Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vegans, health and sugar

Default Re: The Sugar Thread

She'll get all offended be like, "I try my best to get you vegan stuff" blah blah blah. She's not a very rational woman.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Kirska

Opionion:

Stay away from: Artificial sweeteners (ANYTHING that you can't find growing on a plant, extract from a plant without machines, etc. "Derived from" is a key word to look for.), white sugar, powdered sugar, confectioner's anything, fructos, etc. (BTW, fructos is essentially a plant-sugar...and yet, like most things, once tampered with has become almost meaningless to our body's nutritional side.)
    Also, if you're the type that uses honey, don't trust "grade A". Buy organic honey. It's expensive, but just for the word "organic", you're promised a purer product. Doesn't mean they'll deliver, but the FDA here in the USA is picky about most of their organic products, so it's a good bet.

Also, the words "All natural", "Natural flavor", etc are worthless. Disregard those words and shop for a pure, clean, genuine item rather than one that's "all natural". (To companies making money, anything can be NATURALLY DERIVED from anything.)

What to look for: I've had a grand 'ole time with stevia, evaporated cane juice (far more useful than normal cane sugar or processed, bleached white sugar), maple syrup (expensive!), and honey. If you're the type that has little money but needs sweet tea, stevia's awesome. You can find stevia exctract crystals alone and bare, by themselves for...bah, maybe $6 a small container. However, this stuff'll last you for light use daily in tea and coffee for like a year. It's even good for topical use!

Be careful when listening to the possitives and negatives on specific types of foods and products. Make sure to test things out for yourself (if it's practical to do for your person) and choose what works best for you. With all of the money floating around between rumors, I'd say it's better to go with your 'gut' instinct. : P

Kirska

Hey tigerlily, my mom used to be the same way. When I lived near her, I'd receive baked goodies all of the time. Usually I'd take a few bites to satisfy her and when she left I'd give them away to friends (who would then tell me how hot my mom was and that they liked her cooking...).

How'd I try to solve the problem? I told her that my new religion forbade the use of all 'derived' sweeteners, and that the only sweet foods I was allowed to eat were plant foods!

...It didn't work. I hope you can make it work. ._. I still have to give the silly things away.

Hi, here's some more stuff about sugar and bone char:

excerpt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_char :
    Bone char is used to remove fluoride from water and to filter aquarium water.
    It is often used in the sugar refining industry for decolorizing (a process patented by Louis Constant in 1812). This leads to worries from vegans and vegetarians, since about a quarter of the sugar in the US is processed using bone char as a filter (about half of all sugar from sugar cane is processed with bone char, the rest with activated carbon). As bone char does not get into the sugar, sugar processed this way is considered parve/Kosher.
    Excerpt from http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj97mar/973sugar.htm :
    Refined sugar is avoided by some vegetarians because its processing may involve a bone char filter. An activated carbon filter, sometimes made of bone char, decolorises sugar to make it white through an absorption process. While the bone char filter is used by some major sugar companies, it is not used to produce all refined sugar.
    The two major types of refined sugar produced in the United States are beet sugar and cane sugar. Cane sugar is mainly grown in Florida, California, Louisiana, Hawaii and Texas. Beet sugar is grown in states located in the middle part of the U.S. Much sugar cane is actually imported.

According to beet sugar producers, beet and cane sugar are nutritionally equivalent and one cannot usually taste any difference between them. They are both composed of sucrose. The production and sale of each type of sugar are approximately equal (1).

Beet sugar refineries never use a bone char filter in processing because this type of sugar does not require an extensive decolorising procedure. Beet sugar can be refined with a pressure lead filter and an ion exchange system. Beet sugar is popular in the Midwest because it is grown in this area. It is often labeled Granulated Sugar. Beet sugar is becoming more prevalent in the United States because the Federal government subsidises this industry.

Almost all cane sugar refineries require the use of a specific filter to decolorise the sugar and absorb inorganic material from it. This whitening process occurs towards the end of the sugar refining procedure. The filter may be either bone char, granulated carbon, or an ion exchange system. The granular carbon has a wood or coal base, and the ion exchange does not require the use of any animal products (2).

