View Poll Results: When did you switch to a vegan diet?

Voters
580. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1964 or earlier

0 0%
  • 1965-1974

4 0.69%
  • 1975-1984

13 2.24%
  • 1985-1994

42 7.24%

4 0.69%

13 2.24%

6 1.03%

5 0.86%

9 1.55%

15 2.59%

15 2.59%

17 2.93%

25 4.31%

48 8.28%

70 12.07%

71 12.24%

77 13.28%

42 7.24%

33 5.69%

39 6.72%
  • 2011 (Ooops - added Dec-2011!!!!)

17 2.93%

13 2.24%

2 0.34%
  • 2014 (Ooops - added May-2015!)

0 0%

0 0%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: When did you switch to a vegan diet?

Default Re: How long have you been vegan?

Quote Essy Strudel View Post
    Been vegan for about 5 years now, was vegetarian for about 5 years before that. Becoming vegan was honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made.
    Yep, me too. I became l/o in the fall of 2000, vegan in July of 2005. I love it and cannot for the life of me imagine being anything but vegan. I'm actually starting to worry about whether or not there will be nursing homes for me!

The end of next month marks my 20 year veganniversary. Oooh, cake!
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

RubyDuby

Wow! congrats.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Cheers RubyDuby! Best thing ever apart from having a lovely vegan daughter, which totally rules.

Yes, congratulations on your 20th vegan anniversary Paul and your lovely vegan daughter too!

I wish I was celebrating 20 years of being vegan.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

On Tuesday I'm vegetarian for exactly 1 year, 26th August is my first vegan anniversary!

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Wow, congratulations! Brilliant! My 20 year veganniversary is 16 March next year, can't wait! (I thought I was the only person who called it a veganniversary, but glad to see others had the same idea!) Went vegetarian when I was 7, vegan when I was 11. My parents made me see a nutritional "expert" who assured them that my mental and physical growth would be retarded. Thank goodness my parents were too sensible to listen! [I have a PhD, a thriving academic career and am taller than most of my Mum's side of the family, so I got the last laugh there...]
    Hope you have a great celebration horselesspaul!
    Live and let live

Congratulations all. Rainbow, it's interesting your parents made you see the "expert" and then had the sense to ignore the advice You must have been a perceptive and strong-willed 11-year-old!

Definitely strong-willed! I made it very clear that my mind was made up and that was that. My parents were already vegetarian, and the dietician was insisting that I needed to eat fish, so it wasn't too hard for them to dismiss the nonsense that this "expert" was spouting. I don't know if they thought it was a phase I would grow out of, but they made the (wise) decision that the best approach was to make sure I ate as healthily as possible - which would not be the case if they didn't let me embrace my veganism. They were really great about it, actually - from raiding health food shops to negotiating with my school. I believed then, as now, that it was an irreversible decision, and I have never gone back on it (I really don't think I could). My brother went vegan less than two months later and has also never gone back, and my Mum consumes vegan food 90+% of the time. With two vegan kids, she ended up cooking vegan all the time, so I learned to cook as a vegan and have almost no concept of what to do with non-vegan ingredients.
    Live and let live

Congrats Paul, that's awesome!

I think I've been vegan for seven years, or possibly eight. I'm absolutely hopeless with dates and time (pretty ridiculous for a history graduate!). I've been veggie for the majority of my twenties anyway, which is something I'm pretty proud of - almost a decade of no meat!
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Quote Marten View Post
    On Tuesday I'm vegetarian for exactly 1 year, 26th August is my first vegan anniversary!
    Congratulations Marten! I wish I had converted from being vegetarian to vegan far sooner than I did.

Quote rainbow View Post
    Wow, congratulations! Brilliant! My 20 year veganniversary is 16 March next year, can't wait! (I thought I was the only person who called it a veganniversary, but glad to see others had the same idea!) Went vegetarian when I was 7, vegan when I was 11.
    Congratulations rainbow on nearly 20 years of being vegan.

Quote Barry View Post

I think I've been vegan for seven years, or possibly eight. I'm absolutely hopeless with dates and time (pretty ridiculous for a history graduate!). I've been veggie for the majority of my twenties anyway, which is something I'm pretty proud of - almost a decade of no meat!
    You have everything to be proud of Barry!

I love the fact that each year that passes for me now is a vegan year! I became vegetarian when I was 16 and it took me so long to become vegan. I regret that I wasn't vegan much much sooner...........but at least I am now, and have been for nearly 5 years!

Quote sandra View Post
    Congratulations Marten! I wish I had converted from being vegetarian to vegan far sooner than I did.

Congratulations rainbow on nearly 20 years of being vegan.

