Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Bread Making / Recipe Thread

Default Re: Buying bread shouldn't be this hard

I guess there are recipes on the flour or with the bread machine about how to make vegan bread?
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

There is, but ignore it because it will probably tell you to put milk powder in.

All you need are flour, salt, yeast, water and oil. You can use the bread machine recipe book as a guide to quantities but I wouldn't trust the more elaborate recipes. My machine booklet advises putting chopped ham in :bleugh!:

i do always love homemade more than store-bought, even bakery bought, i guess i'm just overly lazy, lol
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote moochbabe
    i do always love homemade more than store-bought, even bakery bought, i guess i'm just overly lazy, lol
    Trust me, I'm usually "lazy" too. I try to cook one pot meals and even if something calls for "minced," I just chop it over the pot and throw it in. But the bread maker with a mix made for it is EASY--if not quick. I just put in the ingredients--liquid, bread mix, yeast on top--and started it up. Just had to scrape the sides once when it beeped, then the bread maker did everything else until I took the bread out and let it cool
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

sounds absolutely divine!! i want to try my hand at old-fashioned bread making sometime, i think it would be a nice time on a rainy sunday...i also want to try making pita but can't find a recipe, i'm thinking of just using a little yeast, water and flour and mixing it until it seems right, kind of a trial and error, unless anyone has a recipe for pita?
    Peace Love Surf.

Default Re: Bread & baking

I'm having a bit of a problem baking bread. I made some banana bread the other day (Foxytina's recipe ) but I had to take it out of the oven after 40 minutes because the top was on the verge of burning. The middle was still gooey banana mush so I couldn't eat it. Does anyone know how you can bake stuff for an hour but avoid burning the top of the loaf. Could I cover it with a thin layer of oil, or something?

Just cover the top loosely with some foil or baking parchment if the cake starts to brown before it's cooked.

coconut, try turning the tempurature down to 325 degrees and bake it for about 50 minutes. i read some people say that 350 degrees was too hot and burned it, next time i make it i will try baking it at 325 instead.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default The Bread Making/Recipe Thread

Has anyone got an easy reciepe for Vegan Wheat Free Flat Bread Please ?
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

VeganLiz

Default The Bread Making/Recipe Thread

I need to make some yeast free bread. i have already got some gluten free flour which is meant for baking but need a recipe which is yeast free. My Mum suggested baking soda as a substitute.

Anyone got any recipes or advice?

Thanks...

VeganLiz

Default Re: Yeast free bread?

help - my bread went all wrong - i used gluten free flour, water, 1 tbsp of baking powder and i tbsp of olive oil. Cooked at 200 (it was meant to be for 35 mins but I did it for one hour). It was cooked on the outside but all gooey inside still.

Anyone done gluten wheat and yeast free bread? Any ideas what went wrong?

Help...

Liz X

Default The Bread Thread

Hey everyone! So I just got a grain mill which is my new best friend because it allows me to turn just about any grain I want into flour, and now I want to start making my own BREAD.

However, I'm having a hard time finding good recipe sites that have good vegan bread recipes. Plain wholewheat is too boring, im talking oats, flax, seeds, buckwheat, rye, millet, whatever! I just wants good healthy grainy/seedy bread but I can't find much guidance...

Also, if the recipes are NOT for bread machines that would be a plus, because I don't have one, although my mom has one she doesn't use much anymore so maybe I can borrow it. Thanks for your help!

Laura

Default Re: Homemade bread... Mmmmmm

I forgot to ask... just in case I can't aquire a bread machine. Does anyone know how to "convert" bread machine recipes into normal bread making recipes?

I'll have to look up my recipe for brown rice bread for you. In the meantime I found this site that talks about converting recipes:

http://www.ochef.com/623.htm

Hi Laura.
    Rather late reply, but better late than never...
    I bake my own bread, about twice a week. It's a real good idea, if you like cooking, and have the time (it's actually quick, when you get into the habit). Fresh, homemade bread is undoubtedly the best!! I love to serve it warm, when I cook dinner. And the smell in the house is just wonderful...

I get most of my recipes from:

VegWeb, breads section

King Arthur Flour, recipe section - over 1.200 recipes

Cooks.com, bread section - just use vegan ingredients

Home Baking Association, recipes section

That should get you started

Quote Jane M
    I'll have to look up my recipe for brown rice bread for you. In the meantime I found this site that talks about converting recipes:

http://www.ochef.com/623.htm
    I'd love a brown rice bread recipe. It is so expensive if I buy it from health food stores.

FR

When I bake bread, all I use is flour, a few herbs, and yeast. I shape the dough into round buns, then bake.

I failed miserably the last few times I tried to make bread, I'd love a bread machine.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

tabitha

Ive got a bread machine. It is really good. Worth getting and quite fun to watch. Trouble is I can quite happily sit there and eat the whole loaf. My husband looks at me and says "Would you like bread with your marg" because I put it on about an inch thick.

