Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegans, health and sugar

Kiva Dancer, you're so much more diplomatic than I am, but what you say in a tactful way, is what I meant for someone who is serious. But I do believe that substituting sugary foods for sweet tasting other foods is hardly likely to work as well as completely giving up sugary foods.

Yes, feline01, I understand what addictions are; many years ago I was a heavy smoker who kept 'trying' to give it up. Eventually I stopped, but I also realise that we're all different. I used to love fat, and would always spread thick margarine plus peanut butter on my toast. Now the thought of eating margarine makes me want to gag.
    Eve

i think substituting sweet vegetables will make her want them more because they will be sweet, and once shes used to eating more vegetables, she will get a taste for less sweet vegetables. once i got a taste for vegetables, i would rather have them than fruit. but i used to choose fruit over vegetables.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Geoff

Like any other addiction, you can wean yourself off sugar with a bit of will power. I did it, so anyone can! There was a time when I couldn't pass a shop with a jam doughnut on display.
    A little 3 legged dog was 'sent' to show me that I didn't need sugar. I was in a 'caff' in Swansea, sat down with my cuppa and started chatting to said canine when he jumped up on my lap. I went to put my usual 2tsp of sugar in my tea and found that it was on the next table so I had the choice of tipping the dog off or going without sugar. I chose the latter option. That was 30 years ago and I haven't used sugar in tea or coffee since.

The man from Silverspoon, he say "No fish oil or anything of animal origin is used anywhere within the factory process, including dairy products. Therefore all of the Silver Spoon range is suitable for vegetarians. Sugar beet are washed, sliced into strips and then extracted with hot water. The 'raw juice' is purified to remove all the 'non-sugars' , mainly using natural substances such as lime and carbon dioxide. The juice is then concentrated and crystallised to give the finished product. Sugar is not bleached.All Silver Spoon branded white sugars will be 100% of beet origin. All Silver Spoon brown sugars, i.e.: Golden Granulated, Demerara and soft browns and Black Treacle contain small amounts of cane molasses. Dark Chocolate Treat product is free of dairy products. The Milk Chocolate variety contains real milk chocolate crumb and therefore is not suitable for Vegans. The All in One Royal Icing also contains pasteurised egg albumin".
    Last edited by gertvegan; Mar 27th, 2005 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added more info

Quote gertvegan
    The mad from Silverspoon,".
    Mad eh!! Would that be another side effect of too much sugar??
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Billingtons website says "SUITABLE FOR VEGANS".

Default 146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health

146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health

By Nancy Appleton, Ph.D.

www.nancyappleton.com

Author of LICK THE SUGAR HABIT and LICK THE SUGAR HABIT SUGAR COUNTER.

