Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do vegans need supplements? Do you take any? Which do you take?

that article is a little worrying. i have been taking a high-strength evening primrose oil supplement for a while, which is 1000mg, and the article says anything over 270mg increases the risk of death.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i JUST heard about this with vitamin e. u never know what to think anymore. calcium or no calcium. vitamin e or no vitamin e *rolls eyes*
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

It's my understanding that we vegans only need about 400-500 mg of calcium a day, according to Dr. Neal Barnard of the PCRM. This is because the RDA from the US is specifically taking into account all of the calcium that omnivores typically lose from the excess protein and subsequent depletion of calcium through urine. I get my calcium by eating broccoli, grains, and legumes every day (probaby other sources, too, like rice milk and some other food I'm not thinking of )

There's no poll option for "when I remember to."

Now there is.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote Korn
    Now there is.

HeHe, I chose that one!!

Default what did you swallow whole today?

talking about supplements

my daily bag of sweets consists of b12, st john's wort (as of today), agnus cactus (as of today), omega 3, 6 and 9, acidophelus (sp?), and ginseng, but i do wonder how much effect these things have taken all at once and in pill form (?)

so what did you swallow whole today?
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 5th, 2004 at 08:26 AM. Reason: This was the first post in another thread about the same subject
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

PinkFluffyCloud

That is a leading question................hate to think what the likes of Geoff might reply!!
    Today I swallowed St.John's Wort (hope he didn't mind!), Flaxseed Oil capsule, Multi-vit, and GTF Chromium whole.
    I swear by the St.John's Wort, but often wonder about the others........
    I also swallowed a large piece of Mushroom whole, because my son made me jump and I forgot to chew it.....nearly choked me!

2 Chunks of Green & Blacks Chocy, Bad snaffler gutsed his treat in a hurry
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

snaffler snaffler snaffler, you are doing it all wrong, green and blacks must be SAVOURED not swallowed whole!
    please could you stop the noise? i'm trying to get some rest from all the unborn chicken voices in my head.

Sorry I was being a greedy hoss and trying to talk on the phone at work to someone, damn it hurts to swallow squares my boss was p****g herself laughing....
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I take 10ml flaxseed oil - it is soooooooooooo gross (fishy). I also take the following supplements:
    - 1000mcg B12
    - 600mg calcium
    - 125mg iron

Default What supplements do you take?

I take Brewer's yeast, wheat germ, lecithin and B-complex capsules.

I usually take a multi-vitamin, B-12 (every other day) calcium, flaxseed oil and I drink fortified soy milk every day.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Today I took my B-Complex Formula "50" and a Vitamin E. Sometimes during the dry winter I take Vitamin E to help my skin stop drying out so much. Recently though I read something about Vitamin E supplements not being very good for you. I should find out more about that.

We've already got a thread here with plenty of comments - it's called supplementation.
    Eve

Bulletproof, what is agnus cactus?

I swallowed calcium (1,000mg), Omega 3 cap (taste like pond scum), multi and B-12 (I chewed it whole, does that count?)

nada for me. im in the mindset of not giving a s*** if i am unhealthy right now.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I do this every day.
    I grind golden flax seeds and drink that with water, morning and evening. I chop up 4 cloves of garlic and drink with water at night.

Quote MzNatural
    I do this every day.
    I grind golden flax seeds and drink that with water, morning and evening. I chop up 4 cloves of garlic and drink with water at night.
    Do you mix the garlic with the water or just chomp on raw garlic? Isn't it a bit rough? What are the health benefits? Just curious .

Quote feline01
    Do you mix the garlic with the water or just chomp on raw garlic? Isn't it a bit rough? What are the health benefits? Just curious .
    I chop it up into very small pieces. I use a spoon to put the garlic on. I put it in my mouth and swallow with water. I don’t actually chew it. I mainly do this at night, or when I won't be going anywhere during the day since you will smell like garlic soon after consuming them. I happen to love garlic, along with the smell but I know not everyone shares my love for it.

There has been a lot of medical research done on garlic. I read a few articles a few months ago about allicin (what gives garlic its flavor.) It may help reduce cancer by enhancing the body’s immune system. Garlic also contains sulpher, which enhances liver function. I used to take the capsules however I noticed a difference when I started using raw garlic. I use raw garlic for its help with anti-fungal, anti-viral, and antibiotic properties. It has numerous benefits.

Here are a few of the benefits.
    Garlic lowers blood pressure.
    Garlic lowers LDL Cholesterol.
    Garlic helps to reduce atherosclerotic buildup (plaque).
    Garlic helps to regulate blood sugar.
    Garlic helps to prevent blood clots from forming.
    Raw garlic is a potent natural antibiotic.
    Garlic has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
    Garlic reduces yeast infections due to Candida species.
    Garlic has anti-oxidant properties.
    Garlic is a source of selenium.
    Garlic clears skin blemishes
    *Garlic may help to prevent cancer. It might prevent the further growth of certain tumors while reducing the size of others.

