Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EASY "Hummus" !!!!

Lightbulb EASY "Hummus" !!!!

We discussed earlier how it is hard to get hummus to come out tasting like store bought:

While this is not hummus, it is very tasty and has Lots of possibilities.

1 can chickpeas or cooked equivelant
    1/2 cup salad dressing
    Or
    1/4 cup marinade and 1/4 cup oil

Puree in food processor and you have a sandwich filling in whatever flavor you want! I have been eating them for 2 days now, with whole wheat bread, tomatoes, lettuce and cracked pepper.

Flippin' delicous

feral

Default Re: EASY "Hummus" !!!!

I was wondering how hummus with pineapple on crackers would be like, might make some, leaving out the garlic.

Quote Haniska
    store bought:
    But homemade hummus is great stuff. Why would you want it to taste store bought?!

Having said that I like the texture of the bought stuff and think that if you put a tablespoon of olive oil in it and blitz it like crazy in a food mixer that it goes really smooth and a bit 'fluffy'.

VeganJohn

When making hummus at home, I think adding peppers makes a whole world of difference, mmmmm!!

Yeh - good idea. I like sundried tomatoes too

Can someone post a basic hummus recipe? I've never made my own, and I love hummus.

Cheers,
    rant

I'd like to make my own but I find it a pain to clean out the food processor afterwards, I think I'm going to have to buy one thats dishwasher friendly or get a small one like they use on ready steady cook.

Off topic but I hate my food processor, I made watercress soup for dinner the other day and I'd just finished liquidising it, so I went to take the container from off of the machine (you do this by turning it anti-clockwise) unfortunately to detach the blade part from the container you also turn it anti-clockwise... Goodbye soup, hello bright green goo all over the worktop! It took me over half an hour to clean and got all inside the food processor, which unfortunately still works after I washed it out.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lol Obviously not *really* funny but you have to laugh, right?

I have a small one that fixes onto my little hand held choppy thing (I'm so articulate!). It also has a choppy blade thing (there I go again) and a whisk.
    It's great for hummus and pesto when you can't be bothered to clean out the food processor.

Quote Cherry
    But homemade hummus is great stuff. Why would you want it to taste store bought?!

Having said that I like the texture of the bought stuff and think that if you put a tablespoon of olive oil in it and blitz it like crazy in a food mixer that it goes really smooth and a bit 'fluffy'.
    I can't get my homemade hummus to come out right. But it is possible that I simply haven't been able to bring myself to put as much salt and oil in as the recipe calls for. I'm not totally sure that this is the case though, I'll have to watch myself the next time I make real hummus.

My mom never uses oil and it turns out great! I think it all depends on the quality of the food processor.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

lol Obviously not *really* funny but you have to laugh, right?

I have a small one that fixes onto my little hand held choppy thing (I'm so articulate!). It also has a choppy blade thing (there I go again) and a whisk.
    It's great for hummus and pesto when you can't be bothered to clean out the food processor.
    At the time I didn't know what else to do so I just ended up laughing manically about the whole situation, cleaning it up really wasn't fun though, I couldn't believe how messy and gloopy it was. I was slightly fortunate in that I managed to save just enough for dinner, none left over for lunch though.

A hand held choppy thing is exactly what I was thinking of, is it like the ones on ready steady cook?

I'm not sure It's a braun vario.

Here's a link

It's a bit like a very primitive one of those I make hummus in the attachment on the far right.

I don't always use oil in my hummus btw, but it does go more like 'store bought' when I do.

Quote Cherry

I like my home made one and as I use dried cooked chick peas it is a lot cheaper to make and I don't go regularly to a shop which sells hummus anyway so I would run out if I had to rely on factory made hummus.
    My recipe goes like this:
    Soak dried chick peas for 2 days, changing the water twice daily.
    You can then drain them and freeze for later if you want. Taken out the freezer or soaking dish and boiled for at least 10 minutes then drain and cool. Put in blender. Add large spoonful tahini, 1 teaspoon salt, a large dollop of your preferred oil, juice of 1 lemon, 1 clove garlic or some garlic pickle and about a cup of water.
    Blend in the blender. As soon as it stops mixing take the lid off and add water and mix through. Keep adding water (and a little more oil if you wish), stir through, and then blending again until hummus reaches the consistency you desire.
    Last time I made it I tried adding a half tsp turmeric, it was nice.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

The whole concept of buying hummus is just beyond me. I find it really amusing that people actually buy hummus when it's insanely easy to make at home. But then again, I'm Middle Eastern, I grew up eating this stuff homemade.

tigerlily, you should share your moms hummus recipe
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I have no idea what the exact measurements are. It's just tahini and chickpeas with lemon juice. She doesn't add garlic to it at all, as it's not traditional to add garlic where she's from.