1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
    2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body.
    3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
    4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
    5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).
    6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you loose.
    7. Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins.
    8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.
    9 Sugar leads to cancer of the ovaries.
    10. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose.
    11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.
    12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
    13. Sugar can weaken eyesight.
    14. Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.
    15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
    16. Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract.
    17. Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.
    18. Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.
    19. Sugar can cause premature aging.
    20. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
    21. Sugar can cause tooth decay.
    22. Sugar contributes to obesity
    23. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.
    24. Sugar can cause changes frequently found in person with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
    25. Sugar can cause arthritis.
    26. Sugar can cause asthma.
    27. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections).
    28. Sugar can cause gallstones.
    29. Sugar can cause heart disease.
    30. Sugar can cause appendicitis.
    31. Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.
    32. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
    33. Sugar can cause varicose veins.
    34. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
    35. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
    36. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
    37. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.
    38. Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
    39. Sugar can lower the amount of Vitamin E (alpha-Tocopherol in the blood.
    40. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.
    41. Sugar can increase cholesterol.
    42. Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.
    43. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
    44. High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs)(Sugar bound non-enzymatically to protein)
    45. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.
    46. Sugar causes food allergies.
    47. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
    48. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
    49. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
    50. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
    51. Sugar can impair the structure of DNA
    52. Sugar can change the structure of protein.
    53. Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
    54. Sugar can cause cataracts.
    55. Sugar can cause emphysema.
    56. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
    57. Sugar can promote an elevation of low density lipoproteins (LDL).
    58. High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in the body.
    59. Sugar lowers the enzymes ability to function.
    60. Sugar intake is higher in people with Parkinson’s disease.
    61. Sugar can cause a permanent altering the way the proteins act in the body.
    62. Sugar can increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells divide.
    63. Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat.
    64. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
    65. Sugar can damage the pancreas.
    66. Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
    67. Sugar is enemy #1 of the bowel movement.
    68. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).
    69. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
    70. Sugar can make the tendons more brittle.
    71. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraine.
    72. Sugar plays a role in pancreatic cancer in women.
    73. Sugar can adversely affect school children's grades and cause learning disorders..
    74. Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves.
    75. Sugar can cause depression.
    76. Sugar increases the risk of gastric cancer.
    77. Sugar and cause dyspepsia (indigestion).
    78. Sugar can increase your risk of getting gout.
    79. Sugar can increase the levels of glucose in an oral glucose tolerance test over the ingestion of complex carbohydrates.
    80. Sugar can increase the insulin responses in humans consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.
    81 High refined sugar diet reduces learning capacity.
    82. Sugar can cause less effective functioning of two blood proteins, albumin, and lipoproteins, which may reduce the body’s ability to handle fat and cholesterol.
    83. Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
    84. Sugar can cause platelet adhesiveness.
    85. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones become underactive and others become overactive.
    86. Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones.
    87. Sugar can lead to the hypothalamus to become highly sensitive to a large variety of stimuli.
    88. Sugar can lead to dizziness.
    89. Diets high in sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress.
    90. High sucrose diets of subjects with peripheral vascular disease significantly increases platelet adhesion.
    91. High sugar diet can lead to biliary tract cancer.
    92. Sugar feeds cancer.
    93. High sugar consumption of pregnant adolescents is associated with a twofold increased risk for delivering a small-for-gestational-age (SGA) infant.
    94. High sugar consumption can lead to substantial decrease in gestation duration among adolescents.
    95. Sugar slows food's travel time through the gastrointestinal tract.
    96. Sugar increases the concentration of bile acids in stools and bacterial enzymes in the colon. This can modify bile to produce cancer-causing compounds and colon cancer.
    97. Sugar increases estradiol (the most potent form of naturally occurring estrogen) in men.
    98. Sugar combines and destroys phosphatase, an enzyme, which makes the process of digestion more difficult.
    99. Sugar can be a risk factor of gallbladder cancer.
    100. Sugar is an addictive substance.
    101. Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.
    102. Sugar can exacerbate PMS.
    103. Sugar given to premature babies can affect the amount of carbon dioxide they produce.
    104. Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.
    105. The body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.
    106. The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.
    107. Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
    108. Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition.
    109. Sugar can slow down the ability of the adrenal glands to function.
    110. Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases.
    111.. I.Vs (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to the brain.
    112. High sucrose intake could be an important risk factor in lung cancer.
    113. Sugar increases the risk of polio.
    114. High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.
    115. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.
