Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do vegans need supplements? Do you take any? Which do you take?

Default Re: Do vegans need supplements? Do you take any?

Multi vitamins can be very expensive. Holland and Barret do their own brand vegan one £4.49 for 60 tablets (2 months worth) , unbeatable value.
    I also take glucosamine daily to help slow down (hopefully) the deterioration of my joints as i've a pretty physical job!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

cobweb

i've just started taken glucosamine, too, gogs, expensive, but worth it i think (living with someone who has arthritis of all the major joints you start wanting to look after your own!).

Quote cobweb View Post
    i've just started taken glucosamine, too, gogs, expensive, but worth it i think (living with someone who has arthritis of all the major joints you start wanting to look after your own!).
    I wish i'd known, i just bought a whole load from a company on the net. 180 tablets for £11.69 (only need one a day) and get 180 free so that's near enough a years worth for just over a tenner!!!!
    AND they made a mess of the order and sent me it twice so i got FOUR bottles for that price.
    I didn't have the heart to tell them about their mistake but i did give the other two bottles away to friends!!
    Here you go if you want to stock up!
    http://www.simplysupplements.net/pro...caa3326c91c38e

cobweb

ta Gogs, i have just bought a load of the Deva stuff at 4 times the price!
    does your stuff have a long date on it?

Quote cobweb View Post
    ta Gogs, i have just bought a load of the Deva stuff at 4 times the price!
    does your stuff have a long date on it?
    'Best Before' is June 2010!

cobweb

ooh, that's good, thanks for that.

When I remember I take a few supplements such as black cohosh, multivits, calcium and glucosamine. none to do with being vegan but for a clotting disorder, osteopenia (side effect from a previous medication) and being postmenopausal. Although, from being vegan with a soya based diet (and not imbibing caffiene beverages) I have hardly any the usual postmenopausal symptoms
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

I take DEVA One-a-day Vegan Multivitamin and Mineral and DEVA Vegan Omega-3 DHA. Here is their website - http://www.devanutrition.com/

The multivitamin and mineral supplement contains 1666% vitamin B12.
    How can you eat anything with eyes? ~Will Kellogg

I've just started taking VegLife Vegan One Multiple. I usually have a hard time swallowing pills, but I've been able to swallow every one I've taken and I'm very proud of myself

I take liquid B12, and have just started taking zinc as whenever I've logged my nutrition intake (www.fitday.com or www.nutritiondata.com), it's the one thing that tends to be under for my RDA. There's only so many pumpkin seeds I can stomach!

I take a tsp of hemp oil a day too, and if I have them, linseeds. I used to mix spirulina in with my smoothies and take e3Live but I'm on a budget now

I think if you look and feel healthy and have a balanced healthy diet, the only ones to keep an eye on are B12 and vitamin D, IMHO.

Default supplement recommendations

Hi,

I read on the back of these dodgy supplements I picked up at Holland & Barrett that long-term high intake of B6 may result in tingling / numbness. They also make my pee fluorescent. Maybe I shouldn't have grabbed the first bottle that said "B-something" along with "Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans".

So, can anyone recommend supplements available in the UK? I have a varied diet but I cba to worry about b12, <insert vitamin here>, iodine, etc. Don't mind if it means more than one supplement or if they're reassuringly expensive, as long as they're easy to get hold of and cover the main bases that could be problematic.

Cheers,

gutts
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 26th, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

cobweb

Default Re: supplement recommendations

Personally i use the Seven Seas multi vit/minerals, its in a green tub and says its suitable for veggies and vegans (its has the sunflower logo on it, too). I buy it in Tesco or my local chemist. I also use their flax oil veggie caps.
    There's no iodine in the supplement though, i try to buy iodised salt to use on my food, usually i get it from Lidl.
    I also take a 'Deva' sublingual B12 supplement every few weeks just to top up!. B vits always seem to give you alien wee, so don't worry about that.

Default Re: Nutritional supplements for vegans?

Hey gutts. Most breakfast cereals are fortified with B12, so if you have a bowl a day for breakfast, you should get enough. I agree with cobweb, try to get iodised salt (I found some in Sainsburys), or you could try experimenting with adding dried seaweed to foods for your iodine. Pee tends to go fluorescent after eating asparagus too - it's the B vitamins that we don't use being flushed out. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your replies. I'm not big on cereals (prefer toast + juice + fruit), but I'll check out the salt and flax oil. Looking at supplements in a shop makes my head spin.

The vegan society do a supplement called Veg 1 which I take - has B12, D2, and poss iodine, and some other stuff. Have to buy it by mail order. It tastes OK - you have to chew it.