Bones from cows are the only type used to make bone char. According to the Sugar Association and several large sugar producers, all of the cows have died of "natural causes" and do not come from the U.S. meat industry. Bone char cannot be produced or bought in the United States (3).
    Excerpt from http://www.vegfamily.com/articles/sugar.htm :
    Bone char, made from the bones of cows, is at times used to whiten sugar. Some sugar companies use it in filters to decolorize their sugar. Other types of filters involve granular carbon or an ion exchange system rather than bone char.

The following sugar companies DO NOT use bone-char filters:
    Florida Crystals Refinery
    P.O. Box 86
    South Bay, FL 33493
    407-996-9072
    Labels: Florida Crystals

Refined Sugars Incorporated
    One Federal St.
    Yonkers, NY 10702
    914-963-2400
    Labels: Jack Frost, Country Cane, 4# Flow-Sweet
    Pillsbury
    Makes powdered brown sugar

Supreme Sugar Company (subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland)
    P.O. Box 56009
    New Orleans, LA 70156
    504-831-0901
    Labels: Supreme, Southern Bell, Rouse's Markets

Excerpt from http://www.vegan.org/FAQs/index.html
    Is refined sugar vegan? It depends on how you define 'vegan.' Refined sugars do not contain any animal products, and so by an ingredients-based definition of vegan, refined sugar is vegan. However, some refined sugar is processed with animal bone char. The charcoal is used to remove color, impurities, and minerals from sugar. The charcoal is not 'in' the sugar, but is used in the process as as a filter. Thus by a process-based definition of vegan, refined sugar may not be considered vegan. For those who would prefer not to use refined sugar, there are several alternatives: raw, turbinado, beet sugar, succanat, date sugar, fructose, barley malt, rice syrup, corn syrup, molasses, and maple syrup.

However, if one accepts a process-based definition of vegan, then many other familiar products would also not be considered vegan. For instance, steel and vulcanized rubber are produced using animal fats and, in many areas, groundwater and surface water is filtered through bone charcoal filters. So, is a box of pasta that contains no animal products, but has transported to the store in a steel truck on rubber wheels and then cooked in boiling water at your home, vegan? Under a process-based definition, possibly not. But according to such a definition, it would be difficult to find any products in this country that are vegan.
    Excerpt from http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ral_sugar.html
    There are typically 26 different kinds of sweeteners commonly used in foods. These include granulated sugar, brown sugar, Splenda and sweeteners such as Sweet and Low. White sugar (the kind you commonly use in baking) and natural granulated sugar is not quite the same thing. White sugar is bleached and processed. Natural sugar is not. In fact, if you are a vegetarian, you might be interested to know that about 25 percent of all white sugar is refined using the animal bone-char process. It is not easy to tell which brands are or are not processed this way. In addition, when white sugar is processed, it is bleached, which is not necessary. In case you are wondering, light and dark brown sugars are also not the same as the brown/tan natural sugar. It is simple white sugar that has been mixed with molasses.

So what are the advantages of natural sugar? Natural or raw sugar is not processed at all. For those who are concerned about his or her health, this is a big advantage. This sugar, which is tan in color, is not bleached. Also, since the bone-char process is not used, it is a perfect alternative for those living a vegetarian lifestyle.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Ages ago I had intolerance testing and one of things that came up was sugar. I avoided it for a while and now have not too much. Generally sweeten with other things but will have cakes every now and then.
    After making too much icing/frosting for my vegan cupcakes, I ate LOADS of sugar on Saturday.
    Today I have managed to scream and shout at both my dad and elder daughter and had my brother put the phone down on me after I called him a lazy bastard. This was followed by me kicking and punching the cupboards and doors and generally feeling like I wanted to have a fight!
    I used to eat loads of sugar when I was a younger person and often felt more agressive and angry with people. Although I was also often up partying and taking drugs, so it's hard to know which it was.
    I am honestly suprised that I had such a strong reaction, but I did eat loads. I will definately be rationing my intake in future!