    116. In Intensive Care Units, limiting sugar saves lives.
    117. Sugar may induce cell death.
    118. Sugar can increase the amount of food that you eat.
    119. In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low sugar diet, there was a 44% drop in antisocial behavior.
    120. Sugar can lead to prostrate cancer.
    121. Sugar dehydrates newborns.
    122. Sugar increases the estradiol in young men.
    123. Sugar can cause low birth weight babies.
    124. Greater consumption of refined sugar is associated with a worse outcome of schizophrenia
    125. Sugar can raise homocysteine levels in the blood stream.
    126. Sweet food items increase the risk of breast cancer.
    127. Sugar is a risk factor in cancer of the small intestine.
    128. Sugar may cause laryngeal cancer.
    129. Sugar induces salt and water retention.
    130. Sugar may contribute to mild memory loss.
    131. As sugar increases in the diet of 10 years olds, there is a linear decrease in the intake of many essential nutrients.
    132. Sugar can increase the total amount of food consumed.
    133. Exposing a newborn to sugar results in a heightened preference for sucrose relative to water at 6 months and 2 years of age.
    134. Sugar causes constipation.
    135. Sugar causes varicous veins.
    136. Sugar can cause brain decay in prediabetic and diabetic women.
    137. Sugar can increase the risk of stomach cancer.
    138. Sugar can cause metabolic syndrome.
    139. Sugar ingestion by pregnant women increases neural tube defects in embryos.
    140. Sugar can be a factor in asthma.
    141. The higher the sugar consumption the more chances of getting irritable bowel syndrome.
    142. Sugar could affect central reward systems.
    143. Sugar can cause cancer of the rectum.
    144. Sugar can cause endometrial cancer.
    145. Sugar can cause renal (kidney) cell carcinoma.
    146. Sugar can cause liver tumors.
    1. Sanchez, A., et al. "Role of Sugars in Human Neutrophilic Phagocytosis," American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Nov 1973;261:1180-1184.
    Bernstein, J., et al. "Depression of Lymphocyte Transformation Following Oral Glucose Ingestion." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.1997;30:613.
    2. Couzy, F., et al."Nutritional Implications of the Interaction Minerals," Progressive Food and Nutrition Science 17;1933:65-87.
    3. Goldman, J., et al. "Behavioral Effects of Sucrose on Preschool Children." Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.1986;14(4):565-577.
    4. Scanto, S. and Yudkin, J. "The Effect of Dietary Sucrose on Blood Lipids, Serum Insulin, Platelet Adhesiveness and Body Weight in Human Volunteers," Postgraduate Medicine Journal. 1969;45:602-607.
    5. Ringsdorf, W., Cheraskin, E. and Ramsay R. "Sucrose,Neutrophilic Phagocytosis and Resistance to Disease," Dental Survey. 1976;52(12):46-48.
    6. Cerami, A., Vlassara, H., and Brownlee, M."Glucose and Aging." Scientific American. May 1987:90.
    Lee, A. T. and Cerami, A. "The Role of Glycation in Aging." Annals of the New York Academy of Science. 663:63-67.
    7. Albrink, M. and Ullrich I. H. "Interaction of Dietary Sucrose and Fiber on Serum Lipids in Healthy Young Men Fed High Carbohydrate Diets." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1986;43:419-428.
    Pamplona, R., et al. “Mechanisms of Glycation in Atherogenesis.” Medical Hypotheses. Mar 1993;40(3):174-81.
    8. Kozlovsky, A., et al. "Effects of Diets High in Simple Sugars on Urinary Chromium Losses." Metabolism. June 1986;35:515-518.
    9. Takahashi, E., Tohoku University School of Medicine, Wholistic Health Digest. October 1982:41.
    10. Kelsay, J., et al. "Diets High in Glucose or Sucrose and Young Women." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1974;27:926-936.
    Thomas, B. J., et al. “Relation of Habitual Diet to Fasting Plasma Insulin Concentration and the Insulin Response to Oral Glucose,” Human Nutrition Clinical Nutrition. 1983; 36C(1):49_51.
    11. Fields, M.., et al. "Effect of Copper Deficiency on Metabolism and Mortality in Rats Fed Sucrose or Starch Diets," Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1983;113:1335-1345.
    12. Lemann, J. "Evidence that Glucose Ingestion Inhibits Net Renal Tubular Reabsorption of Calcium and Magnesium." Journal Of Clinical Nutrition. 1976 ;70:236-245.
    13. Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica. Mar 2002;48;25.
    Taub, H. Ed. "Sugar Weakens Eyesight," VM NEWSLETTER;May 1986:6
    14. "Sugar, White Flour Withdrawal Produces Chemical Response." The Addiction Letter .Jul 1992:4.
    15. Dufty, William. Sugar Blues. (New York:Warner Books, 1975).
    16. Ibid.
    17. Jones, T. W., et al. “Enhanced Adrenomedullary Response and Increased Susceptibility to Neuroglygopenia: Mechanisms Underlying the Adverse Effect of Sugar Ingestion in Children.” Journal of Pediatrics. Feb 1995;126:171-7.
    18. Ibid.
    19. Lee, A. T.and Cerami A. "The Role of Glycation in Aging." Annals of the New York Academy of Science.1992;663:63-70.
    20. Abrahamson, E. and Peget, A.. Body, Mind and Sugar. (New York:Avon,1977.}
    21. Glinsmann, W., Irausquin, H., and Youngmee, K. “Evaluation of Health Aspects of Sugar Contained in Carbohydrate Sweeteners. F. D. A. Report of Sugars Task Force.” 1986:39.
    Makinen K.K.,et al. “A Descriptive Report of the Effects of a 16_month Xylitol Chewing_Gum Programme Subsequent to a 40_Month Sucrose Gum Programme.” Caries Research. 1998; 32(2)107-12.
    Riva Touger-Decker and Cor van Loveren, “Sugars and Dental Caries.”
    Am. J. Clin.Nut. Oct 2003; 78:881-892.
    22. Keen, H., et al. "Nutrient Intake, Adiposity, and Diabetes." British Medical Journal. 1989; 1: 655-658.
    23. Tragnone, A. et al. “Dietary Habits as Risk Factors for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.” Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. Jan 1995;7(1):47-51.
    24. Yudkin, J. Sweet and Dangerous.. (New York;Bantam Books:1974), 129.
    25. Darlington, L., Ramsey, N. W. and Mansfield, J. R. "Placebo_Controlled, Blind Study of Dietary Manipulation Therapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis," Lancet. Feb 1986;8475(1):236-238.
    26. Powers, L. "Sensitivity: You React to What You Eat." Los Angeles Times. Feb. 12, 1985.
    Cheng, J., et al. “Preliminary Clinical Study on the Correlation Between Allergic Rhinitis and Food Factors.” Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi Aug 2002;16(8):393-396.
    27. Crook, W. J. The Yeast Connection. (TN:Professional Books, 1984)..
    28. Heaton, K. "The Sweet Road to Gallstones." British Medical Journal. Apr 14, 1984; 288:1103-1104.
    Misciagna, G., et al. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1999;69:120-126.
    29. Yudkin, J. "Sugar Consumption and Myocardial Infarction." Lancet..Feb 6, 1971;1(7693):296-297.
    Reiser, S. "Effects of Dietary Sugars on Metabolic Risk Factors Associated with Heart Disease." Nutritional Health. 1985;203-216.
    30. Cleave, T. The Saccharine Disease. (New Canaan, CT: Keats Publishing, 1974).
    31. Erlander, S. "The Cause and Cure of Multiple Sclerosis, The Disease to End Disease. Mar 3, 1979;1(3):59-63.
    32. Cleave, T. The Saccharine Disease. (New Canaan, CT: Keats Publishing, 1974.)
    33. Cleave, T. and Campbell, G. Diabetes, Coronary Thrombosis and the Saccharine Disease: (Bristol, England, John Wrightand Sons, 1960).
    34. Behall, K. "Influence of Estrogen Content of Oral Contraceptives and Consumption of Sucrose on Blood Parameters." Disease Abstracts International. 1982;431-437.
