters, you can almost hear them say "oh for God sake does it matter". Its at that point I want to say "right, back to my place for beans on toast". Sigh

Blueshark

Nah, Chinese food has great veggie dishes.

Thai is different because it has a large coastline, and thus has a lot fish in the cuisine.

Also buddhism is the predominant religion in China, which is a vegan religion in its purest form.

You cant go wrong with Chinese veg, tofu, boiled rice, sweetcorn soup...and they may even have gluten dishes!

You'll just have to be assertive! It'll be worth it. I explain what vegan means, then query everything they say to double check there is no fish, milk, whatever... Go on, you can do it! They are providing a service and as long as you are clear and polite you should be OK. Hope you have a nice time.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

If they have sushi there ask the waiter to ask the cook to make some veg sushi(it may also be on the menu) I LOVE vegan sushi and that is what I always get when I go out with my bf to our favorite buffet. mmm avocado

I went to Panda Chinese Buffet in Sunderland, I chose it because it looked like the most veggie friendly restaurant in Sunderland. I asked the waitress to show me what was suitable for vegetarians, and she did. There was a lot of nice things but some obviously contained egg so I missed those out.
    I know chinese cooking does not contain milk products anyway so all I had to worry about was egg. There was loads of fresh fruit salad too. I'm going back soon. I could have asked her to show me what was vegan, but I thought vegetarian would be easier.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote herbwormwood
    I know chinese cooking does not contain milk products anyway so all I had to worry about was egg.
    Traditionally sure, but what's traditional about chinese restaurants in the UK? They put plenty of stuff in chinese food which didn't exist in china 200 years ago.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

how did it go tofufish?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

VeganJohn

Quote herbwormwood
    I went to Panda Chinese Buffet in Sunderland, I chose it because it looked like the most veggie friendly restaurant in Sunderland. I asked the waitress to show me what was suitable for vegetarians, and she did. There was a lot of nice things but some obviously contained egg so I missed those out.
    I know chinese cooking does not contain milk products anyway so all I had to worry about was egg. There was loads of fresh fruit salad too. I'm going back soon. I could have asked her to show me what was vegan, but I thought vegetarian would be easier.
    Glad you enjoyed the food. I wouldn't have wanted to confuse those poor Mackems anyway