I'm very intolerant to sugar. I had a bit of a binge 2 weekends ago and came out in hives all over my skin, which still haven't faded. I have a candida problem which may well be to blame. I know I shouldn't eat sugar but I'm so addicted to it. I'm trying to follow an anticandida diet at the moment (cutting out sugar and yeast, including fruit) but not easy for a sugar addict. Reading about how harmful sugar is is helping a little though.

Hello everyone!

I was researching a possible reason for my cronic depression and general unstable moods when I came across this thread. I currently am eating a very high sugar diet and have been wondering if sugar has not been the cause of most of my problems. I am going of not have any sugar for a few days and see what happens, I may have to gradually reduce myself off it and see what happens.

But wow...it never occured to me that sugar can cause all that!!!

metta,
    kat

Quote ckatgo View Post
    currently am eating a very high sugar diet and have been wondering if sugar has not been the cause of most of my problems.
    You are not alone! Look here:
    Many doctors, nutritionists, and researchers consider refined sugar a major nemesis of American
    health. Nevertheless, sugar is, hands down, America's number one food additive. Would you believe that we consume ten times more of it than we do all the other 2,600 or so food additives put together!

The one exception is salt, but even it runs a very distant second. Every year the typical American consumes between 120 and 150 pounds of refined sugar. That translates to overone third of a pound a day, 600-plus calories of teeth-rotting, health destroying sweetness. Sort of a contradiction in terms. Even if you don't eat sweets, the amount of refined sugar you may be consuming would no doubt shock you.

Over two thirds of the refined sugar used in this country is added to manufactured food products. In other words, it's hidden in many of the things we buy at the supermarket. For instance, did you know that a tablespoon of ketchup contains a full teaspoon of sugar?

...I may have to gradually reduce myself off it and see what happens.
    A gradual reduction sounds like a good idea.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Okay, so I sort of wanted to cut down on my refined sugar. I am just at a loss. My body "craves" a dessert every day and fruit really doesn't cut it. In fact, eating some fruit for a dessert craving will only make the craving worse. I end up going overboard and eating 15 cookies in 5 minutes.

I don't know what to use in my tea. I tried stevia and it tates gross. I'm going to start using agave nectar although that's still a sugar but not as "horrible" as white refined sugar.
    When I went vegan in November I also gave up sugar/processed foods/e numbers (additives) and coffee. The only two things I craved were sugar and coffee. Coffee I'd given up a number of times before so i knew that if I got through the initial cravings then they would go away. Sugar was harder though. It's one of the most addictive substances there is (apparently more addictive than cocaine). I found that I'd get these huge sugar cravings that made me feel unwell and really stopped me from doing anything. They were quite crippling really. What I did to deal with them is eat dates. I had a big bag of dried dates and I'd eat a few. This would remove the cravings and after using this technique for a while the cravings went away.

The thing is sugar addiction is like alcoholism. Once you quit you have to stay off it otherwise it'll just take you over again (it's the same with caffeine). It's not as hard as you think though. I live in a house full of sugary foods/dairy/meat/coffee and resist them all. It's really down to your body craving what you eat. Once you cut something out completely the cravings go away. It takes time sometimes but your body will adjust.

I can't cope with sugar at all! After two small glasses of wine I not only feel so p*ssed I can't stand but also have to go straight to bed to sleep it off
    The older you get the less sugar you can tolerate.
    If I have to use sugar we use molasses or unrefined - but very rarely unless making a cake for guests or whatever.
    Sweetners went in the bin a while back, best to manage without.
    When I ate sugar I often suffered from exhaustion and weakness after the initial rush.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I don't know what to use in my tea. I tried stevia and it tates gross. I'm going to start using agave nectar although that's still a sugar but not as "horrible" as white refined sugar.
    I gave up sugar in my tea ages ago. I always thought tea tasted gross without sugar but I was determined to get used to it. I started by switching to maple syrup but it was expensive so I cut it out all together. Now I just drink rooibus tea without sugar. I can't stand sugar in my tea or even normal tea anymore. It took 3-4 months for it to happen but its amazing how your taste buds change if you persevere.