    35. Glinsmann, W., Irausquin, H., and K. Youngmee. Evaluation of Health Aspects of Sugar Contained in Carbohydrate Sweeteners. F. D. A. Report of Sugars Task Force.1986;39:36_38.
    36. Tjäderhane, L. and Larmas, M. “A High Sucrose Diet Decreases the Mechanical Strength of Bones in Growing Rats.” Journal of Nutrition. 1998:128:1807-1810.
    37. Appleton, N. New York: Healthy Bones. Avery Penguin Putnam:1989.
    38. Beck_Nielsen H., Pedersen O., and Schwartz S. “Effects of Diet on the Cellular Insulin Binding and the Insulin Sensitivity in Young Healthy Subjects." Diabetes. 1978;15:289-296 .
    39. Mohanty P. et al. “Glucose Challenge Stimulates Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) Generation by Leucocytes.”Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. Aug 2000; 85(8):2970-2973.
    40. Gardner, L. and Reiser, S. "Effects of Dietary Carbohydrate on Fasting Levels of Human Growth Hormone and Cortisol." Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. 1982;169:36-40.
    41. Reiser, S. "Effects of Dietary Sugars on Metabolic Risk Factors Associated with Heart Disease." Nutritional Health. 1985;203:216.
    42. Preuss, H. G. “Sugar-Induced Blood Pressure Elevations Over the Lifespan of Three Substrains of Wistar Rats.” J Am Coll of Nutrition, 1998;17(1) 36-37.
    43. Behar, D., et al. “Sugar Challenge Testing with Children Considered Behaviorally Sugar Reactive." Nutritional Behavior. 1984;1:277-288.
    44. Furth, A. and Harding, J. "Why Sugar Is Bad For You." New Scientist.”Sep 23, 1989;44.
    45. Lee AT, Cerami A. “Role of Glycation in Aging.” Ann N Y Acad Sci. Nov 21,1992 ;663:63-70.
    46. Appleton, N. New York:Lick the Sugar Habit. (New York:Avery Penguin Putnam:1988).
    47. "Sucrose Induces Diabetes in Cat." Federal Protocol. 1974;6(97).
    48. Cleave, T.:The Saccharine Disease: (New Canaan Ct: Keats Publishing, Inc., 1974).131.
    49. Ibid. 132.
    50. Vaccaro O., Ruth, K. J. and Stamler J. “Relationship of Postload Plasma Glucose to Mortality with 19 Year Follow-up.” Diabetes Care. Oct 15,1992;10:328-334.
    Tominaga, M., et al, “Impaired Glucose Tolerance Is a Risk Factor for Cardiovascular Disease, but Not Fasting Glucose.” Diabetes Care. 1999:2(6):920-924.
    51. Lee, A. T. and Cerami, A. "Modifications of Proteins and Nucleic Acids by Reducing Sugars: Possible Role in Aging." Handbook of the Biology of Aging. (New York: Academic Press, 1990.).
    52. Monnier, V. M. "Nonenzymatic Glycosylation, the Maillard Reaction and the Aging Process." Journal of Gerontology 1990:45(4 ):105-110.
    53. Dyer, D. G., et al. "Accumulation of Maillard Reaction Products in Skin Collagen in Diabetes and Aging." Journal of Clinical Investigation. 1993:93(6):421-422.
    54. Veromann, S.et al.”Dietary Sugar and Salt Represent Real Risk Factors for Cataract Development.” Ophthalmologica. Jul-Aug 2003 ;217(4):302-307.
    55. Monnier, V. M. "Nonenzymatic Glycosylation, the Maillard Reaction and the Aging Process." Journal of Gerontology. 1990:45(4):105-110.
    56. Schmidt A.M. et al. “Activation of receptor for advanced glycation end products: a mechanism for chronic vascular dysfunction in diabetic vasculopathy and atherosclerosis.” Circ Res.1999 Mar 19;84(5):489-97.
    57. Lewis, G. F. and Steiner, G. “Acute Effects of Insulin in the Control of VLDL Production in Humans. Implications for Theinsulin-resistant State.” Diabetes Care. 1996 Apr;19(4):390-3
    R. Pamplona, M. .J., et al. "Mechanisms of Glycation in Atherogenesis." Medical Hypotheses. 1990;40:174-181.
    58. Ceriello, A. “Oxidative Stress and Glycemic Regulation.” Metabolism. Feb 2000;49(2 Suppl 1):27-29.
    59. Appleton, Nancy. New York; Lick the Sugar Habit. (New York:Avery Penguin Putnam, 1988).
    60. Hellenbrand, W. ”Diet and Parkinson's Disease. A Possible Role for the Past Intake of Specific Nutrients. Results from a Self-administered Food-frequency Questionnaire in a Case-control Study.” Neurology. Sep 1996;47(3):644-650 Cerami, A., Vlassara, H., and Brownlee, M. "Glucose and Aging." Scientific American. May 1987: 90.
    62. Goulart, F. S. "Are You Sugar Smart?" American Fitness. Mar-Apr 1991: 34-38.
    63. Ibid.
    64. Yudkin, J., Kang, S. and Bruckdorfer, K. "Effects of High Dietary Sugar." British Journal of Medicine. Nov 22, 1980;1396.
    65. Goulart, F. S. "Are You Sugar Smart?" American Fitness. March_April 1991: 34-38
    66. Ibid.
    67. Ibid.
    68. Ibid.
    69. Ibid.
    70. Nash, J. "Health Contenders." Essence. Jan 1992-23: 79_81.
    71. Grand, E. "Food Allergies and Migraine."Lancet. 1979:1:955_959.
    72. Michaud, D. ”Dietary Sugar, Glycemic Load, and Pancreatic Cancer Risk in a Prospective Study.” J Natl Cancer Inst. Sep 4, 2002 ;94(17):1293-300.
    73. Schauss, A. Diet, Crime and Delinquency. (Berkley Ca; Parker House, 1981).
    74. Christensen, L. "The Role of Caffeine and Sugar in Depression." Nutrition Report. Mar 1991;9(3):17-24.
    75. Ibid.
    76. Cornee, J., et al. "A Case-control Study of Gastric Cancer and Nutritional Factors in Marseille, France," European Journal of Epidemiology. 1995;11:55-65.
    77. Yudkin, J. Sweet and Dangerous.(New York:Bantam Books,1974) 129.
    78. Ibid, 44
    79. Reiser, S., et al. “Effects of Sugars on Indices on Glucose Tolerance in Humans." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1986:43;151-159.
    80. Reiser,S., et al. “Effects of Sugars on Indices on Glucose Tolerance in Humans." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1986;43:151-159.
    81. Molteni, R, et al. “A High-fat, Refined Sugar Diet Reduces Hippocampal Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor, Neuronal Plasticity, and Learning.” NeuroScience. 2002;112(4):803-814.
    82. Monnier, V., “Nonenzymatic Glycosylation, the Maillard Reaction and the Aging Process.” Journal of Gerontology. 1990;45:105-111.
    83. Frey, J. “Is There Sugar in the Alzheimer’s Disease?” Annales De Biologie Clinique. 2001; 59 (3):253-257.
    84. Yudkin, J. "Metabolic Changes Induced by Sugar in Relation to Coronary Heart Disease and Diabetes." Nutrition and Health. 1987;5(1-2):5-8.
    85. Ibid.
    86. Blacklock, N. J., "Sucrose and Idiopathic Renal Stone." Nutrition and Health. 1987;5(1-2):9-12.
    Curhan, G., et al. “Beverage Use and Risk for Kidney Stones in Women.” Annals of Internal Medicine. 1998:28:534-340.
    87. Journal of Advanced Medicine. 1994;7(1):51-58.
    88. Ibid
    89. Ceriello, A. “Oxidative Stress and Glycemic Regulation.” Metabolism. Feb 2000;49(2 Suppl 1):27-29.
    90. Postgraduate Medicine. Sept 1969:45:602-07.
    91. Moerman, C. J., et al. “Dietary Sugar Intake in the Etiology of Biliary Tract Cancer.” International Journal of Epidemiology. Ap 1993;2(2):207-214.
    92. Quillin, Patrick, “Cancer’s Sweet Tooth.” Nutrition Science News. Ap 2000.
    Rothkopf, M.. Nutrition. July/Aug 1990;6(4).
    93. Lenders, C. M. “Gestational Age and Infant Size at Birth Are Associated with Dietary Intake among Pregnant Adolescents.” Journal of Nutrition. Jun 1997;1113-1117.
    94. Ibid.
    95. Bostick, R. M., et al. "Sugar, Meat.and Fat Intake and Non-dietary Risk Factors for Colon Cancer Incidence in Iowa Women." Cancer Causes & Control. 1994:5:38-53.
    96. Ibid.
    Kruis, W., et al. "Effects of Diets Low and High in Refined Sugars on Gut Transit, Bile Acid Metabolism and Bacterial Fermentation.” Gut. 1991;32:367-370.
    Ludwig, D. S., et al. “High Glycemic Index Foods, Overeating, And Obesity.” Pediatrics. Mar 1999;103(3):26-32.