You have everything to be proud of Barry!

I love the fact that each year that passes for me now is a vegan year! I became vegetarian when I was 16 and it took me so long to become vegan. I regret that I wasn't vegan much much sooner...........but at least I am now, and have been for nearly 5 years!
    5 years = awesome!

Sandra I've just noticed that we joined VF on the same month in the same year (April 2006), but you have almost exactly ten times more posts than me! I think I should be more active on the board..
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Stuart

Past the one year mark, I think it was around May/June of last year I underwent the conversion. It's been easy to keep to the strictures of the lifestyle, but perversely, harder to remember at a moments recital just *all* of the ins and outs, and farming practices that had me so appalled in the first place: there's a lot to remember, but the intitial indignation has held fast it seems in my case.

I forgot to post on here but it was my 5 year 'vegan annivarsary' at the begining of July -celebrated in Rome on holiday by going for a meal at the top veggie restaurant there - and they had a fab vegan choc cake

Sounds good Alison - is the top restaurant there still Margutta? I have been there once or twice but can't remember what I ate; think I must have been overwhelmed by its poshness

Quote alisont View Post
    I forgot to post on here but it was my 5 year 'vegan annivarsary' at the begining of July -celebrated in Rome on holiday by going for a meal at the top veggie restaurant there - and they had a fab vegan choc cake
    Nice one alisont.
    x

Quote Barry View Post

I think I've been vegan for seven years, or possibly eight. I'm absolutely hopeless with dates and time (pretty ridiculous for a history graduate!).
    Seven or eight years? Good job Barry.
    I only remember because I met my lovely daughter BassPixie's mother when she was three months pregnant and she was a vegan and I was a new vegetarian. She decided to become a vegetarian and I became a vegan. Ideally suited...hahaha. We struggled on for another eight years together...
    BassPixie will be 20 next year and she's been vegan since she was 14 and vegetarian from birth. Very proud of her.

Quote Barry View Post
    5 years = awesome!

Sandra I've just noticed that we joined VF on the same month in the same year (April 2006), but you have almost exactly ten times more posts than me! I think I should be more active on the board..
    You should be more active Barry. I for one always love reading your posts.
    I didn't realise we joined together either................it will be 5 years next April hasn't the time flew by?

BassPixie will be 20 next year and she's been vegan since she was 14 and vegetarian from birth. Very proud of her.
    She is a very lucky girl to have two such great parents...............it must be wonderful to have NEVER eaten meat.

I can't believe I've been vegan for so long. I had a little set back where I wasn't vegan for 6-8 months but that was ages ago now, almost three years ago. I was vegan for 2.5 years then + 2.5 years now= 5 years, 6 years in November! I might celebrate and throw a party! :P
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Kimberlily1983

Almost 5 months! Still a baby, but it's for life. (And as I mentioned before, have been vegetarian for over 9 years now)

Woo hoo!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

9 months today! WOOT! *brings out the cookies*
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

Since I joined this forum in October 2005, wow I've got my 5th anniversary coming up I think this calls for a celebration.
    Silent but deadly :p

5 months & 20 days, of the rest of my vegan life
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

four days! woot!

I've been vegan for about a year and a half, and have not felt healthier, a vegan diet helped me bulk up too, when i was a meat eater i was always underweight and lethargic.

I've been vegan for about a year but for the last 3 I have been experimenting with a raw diet & vegan diet.

Out of curiosity do you find a raw diet harder (to stick to, Prepare meals etc) than a vegan diet?

I've been vegan for approx two years although I'm not sure of the exact date because it was a gradual transition from vegetarianism... Before that, I was vegetarian for about 20 years with a few regrettable lapses...

Quote RhegHimself View Post
    Out of curiosity do you find a raw diet harder (to stick to, Prepare meals etc) than a vegan diet?
    Way harder! It felt impossible to stay on top of.

RogerYates

I'm in my 33rd year as a vegan.

I am interested in all the stories about being vegetarian first - I was lucky not to really have had a "vegetarian first" phase and I've always been grateful for that. I support philosopher Gary Francione's call to establish veganism as the moral baseline of a rights-based animal movement (as opposed to Peter Singer's welfare version taken up by the likes of the big welfare corporations such as PeTA): http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/ This involves suggesting to people that they try to be as vegan as possible (on their way to veganism) rather than supposing that there must be a vegetarian stage beforehand.

Clearly, it seems evident that people can get "stuck" in vegetarianism, especially when the animal movement tend to use the terms vegetarian and vegan interchangeably, or use the hybrid, "veg*n," so we are not doing the animals any favours by going along with the fiction that vegetarianism must come before veganism.