That's interesting Masiepasie. I think I'll try my Rooibos without sugar. I've stopped adding sugar to pretty much everything else.

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I gave up sugar in my tea ages ago. I always thought tea tasted gross without sugar but I was determined to get used to it. I started by switching to maple syrup but it was expensive so I cut it out all together. Now I just drink rooibus tea without sugar. I can't stand sugar in my tea or even normal tea anymore. It took 3-4 months for it to happen but its amazing how your taste buds change if you persevere.
    Thank you.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

cherylglistner

Hi everyone!

I've actually read about how sugar is an unnecessary evil in this really cool book called Food of the Gods by Terrence McKenna. It basically theorizes that modern slavery (by which I mean slavery in the 1700 - 1800s) was brought about due to the popularity of sugar and the need for cheap labor to farm and distribute sugar. Aside from the social consequences of mass sugar consumption, he points out that refined sugar has next-to-no nutritional value. Many doctors have argued that sugar, along with high-fructose corn syrup, be considered a food additive. Sugar, in its natural form (such as in fruits or vegetables), actually contain many vitamins and nutrients, but is still not a necessary part of a person's diet. Refined sugar can cause a myriad of health issues such as tooth decay, sore gums, diabetes, and/or obesity. It has very few benefits.

So, yeah, I'm off of sugar fortunately and should you!

~CherylGlistner~

Does anyone ever worry about the sugar they get from fruit? I bought a pack of dates today for the first time in ages and they're SO damn moreish. I think I ate 200g worth before I stopped. I know it's all natural sugar but they're so sweet it can't be that great for you can it? I wonder the same thing about pineapples, mangoes and other such very sweet fruit.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Oh man, you made me want a date. I shouldn't eat more than 2 because they make me sick from the sweetness. To answer your question, basically, sugar is sugar. The only reason that fruit is better is that it comes with water,vitamins,fiber, minerals etc. (Table sugar is of course devoid of all these things.) It's still sugar though. It still spikes your insulin etc etc.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

How does refined sugar show up on ingredients on packaged foods?
    "If music is the food of love, play on!"

Mahk

Answer: "Sugar"

yeah that's what I thought. Tofutti ice cream sanwiches have refined sugar! It seems like they would use sugar not filtered with bone char though. anyone know anything about that?

Mahk

It depends on what country you are in, who answers your e-mail when you write them, and whether they stick to the same sugar supplier month after month after month. I'm 99% sure that their selection of sugar supplier has nothing to do with "bone char filtration" and it doesn't factor into their decision; In fact the person who makes this call probably wouldn't even understand what you were talking about unless you explained it to them. They buy whoever is cheapest and easiest to get that month!

From my own basic web research, I've concluded that about 25% of sugar in the US is still filtered through bone char. I've personally decided to eat "unknown filtration method sugar" because of how ubiquitous it is as a minor ingredient in so many non-sweet foods. Sugar is found in many cereals, soups, breads, beer, condiments, soups, salad dressings, etc.

IMO, the alternative approach would be to write each manufacturer monthly asking,"Hi, remember me? I'm the guy who writes monthly to ask if you are still using Domino Sugar UPC #899298387484 (as you did last month) or have you switched and if so to what brand and UPC number? Thanks as alway, talk to you next month....."

Does that seem like a reasonable way to live your life? To me it doesn't.

Additionally, I consider myself to be a "content based" vegan as opposed to a "process based" vegan.

Mahk

edit: Fliltration is a "process", the sugar does not "contain" bone char.

YMMV.

Regardless, if you buy refined sugar that is filtered using bone char, you create a deman for the bone char, thus causing, or adding to the need for, the death of an animal.