And she adds olive oil to it after she's done making it. Sort of like a garnish.

Thanks for the recipe, Cherry.

Cheers,
    rant

Smile Re: EASY "Hummus" !!!!

[quote=herbwormwood]I like my home made one and as I use dried cooked chick peas it is a lot cheaper to make and I don't go regularly to a shop which sells hummus anyway so I would run out if I had to rely on factory made hummus.
    You can then drain them and freeze for later if you want. Taken out the freezer or soaking dish and boiled for at least 10 minutes then drain and cool. quote]

Hi,

Wow, am I to assume that you are using sprouted chickpeas? I have some draining in my sink right now! You really only have to cook them ten minutes?

I thought you had to cook them for about an hour to prevent horrid-gut-pain-hospital-incedent-itis ! Like with Kidney beans.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Or are the "dried cooked" ones mentioned different from your normal dried ones ? I've always assumed there was only one type, and the ones I have say boil for 1 hr.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote Cumin

I thought you had to cook them for about an hour to prevent horrid-gut-pain-hospital-incedent-itis ! Like with Kidney beans.

LOL! Kidney beans might be a different story as they are notoriously poisonous.

Oh dear, I like uncooked kidney beans. After they been soaking for a couple of hours, I like to eat kidney beans. Oops, giess I won't anymore.

i used to do the same thing tigerlily...until they told me they are toxic
    i think it's different with chickpeas though.
    Piggy

Perhaps the answer lies in what herbwormwood said:
    Quote herbwormwood
    ... I use dried cooked chick peas....
    As I said before, maybe there are 2 different types of dried chick peas. The dried raw, and the dried cooked. Is there anyone that can enlighten us here?

Quote Tigerlily
    Oh dear, I like uncooked kidney beans.
    Could explain a lot
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey! What does that mean?

Default not EASY "Hummus"

easy hummous is not worth eating; the extra effort pays off IMO. Start with good quality beans and treat them right...

long soaked chickpeas (also toxic) slowwww simmered in non-acidic water (may need a bit of bicarbonate of soda) til tender: mushes completely on roof of mouth using only tongue. Cooking water thrown out, each skin removed and then add in the garlic which has been crushed to a puree with the salt, squeeze of lemon (store-bought uses citric acid crystals) and plenty of elbow grease til mix is smooth. Next stir in the pre-thinned tahina (water/tahina to pancake batter consistency). If necessary can be sieved. Dollop spread out on a saucer; I like the olive oil on top too.
    No processor means not 'fluffy'. Like I remember it from Egypt aqnd Israel.

But then again maybe there's a reason I haven't made any in 2 years ?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Yeah, my mom is from Israel and our hummous isn't fluffy or anything.

veggiesosage

Default Re: not EASY "Hummus"

Quote pat sommer
    each skin removed
    I'm sorry? Are you serious, you actually remove each and every chick pea's skin by hand?

tabitha

Quote veggiesosage
    I'm sorry? Are you serious, you actually remove each and every chick pea's skin by hand?
    Gosh! I hope you only want a small portion!

Wow,

I even quoted the word "cooked" and still missed it :-P

Quote pat sommer
    ... each skin removed ...
    I had heard you should do that too, so I tried it with my last lot. After about ten minutes of fiddling about with my hands, and with a scoop (the skins are supposed to rise to the top of the water), I think I had done about half so I gave up. It did reduce the starchy-ness of the hummus though. More creamy, but less thick. Probably worth it if you can be bothered.

Quote Cumin
    I had heard you should do that too, so I tried it with my last lot. After about ten minutes of fiddling about with my hands, and with a scoop (the skins are supposed to rise to the top of the water), I think I had done about half so I gave up. It did reduce the starchy-ness of the hummus though. More creamy, but less thick. Probably worth it if you can be bothered.
    i don't have much to do these days - i think i'll try peeling - my hummus is always too thick . . .
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Quote pat sommer
    easy hummous is not worth eating;

I felt like that was a bit of a mean comment. Did you try it?

