View Poll Results: When did you switch to a vegan diet?

Voters
580. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1964 or earlier

0 0%
  • 1965-1974

4 0.69%
  • 1975-1984

13 2.24%
  • 1985-1994

42 7.24%

4 0.69%

13 2.24%

6 1.03%

5 0.86%

9 1.55%

15 2.59%

15 2.59%

17 2.93%

25 4.31%

48 8.28%

70 12.07%

71 12.24%

77 13.28%

42 7.24%

33 5.69%

39 6.72%
  • 2011 (Ooops - added Dec-2011!!!!)

17 2.93%

13 2.24%

2 0.34%
  • 2014 (Ooops - added May-2015!)

0 0%

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you switch to a vegan diet?

Smile When did you switch to a vegan diet?

*claps* yay! today is my half year mark for being vegan. six months vegan now

how long has everyone else been vegan

Congratulations - its been 10 months for me.

regards,
    globesetter

Unregistered

Just one month. But I can`t picture myself eating meat ever again; it has really started to digust me.

Aargh! I did it again;must remember to login before replying...

It's been about 4 years after about 10 years of being veggie. After a year, I experienced a huge surge in energy. However, this might have been from quitting cigarettes, which I was somehow able to at the same time I became vegan, after 10 years of smoking. Anyway, I've never been so healthy. I can't believe I ate all that toxic sludge for so long (milk, eggs, etc.).

Congratulations!!!!
    I am now 14 years vegan. I remember being 6 months vegan. That's when I visited an international vegan festival and met other vegans for the first time. There were some people that had been vegan for 10 years or longer. That seemed so far away back then...

I don't really know when I went truely vegan as I was a total vegetarian for a while beforehand, but I've been raw vegan for almost fifteen months.

Oh, and the hard part wasn't the food, it was all the crazy other products they find ways to pump dead bodies into. That took a while to sort out.

ohhh i want to be a raw foodist very much.

foxy, there's plenty of information out there. The only hard part for a lot of people is learning to eat more, and of course finding a good supply of varied organic produce. Not that you can't do it with conventional produce, but organic tastes so much better, and of course isn't poisonus.

ohhh i love organic food. its mostly all i eat!

Same here!

Smile

I have been vegan for a year...veggie on and off for 8 years before that!

Almost four beautiful years. After ten of being vegetarian.

i notice most people were vegetarian before they became vegan. that surprizes me, as i never ever had even thought about not eating meat before i became vegan.

I didn't even know what a vegan was at age 12. Later, I thought that vegans were nuts. Milk and eggs don't hurt no one, right? It's hard to be compassionate in this cruel world.

4 years in august. I was veg for a couple of years before that.

Same here, John. When I went vegetarian, I had no intention of ever becoming vegan. I didn't see any point in it.

14 years vegan. Before that 5 years vegetarian.

I've been a vegan for about 10 years--vegetarian for many years before that.

I didn't know that "veganism" was possible. (I hadn't done enough reading, of course!)

Best regards,
    Kukla's Mom

yeah i went veggie at the age of 12 (i'm now 24) and my parents said it was ok as long as i didn't want to be vegan 'cos vegans are just WEIRD!!!! according to them....

well now i don't live with them they can't stop me! went vegan 10 months ago, the best thing i ever did.
    i thought being veggie was enough for far too long

About 4 months then i quit, and now i'm back to veganism for one day now
    In the forest, in the night
    Underneath the full moonlight
    She’s always there
    Nature’s child in the woodland air
    Fade into the dream
    And when your heart is filled with fear
    Close your eyes for she is here
    She’s always there
    The stars shine in her raven hair
    Fade into the dream

Administrator

Poll added!

Hi, we took Tofu Monsters idea and made a poll with a little more detailed options than the other we had, and merged it with this thread. To make things simple, we deleted the old poll, so if you already have voted, please vote again!

If you switched to a vegan diet more than once, use the first year.

ConsciousCuisine

I wasn't what you could call 100% Vegan as a child, because my mother occasionally gave my siblings and I cod liver oil as a "tonic" and she followed other popular trends in natural diet at the time by forcing us to eat liver on a few occasions because someone said we were anemic since we didn't eat meat or drink milk. Also, we had hens and ate eggs about 4 times a year. So, we weren't constantly "vegan" but certainly followed an alternative diet with wheatgrass, popcorn with nutritional yeast as "dinner" or a bowl of greens, flax seed, homemade breads so thick you could stop a leak in a boat with a slice and no dairy or meats 99.9% of the time during my childhood.

So far there have only been 12 responsed to the poll. Not much is it?

drussell4801

I was vegan for 2 years, ending in 2001. I became malnourished because I didn't pay attention to my diet at all. I just started back up about 2 weeks ago. Gonna do it right this time.

drussell4801

[B]I was vegan for 2 years, ending in 2001. I became malnourished because I didn't pay attention to my diet at all. I just started back up about 2 weeks ago. Gonna do it right this time.

i celebrated my first year of veganism just the other day, july 17th. i had quit eating most dairy (other than cheese) and all meat other than fish, the i realized how much of a hypocrite i was being. i had also been trying to go vegan for a long time.. and now after a year i feel more healthy than ever, as well as feeling like a better person.