Quote Deadheadsam View Post
    Regardless, if you buy refined sugar that is filtered using bone char, you create a deman for the bone char, thus causing, or adding to the need for, the death of an animal.
    I have to agree here. It's just rather sad that companies make it so difficult to be vegan...

Nowadays, it's usually called "Evaporated cane juice." I don't know what regulations they have against calling plain old sugar that.

steven1222

Evaporated cane juice is not the same thing as refined sugar. It contains trace minerals and is never processed through bone char.

Quote Mahk View Post
    edit: Fliltration is a "process", the sugar does not "contain" bone char.
    I disagree. Animal bone does not last forever; as the filters wear down, traces enter the sugar.

Quote steven1222 View Post
    Evaporated cane juice is not the same thing as refined sugar. It contains trace minerals and is never processed through bone char.
    So, "Evaporated cane juice" is vegan, even if it's not organic or "100%" or "pure"?

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post

I used to put sugar and often soy in all my tea but once I started work in a tea store I'd put less and less and now I don't put anything in any tea I drink. Interesting..

steven1222

So, "Evaporated cane juice" is vegan, even if it's not organic or "100%" or "pure"?
    Yes. Evaporated cane juice is processed using a different method, so it never uses animal-derived filters, even if it is not organic.

"100%" and "Pure" are probably marketing gimmicks. For example, if it were 98% evaporated cane juice and 2% conventional cane sugar, they could not label the product as containing only evaporated cane juice.

most packaged foods will have some other name for sugar - like some have said, evaporated cane juice, sucrose, invert sugar, corn syrup, HFCS, sugar alcohols, etc. There's a lot actually! I'd pretty much say that any sweet tasting packaged food has some form of simple sugar in it. The exception to this is probably raw bars or "health" bars that use dates or agave nectar.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Video link:
    Chocolate, Cheese, Meat, and Sugar - Physically Addictive Foods

Neal Barnard MD discusses the science behind food additions. Willpower is not to blame: chocolate, cheese, meat, and sugar release opiate-like substances. Dr. Barnard also discusses how industry, aided by government, exploits these natural cravings, pushing us to eat more and more unhealthy foods. A plant-based (vegan) diet is the solution to avoid many of these problems.

Default Re: Vegans, health and sugar

Here are two articles about sugar:

Sugar made with cow bone char
    "Animal Bones"

Vegans and sugar is also discussed in the Vegan Chocolate-thread.

man this thread makes me want to give up sugar seriously. now i know probably why ive been feeling crappy lately. so much sugar! and ive always wondered why my sweet tooth has been amplified since going veg years ago...

^ I've been wanting excessive amounts of salt since going vegan, maybe it's the same with sugar.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Samariah, it could be that you are not eating enough?

Sara, I started being more free with salt as I got older, hated it as a child!

i probably eat too much actually

im trying to lose weight.

Maybe you are getting too many empty calories and not enough nutrients?

I make things from scratch so manage to miss out sugar to a certain extent.

I use fruit sugar, (fructose) when I need to use sugar in a recipe.
    I've seen told it's a lot lower on the GI (or GL) scale so therefore a lot better for you than regular sugar.

Woah, I didn't know sugar was that bad.

When my family was practically living off bread, rice, and noodle (not enough vegetables at that time) I took my sugar out of my cabinet.. and ate -I admit- handfuls of it. I started wondering why the heck I got this sugar craving, because you don't usually see me snatching sugar, just sugar, outta the cabinet and chomping it down. >.>;;

But that was like a month or two ago. Recently, we bought vegan ice cream and boy, I eat it reeeeaaaal fast. x_x; But I think that's not too big of a problem, because I rarely ever have sweets. x.x So yeah.

Wink Re: Vegans, health and sugar

I strongly recommend Agave Nectar as a substitute for sugar. Tastes great, is natural and is mostly frustose, with a low GI.

Plus it's cheaper than maple syrup
    How can you eat anything with eyes? ~Will Kellogg

Yet another reason to keep the sugar intake low:
    Ten Studies Showing the Link Between Sugar and Increased Cancer Risk

^ I'd take everything from natural news with a pinch of salt (or sugar). A quick google search for sugar and cancer shows that that article is telling far from the whole story.