    97. Yudkin, J and Eisa, O. “Dietary Sucrose and Oestradiol Concentration in Young Men”. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 1988:32(2):53-55.
    98. Lee, A. T. and Cerami A. "The Role of Glycation in Aging." Annals of the New York Academy of Science. 1992; 663:63-70.
    99. Moerman, C. et al."Dietary Sugar Intake in the Etiology of Gallbladder Tract Cancer." Internat J of Epi. Ap 1993; 22(2):207-214.
    100. "Sugar, White Flour Withdrawal Produces Chemical Response." The Addiction Letter. Jul 1992:4.
    Colantuoni, C., et al. “Evidence That Intermittent, Excessive Sugar Intake Causes Endogenous Opioid Dependence.” Obes Res. Jun 2002 ;10(6):478-488.
    101. Ibid.
    102. The Edell Health Letter. Sept 1991;7:1.
    103. Sunehag, A. L., et al. “Gluconeogenesis in Very Low Birth Weight Infants Receiving Total Parenteral Nutrition” Diabetes. 1999 ;48 7991-8000).
    104. Christensen L. et al. “Impact of A Dietary Change on Emotional Distress.” Journal of Abnormal Psychology .1985;94(4):565-79.
    105. Nutrition Health Review. Fall 85. Sugar Changes into Fat Faster than Fat.”
    106. Ludwig, D. S., et al. “High Glycemic Index Foods, Overeating and Obesity.” Pediatrics.Mar1999;103(3):26-32.
    107. Girardi, N.L.” Blunted Catecholamine Responses after Glucose Ingestion in Children with Attention Deficit Disorder.” Pediatrics Research. 1995;38:539-542.
    Berdonces, J. L. “Attention Deficit and Infantile Hyperactivity.” Rev Enferm. Jan 2001;4(1)11-4
    108. Blacklock, N. J. “Sucrose and Idiopathic Renal Stone.” Nutrition Health. 1987;5(1 & 2):9-17.
    109. Lechin, F., et al. “Effects of an Oral Glucose Load on Plasma Neurotransmitters in Humans.” Neurophychobiology. 1992;26(1-2):4-11.
    110. Fields, M. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. Aug 1998;17(4):317-321.
    111. Arieff, A. I. Veterans Administration Medical Center in San Francisco. San Jose Mercury; June 12/86. “IVs of Sugar Water Can Cut Off Oxygen to the Brain.”
    112. De Stefani, E.“Dietary Sugar and Lung Cancer: a Case Control Study in Uruguay.” Nutrition and Cancer. 1998;31(2):132_7.
    113. Sandler, Benjamin P. Diet Prevents Polio. Milwakuee, WI,:The Lee Foundation for for Nutritional Research, 1951.
    114. Murphy, Patricia. “The Role of Sugar in Epileptic Seizures.” Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients. May, 2001.
    115. Stern, N. & Tuck, M. “Pathogenesis of Hypertension in Diabetes Mellitus.” Diabetes Mellitus, a Fundamental and Clinical Test. 2nd Edition, (Phil. A:Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2000)943-957.
    116. Christansen, D. “Critical Care: Sugar Limit Saves Lives.” Science News. June 30, 2001;159:404.
    117. Donnini, D. et al. “Glucose May Induce Cell Death through a Free Radical-mediated Mechanism.”Biochem Biohhys Res Commun. Feb 15, 1996:219(2):412-417.
    118. Allen S. Levine, Catherine M. Kotz, and Blake A. Gosnell . “Sugars and Fats: The Neurobiology of Preference “J. Nutr.2003 133:831S-834S.
    119. Schoenthaler, S. The Los Angeles Probation Department Diet-Behavior Program: Am Empirical Analysis of Six Institutional Settings. Int J Biosocial Res 5(2):88-89.
    120. Deneo-Pellegrini H,. et al.Foods, Nutrients and Prostate cancer: a Case-control study in Uruguay. Br J Cancer. 1999 May;80(3-4):591-7.
    121. “Gluconeogenesis in Very Low Birth Weight Infants Receiving Total Parenteral Nutrition. Diabetes. 1999 Apr;48(4):791-800.
    122. Yudkin, J. and Eisa, O. “Dietary Sucrose and Oestradiol Concentration in Young Men. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 1988;32(2):53-5.
    123. Lenders, C. M. “Gestational Age and Infant Size at Birth Are Associated with Dietary Intake Among Pregnant Adolescents.” Journal of Nutrition 128; 1998::807-1810.
    124. . Peet, M. “International Variations in the Outcome of Schizophrenia and the Prevalence of Depression in Relation to National Dietary Practices: An Ecological
    Analysis.” British Journal of Psychiatry. 2004;184:404-408.
    125. Fonseca, V. et al. “Effects of a High-fat-sucrose Diet on Enzymes in Homosysteine Metabolism in the Rat.” Metabolism. 200; 49:736-41.
    126. Potischman, N, et.al. “Increased Risk of Early-stage Breast Cancer Related to Consumption of Sweet Foods among Women Less than Age 45 in the United States." Cancer Causes Control. 2002 Dec;13(10):937-46.
    127.Negri. E. et al. “Risk Factors for Adenocarcinoma of the Small Intestine.”
    International Journal of Cancer. 1999:82:I2:171-174.
    128.Bosetti, C. et al. “Food Groups and Laryngeal Cancer Risk: A Case-control Study from Italy and Switzerland.” International Journal of Cancer, 2002:100(3): 355-358.
    129. Shannon, M. “An Empathetic Look at Overweight.”CCL Family Found.” Nov-Dec.1993. 20(3):3-5.
    130. Harry G. Preuss, M.D., of Georgetown University Medical School
    131., “Health After 50.” Johns Hopkins Medical Letter. May, 1994.
    132. Allen, S. "Sugars and Fats: The Neurobiology of Preference." Journal of Nutrition. 2003;133:831S-834S.
    133. Booth, D.A.M. etc al. “Sweetness and Food Selection: Measurement of Sweeteners’ Effects on Acceptance.” Sweetness. Dobbing, J., Ed., (London:Springer-Verlag, 1987).
    134. Cleve, T.L On the Causation of Varicose Veins. “Bristol, England, John Wright, 1960.”
    135. Cleve, T.L On the Causation of Varicose Veins. “Bristol, England, John Wright, 1960”.
    136. Ket, Yaffe et al. “Diabetes, Impaired Fasting Glucose and Development of Cognitive Impairment in Older Women. Neurology 2004;63:658–663.
    137. Chatenoud, Liliane et al. “Refined-cereal Intake and Risk of Selected Cancers in Italy.” Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, Dec 1999;70:1107-1110.
    138. Yoo, Sunmi et al. “Comparison of Dietary Intakes Associated with Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors in Young Adults: the Bogalusa Heart Study” Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Oct;80(4):841-848.
    139. Shaw, Gary M. et al. “Neural Tube Defects Associated with Maternal Periconceptional Dietary Intake of Simple Sugars and Glycemic Index.”
    Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, Nov 2003;78:972-978.
    140. Krilanovich, Nicholas J. “Fructose Misuse, the Obesity Epidemic, the Special Problems of the Child, and a Call to Action “ Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, Nov 2004;80:1446-1447.
    141.Jarnerot, G., “Consumption of Refined Sugar by Patients with Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative colitis, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1983 Nov;18(8):999-1002.
    142. Allen, S. "Sugars and Fats: The Neurobiology of Preference." J Nutr.
    2003;133:831S-834S.
    143. De Stefani E, Mendilaharsu M, and Deneo-Pellegrini H. Sucrose as a Risk Factor for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum: a Case-control Study in Uruguay. Int J Cancer. 1998 Jan 5;75(1):40-4.
    144. Levi F, Franceschi S, Negri E, La Vecchia C. “Dietary Factors and the Risk of Endometrial Cancer. Cancer. 1993 Jun 1;71(11):3575-3581.
    145. Mellemgaard A. et al. “Dietary Risk Factors for Renal Cell Carcinoma in Denmark.” Eur J Cancer. 1996 Apr;32A(4):673-82.
    146. Rogers AE, Nields HM, Newberne PM. “Nutritional and Dietary Influences on Liver Tumorigenesis in Mice and Rats. Arch Toxicol Suppl. 1987;10:231-43. Review.
    Nancy Appleton
    P.O. Box 3083
    Santa Monica
    CA 90403
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Default Re: 146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health