I don't know about all-in-one, but I just take a B12, aside from the iron I was prescribed before. I have flax seeds, though would probably be better off with flax oil since the grinding that has to happen. I probably should've taken D2 in winter though since I've only gone outside about twice or three times.

I never used to take any supplements, but I was going through a busy period in uni and my diet was getting effected, so I decided to take a general vegan multi supplement. I have been reading more a more about omega oils, I have never taken omega oils so I am a bit worried! Does flaxseed oil cover the omegas?

*live*&*let*live

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Multi vitamins can be very expensive. Holland and Barret do their own brand vegan one £4.49 for 60 tablets (2 months worth) , unbeatable value.
    I also take glucosamine daily to help slow down (hopefully) the deterioration of my joints as i've a pretty physical job!
    Hey Gogs
    I bought these and have been taking them a couple of weeks. I think I get a pretty healthy balanced diet but I am always curious to make sure I get everything that is 'recommended' by the powers that be. I would have still taken one if I ate murdered flesh it's not that I don't trust my vegan diet. (so mum I only take 'em to be super confident! not cause my diet is lacking!!)
    My ? is do you notice a difference and if so, when, and what were the differences?
    Cheers x :smile:
    Last edited by *live*&*let*live; Jun 29th, 2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: additon

Prawnil

Quote Stig View Post
    Does flaxseed oil cover the omegas?
    Depends on what you mean by cover! They're talked about in these, if you haven't found them already,
    Vegan Omega-3 thread
    Vegan DHA/EPA (long-chain omega-3) thread

I take B12 when I remember to. Now & then I'll have a bit of a gimungous multivitamin, but quite rarely as they tend to make me feel slightly sick. I'm not sure why. I plan to buy & take DHA soon, but probably not every day.
    The only major effect I've ever noticed after taking supplements is freaky urine from multivitamins:smile:

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Hey Gogs
    I bought these and have been taking them a couple of weeks. I think I get a pretty healthy balanced diet but I am always curious to make sure I get everything that is 'recommended' by the powers that be. I would have still taken one if I ate murdered flesh it's not that I don't trust my vegan diet. (so mum I only take 'em to be super confident! not cause my diet is lacking!!)
    My ? is do you notice a difference and if so, when, and what were the differences?
    Cheers x :smile:
    I'm not a pillpoppin hypochondriac either, i'm the same as you, i take them on the assumption that there's no harm and they may be doing me good!
    It's difficult to tell the effect as i've taken a multi vitamin for years so can't really compare it with not taking them if you see what i mean.

A balanced diet should provide everything you need anyway really, the problem is finding the right balance, lol!

*live*&*let*live

^ Learns to juggle and walk the tightrope ^

Cheers for the response!! Has anyone else recently started and noticed anything useful like being able to sing, looking like Audrey Hepburn or Andy Garcia or both?! Gimme the brand name!

Personally, If i felt myself turning into a musical Audrey Hepburn i'd stop takin the tablets!

Windfall

I take vegan multivits, flax seed capsules and some algae powder that you mix with water.

*live*&*let*live

The multivitamin and mineral supplement contains 1666% vitamin B12.
    I wonder if I take these will I start mooing and being chased for dinner?
    Why on EARTH would someone need to have that amount of B12 or any vitamin/mineral in their system!!

*live*&*let*live

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Personally, If i felt myself turning into a musical Audrey Hepburn i'd stop takin the tablets!

Aww shame that Gogs I would watch you chasing round the Highlands singing MoonRiver and lookin' lush! (not suggesting you don't look lush already)

*live*&*let*live

I was reading an article in a mag yesterday that said that vitamins and supplements just created expensive wee! They stated that the body only takes what it needs so the rest is just wasted (we knew this already tho) and not to bother taking them. They think that those who need vitamins etc won't be the ones that take them, and the one's that don't need them are the one's that are buying them. She reckoned that you can get all the vitamins and minerals from fruit that is going wrinkly and is past its best!

On the other hand another dietician stated that everyone needs vitamins as due to stresses of life, illness etc even a healthy diet needs help. I knew the jury was out on whether to take vitamins or not but I am even more confused now! Apparently you can do yourself some damage with taking too much and supplements are not needed.
    And as for the comment about the wrinkly fruit! I can't see that being accurate personally, that means we could eat all the cr@p that is left in supermarkets at a reduced price instead of paying full for the more asthetically pleasing items! I know what I would rather eat.