If you read the 'about the author' bit at the bottom of natural health articles you will usually find that the authors do not have any official accreditations in the areas that they are talking about and they often appear to lean towards what is 'natural' over science.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I take "everything" with a pinch of salt.

I have seen things almost everywhere that lacks the scientific level of background/discussion for conclusions that are being made that I'd like to see - even when looking at the actual sources.

Regarding Natural News, they're pretty good at finding material that others often don't even bother to focus on: what I don't like with that site is that they often fail to actually list the specific course, which means that a visit there often means some extra googling if one is (like we probably both are) critical to claims that aren't backed up with real facts.

Having said that, the sugar article actually does mention a lot of studies (some excerpts, with sources in bold):

1. Colorectal Cancer in Women (United States)

A study conducted by Harvard Medical School found that women who ate the most foods with high glycemic load – the glycemic index, or GI, of a food gives an idea of how quickly sugar (more specifically, glucose) levels in the blood rise after eating it – had almost three times the risk of getting colorectal cancer in the future, compared with women who ate lesser amounts of such foods.

Typically, processed foods made from refined grains and refined sugar, including candy bars, cakes, cookies and other snacks, are high glycemic foods

2. Colorectal Cancer in Men (United States)

Another study at Harvard University found that middled aged men whose diets tended to increase blood sugar levels quicker, i.e. those who ate more high GI foods, had a 32% higher chance of getting colorectal cancer over a period of 20 years.

The study, which involved more than 50,000 men, also found that this effect seemed to be more pronounced in heavier men.

3. Breast Cancer in Women (United States)

The Women's Health Study found that those who consumed a diet which raised blood sugar levels more had a 135% higher risk of getting breast cancer in the 7-year period of the study.

4. Endometrial Cancer in Women (United States)

The Iowa Women's Health Study looked at some 23,000 post-menopausal women. It found that those who consumed a diet which raised blood sugar levels more had a 46% higher risk of getting endometrial cancer over a period of 15 years.

5. Endometrial Cancer in Women (Italy)

Another study in Italy carried out on women with endometrial cancer found that those who consumed a blood sugar-raising diet had a 110% higher risk of getting this disease.

6. Pancreatic Cancer in Women (United States)

In a study which followed almost 90,000 US women participating in the Nurse's Health Study for a period of 18 years, it was found that women with a high glycemic load intake had a 53% higher risk of getting pancreatic cancer. A similar increase in risk, 57%, was observed for fructose intake.

Further, the study also found that women who were heavy and with low levels of physical activity experienced greatly enhanced risk. Women in this group with high glycemic load had 2.67 times the risk of their counterparts with low glycemic load intake!

7. Pancreatic Cancer in Men and Women (Sweden)

A study carried out by Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden and Central Hospital in Västerås, Sweden followed almost 78,000 Swedish men and women with no previous diagnosis of cancer or history of diabetes for a mean period of more than 7 years. The subjects were aged from 45 to 83 years.

The study found that consuming added sugar, soft drinks, sweetened fruit soups or stewed fruit increased the risk of pancreatic cancer.

Those who ate the most sugar had a 69% higher risk compared with those who ate the least sugar. The corresponding higher risk for soft drinks was 93%, while for sweetened fruit soups or stewed fruit it was 51%.

The study concluded that "high consumption of sugar and high-sugar foods may be associated with a greater risk of pancreatic cancer".

8. Prostate Cancer in Men (Italy)

An Italian study examined the habits of men aged 46 to 74 who had prostate cancer and compared their dietary choices to similar men who did not contract the disease. The study found that those men whose diets were more likely to increase blood sugar levels had a 57% higher risk of getting prostate cancer.

9. All Cancers in Men and Women (Korea)

A large study carried out by Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Yonsei University in Seoul, Korea tracked almost 1.3 million Korean men and women, aged between 30 and 95 years, for a period of 10 years.

