Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Do vegans need supplements? Do you take any? Which do you take?

Default Re: Do vegans need supplements? Do you take any? Which do you take?

Quote CoolCat View Post
    The idea of a higher dose is to ensure your body takes in at least enough of it. With most vitamins excess is simply peed out and considered harmless. But B6 is different from what I read, if you aren't low in B6 than I would be a bit worried about the B6 being 429%. You might want to read about that one. The VEG1 of the Vegan Society has 143% EU RDA of B6.

Are you low in vitamin C? On a average healthy diet it would be hard to be low on that. It's a bit of a marketing scam to have people use vitamin C as "wonder supplement"...
    Thanks for your help everyone I am getting some vit c but apparently not enough. Still feels a little weird getting what I need in tablet form but at least its helping keep me healthy.

I went back into Holland and Barrett and they showed me some information on the vitamins I was worried about demonstrating that they are fine to take a higher amount and said that those not needed by the body just pass through you.

Question.. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what time in the day to take them??

Hey guys, phew this thread is so long...is there any chance we can shorten it to the essential information?

I was just thinking about the same thing, I have been vegan for 5 month now and haven't even started my B12 tablets yet.. But I was also looking into other supplements and the market of supplements is so overwhelming!!

So I have compiled a list of what I am planning to take and wonder if anyone could tell me if this is a good idea?

B12: Veg1 from the vegan society and fortified vegan products (I hate Marmite, sorry :-() - it also contains:
    Vitamin B2
    Vitamin B6

Vitamin D
    Folic Acid
    Iodine
    Selenium

D3: I found a vegan D3 supplement, we don't have much sun here :-(
    Omega 3: Flaxseed Oil

I also wanted to use the following supplements for general health:

Barley Grass Powder
    Spirulina
    Chlorella
    Gingko
    Ginseng
    Kelp

I haven't thought about Iron or Calcium yet but hope I can get enough from a balanced diet.
    It sounds like a lot of supplements though :-(

Am I just being a bit over the top?

Also I still don't get the whole B12 issue about inactive and active B12 (or whatever it is called)..what's the difference?

Quote thegreenjudy
    So I have compiled a list of what I am planning to take and wonder if anyone could tell me if this is a good idea?

B12: Veg1 from the vegan society and fortified vegan products (I hate Marmite, sorry :-() - it also contains:
    Vitamin B2
    Vitamin B6

Vitamin D
    Folic Acid
    Iodine
    Selenium

D3: I found a vegan D3 supplement, we don't have much sun here :-(
    Omega 3: Flaxseed Oil

I also wanted to use the following supplements for general health:

Barley Grass Powder
    Spirulina
    Chlorella
    Gingko
    Ginseng
    Kelp

I haven't thought about Iron or Calcium yet but hope I can get enough from a balanced diet.
    It sounds like a lot of supplements though
    Heya thegreenjudy, I just have a couple of questions:

I'm just wondering why you want to take kelp when you would already get iodine from your multi?

Do you want to take the ginseng for energy? If you're taking the chlorophyl-filled greens such as chorella/spirulina and barley grass you shouldn't need an extra energy supplement. I don't know alot about gingko because health food shop here in Ireland aren't allowed sell it, I think it's to do with how it may interfere with other medications (its the same with St John's wort, if you want it you have to get it in a chemist).

I take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement and an omega 3, to be honest I think that's all you really need. I understand that its easy to get overwhelmed by the amount of supplements but I'd recommend starting off with the multi and omega and see how you get on. Then if you want to you can encorporate other supplements.
    Houmous atá ann!

I wouldn't take kelp only for the iodine. I think it's got great health benefits on the whole. I want to take Gingko for my ADHD as it can improve brain performance and is generally good for your circulation. But yeah, maybe I don't need it if I take Chlorella, Spirulina and Barley Grass

Ideally I'd just like a multivitamin that has b12, iodine, vitamin d (vegan d3) and zinc as those are the things lacking from my favourite foods - too bad nobody seems to have the exact same needs so it's never made

I've been taking one 500mcg B12 tab daily, had a blood test yesterday and spoke to the doc just now, apparently I've been taking too much so I've got to take a week off, then I'm dropping down to 100mcg. (This is despite doing lots of naughty things that should lower my b12.)
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I've just changed from using Veg1 to Lifeplan Multivitamin & Iron.