Default Re: The Bread Thread

Its not that I dont like making it, its just that Im a really crap cook. If the bread machine does it for me I feel like Ive done it myself somehow (its a "me" thing Scandina).
    Hehe, ok tabitha

I loooove to cook You'll get better, if you keep trying

Tigerlily - how's the "bread-situation" in Canada?

Most breads have additives which may or may not be vegan. I buy Ezekiel sprouted grain bread ($$$$) or some 'homestyle' whole wheat bread which doesn't had additives. I also eat a lot of pita bread.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote ScandinaVegan
    I don't get the whole bread machine thing... I love to make it with my own two hands. It's also very stress relieving to knead the dough
    If you don't like making it, why not just buy it?

Was it just the shops I went to, when I was in York, or doesn't the UK shops have good bread? All I could find was toast/white bread...
    All the packaged bread in the UK is pretty bad and the bread from bakeries or the bakeries in supermarkets they don't have to put ingredients on.

that really bugs me risker - i like to see whats in my food thanks. its like 'its made in-house and its a little cheaper so you'll eat what we choose to put in it'!

Default Re: The Bread Making/Recipe Thread

I just did an online asda order and with the aid of their vegan list I bought just about every bread product I could, Cakes, french bread, crumpets, pitta, fajita, scones... You name it, I bought it.

Having not had any bread for a long time and craving it made me go a bit too far though, I couldn't fit it all in the freezer so now I'm having to live off frozen food in order to clear enough space for it all.

Default Re: The Bread Making/Recipe Thread

There are a lot of bread recipes on Bryanna Clarks site.

http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/579094.htm

as I avoid owning up to maybe having lost my brown rice bread recipe....

boom

Default bread

first i wanted to say thanks to everyone with the help i got with the veagn questions i ahd so far, anyway,is home made bread ok for vegans? cause i was gonna make some home made bread today but i was looken at this bag of flour and it had these ingredents listed and i was wounder maybe i should check it out first,since i'm still new at this vegan thing,so is home made bread ok for vegans?or are there certain types of flour i should watch out for

Default Re: bread

Hey,

All flours, to my knowledge, in their pure form are Vegan. They all come from grains, wheat, oats, kamut, spelt, quinoa, rice, soy, etc.

Just about any receipe can be tweeked and made Vegan. Olive oil (or whatever oil u prefer) instead of butter. Soy, rice, grain/nut milk instead of dairy.

Unless the bag says so, the flour should be vegan. Some contain traces of milk and eggs. They normaly say so cause of allergies.

GL ;D
    "Stand your ground this is what we are fighting for.." -VNV

Default Re: bread

The Blue Princess answered your question well, but I wanted to reminisce the immortal words of Beavis- "Bread is cool".

Default Making your own Bread

After reading this article http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/s...ectid=10466880
    I am inspired to start making my own bread, I have never made my own bread before but can see so many benefits vegan, organic, wheat free, unprocessed grains and at last I will be able to eat fruit bread again as all the fruit breads I have looked at contain milk solids and or honey.

I am thinking of investing in a quality bread-maker as my baking skills are lacking.

Default Re: Making your own Bread

We have a bread machine but also make Irish soda bread as it's quick and easy and doesn't involve leaving in airing cupboards to rise! Trouble is homemade bread is so nice a loaf is gone in 5 minutes
    Silent but deadly :p

I use a bread machine very often and really like it. I like to grind up flax seed to make a granary loaf extra nutritious. I like to make malt loaf too with dates in, that's very easy to do and you don't need the machine. Yum...might go and make some now ;-)

I like adding nuts or seeds - especially hemp seeds - to quick breads, whether or not they call for it. I'm sure this would work with rising breads too.

i read the title as making your own bed.

wich i could probably use some advice on...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote jjdaiquiri View Post
    i read the title as making your own bed.

wich i could probably use some advice on...

I have a bread maker, but I have never used it. All the recipes I've seen have milk in. Anyone got any good breadmaker recipes?
    Also pumpkin seed bread...what the hell do you do with it?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

pathologist

Well - I do all my own bread - even without a bread maker it just takes a few minutes each day - because all the work is done by the dough! I have also used a bread-maker - and it makes less mess - but i don't find it any easier really - as you are left with an odd shaped tin to clean at the end. I am surprised that there are some makers that recommend milk as the liquid- it really is not necessary - bread is just flour water and yeast really - all the additions like fat of various types, seeds and fruit are not strictly necessary but just there fore personal taste and extra nutrition etc. I suppose that doughs with fruit in are often richer - so tend to have butter, egg etc in most recipes - but I'm sure it is not needed. I just experiment. I love soda bread also and as Hemlock says - that is even easier!

Emzy,
    I have used powdered almond milk for bread machine recipes and it has worked really well. Mostly I just use flour, water, salt and yeast. I did get some powdered soya milk to try but haven't got round to it yet.