The study found that those with the highest fasting glucose levels were more likely to die from all types of cancer combined. For the men, the strongest link was found for pancreatic cancer, while significant links were also reported for oesophagus, liver and colorectal cancers. For the women, the strongest associations were for liver and cervical cancers.

10. Various Cancers in Men and Women (Sweden)

A study carried out at Umea University Hospital in Sweden looked at almost 65,000 people in northern Sweden for a mean period of 8 years.

The study found that women with the highest blood sugar levels had a higher risk of getting cancer before the end of the study period. This group of women also had higher risk of endometrial cancer, while those below 49 years of age had higher risk of breast cancer. In addition, both men and women who had the highest levels of blood sugar had higher risks of pancreatic cancer, urinary tract cancer, as well as malignant melanoma.

These results led Par Stattin, MD, PhD, part of the study team, to state that keeping blood sugar levels within the normal range "may reduce cancer risk".

Quote Risker
    I'd take everything from natural news with a pinch of salt (or sugar). A quick google search for sugar and cancer shows that that article is telling far from the whole story.
    I think they focus on presenting stuff that others typically ignore, and not to present 'the whole story'. Almost no studies do that. And - the information they present isn't from Natural News, it's mentioned there, but I wish they had provided clickable links to their sources, because especially athe reference to "an Italian study" provides too little material to use Google to find their sources.

I have seen some cases on Natural News where much less background info is mentioned than in this article, which doesn't make sense, sinc they want to present facts and not only opinions...

Regarding taking things with pinches of salt - I'm more skeptical to media and 'experts' that accept eg. humans current food habits blindly, and fail to try to see things from another perspective. If there are several studies showing associations between eg. cancer and sugar intake, laymen/people deserve to hear about this, but almost all 'regular' media (like TV, radio, most magazines/newspapers/most relevant internet sites) don't mention stuff like this, or if they do, they don't do it often. Many of them may not even afford it, because too much focus on such issues possibly could mean a risk of getting pressure from advertisers.

In lots of cases, it doesn't take that many seconds to Google the info in statements like those in that article. I just checked a phrase from #1. above, and found eg this link:

https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/a.../t-199887.html

At the bottom of that page, more detailed sources are listed:
    SOURCES: Higgenbotham, S, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Feb. 4, 2004; vol 96: pp 229-233. Terry, P. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, June 18, 2003; vol 95: pp 914-916. Simin Liu, MD, ScD, director, nutrition research, Brigham and Women's Hospital; assistant professor, epidemiology; assistant professor, medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston. Marji McCullough, ScD, RD, nutritional epidemiologist; senior researcher, American Cancer Society, Atlanta. Paul Terry, PhD, research fellow, epidemiology branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, N.C.
    Now, someone could of course state that they don't trust lowcarbfriends.com much either, but the info isn't from lowcarbfriends.com - it's just referred to at their site...

There are some books out there about the negative side effects of sugar. If the people behind Natural News have found their source material from books, and not from internet sites, posting those clickable links to sources I prefer to see would take a lot more time. After all, maybe a concept of rather presenting more material (with studies mentioned, even if specific links are missing) instead of presenting a lot less stuff isn't such a bad idea, since it is often relatively easy to use google to find their sources - for those of us who want to check how reliable the background material is. They may have limited capacity, and maybe they also want to make the stuff more readable for non-professionals...

Personally, I'd definitely wish that they could both present easy-to-read articles and list their sources properly, especially since almost everybody are a little biased, and sometimes make up 'truths' based on a mix of actual facts and 'wishful thinking' in that they mix actual info from studies with own assumptions about what the reasons for a given problem is. Again; in many cases - this may unfortunately happen in the actual studies (that are used as sources) as well.
    Last edited by Korn; Nov 18th, 2008 at 06:15 AM.