Its has basic amounts of the important vitamins (which still allows for me to get more through fortified foods), and is far cheaper - 150 tablets are £4.54 from Amazon with free delivery compared with 90 tablets of Veg1 at £5.48 before delivery
    Each tablet provides %RDA %RDA
    Vitamin A 800µg 100 Pantothenic Acid 6mg 100
    Vitamin D 5µg 100 Iron 14mg 100
    Vitamin E (Nat. form) 12mg 100 Iodine 150µg 100
    Vitamin C 80mg 100
    Thiamin (B1) 1.1mg 100
    Riboflavin (B2) 1.4mg 100
    Niacin 16mg 100
    Vitamin B6 1.4mg 100
    Folic Acid 200µg 100
    Vitamin B12 2.5µg 100
    Biotin 0.05mg 100

I've been taking some magnesium (just to complete the daily needs and my anxiety with upcoming exams), probiotics, turmeric and charcoal (all of them for my intestines, the beauty of food intolerance !), a multivitamin for my hair (and to boost me, for my exams) with all the B vitamins, C, D, E,zinc, iron, selenium, calcium, copper, chromium, manganese.
    I don't believe in constant supplements in our diet (except for turmeric, it's anti-inflammatory), but they do help.
    I plan to add coenzyme q10 to my diet for winter, it boosts your immunity when combined with probiotics, as well as maybe vitamin D, according to my results, and iodine (i see a doctor every month so i follow her recommendations).

I am taking some vitamin B12 as i am very low on this prescribed by my doc after some blood test who showed that i had some deficiency. it is 50 micrograms B12 one tablet twice a day . I have to say I am feeling less tired than I used too .

Not currently a vegan

Default Re: Avoiding supplements with special worry for b12

Quote Fruitbat View Post
    Vitamin b12 yeast spreads (I buy Meridian's) are they reliable source of B12 and are they the right form of b12 that the body can use as I am trying to avoid taking supplements anymore.

For calcium I eat tahini and almonds in abundance

For Iron i eat spinach and watercress in abundance

For Zinc (and I think I need to pay more attention to this one) I eat brazil nuts about once a week

For Essential fats I eat linseeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds ad avocadoes

For antioxidants I eat sweet potato, red peppers, broccoli, peas, kiwis, watercress and organic carrots every week

For vitamin C I eat eaps of fruti and veg

For vitamin D i go in the sun 15 minutes a day

For vitamins B I eat nuts, seeds and mushrooms

For protein I eat tofu, nuts, seeds, beans, lentil, rice, quinoa and some processed soy meals

For fibre fruti and veg

My biggest fault is not enough carbs I think.

you get Vit D from 15 mins in the sun?
    im sorry but not in the uk you dont
    i live in london and there is no way i can aquire vit D from the sun from the UK weather paturns ans seasons
    hence why people in the UK do Suffer SAD sydrome esp in the thick of winter when we get about 6-7 hrs of day light and if it is a foggy ot heavily over cast day and it is cold out side there is no way you are obtaining the dietry requiremnts for the UK
    so i recomend you find a suppliemnt for Vit D as im going to

apart frm the vit D
    the rest is very usefull to know thank you =D

Default Re: Avoiding supplements with special worry for b12

Quote Skasha View Post
    you get Vit D from 15 mins in the sun?
    im sorry but not in the uk you dont
    i live in london and there is no way i can aquire vit D from the sun from the UK weather paturns ans seasons
    hence why people in the UK do Suffer SAD sydrome esp in the thick of winter when we get about 6-7 hrs of day light and if it is a foggy ot heavily over cast day and it is cold out side there is no way you are obtaining the dietry requiremnts for the UK
    so i recomend you find a suppliemnt for Vit D as im going to

apart frm the vit D
    the rest is very usefull to know thank you =D
    Heya, just a few things on the Vitamin D claims!

The average amount of sunlight in London per day is around 4 hours each day across 365 days of the year, the lowest being around 1.3 hours in December to 6.9 hours in June.[1] On top of that the percentage of UV blocked by clouds is obviously dependent upon the coverage of clouds. On a scattered day it can be around 20-30% on a more intense day it can be 30-40% blocked and on an overcast day it's anything up to 75%. On top of that, a little known fact is that some clouds actually amplify the UV rays of the sun. Which is quite interesting.

And about vitamin D itself, vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin[2], which means it can be stored, and it is stored in tissues for later use. Your winter use of vitamin D is directly related to how much vitamin D your body stored during the summer months. So it is entirely naturally for someone to have lower scores of vitamin D during the winter and above average or average stores of vitamin D during the winter. Also using an SPF sunblock of around 8-15 eliminates the skins ability to produce vitamin D by 95-99%. You, even living in London, will not be low on vitamin D purely because it's a little cloudy during the winter, so long as you have adequately spent time during the summer/spring months getting enough sunlight.