Ha! I should print this out and make it my nighttime prayer! Or speak it on a cassette and listen to it while practising yoga!

Thank you for this!
    littleTigercub

Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones become underactive and others become overactive.
    Very true. It's all true. If only it wasn't in so many foods..... And why does it taste so damn nice??!!! Ack!

But I love sugar! And what's the alternative? Aspartame/saccharine, which have been shown to cause holes in the brains of lab rats?

Is this just referring to refined white sugar, or all sugars, e.g. raw cane sugar, maple syrup, fructose, glucose..?

"sugar can cause ....." but how much sugar has these effects? For some consumers, there is sugar in everything - their cold or hot drinks, cakes, biscuits, and much more. But raw sugar in moderation, that is, not every day but occasionally in a hot drink, there is no problem. And as miss_laura asks, what is the alternative - aspartame/saccharine? They truly are poisonous.
    Eve

The thing is - can you have sugar in moderation?

I can`t. Once I have something high sugar i.e. choccy or cakes etc I cannot stop.

I used to take artificial sweeteners where I could but as the links to brain tumours etc become more and more apparent, I don`t trust that stuff either.

There is a sugar substitute called Xylitol, though. (Plums seem to be naturally high in it). This is supposed to be good for your teeth and have a low GI. We have heared about this on a seminar by Patrick Holford and bought a bag - unfortunately, it is expensive at £ 4.00 for 500g (just checked).

littleTigercub

So you're addicted. Have you tried Stevia - it is a natural sweetener made from the leaf of a plant. It's a thousand times sweeter than sugar (I'm exaggerating), but you only need one little drop in a cup of tea.
    Eve

Where do u get ur stevia from eve? a health food shop? I'm curious to try it.
    Can you cook or bake with it? I'm a bake-a-holic

I have tried stevia a long time ago - a colleague brought it in. I have never seen it for sale myself though.

littleTigercub

Ok, whatinthewhat?

Quote Imapeach

Ok, whatinthewhat?
    I can see that. Sugar creates a sort of "high" a rush of energy, and then it drops and you need more to get off again. It creates an addiction...so there are all these kids running around addicted to a white powdery substance. So yes, I can easily see that leading to other drugs. Depends on how we use sugar too. I use sugar, and eat candy occasionally, but I've seen kids that eat candy and soda all day every day, and it's sad to see them so "hooked" on something so unhealthy, and at such a young age...

Imapeach: I bought it at a healthfood store. I never bake, because living alone it's a complete waste of energy to heat up a whole oven in order to bake some sweet potato (I'd rather steam them). I don't eat cakes/biscuits so never use stevia for those purposes. Actually I may throw out the stevia because I've used it so infrequently that it must surely have passed the use-by date.

Quote Imapeach

Ok, whatinthewhat?
    Good question. I tried Google:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Default Re: Sugar

Well then, I guess that even though I haven't had a drink in 4 years, I am at huge risk of becoming a drunk God I love sugar

LOL banana.

so whats the best natural sweetener to use than? i use stevia,that may be too expensive to bake with. but for baking purposes i dont know what to use that isnt too expensive, or how to use something like maple syrup in place of sugar (ie. measurements)
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Well, I guess that following are good vegan sweetners one can use :-

Evaporated Sugar Cane Juice( also called as Jaggery,Gur/Gud in India,usually available in solid lump or granuels form)

( It is versatile sweetner, you can use even in Soya Ice cream or whatever and it is commonly available)

Fruit juice
    Riped Banana
    Raisin
    dry Fig
    Dates
    Agave nectar( It is plant based and absolutely Honey substitute too and available on veganessentials.com)

Palm Tree Jaggery

I hate artificial sweetners.

Manish Jain

Default Re: Addicted to sugar

when i wasn't vegan, i used to eat *only* sweets. And the only problem for me is that a lot of sweets contains milk or eggs (in poland, at least). but i don't put sugar in tea, i just think it's disgusting. I can eat even a kilo of fruit a day <3
    i'm addicted to sugar too

I am totally addicted to sugar, I tried being without it and lasted one month. I finally succeded this and I have become a vegan, allthogh a vegan who sits and eats from the vegan chocolate spread jar... Yummie. But I guess its better to be an unhealthy vegan than a unhealthy vegetarian (as I was previously) But I eat more fruit and veggies now so..

Question: Why did the vegan choco bar not taste sweet at all? Must I try different brands of vegan choco or what?

I am totally addicted to sugar, I tried being without it and lasted one month. I finally succeded this and I have become a vegan, allthogh a vegan who sits and eats from the vegan chocolate spread jar... Yummie. But I guess its better to be an unhealthy vegan than a unhealthy vegetarian (as I was previously) But I eat more fruit and veggies now so..

Question: Why did the vegan choco bar not taste sweet at all? Must I try different brands of vegan choco or what?

i think i like my addiction to sugar

mango woman

Default Question about possible animal sugars...?

Does anyone know which sugars out of the following are derived from animals/animal products? I know a few on the list are but I'm not quite sure of most of them.

sucrose
    sucralose
    dextrose
    maltodextrose
    maltodextrine
    glucose
    maltose
    fructose
    lactose

Thank you very much for any help!

Ashley

Default Re: Question about possible animal sugars...?

Quote theashleybeyer
    Does anyone know which sugars out of the following are derived from animals/animal products? I know a few on the list are but I'm not quite sure of most of them.

sucrose
    sucralose
    dextrose
    maltodextrose
    maltodextrine
    glucose
    maltose
    fructose
    lactose

Thank you very much for any help!

Ashley
    Hello Ashley

As far as I know only lactose on that list isn't vegan though some refined sugar is bleached over the bones of animals. Good luck

mango woman

Question Re: Sugar

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Artificial sweeteners are POISON!