This recent blog entry may be of interest too: http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/20....html?spref=fb

Well done to all who are vegan!

Roger.

32+ years? Wow! That's very impressive.
    I was vegetarian first, for more than 4 years. But I was a child and had barely even heard of veganism, and even being vegetarian was a big step that singled me out from the other kids at school. For some, it's less about principles as it is about exploring new worlds and adjusting. I discovered veganism through vegetarianism. While I entirely agree that vegetarianism is a logical fallacy if you want to support animal rights (hence why I shifted promptly to veganism once I learned why eggs and dairy products were bad), I also think that some people enter a swimming pool by dipping a toe in and then lowering themselves in slowly down the ladder, while others sprint off the diving board and plunge in head first, and we should not make the former feel any less welcome in the swimming pool. Of course, that does not mean that we cannot do as you suggest, and make would-be vegetarians more aware of veganism from the outset so that they can make better decisions and avoid the half-way house.
    Live and let live

Roger, first of all, thanks for linking to that blog post about feminism and veganism. I agree with it whole heartedly and now I have a new blog to bookmark, excellent!

I definitely don't think vegetarianism *has* to come before veganism, at all. I do know people who went from omnivore to vegan overnight as it were. I had a long period of vegetarianism though, during which I had a few attempts at veganism, and a lapse back into meat-eating. Like Rainbow I was at school when I went vegetarian, and I found it a big step that singled me out from other kids, too. There is no way my parents would have accepted me going vegan as a 10 year old child and at that age (again like Rainbow) I had only the vaguest notion of veganism and what it was about. As an adult I only really sat down and thought deeply and honestly about the dairy and egg industries in my late 20s, and that was when I made the switch to veganism. I got there in the end, which is what matters.

I think part of the reason why people may get 'stuck' in vegetarianism is that while they care for animals, perhaps they are scared of being seen as 'extreme'. There's also a lot of ignorance even among vegetarians of what a vegan diet consists of. There's also the age old selfish reason that many vegetarians simply don't want to give up the taste of certain animal products they like, such as cheese or eggs, and think 'well I'm doing enough by not eating meat'.

I agree that veganism is the moral baseline, but there is a big difference between someone being vegetarian on the way to being vegan in order to lessen the shock of the diet change (like the people who dip their toe in Rainbow's swimming pool) and someone who thinks vegetarianism is enough and has no plans to shift to veganism. I have no problem with those in the former group, even if the transition takes a while, but the latter group are not much different from omnivores imo. We need to keep raising awareness about vegan food for the benefit of all groups, and the animals too of course.

I've been vegan for 15 years and was lacto-vegetarian for 10 years before that. I initially decided to stop eating animal flesh for moral reasons but continued to eat cheese and products with animal milk. It took me ten years to resolve what I had come to see as an inconsistency in my morality and become vegan. I researched the vegan diet, ecological and health issues but what really tipped me into veganism was the result of examining my belief systems carefully. It was a logical progression - a learning process which required a lot of introspection. I believe education is important but information alone won't encourage people to become vegan. That has to come from inside and can take a long time with some people. I see vegetarians not as being "stuck" but as passing through the same phase I did. Some will progress quickly and some won't in their lifetime - it depends on what they find within themselves.
    “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

Keane

Just over 20 years now, getting on for 21. I couldn't put an exact date on it, it would be sometime during the Autumn of 1989, having become vegetarian sometime during the late Spring of 1986 (when I was 19). Feck me, half my lifetime, where has it all gone?

i must be nice to have been vegan for that long, as you're living proof that there are no longer term ill effects of veganism.

Yesterday was my 4 year veganniversary!! This date has become more important to me than my birthday, although most people in my life wouldn't understand that (but stuff them), as going vegan was the best decision I've ever made.
    Yay to all vegans and love to all creatures x x x

Congrats to everyone who had their veganniversary recently.

I went vegan in January 2006, so not yet 5 years.

Default Re: When did you switch to a vegan diet?

I was a vegetarian for 25 years (since a teenager) before switching to vegan just a few weeks ago. I am sorry it took me so long! I just didn't know anything about the dairy and egg industry, I never watched any videos because I couldn't stand them and the very few vegans I ever met never commented anything about my being vegetarian and not vegan, so I just thought they were extreme... This is why I believe that we should be more friendly towards vegetarians, many of them are just ignorants.

Quote lastx View Post
    I've been vegan for 15 years and was lacto-vegetarian for 10 years before that.
    Lucky you! It took me 25 years, just because of ignorance!