Default Re: EASY "Hummus"

Ya, I'm a stinker.... had such good middle-eastern that I can't compromise.
    The peeling gets quicker each time as the hands pick up the feel... more like tickling skins off. The bicarb is a real cheat as it softens the skins to leave no resistance. Sure it robs vitamins if overused.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

[QUOTE=Haniska]
    Quote herbwormwood
    I like my home made one and as I use dried cooked chick peas it is a lot cheaper to make and I don't go regularly to a shop which sells hummus anyway so I would run out if I had to rely on factory made hummus.
    You can then drain them and freeze for later if you want. Taken out the freezer or soaking dish and boiled for at least 10 minutes then drain and cool. quote]

Hi,

Wow, am I to assume that you are using sprouted chickpeas? I have some draining in my sink right now! You really only have to cook them ten minutes?

I cook them at least 10 minutes. 10 minutes is enough if they have been soaked 2 days with water changes twice daily. After all if you are putting them in the blender they are going to go to mush.
    The advantage of putting them in the freezer is convenience. Sometimes I soak them 2 days then something comes up and I don't have time or energy to make the hummus dip, and if I freeze them... they are on hand for when I am more in the mood for making hummus. Also they cook faster when they have been frozen.
    I have actually used completely raw uncooked sprouted chick peas too. Soak them for 2 days and then put them in a sprouter for another day or 2 until they grow a little tail. Then use as normal in the recipe. I didn't like it much but my neighbour finished it off.

Quote Cumin

Kidney beans can contain alfaltoxins, and I have never heard of these being in chick peas. Also I was taught kidney beans should be boiled for 10 minutes to kill the toxins.

Quote Cumin
    Perhaps the answer lies in what herbwormwood said:

As I said before, maybe there are 2 different types of dried chick peas. The dried raw, and the dried cooked. Is there anyone that can enlighten us here?
    Hello, sorry hummus lovers,
    by dried cooked chick peas I meant you buy dried chick peas, soak them 2 days with water changes until they swell up to about twice their size and then cook them. To cook them put them in a pan of boiling water, boil for at least 10 minutes and then cool. They can also be microwaved on high in a microwaveable dish full of water but you have to put it on for 10 minutes too.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've got some on the soak now, and I'm planning to play with them tomorrow to see what I can concoct.

I just made hummus for the first time, and it tasted SO strongly of tahini. I followed the recipe almost exactly (except that I used black beans and chick peas), but it tasted off. Any suggestions? I love store-bought hummus. I'm thinking of adding peppers, like someone mentioned.

I usually just use Chick peas, garlic and olive oil.

If I've got some lying about then I might put lemon juice or black olives in it.

Sometimes I don't use garlic, I might use salt sometimes also.

What recipe did you use?

tabitha

I still prefer shop bought hummous to the muck I make. Mind you the other day I got tempted by a big tub of "luxury hummous". It looked delicious and I was taken in by the fancy packaging.....it was absolutely revolting, so Im now back to my lemon and coriander Somerfields special hummous (drools). I will be buried with that stuff.

I add a pinch of cumin to my hummus.

I've just realised that I was in fact lying, I actually make mine by going to supermarkets and exchanging small metal discs for plastic tubs full of it.

feral

I bought tesco's caramalised onion hummus today, haven't tried it yet but their plain and organic hummus are delicious. Can you actually become addicted to hummus? I think I am!

sugarmouse

LOl @tigerlily and piggy i guess they cant be that toxic if yur stil alive.lol

I am glad at the recipe tigerlily put-i love hummous but when i eat something with even a minimal amout of garlic in it lingers on me for days! i dont like it..so i am now going to try makin it without garlic.

I buy store bought hummus ALL the time....I feel like a bad vegan **hides face in shame**.

Sometimes I buy the Fantastic Foods mix to make instant hummus... ****pulling blanket over head*****

I need one of those choppy things that Cherry has. A long time ago I remember I tried making real hummos in my blender. It was a big production and it didnt' even taste that good

i like putting olives in my hummus.

also, when i have some around, i adore putting roasted garlic in my hummus.

we put herbamare (sp?) spicy in our last hummus instead of plain salt, and it was wonderful.
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

oh yeah, my basic hummus-- preboil chickpeas/garbanzos for 10 minutes, soak for two hours. change the water and boil, then simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

put a bunch of the cooked beans in the food processor, whizz them up, then add a bit of tahini (a large spoonful to about 2 1/2 cups of beans). add the juice of one lemon and whiz. add a bit of water to desired consitency. whizzzzzzz add a bit of salt a bit of garlic powder. whizzzzzzzzz.

check texture and taste. add flavour/liquid as needed. whizzzzzzzz.

add extras (like olives, roasted garlic, raw garlic, artichoke hearts, etc.)
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)