I think that sugar does pose an increased health risk when consumed in large quantities, however these studies are "risks that may be associated with" in that it might not be the high GI foods themselves on the basis that they are high GI but that other factors that to which people who typically would consume these might be prone, eg other additives in soft drinks, obesity related issues, etc etc.
    Pancreatic cancer however I would certainly agree that eating a lot of sugar will increase your risk of this given what the pancreas does.
    But I don't think it's worth cutting sugar out of my diet altogether, just in moderation, a teaspoon in a cup of tea, the odd bar of cocolate, the occasional cake is not likely to do any harm and certainly not on the same scale as eating a snickers cake (thank Antony Worral Thompson for inventing that 2000 calorie a slice cake that he said would be great for kids parties!) or eating several bars of chocolate a day, and sugary fizzy drinks etc etc would.
    Last edited by bradders; Jan 23rd, 2010 at 10:55 AM.

I'm really proud, I have pretty much given up sugar and caffine. Caffine was a conscious choice as I always develop a dependance over the summer exam period and then kicki it over the summer, but I have been addicted to sugar and even worse artificial sweetners for years. As I have started eating more raw food, and since going vegan I have noticed my craving for sweet things dropping off. I get all the sugar I crave from fruit, which isn't better sugar but is better food and I eat less of it because I'm not 'craving'. With giving up caffine I also gave up standard tea (which I am now allowing back into my diet in little bits) and switched to naturally sweeter fruit teas. now I just couldnt imagine adding that chemilcal crap to my lovely teas!!!

A little pre-vegan anecdote. i went to india a couple of years ago, and so spent a month really eating pretty purely, I obviously got a pretty bad stomach bug (typical!) and so could only stomach really simple foods. well when I was well again and on a nightmareish 24hr journey, my companion bought us all a twix each which we were mega happy and excited about. we all ate them and proceeded to get horrible sugar headaches for the rest of the journey! That opened my eyes!

Default Sugar - The silent killer

In doing some research into protein intake I came across an article about how sugar attaches to protein rendering it less effective in our bodies. So I started looking at how much sugar I eat. And guess what, I eat loads without even realising it.

Read this article on what sugar is doing to us, especially the second section.

http://www.communicationagents.com/c...ugar_kills.htm

And here is another.

http://subtlethings.com/sugar-destroys-health.htm

They say there is a link to premature ageing too. That's definitely a great reason to reduce my intake.
    Last edited by Korn; Jan 23rd, 2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    The value of a sentient life is not measured in its utility to others, but in its immense, irreplaceable value to the being whose life it is.

Is raw sugar okay?

Since I switched from white to raw sugar about a year ago, I don't find myself going off to the sugar jar and dabbing my finger in? Is raw sugar less addictive?

Ok I don't know If anyone ever heard of this but I drink 4C Green tea and like it has sugar in it 6 grams or 7 and it's like I love this tea alot I've heard nothing but good things about it what do you all think is it good for me to keep drinking this?

as it's less than two teaspoons of sugar (vs 8 in a glass of coke) it's not too bad and sugar is fine in moderation.

Raw sugar may be preferable to more refined sugar (even 'unrefined raw cane sugar is actually refined to a degree), certainly as it has more of a taste to it one can get more of a sugary taste than with a heavily refined white beet sugar, that said it is never a good sign if one is dipping their finger in the sugar tin and it should be consumed in moderation. A few teaspoons a day is highly unlikely to cause harm, having the c. 50 teaspoons of sugar that a person who drinks large amounts of fizzy drinks and sweetened warm drinks as well as eats an average amount of sweets will have, will be far more likely to suffer sugar control problems, pancreatic problems, eyesight difficulties, obesity, diabetes....
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I see thanks and actually I don't really have sugar in anything else I normally only eat veggies,asian noodles,rice,lentils,leeks..lots of soups and veggies the only thing I eat that can even be considered a sweet is dark chocolate once in a great while and I barley eat much of that either,so all in all the most sugar in anything would be that canister of tea.Plus I tend to avoid sugar because my mother had diabetis and it ran on her side of the family.

you should be fine then (if the soups are pre-made you should check the ingredients though as you may find there is a surprising amount of sugar in them)
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.