I've tried getting all of my daily micronutrients from my diet. It's a fun game for someone who tends to find such a compulsive behaviour entertaining, however, it is also hard to do. I finally gave in and started taking a daily multi. I also use a protein shake.

I will say this though ~ during the 4 months when I was doing whole foods only and zero vitamins, I felt great. I continued to make strength gains during my weight training workouts, and I recovered well. *shrug* Then my hair started shedding at a much faster-than-normal rate. I'm not sure if this is diet-related, stress-related, or if it's peri-menopause.

So, back to the multi, just to be safe.

I occasionaly take a multi-vitamin especially designed for women just for insurance really beacuse I had a child and was breastfeeding so I wanted to make sure I was getting all the essential vits and minerals

i dont usually take them. i occasionally take a B complex if I feel a bit weak or sullen. otherwise, my diet is jam packed with everything i need.

You're right on. As Vegan's we may be missing some B Vitamins, but if you are eating tons of those leafy greens you are probably getting all you need.

I've ordered the Veg 1 supplements from vegan society, as it has the recommended levels of B12, folic acid, D2, selenium, iodine etc...as I used to have the seven seas one but it doesn't have enough D2 or B12 in.

http://www.vegansociety.com/images/Veg1.pdf

But I've also got to buy another D2 as I have to have more than the average person i.e, 20 to 50 rather than 10, and I have a calcium supplement.

I have to start taking them once the doctor tells me how much of calcium and vitamin D I need to take daily for the next six months.

I seriously HATE swallowing pills!!! lol I'm never going to not go outside again. haha

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post

But I've also got to buy another D2 as I have to have more than the average person i.e, 20 to 50 rather than 10, and I have a calcium supplement.

I have to start taking them once the doctor tells me how much of calcium and vitamin D I need to take daily for the next six months.

I seriously HATE swallowing pills!!! lol I'm never going to not go outside again. haha
    Witchy - ask your doctor to give you a prescription for liquid Vitamin D Ergocalciferol.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Quote Mittenzzz View Post
    You're right on. As Vegan's we may be missing some B Vitamins, but if you are eating tons of those leafy greens you are probably getting all you need.
    Hi,

With all due respect, I don't think there's any evidence for any of these statements.

Vegans normally have lower B12 levels than non-vegans, but non-vegans often have lower B9 levels than vegans.

Also: due to the many reasons explained in our B12 subforum (soil depletion, chlorinated water and dozens of other reasons), eating tons of leafy green may not help in the long run if the soil the green leaves are grown in is short in cobalt/bacteria etc, if it's not eaten fresh, if it's not organic, and eaten by a person who also is exposed to some of the many "B12 killers" out there.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Jippia

At the moment, I am taking a vegan multi vitamine with B12, iodine, D2 and some others, vegan DHA capsules and iron fortified lemonade syrup. I also drink my Alpro soya milk and eat my Alpro soya yoghurt or dessert every day. These too are fortified with B12, Calcium and B2.

CVG

Default Recommend some supplements?

Hi, I don't eat much (Not on purpose. I just become full much faster.) and therefore find it near impossible to get all the vitamins I need for normal functioning. If you could just personally recommend some multiple or multivitamin supplements for me to take, I would much appreciate it.

Default Re: Recommend some supplements?

The best supplement I have found for general health is Juice Plus+ - the company takes 17 raw fruits and veggies, juices them, takes out the water, and then puts the powder into vegan gummies that you can eat every day (they're the only vegan gummies I know of).

Out of the interest of full disclosure, I am a distributor for Juice Plus+.

The reason I recommend it is because of the medical research showing it actually helps improve the immune system, reduce oxidative stress, lower homocysteine, improve circulation, protect DNA from damage, and more. You can read more about the research at http://healthandwellnessnewsnow.blog...-clinical.html

I use Moringa Olifiera Leaf powder as an affordable, organic totally vegan suppliment

This stuff is amazing I have never felt better

I get mine online from a Non-profit outfit www.moringamutual.org

Moringa apparently has more calcium than milk, more vitamin c than Oranges, more Iron than spinage and 10 different amino acids.

Check it out

powerlifer

i would say if your not eating seaweeds regularly taking a good seaweed/kelp supplement will be a good idea as you wont be getting anywhere near enough iodine.

vitamin D can tend to be low also.

I think I'd better buy some vitamin b12

powerlifer

Quote VeganVicky View Post
    I think I'd better buy some vitamin b12
    go with the sublingual under the tongue vitamin b12 if you do.