Splenda is "sucralose". Sucralose is produced by chlorinating sugar. This involves chemically changing the structure of the sugar molecules by substituting three chlorine atoms for three hydroxyl groups. Being that the sugar used by the chemists who manufacture this toxin do not make use of organic sugar, it is processed through bone char, making it neither a vegan or even a vegetarian product. Additionally, it was tested on thousands of animals before it was put out on the market, since only a handful of human studies have actually been conducted in a short period of time, and the "heavies" who are the proponents of this toxin needed to have "proof" that it was not unhealthy.

Now, wanna know about Nutrasweet and Saccharin or any others?

I'm not sure where i've been, possibly living in a hole but GASP i must must must throw that splenda out of my kitchen! The only thing is ... what's the best "sugar" to put in coffee? the thing i liked about splenda was that it was cal free.. ive been trying to read up on stevia but im not really sure what it is yet. I'm in the U.S so if anyone wants to help me out with that I'd be verrry grateful. Coffee's really the only thing i ever need to add a sweetener to.

oh one more question.. has anyone here heard of "bee barf"? it's supposedly a honey that the manufacturers don't kill the bees when harvesting the honey.. are there vegans here who eat honey? what about yeast? sorry about this turning into a 98756 question post.

THANKS!

~ashley

Default 146 reasons why sugar is ruining your health

This list comes complete with end notes!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health

By Nancy Appleton, Ph.D.

Author of LICK THE SUGAR HABIT and LICK THE SUGAR HABIT SUGAR COUNTER.

1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.

2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body.

3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.

4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.

5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).

6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you loose.

7. Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins.

8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.

9 Sugar leads to cancer of the ovaries.

10. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose.

11. Sugar causes copper deficiency.

12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.

13. Sugar can weaken eyesight.

14. Sugar raises the level of a neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.

15. Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.

16. Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract.

17. Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline levels in children.

18. Sugar malabsorption is frequent in patients with functional bowel disease.

19. Sugar can cause premature aging.

21. Sugar can cause tooth decay.

22. Sugar contributes to obesity

23. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.

24. Sugar can cause changes frequently found in person with gastric or duodenal ulcers.

25. Sugar can cause arthritis.

26. Sugar can cause asthma.

27. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections).

28. Sugar can cause gallstones.

29. Sugar can cause heart disease.

30. Sugar can cause appendicitis.

31. Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis.

32. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.

33. Sugar can cause varicose veins.

34. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.

35. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.

36. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.

37. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.

38. Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.

39. Sugar can lower the amount of Vitamin E (alpha-Tocopherolin the blood.

40. Sugar can decrease growth hormone.

41. Sugar can increase cholesterol.

42. Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.

43. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.

44. High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs)(Sugar bound non-enzymatically to protein)

45. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.

46. Sugar causes food allergies.

47. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.

48. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.

49. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.

50. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.

51. Sugar can impair the structure of DNA

52. Sugar can change the structure of protein.

53. Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.

54. Sugar can cause cataracts.

55. Sugar can cause emphysema.

56. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.

57. Sugar can promote an elevation of low density lipoproteins (LDL).

58. High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in the body.

59. Sugar lowers the enzymes ability to function.

60. Sugar intake is higher in people with Parkinson’s disease.

61. Sugar can cause a permanent altering the way the proteins act in the body.

62. Sugar can increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells divide.

63. Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat.

64. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.

65. Sugar can damage the pancreas.

66. Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.

67. Sugar is enemy #1 of the bowel movement.

68. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).

69. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.

70. Sugar can make the tendons more brittle.

71. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraine.

72. Sugar plays a role in pancreatic cancer in women.

73. Sugar can adversely affect school children's grades and cause learning disorders..

74. Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves.

75. Sugar can cause depression.

76. Sugar increases the risk of gastric cancer.

77. Sugar and cause dyspepsia (indigestion).

78. Sugar can increase your risk of getting gout.

79. Sugar can increase the levels of glucose in an oral glucose tolerance test over the ingestion of complex carbohydrates.

80. Sugar can increase the insulin responses in humans consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.

81 High refined sugar diet reduces learning capacity.

82. Sugar can cause less effective functioning of two blood proteins, albumin, and lipoproteins, which may reduce the body’s ability to handle fat and cholesterol.

83. Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.

84. Sugar can cause platelet adhesiveness.

85. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones become underactive and others become overactive.

86. Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones.

87. Sugar can lead to the hypothalamus to become highly sensitive to a large variety of stimuli.

88. Sugar can lead to dizziness.

89. Diets high in sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress.

90. High sucrose diets of subjects with peripheral vascular disease significantly increases platelet adhesion.

91. High sugar diet can lead to biliary tract cancer.

92. Sugar feeds cancer.

93. High sugar consumption of pregnant adolescents is associated with a twofold increased risk for delivering a small-for-gestational-age (SGA) infant.

94. High sugar consumption can lead to substantial decrease in gestation duration among adolescents.

95. Sugar slows food's travel time through the gastrointestinal tract.

96. Sugar increases the concentration of bile acids in stools and bacterial enzymes in the colon. This can modify bile to produce cancer-causing compounds and colon cancer.

97. Sugar increases estradiol (the most potent form of naturally occurring estrogen) in men.

98. Sugar combines and destroys phosphatase, an enzyme, which makes the process of digestion more difficult.

99. Sugar can be a risk factor of gallbladder cancer.

100. Sugar is an addictive substance.

101. Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.

102. Sugar can exacerbate PMS.

103. Sugar given to premature babies can affect the amount of carbon dioxide they produce.

104. Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.

105. The body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.

106. The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.

107. Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

108. Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition.

109. Sugar can slow down the ability of the adrenal glands to function.

110. Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases.

111.. I.Vs (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to the brain.

112. High sucrose intake could be an important risk factor in lung cancer.

113. Sugar increases the risk of polio.

114. High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.

115. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.

116. In Intensive Care Units, limiting sugar saves lives.

117. Sugar may induce cell death.

118. Sugar can increase the amount of food that you eat.

119. In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low sugar diet, there was a 44% drop in antisocial behavior.

120. Sugar can lead to prostrate cancer.

121. Sugar dehydrates newborns.

122. Sugar increases the estradiol in young men.

123. Sugar can cause low birth weight babies.

124. Greater consumption of refined sugar is associated with a worse outcome of schizophrenia

125. Sugar can raise homocysteine levels in the blood stream.

126. Sweet food items increase the risk of breast cancer.

127. Sugar is a risk factor in cancer of the small intestine.

128. Sugar may cause laryngeal cancer.

129. Sugar induces salt and water retention.

130. Sugar may contribute to mild memory loss.

131. As sugar increases in the diet of 10 years olds, there is a linear decrease in the intake of many essential nutrients.