Vitamin D supplementation is really not needed, just knowledge into the actual vitamin and how it works is needed.

Edit: Forgot to add the sources incase you wish to read a little about it too!

[1]: http://www.london.climatemps.com/
    [2]: http://www.dermnetnz.org/systemic/vitamin-d.html

Everyone in Europ is potentially subject to vitamin D deficiency, and we're not all equal in its making either. Some could bathe in the sun all day and still be supplemented.

I take vitamin D supplements (ironically i stopped taking my supplements last summer because it was summer, and i'm still paying it today as three months were enough to make me fall into deficiency again), magnesium, a blend for blood circulation issues, vitamin C, plants for tonus and stress, and i'm still so tired my doctor told me to take co Q10 and probiotics again. Believe me when i say i pray for sun and higher temperatures.

I think it's important to get tested before taking supplements. If you take them without needing them, then you could be doing more harm than good. Not so much a problem with water-soluble vitamins, but could definitely be a problem with fat-soluble vitamins. Taking just one or two vitamins could also throw other things out of balance. If you think you're low on any vitamin or mineral, then get tested first, otherwise how will you know how much to take? As well as possible risks, you could just be wasting your money if you don't need what you take.

Quote Aurore View Post
    Everyone in Europ is potentially subject to vitamin D deficiency, and we're not all equal in its making either. Some could bathe in the sun all day and still be supplemented.

I take vitamin D supplements (ironically i stopped taking my supplements last summer because it was summer, and i'm still paying it today as three months were enough to make me fall into deficiency again), magnesium, a blend for blood circulation issues, vitamin C, plants for tonus and stress, and i'm still so tired my doctor told me to take co Q10 and probiotics again. Believe me when i say i pray for sun and higher temperatures.
    It's not just in Europe. I read a report recently that 20% of women in Bangkok are deficient in Vitamin D. Possibly down to the fact that many in Thailand like to have white skin, so never go out in the sun without an umbrella.

I've just realised the sheer amount of vitamins I am currently taking..
    Back from my ED days, I used to rely on vitamins heavily as I didn't really eat. I also had horrendous acne growing up and so took (and still continue to take) huge amounts of vitamin B (which did clear it up) and vitamin E.

So combining all my tablets, my current intake (purely in supplement form)

*drumroll*

Vitamin A - 2664 iu
    Vitamin B1 - 5.3mg
    Vitamin B2 - 6mg
    Vitamin B6 - 10mg
    Vitamin B12 - 4.5 ug
    Vitamin C - 1090mg
    Vitamin D - 200 iu
    Vitamin E - 562mg
    Calcium - 200mg (although I have fortified coconut milk also)
    Copper - 1.5mg
    Folic Acid - 700ug
    Iron - 14mg
    Niacin - 54mg
    Pantothenic Acid - 18mg
    Zinc - 45mg

As stupid as it sounds, I've been taking this on auto-pilot for about 8 years without much thought. My poor liver! I'm going to read up on it all and cut them out, despite my fear of bad skin

Quote s_am View Post
    Vitamin A - 2664 iu
    Vitamin B1 - 5.3mg
    Vitamin B2 - 6mg
    Vitamin B6 - 10mg
    Vitamin B12 - 4.5 ug
    Vitamin C - 1090mg
    Vitamin D - 200 iu
    Vitamin E - 562mg
    Calcium - 200mg (although I have fortified coconut milk also)
    Copper - 1.5mg
    Folic Acid - 700ug
    Iron - 14mg
    Niacin - 54mg
    Pantothenic Acid - 18mg
    Zinc - 45mg
    Hi S_am, do you take all of those seperately or in a multi? I hope that you're doing okay with your ED
    Houmous atá ann!

Hey Blueberries, I take it in the form of;

1x vegan multivitamin
    2x B Complex
    1x Superdose Vitamin C
    2x Zinc + Copper
    2x Vitamin E

If anything, I just can't stop eating since being vegan, it's insane! I only go through bouts of not eating under extreme stress, which thankfully I haven't had in a year or so. So I'm the healthiest I've ever been x

I just usually take a multivitamin. Most cereals are typically fortified as well, if you don't mind a little added sugar with your vitamin. It's usually tastier than the multivitamin anyway.
    So for me it's Life Cereal with some flax seed mixed in and soymilk. And I also try to throw in some nutritional yeast a few times a week (but not in my cereal!). When I go have my annual wellness visit next year, I'll be able to tell then if I'm deficient in anything. But so far I'm trying to eat a balanced diet.