Hi

I'd appreciate some advice. I currently have one Veg 1 capsule a day (and a Deva Omega 3 DHA). I noticed on Holland and Barrett that they do two vegan supplements: Vegan Multivitamin & Mineral http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...c=16713&page=1 & Super Vegan Multivitamin & Mineral http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...c=16713&page=2. I just wondered if there are any experts out there who can tell me whether its worth swopping to these or staying with Veg 1 - I've no idea if their supplements are a good quality or if they're all very much the same or whatever! Sorry - I hope this makes sense! Currant Cottage

I just did a nutritional analysis of everything I ate for a day, and it seems that if I take a B-complex supplement, eat legume- and vegetable-based foods, eat a salad with dark greens and olive oil, and drink fortified orange juice every day, I don't need any kind of multivitamin. I'm pretty proud of those hours of looking up the nutritional facts of everything I put in my mouth, so here's the link to my blog where I published it.

Edit: Oh, I forgot I need to add in some flaxseed oil to get omega-3s.
    Eat your veggies!

Quote adl View Post
    I just did a nutritional analysis of everything I ate for a day, and it seems that if I take a B-complex supplement, eat legume- and vegetable-based foods, eat a salad with dark greens and olive oil, and drink fortified orange juice every day, I don't need any kind of multivitamin. I'm pretty proud of those hours of looking up the nutritional facts of everything I put in my mouth, so here's the link to my blog where I published it.

Edit: Oh, I forgot I need to add in some flaxseed oil to get omega-3s.
    I'm really impressed with how you've broken everything down and its given me an incentive to eat a little healthier. I know its an excuse but ..... the school holidays have been so busy and manic that our diets really aren't that brilliant and I know I have to get back to making more effort to eat a varied diet and not stuffing on home baking and easy options!!! I found a really good vegan omega 3 supplement online - a different one that I'm using at the moment but to be honest, I've even been forgetting to take them daily. Thanks again for your post - and your blog link.

Currant Cottage

Quote CurrantCottage View Post
    I'm really impressed with how you've broken everything down and its given me an incentive to eat a little healthier. I know its an excuse but ..... the school holidays have been so busy and manic that our diets really aren't that brilliant and I know I have to get back to making more effort to eat a varied diet and not stuffing on home baking and easy options!!! I found a really good vegan omega 3 supplement online - a different one that I'm using at the moment but to be honest, I've even been forgetting to take them daily. Thanks again for your post - and your blog link.

Currant Cottage
    Thank you! Good luck on eating healthier. It can be hard, I know.
    Eat your veggies!

I now take a vegan multivitamin (tiny tablets as the other's ones are too big!), vitamin D and a vitamin B12. I take them because of my coeliac and needing to take more for what I'm losing or something.

I don't know if to change the B12 when these are gone though, they are from Holland & Barret but I thought you had to have ones that dissolve and these don't!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I have heard the sublingual format (i.e. ones that dissolve under your tongue) is slightly better for b12 absorption, but I don't know how much difference it really makes. The Veg-1 ones the vegan society sells are that kind and work out quite cheap, I think. Don't know how the dosages compare with the H&B ones though.

I guess I can stress too much at times over supplements and what I eat - I keep reminding myself of friends who eat tons of meat and junk food so I could be doing a lot worse! And I had to laugh - these latest multivitamins I've bought are just so HUGE that I dread swallowing them - I mean really I have to have a huge drink to hand and usually some bread to shovel it all down !

Witchy, as far as B12, take the methylcobalamin form instead of the cyanocobalamin form! You don't have to take the ones that dissolve, either.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote harpy View Post
    I have heard the sublingual format (i.e. ones that dissolve under your tongue) is slightly better for b12 absorption, but I don't know how much difference it really makes. The Veg-1 ones the vegan society sells are that kind and work out quite cheap, I think. Don't know how the dosages compare with the H&B ones though.
    Those Veg 1 supplements I used to take, are a bit *vile* I now take deva I think.

Witchy, as far as B12, take the methylcobalamin form instead of the cyanocobalamin form! You don't have to take the ones that dissolve, either.
    I'll have to remember that these ones are cyanoblahblah...so next time I buy some I'll have to check! Supposedly Deva are methblahblah, maybe the cyanblahblah is cheaper? As the deva are about £6 more. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I find the Veg-1 tastes OK-ish - I seem to remember reading that there was a batch that was particularly nasty-tasting, so perhaps you got those witchy - or perhaps my tastebuds are knackered, more than likely

I think they contain cyanobalamin though, not methylcobalamin. What about hydroxocobalamin, I thought that was meant to be a good one? There are already some threads about these issues I think, will check when I have a mo.