Never heard of veganism until i was 14 in 9th grade(2001), in october, then went vegan in november, this year is my third year being vegan. I was vegetarian for about/less than a year, then found out about animal cruelty and veganism from another student friend, and went vegan afterwards. So glad i met her and made the choice! ^_^

Never heard of veganism until i was 14 in 9th grade(2001), in october, then went vegan in november, this year is my third year being vegan. I was vegetarian for about/less than a year, then found out about animal cruelty and veganism from another student friend, and went vegan afterwards. So glad i met her and made the choice! ^_^

I've been vegan for 2 days I've been a vegetarian for almost 8 years. A few months after I went veggie, I tried veganism for a couple of months, but didn't see it through. I decided a couple of days ago that it was time to do more. My daughter (2) is a vegetarian so far, but my partner is a meat-eater. I can only hope that I can influence her and educate her enough to follow my example. She loves to see farm animals and her favorite movie right now is Babe...so there ya go

Been vegetarian for a few months now, and am about to go vegan grocery shopping for the first time today.

Veganmama

I became a Vegetarian 19 years ago and have been a Vegan for about 6 of those years

Hi veganmama, are you part of the Vegans Unite group? http://www.vegansunite.org.au/melbourne/index.php

Veganmama

no eve, i'll go and check it out, thanks

Vegan Esquire

September 1 will be seven years for me! (vegetarian since 1988, and vegan since 1997) I can't remember life before veganism! I remember when I went vegetarian - I was already the black sheep of the family, but for some reason this threw everyone into a panic. They thought it was so odd. They asked, "But you eat eggs and dairy, right?" I said, "Of course! Vegans are just freaky extremists." Oh, god. I was so brainwashed! All it ook was a "Why Vegan?" - Thanks Vegan Action!

Vegan Esquire

September 1 will be seven years for me! (vegetarian since 1988, and vegan since 1997) I can't remember life before veganism! I remember when I went vegetarian - I was already the black sheep of the family, but for some reason this threw everyone into a panic. They thought it was so odd. They asked, "But you eat eggs and dairy, right?" I said, "Of course! Vegans are just freaky extremists." Oh, god. I was so brainwashed! All it ook was a "Why Vegan?" - Thanks Vegan Action!

Interesting poll....!
    Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals.
    -Theodor Adorno (1903-1969), German Jewish philosopher forced into exile by the Nazis

I became vegan a few days ago, after three years of being vegetarian. I never thought eggs and dairy were so... so... so... Cruel! I am going to try to get a vegan campaign organized somewhere here in iceland, and Currently working on influencing my friends. I'm also going to some other forums, (www.rumandmonkey.com) to explain my point there. Actually, my influence to become vegan was www.milksucks.com . So far I'm doing very well in my veganism, and confusing my friends quite a bit. heh, I feel better mentally and physically. I'm really happy I found this forum, now I'm looking for more vegans around my age here in Iceland, mabe just close by, like norway or denmark or sweden? Yay, I speak a lot!

Quote l337_v3g4n_1
    I am going to try to get a vegan campaign organized somewhere here in iceland
    Wow! A vegan in Iceland!
    I have only been to the Iceland airport when flying Iceland Air once. That was a rough airport to find some vegan food! Couldn't even find an apple or something!
    I would like to wish you a lot of luck starting something there!

Talking :d

Quote Wanda
    Wow! A vegan in Iceland!
    indeed, it's cool. First one in Iceland with my name, and one of the few vegans. A little about me: I wouldn't hurt a fly.

(I like the big grin smilie)

Default Vegan 5 Days

I've been vegan 5 days so far!

I've only been vegan for about two months, and honestly I haven't seen much difference, even though before that I was an evil, hypocritical carnivore. I'm definitely proud of myself though.

I guess for me, the changes have mostly been mental - before, I practically refused to eat anything green, my favorite food was steak, and I seriously believed that meat was necessary for good health; now I keep catching myself forgetting that meat and fur are still legal.

Good for you TwentyfiveButtons! Positive mental changes are a good thing

I went veggie at the age of 11 after seeing a cow shot with a captive bolt gun learned all I could about being veggie got into animal rights at 15 went vegan at 17 - 18ish dead strict by 19... errrmmm I am 33 now...sssshhhh no old bugger jokes...

On a health note, I was a tubby little buggerback then I am not now..I have more of a zest for life and loads more enegy. And I have been told I look a lot younger than my age (tend to act it as well LOL) which all in is not a bad thing and yes I think veganism has had lots to do with it.

I need to keep up my vegan vits otherwise I can get ill easy in the winter but my stamina and strength is far better than ever.

Is that the kind of example you mean ? hope I understood the thread ok
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

My friends said I wouldnt last a month. Its now been a year

Now thats going to show what an old bugger I am lol
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

wuggy

I've been meatless for 16 years, vegan for a sum total of 4.5 years, with an unfortunate break in the middle!
    Life-long commitment now.

I became vegetarian on the 11th of January 1992, and often vegan but now have been vegan since 1999. It took me a year to convince my Mum, but became vegetarian when I was 14. Only recently have I been associating with other vegans.

I've been vegan for maybe 4 years, veggie for maybe 3 years before that, but as it was a transition from one to other, no real date was diaried.

Default Veganniversary

Yay! I don't remember what date in October I stopped eating animal products, but it was definitely in the mid or early part. I wasn't a vegan until about November or December when I stopped the use of animal products in other respects, but I digress.

After just one year, my cholesterol is 142 (though I don't know what it waas before). My LDL/HDL ratio is 2.9, which is considered optimum and I guess what most vegans are!

I'm so happy to hear that my horrible prior diet/effects from it are being reversed every single day with my healthier, more ethical way of eating and living.