I honestly have no idea of the year... I just decided to go vegetarian one day, and once I realized that eggs and milk etc. were just as bad (if not worse), I went vegan. I know I was in middle school and I am 24 now, so I usually say about 11 or 12 years...
    Check out my (vegan) food blog:
    http://anditsvegan.blogspot.com :):)

Almost 3 years.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

Rocket Queen

I don't have a concrete date. I was vegetarian from being 11, hardly touched any animal products anyways (was always on a diet, which 'helped' me avoid cheese etc!) and then went fully fledged at 16, but had lapses at university when I ate milk chocolate and stuff. This only happened a couple of times, and I knew it was wrong and within a year I had sorted it out and went vegan again. That was when I was 19. So getting on for ten years now, but before then I was *almost* vegan. And even before the decision was made I was a very strict vegetarian who hardly touched any dairy at all, didn't use leather or buy products that were animal tested. I won't include this period in my life though because I think it's akin to someone calling themselves vegetarian because 'Well I don't eat MUCH meat'
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Kimberlily1983

Quote RhegHimself View Post
    I've been vegan for about a year and a half, and have not felt healthier, a vegan diet helped me bulk up too, when i was a meat eater i was always underweight and lethargic.
    Similar but different with me: my vegan diet made my excess 15 pounds of fat fall right off, and has allowed me to do a bit of weight training (I just didn't have the energy before and my recovery times were so long, etc.). I've not been too serious with my fitness routine yet, but have seen good results in my muscle tone, just from changing my diet, despite the fact that I only work out once a week or so. I really want to step up my workouts, though, and see how strong and fit I can get.

Kimberlily1983

Quote RogerYates View Post
    I am interested in all the stories about being vegetarian first....
    My story (I'll be brief): I joined animal rights discussions groups, online, when I was 16-17. I was a meat-eater. People called me on my hypocrisy. I got a lot of "you should be vegetarian" and some "you should be vegan" comments. I decided going vegetarian was something I could do, and that when I got used to that, someday I would make the shift over to being vegan, probably.

Over the years I became more interested in other topics, and animal rights got pushed to the side. As I mentioned elsewhere, at this point (and up until recently) my interest/concern was still on a fairly superficial level. It hadn't really sunken in just what it all meant, in terms of how much we need to change our lives if we take animals seriously as individuals worthy of our respect and consideration. Over the years, it nagged at my conscience more and more, that I should be vegan, not lacto-ovo veg. I was aware of my hypocrisy, but I was denying my responsibility to some extent, telling myself I was causing far less harm than other people at least (I ate a lot of cheese, so it's not clear to me that this was even true now), and that my vegetarian diet wasn't that healthy, how could I manage a healthy vegan diet (because I thought this would be so much harder to do)?

Then a bit more than half a year ago, I was in an ethics class, and I was studying animal rights. My hypocrisy was staring me right in the face. I couldn't ignore it any longer. I decided I wanted to supplement the articles I was reading with actual footage, etc. so I went searching on YouTube, and I came across the documentary Earthlings. I watched half one day, then finished it the next. It was certainly the most emotionally draining educational experience I've ever had. After this I knew I would never contribute to this exploitation ever again.

I wish I had known how easy it would be, and how much better I would feel. As a vegetarian I imagined that I would feel weak if I went vegan, that I'd be missing important nutrients, that I'd be craving cheese all the time. If I had known what was really in store (increased vitality, clarity, health in general; weight loss and easy weight maintenance afterwards; zero cravings, etc. I used to suffer from chronic iron deficiency as a vegetarian - this problem cleared up when I went vegan) I wouldn't have been so afraid to make this choice.

Here's a woman who went vegan in 1922:

Loreen Dinwiddie, 108, Credits Vegan Diet for Longevity

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

leedsveg

When did I switch to a vegan diet? At the same time that I became a vegan. Before that I'd just been on a total plant food diet.

Leedsveg

Wow! Loreen Dinwiddie is amazing for 108 years old! I wonder if she had a vegetarian phase or just went vegan straight away when she was 19. She obviously doesn't agree with the argument sometimes used by Christians to justify meat and dairy consumption, that God created the animals for the benefit of humans.

I switched to a vegan diet gradually, I was vegetarian first, then gradually gave up eggs and dairy produce until I became totally vegan about 30 years ago now. I'm really glad I became vegan before becoming a mother, so that all 3 of my children are life vegans. The eldest is now 26 and super-fit, living proof that all the dire warnings I received from family and health professionals about the dangers of veganism to growing children were uninformed, prejudiced nonsense.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

58 days ago

LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

89 years that woman's being doing it? Jesus, I was happy when I realised I'd been doing it for 1 the other month!