Smile Re: Making your own Bread

My fiancée and I never buy bread from the store. I enjoy baking (in fact, some loafs are cooling right now), and she enjoys my bread so why would we spend a lot of money on something that doesn't taste half as good as what you can make yourself?

I don't use a bread maker -- they look really weird to me. We do, however, have a wonderful Bosch MUM7200 that I use. It's paid for itself many times over by now. Especially since I use the blender to make soy and oat milk as well.

I would suggest that you find some recipes that you like, and that you start experimenting as soon as possible. Go nuts -- it's your bread, and you can make it any way you like it. I never use recipes anymore, simply because I like to try new things and because it's so much fun to have something new every time.

As for tips: if you make your own soy milk, use the soy bean pulp (Okara) in your bread! Incredibly healthy, and the bread will keep you full for a long time. In fact, chickpeas work very well too -- prepare them as if you were making hummus (go ahead and make it runny, of course), and you can easily sneak more wonderful beans into your diet.

[All my edits are language related, sorry about that!]

You don't need milk powder (or a vegan alternative), I believe it changes the texture, or is meant to make it last longer, or give a better crust, or something. I never bother. I also don't let my breadmaker go all the way (I'm saving myself until we're married ) but just put it on the dough cycle and make rolls or hot cross buns or what-have-you with the dough.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I recently broke out the bread machine and man do I love making bread. I get so creative and start throwing in all sorts of stuff. Yesterday I made some wheat zucchini bread. Oooo I spread some almond butter and plum jam on it and let me say YUM LOL.

Here is a site with some bread machine recipes (some marked vegan) for anyone interested:

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/breads-machine/

I haven't really tried any of these cause like I said I got caught up in my own creativity.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

More posts about making your own bread can be found in 'The Bread Making/Recipe Thread' amongst other threads.

Default Baking bread question

Hi, I have a recipe that I use all the time for sun dried tomato and olive bread. My question is can I swap out half of the AP flour for WW flour or will I have to change the amount of liquid used? I really love this bread but I really think I should add some fibre to it to make it a bit healthier.

Thanks in advance,
    Jaime the long-time cook but new baker

Default Re: Baking bread question

I tend to use whole wheat flour for anything that calls for flour and I've found that the liquid content remains pretty much the same (I like to make foccacia bread, which I'm assuming is somewhat like yr sun dried tomato and olive bread...)

heat13

Quote Jamila View Post
    I recently broke out the bread machine and man do I love making bread. I get so creative and start throwing in all sorts of stuff. Yesterday I made some wheat zucchini bread. Oooo I spread some almond butter and plum jam on it and let me say YUM LOL.

Here is a site with some bread machine recipes (some marked vegan) for anyone interested:

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/breads-machine/

I haven't really tried any of these cause like I said I got caught up in my own creativity.

Thanks so much for the recipes! I was into making my own bread a few years ago (before I was vegan) but kind of lost the habit. Now I am getting back into it and need some good vegan-licous recipes. I will try some from that website to get me started and them tinker with them to my liking. I will post any good ones

For a while after going vegan I started making my own bread, and it usually came out utterly vile. Seriously, I could have built a house with it. I started making jokes about my famous dwarf bread (apologies for the somewhat obscure Discworld reference). But every now and then I'd pop out a loaf that was absolutely perfect, so I kept at it for a while. I haven't done it for a long time now, but I bet I can find the recipe if I poke around my dad's kitchen a bit. It was really simple, just flour, water, baking soda, and... soymilk, I think. It probably just needed some gluten added to enfluffen it. Maybe I should try again.

PS. My passive-aggressive prick of a dad offered me my mom's old bread machine after she died. I turned it down and took the offer as a challenge.

PPS. Yes, "enfluffen" is a word. It means "to make fluffier." If you don't believe me, good, because I'm full of shit.

i make bread all the time infact i have to make some more today.
    our bread maker is a tall pot thing so we have nice big bread slices.
    just have to learn how to cut it better but im gettin there..
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

i ended up making some bread today
    and burnt my hand on the handle
    so make sure to use and oven mitt and not a tea towel becuase they move and u get burnt and it sucks
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

i just made some rolls today, 4 with nigella seeds on and 4 with dried herbs on - now i've got a 1/2 & 1/2 loaf mixing up too. we used to waste a lot of bread when we bought it but it all goes now we make it

Default The Bread Thread

I'm having a really hard time finding commercially sold bread that I like here (they just love to sneak milk into it, or LARD )

So I've decided to start making my own and was wondering if anyone had any recipes they'd be willing to share. Strictly wholewheat, and the more seeds and stuff in there, the better! Also recipes for fruit loaves would be good (ones with raisins, dates or whatever).

Please no bread machine recipes - we do have one but we've never been able to get strong bread flour here and the results have always been terrible!

Thanks.