My cousin has breast cancer. She is 22. I thought it was wonderful that her doctor strongly encouraged her to eliminate as much meat as possible. He also recommended she take garlic and soy. I saw her over the holidays. I gave her a few vegan cooking lessons as well as a Vegan cookbook.

PinkFluffyCloud

I sprinkle Garlic on my dinner every night, I love it (chopped).

Quote feline01
    Bulletproof, what is agnus cactus?
    oops i mean agnus castus, but i always call it agnus cactus

it (supposedly) helps with anxiety and fatigue (which is why i take it) and also basicaly all symptoms of PMT

Quote MzNatural
    since you will smell like garlic soon after consuming them. I happen to love garlic, along with the smell but I know not everyone wants shares my love for it.

.[/I]
    why not just take the odourless garlic capsules? then you can take freely and never worry about the smell, although i agree garlic does taste niiiiiice

Quote bulletproof
    why not just take the odourless garlic capsules? then you can take freely and never worry about the smell, although i agree garlic does taste niiiiiice
    I used to use the powdered/odourless capsules but I did notice an improvement (clearer nasal passages, and I thought they were fine before) when using raw garlic.
    Allicin exists only in raw garlic and cooking causes it to rapidly decay. Allicin does not occur in "whole" garlic, it is produced when garlic is finely chopped or crushed. The finer the chopping and the more intensive the crushing, the more allicin is generated and the stronger the medicinal effect.
    I read a lot about garlic over the years, because I love using it.

I think I'm sold on trying raw garlic. I"m going out today to pick up some organic garlic! Both me and hubby could definitely use some of those benefits and if we're both swallowing it at night, our breathes will stink together .

Quote feline01
    I think I'm sold on trying raw garlic. I"m going out today to pick up some organic garlic! Both me and hubby could definitely use some of those benefits and if we're both swallowing it at night, our breathes will stink together .
    Just an FYI it can cause heartburn in some individuals. I would try one clove in the beginning. When I was on a food cleanse I chopped up 6 cloves and I developed heartburn. I did not use that amount anymore! I will decrease my intake to two cloves per day in about a month. The articles I have read the people, on average, were using 1-4 cloves.
    I read a testimonial about a man (quite a while ago) that mentioned his gout was gone within 2 weeks after taking it daily. I think he was consuming 4 cloves of freshly chopped garlic.
    There was a study done with breastfed babies. It seemed to point that they like the taste of garlic. The mothers who consumed garlic their babies nursed more than the mothers who did not eat garlic. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why my daughter nurses so much.

I also use ginger root. I use about a tablespoon of shopped ginger when I make tea. At times I swallow it like the garlic. Ginger Root is used for eliminating gas. I drank it during pregnancy when I had morning sickness.

I don't take any vitamins...

Default Pills

Never used to take them. Now I'm getting six a day (medical) and also take one V Complete multi-vitamin, and two HiC vitamins. Wish I could just stop the medicines but three of them are amino related for nerve regeneration/repair. The other three are blood pressure and statin. My BP and cholesterol are down so I'm going to try to negiotate a lower dosage.

Not to complain. I know people less than my age that have a drawer full of medications.
    I am a tangerine ;)

Quote Tigerlily
    I don't take any vitamins...
    At your age Tigerlily, you shouldn't have to take vitamins.
    Eve

Good, I thought I was doing something wrong.

I eat a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits. Good thing my mom, althought not vegan, got me eating a variety of vegetables and fruits at a young age.

Be fair! We have many many organic non GMO options where I live, and I live in the midwest so that says a lot I think.
    ‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ Edmund Burke

BTW I take multi vit, calcium, and B 12 everyday and flaxseed oil twice a week. I have ulcerative colitis so I must take vitamins. I think I am going to add iron soon.
    ‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ Edmund Burke

There's an interesting article here on taking supplements: http://www.thehealthcrusader.com/pgs..._31_0012.shtml
    Eve

Quote eve
    There's an interesting article here on taking supplements: http://www.thehealthcrusader.com/pgs..._31_0012.shtml

Really interesting article, thanks .

Default Taking supplements are bad?

I went to the grocery store yesterday and in the "natural health" section, I found a B12 supplement by a company called Swiss Natural. I looked at the ingredients and I couldn't see anything that wasn't vegan. I even remembered some names and looked it up online, and it was all good...

The good thing was it was only $4.99 for decent sized bottle (60 or 90 pills I think). I went home and told my mom that I want to buy it...she said no because I don't need any more supplements...(I only take a multi vitamin that barely has any B12).

I was afraid to tell her that I don't think I eat enough B12 fortified foods to get enough B12. I was afraid to tell her in case she'll go on her "Honey, it's okay to eat animal products every now and then..." lecture.

What should I do? Go buy them and hide them and take them secret? (sounds like I'm talking about illegal drugs, LOL)

And does anyone know if Swiss Naturals is indeed vegan friendly?