132. Sugar can increase the total amount of food consumed.

133. Exposing a newborn to sugar results in a heightened preference for sucrose relative to water at 6 months and 2 years of age.

134. Sugar causes constipation.

135. Sugar causes varicous veins.

136. Sugar can cause brain decay in prediabetic and diabetic women.

137. Sugar can increase the risk of stomach cancer.

138. Sugar can cause metabolic syndrome.

139. Sugar ingestion by pregnant women increases neural tube defects in embryos.

140. Sugar can be a factor in asthma.

141. The higher the sugar consumption the more chances of getting irritable bowel syndrome.

142. Sugar could affect central reward systems.

143. Sugar can cause cancer of the rectum.

144. Sugar can cause endometrial cancer.

145. Sugar can cause renal (kidney) cell carcinoma.

146. Sugar can cause liver tumors.

Default Re: 146 reasons why sugar is ruining your health

You are now.

mmmm, sugar. Sweet and good for you
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

FR

F$@& That! It would severely suck to never eat anything with sugar in it.

Pilaf

Only sugar I get is from fruit, anyway. That's mostly referring to white sugar.

Talking Re: 146 reasons why sugar is ruining your health

i belive that sugar is ok for you if used in moderation.

its not good for you, but sugar is not the worst thing out there for your health.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Sugar made from sugarbeet and sugarcane are toatlly unhealthy for you. You should read the book "the sugar blues" which details the effect that these kinds of sugars havbe on your body.

They are addictive and used by industry to attract you to crave and eat foods that you do not even know contain sugar.

If you think you don't eat much of these sugars you could be wrong. If you eat food that comes from packages or tins or that has been processed in any way you could be consuming a lot of sugar.

When I stopped eating sugar I discovered that I didn't get a cold when everyone else got it. I discovered that the severity of my eczema reduced.

I would say QUIT NOW before it's too late.

I have noticed that a lot of Vegans crave sweet things, I wonder why that is.

I agree that sugar is not the WORST thing for your health, but if you are participating in other unhealthy behavours then consumption of sugar compounds the effect on your body.

Have a nice day

Antony sweet
    stralia mate

On the Coast

What about Vegan S'mores? They ca'nt be bad for you - .........

If they were, how can they make me feel soooooooo good -

its so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad its goooooooooooooooooood

you mean like that

To attack your cravings on a different level, check out Doreen Virtue's "Constant Craving A-Z: A Simple Guide to Understanding and Healing Your Food Cravings" or "Losing Your Pounds of Pain". Even if you don't have some sort of struggle with food, I liked them for insight.
    If you still want to go the physical route, you might enjoy Dr. Neal Barnard's "Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings - And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally"
    I benefited from each of these books in some way and highly recommend them all. Barnard's has some great recipes in the back also.

Thanks.

I've come a long way since Feburary. I have cut down a lot but I still eat some things with sugar.

I'll see my library has those books.

Quote jjdaiquiri
    i belive that sugar is ok for you if used in moderation.

its not good for you, but sugar is not the worst thing out there for your health.
    In small quantities it might not do too much harm but for some people its incredibly addictive. Ive been addicted to sugar since i was little. Im now 30 and suffering from a variety of symptoms which i believe are dervied from eating too much sugar. I developed gallstones, I have chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, and hair loss. The majority of which is due to adrenal exhaustion, due in the most part to a diet too high in sugar and refined carbs. Personally, i think it is one of the worst things out there. Most people underestimate the effects.

xxFlame7

Default Sugar!

Ok, I know that white sugar isn't vegan because of the bone char. So I always buy sucanat for my baking and my tea.

But what about when a food has sugar ingredients? Do they always have bone char? For instance, most sweet, packaged foods contain "high fructose corn syrup" or "corn syrup". I always assumed that these were straight from the fruit/vegetable. But then someone mentioned to me lately that anything that has sugar in it isn't vegan. Now I'm a bit confused. Do ALL sugars have bone char... or just table sugar.

There are dessert breads in my college cafeteria that are labeled vegan, but if they have sugar in them, then they must not be vegan. Because I doubt my cafeteria even has heard of sucanat.

Any sugar experts here?
    Last edited by flutterby; Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Merged with existing thread.

Default Re: Sugar!

WHAT!!! I've bought white sugar in an emergency and I certainly didn't know it had bone char in it!!!!!!
    I buy unprocessed if I have a choce but ff's,
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote thecatspajamas1
    Ok, I know that white sugar isn't vegan because of the bone char. So I always buy sucanat for my baking and my tea.

But what about when a food has sugar ingredients? Do they always have bone char? For instance, most sweet, packaged foods contain "high fructose corn syrup" or "corn syrup". I always assumed that these were straight from the fruit/vegetable. But then someone mentioned to me lately that anything that has sugar in it isn't vegan. Now I'm a bit confused. Do ALL sugars have bone char... or just table sugar.
    The bone char is used to process some sugar, not all sugar are processed with bone char. It also depends on how far u r willing to go. Some vegans may consider it ok.

Information on bone char
    http://www.purifymind.com/SugarSweet.htm
    http://www.sucrose.com/bonechar.html

Quote Hemlock
    WHAT!!! I've bought white sugar in an emergency and I certainly didn't know it had bone char in it!!!!!!
    I buy unprocessed if I have a choce but ff's,
    You're pretty safe in the UK.
    White sugar over here is mostly from beet. And the big two sugar refiners over here don't use bone char in refining their white cane sugar.
    The various brown sugars are less likely to be vegan, however.

For God's sake, is nothing sacred? How is it possible to make things like sugar non vegan? It's a natural plant product. I feel like I've been contaminated.
    It's like hiding milk and milk proteins in crisps, I have no idea why manufacturerers need to put milk in crisps - it's potatoes for goodness sakes
    *Shakes head in disbelief*
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Vegan sugar?

Whats the difference between regular sugar and vegan? Sugar doesnt have animal products in it, does it?
    Last edited by flutterby; Dec 12th, 2005 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Merged with existing sugar thread.

Default Re: Vegan sugar?

Refine white sugar is filtered with bone char.
    Peace, love, and happiness.