Thread: Vitamin B-12 in Indian conditions

Default Vitamin B-12 in Indian conditions

B-12 is found in animal foods, it is not manufactured by animal cells. It must be absorbed from their food by most animals, as it must be by humans. All Bl2 is made by bacteria. Ruminants, such as cows, do quite well, because bacteria in an accessory stomach, or rumen, produce Bl2 as they break down the fibre of the animal's food. But bacteria aren't just in cows' stomachs; they're practically everywhere. Researchers studying B12 have complained that it is necessary to carefully clean all instruments to get meaningful measurements of Bl2 -since even tap water can contain substantial amounts. ("Substantial amounts" in the sense that they can approach the range of what is needed in the human diet.) ..

So, I guess, possibly we can get particular B-12 bacterias from river water, under ground water, well water, stream water....if it is not filtered and consumed directly from its source., organic fruit/vegetable ( eaten without washing them), foods eaten without washing hands...and so on..and this kind of situation is quite normal in India.

I'm pretty relaxed now. I should give up acqua guard water, and start drinking boring water. Acquar guard kills good bacterias in the water. Boring water is safe to drink directly. And when we get chance to drink water from stream/water falls we should not avoid the opportunity.

Manish Jain

Default Re: Vitamin B-12 in Indian conditions

Read about Spirulina here--http://www.naturalways.com/spirul1.htm

Manish Jain

feral

I have to point out not all natural sources of water are safe to drink from, many can be contaminated by animal waste, rotting carcases, chemical seepage from sprayed land or dumped barrels etc.

Also organic food which has been grown in animal manure runs the risk of E coli if not washed properly, especially dangerous for children, elderly and those with a inefficient immune system.

I see. But I have got a 400 ft deep under ground broing in my apartment and there is no industry in near by area. Is it still possible contaminated water ?

Manish Jain

feral

I honestly couldn't say as I'm a wee bit too far a way to tell lol. Can you get the water tested?

Testing of water is good idea. Can we get it tasted for B-12 too ?

Manish Jain

feral

Oh I wouldn't know, it probably depends on who does the testing. Hopefully it will be suitable for drinking, having your own healthy source of drinking water would be great.

Thank you, indianvegan!
    When you wrote that all B12 is made from bacteria, this makes so much sense! it is said, that in prehistoric times, the hunters/gatherers FIRST started to culture bacteria, before even learning to grow plants... Fermentation is a process older than agriculture in our ancestors history.... a way of keeping/preserving food, but also making it more nutrutious... we have long history of eating fermented food... But sadly in modern days, we eat less of it. A dentist from the 1930s, Weston Price, saw the rapid decline of teeth health in the western word, he then travelled all over the world to study tribes who lived still in nature. He noticed they had strong, healthy teeth, even when some tribes didnt brush their teeth so well. He also notice that nutrition is the key to good teeth, blood supplies the root of the theeth whit all the nutrients. And when we say that sugar is bad for teeth, the reason (which conventional denstist will not tell you) is that a lot sugar makes a reaction in the blood that is toxic, and thus affecting the tooth FROM THE INSIDE. He noticed some basic facts about teeth health:
    -dead food, such as sugar and white flour is bad for your teeth.
    -ALL the tribes visited ate quite a lot of fermented food: veg, bread, porridge, grains, drinks. Fermenting food makes it alive with bacteria, and makes sure that bad bacteria cannot do anything.
    -Usually they had a very rich natural mineralized water source
    I think that what you say, indianvegan, about eating with your hand, drinking natural water, all makes sense. We have become too scared of getting the wrong bacteria. Use your common sense, usually we in the west are so paranoid for too many things, but sure, be still carefull, but I do believe that we in the west can learn from Indian eating habits...