THANKS

Love

Be proud to be vegan!
    Walk in the store,stand tall and proud at the counter and ask"I would like to purchase some B12 tablets to supplement my vegan diet,do you have any vegan brands please"?
    Go on,you can do it!
    With love from Love.XXX.

I presume the "Honey, it's okay to eat animal products every now and then..." lecture is soley based on health reasons? Maybe tell her, that yes mom, you can eat rat poison in small amounts too, but is it good for us in the long term? And that health is not your/our only concern, that you genuinly don't want other animals to die and have reservations against eating the flesh of animals because of it.

Tigerlily, if you think it will help, you could tell your mom that the latest thinking suggests that it's not only vegans that can benefit from taking B12 supplements, but ovo-lacto-vegetarians as well. Also that the Recommended Daily Allowance of B12 (which is how much they usually have in multivitamins) may not be enough, as discussed here:

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/hcy

If the brand you found isn't marked suitable for vegans, maybe you could buy some on-line? As you say, they usually are very cheap.

You know, you're almost an adult. If you have any money of your own, just buy the B12. Mom doesn't have to know everything. Especially when it wouldn't hurt her not to know.

I take a brand called VegLife which is marketed as vegan. They dissolve in the mouth and it is said that the body absorbs B12 better this way. I only take them occasionally and I do have my doubts as to whether a 1,000 mcg. dose of B12 is healthy.

It is my understanding that a B12 deficiency takes awhile to develop and it's mostly seniors who get it. They body can recycle B12 and when the recycling systems deteriorate is when B12 deficiency arises. Is truly this the case?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry if you don't get B12 supplements right this instant. Living up in Canada, vitamin D deficiency is more likely, so make sure you get sunlight and drink fortified soymilk. By the way, be careful with vitamin D supplements since it can be toxic in high doses and most brands aren't vegan.

Quote Tigerlily
    "Honey, it's okay to eat animal products every now and then..." lecture.
    Tigers, check out the The B12 Dilemma - Does it Invalidate Veganism? article from Joanne Stepaniak. Hope that helps.

Hah, your mom needs B12. Seriously.

Some scientists estimate that 40%+ of all omnivores in north america have B12 issues. Your mother probably needs B12 supplements. This is especially important if you have anything darker than pale white skin in a northern land (like canada, northern USA, UK, Siberia, etc..).

The only reason most modern animal products have significant amounts of B12 is because they are heavily supplemented to keep up with government standards. Animals DO NOT produce B12, they never have. Cyanobacterium have always been the producer of B12 (they live in non-toxic environments and to some extent in digestive tracts). This is the aerobic bacteria and micro algae that use cobalt to create their own cells. B12 tablets are literally expired bacteria or micro-algae, and are no more a supplement than an apple you haven't personally picked or a defenseless animal someone else murdered, ground up for people to reshape, sanitize, cook, spice, for someone to eat.

Seriously though, go buy some B12 and don't let your mom or anyone endanger your health no matter how much they mean to you.

Here's an email message from pcrm:
    "Folic acid and vitamin B12 supplements cut the risk of hip fracture by approximately 80%, according to a new JAMA study. The two-year randomized trial included 559 Japanese patients aged 65 and over who had had strokes with residual hemiplegia, putting them at high risk for osteoporosis, falls, and hip fracture. Treatment consisted of 5 mg of folic acid and 1500 mcg of vitamin B12 daily over a two-year period. The dramatic effect of folic acid and vitamin B12 in reducing fracture risk appears to be related to its ability to cut plasma levels of homocysteine. At higher levels, homocysteine appears to interfere with the formation of collagen cross-links within bone, weakening the bone matrix and increasing risk of osteoporotic fractures."

Sato Y, Honda Y, Iwamoto J, Kanoko T, Satoh K. Effect of folate and mecobalamin on hip fractures in patients with stroke: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2005;293:1082-8.

For information about nutrition and health, please visit www.pcrm.org, www.CancerProject.org, AtkinsDietAlert.org.
    Eve

Default What supplements should I be taking??

I started the process of becoming vegan about 6 months ago.
    I now eat a totally vegan diet (altough I do still wear leather items etc that I bought before becoming vegan - mainly cos I can't afford not to!)

I take a sea kelp supplement but I find it very confusing trying to work out if I need other supplements and if so which ones

Can anyone give me a hand?

Love

Exclamation Essential!

The main supplement you MUST take is B12,available at most health food stores.It is also good to take omega 3,6 and 9 oil capsules
    With love from Love.XXX.

alot of vegans don't take suppliment, but because all of our bodies vary you may have different needs. if it's something you're concerned about, i'd recommend just starting on a multivitamin. there's plenty of vegan options out there. you could also get a blood test done to see if you have any vitamin of mineral deficiencies. b12 is definitly something you'll want to make sure your getting. but as alot of vegan foods are fortified with it, you may not need to take a vitamin for that.

Thanks for the help

I would say calcium supplement, too. Fortified soy milk and orange juice have calcium as well.

I get the B-12 tablets that you put under your tongue and it dissolves. I've heard the body absorbs it better that way....So, try too look for this type.