The only problems I really have are with vitamin C and citrus. I can eat Mandarin oranges but that's pretty much it. Every time I try to eat a regular orange or drink orange juice, I break out in a rash and literally itch from the top of my head to my toes for a good week (Benedryl helps but doesn't make it go away). I can also get away with eating Clementines. Fortunately my multi vitamin has a lot of C in it, which is one reason why I picked it. One can only eat so many mandarin oranges and clementines before getting bored of them for a while. Strawberries are also a tasty alternative for Vitamin C.

As a side note: sometimes multivitamins can affect the way that prescribed medications work (it affects how well the body absorbs the medicine). So if you taking any medications, make sure you space out your multi so you take them at least an hour apart. Sometimes a medicine will also tell you what supplements will affect the medication and how long to wait before or after taking supplements. So always check your labels and inserts!
    Last edited by Tabbycat; May 10th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

Quote s_am View Post
    Hey Blueberries, I take it in the form of;

1x vegan multivitamin
    2x B Complex
    1x Superdose Vitamin C
    2x Zinc + Copper
    2x Vitamin E

If anything, I just can't stop eating since being vegan, it's insane! I only go through bouts of not eating under extreme stress, which thankfully I haven't had in a year or so. So I'm the healthiest I've ever been x
    s_am I am glad to hear you are doing well in regards to the ED! I am really struggling with mine (I have had this for many years). When I first went vegan I actually went through a nice recovery period and I LOVED to eat. I still enjoy vegan cooking very much. I was able to put on some needed weight and enjoy eating again. But life has been so incredibly stressful in the last year as I am juggling work and school personal family issues and I find myself slipping further into madness again. But I remember for a long time I ate all the time and really truly enjoyed food again as a vegan. I hope you don't feel bad about eating! It sounds like you are really taking great care of yourself and it gives me a little inspiration!

I find that I can't take a multivitamin as I start feeling horrible. I think something in it interacts with my thyroid meds. I take a vegan algae derived DHA and calcium/D/magnesium (vegan) supplements as I have osteoporosis (I have already fractured but adding the D and calcium has helped slow this). I also take a B complex sublingual. Other than that it's just my thyroid med and a synthetic hormone replacement due to loss of ovaries at a young age and unable to function without it. The vitamin D I usually only take in the winter months as my levels test healthy in the summer from bike riding daily to work but low in the winter and I can't take chances with my horrible bones. Ironically it was the fracture I got last autumn that made me have to stop running (let alone the ordeal of trying to get around in so much pain) that triggered a relapse in my ED. All that said, I personally think one can get the majority of their needs met eating a healthy balanced diet but the B 12 is wise to supplement for sure as a vegan.

Hey Robinwomb,

Sorry to hear about your ED. It sounds like you have a good outlook, though and you know how scrummy and nutritionally veganism can be!

I used to always feel grotty after taking my supplements in the morning, so I found it much better taking them with dinner- perhaps that would help?

I always found that not feeling in control (like with you not being able to run at the moment) always triggered my ED.

I really hope you start feeling better soon! I'm just a message away

I posted this info in another place but this thread seems more appropriate. Recent research has found another important vitamin. Vitamin k2 which regulates the calcium to into your bones instead of your blood vessels (plaque) is difficult for vegans to get without supplements.

It is also important for rice eaters to be aware that recent testing for arsenic by Consumer Reports shows that some brown rice has 30 times the allowable maximum in drinking water in USA. Arsenic is a know carcinogen. (300 vs 10 ppb).

I use vital greens which is vegan and contains all this
    http://www.vitalhealtheurope.com/vit...ns-ingredients

I mix it in a raw veg juice sometimes I add spirulina to my citrus juices as you can't mix vital greens with them.
    I was taking a vegan b complex and iron tablet on top but I just had my blood taken and my
    everything was super except my Iron levels were too high...
    So i'm cutting them out and just sticking to the vital greens and herbal teas.

Hi all,

Anyone know the best supplement brands available in the US? Looking for vegan (obviously! : D) but it's really important that they are whole food, organic with no GMO's, fillers, excipients, binders or flow agents rubbish in them! Pointless otherwise in my book! Looking for equivalent or as close to Terra Nova: http://terranovahealth.com/terranova/

So far looking at:
    http://healthforce.com/about-healthforce
    http://www.good4lifeshop.com/Organic/ These guys seems to be the best and more % per dose.
    http://www.optimallyorganic.com/
    http://www.thesynergycompany.com/v/about.html

Any thoughts/advice most welcomed! Thanking you!

I may be wrong, but i think Solgar could match your criteria.