Thread: Vegan in the Daily Star!

Default Vegan in the Daily Star!

A bit more lowbrow than the Indy a couple of weeks ago, but Veganism gets a positive mention in today's Daily Star!

Apparently, "Veganism is soaring in the UK, with the number of British Vegans now around a million and increasing each year", and "Vegan food added £700 million worth of sales in British supermarkets last year, with a projected growth of at least 15%"

Health benefits are then listed, as well as vegan sources of vitamins and minerals. There's also the standard list of vegan celebs, although it includes Pamela Anderson, not sure about that one, but mmmm Pammy

There's also a picture of Pete Doherty hitting a reporter with a brolly, so something for everyone.
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Default Re: Vegan in the Daily Star!

Is Pete Doherty vegan? Or did you not mean that?

I'd like to know how these figures are reached. No-one's ever asked me if I'm a vegan!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Stu

No way. There are not one million vegans in this country. That would be about one in seventy. No way.

Thanks for that, Cloudy. I must say though, how do they come up with these numbers? I wonder who they ask.

I only WISH there were a million of us. A lot of people still don't know what it is and haven't even heard of the word "vegan".

Oh, and if Pete is vegan, it begs the question, "Is heroin vegan"?

They certainly didn't do their survey in Cumbria! It must have been Bristol

Quote RedWellies
    Is Pete Doherty vegan? Or did you not mean that?
    Hehe, as far as I know he isn't, the brolly hitting pics are earlier on in the "news"paper

I doubt there are a million vegans here, but hey, it is the Daily Star, and a bit of exposure can't hurt!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Yeah, I suppose it's good enough for me if the word "vegan" is in a mainstream paper. (As long as it's not in a negative way). Vegan vegan vegan.

Quote Cloudy
    Hehe, as far as I know he isn't, the brolly hitting pics are earlier on in the "news"paper
    For those of us in the States, what's a brolly?

Cheers,
    rant

umbrella to you!

umbrella..umbrella..umbrella

what a strange word if you say it out loud many times!
    (sorry off topic )

I doubt there's a million of us, but including those who buy a significant percentage of vegan products (such as fresh soya milk) regularly I'd say there are at least.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Any publicity is good publicity, supposedly, so we must rejoice to have had a mention in that fine organ. Are you a regular reader, Cloudy?

There's also a picture of Pete Doherty hitting a reporter with a brolly, so something for everyone.
    That does it, I'm taking out a subscription too.

Edited to add is that your cat, Catalina? I want him!

talking of fine organs, did you hear the EU are banning pipe organs? About time i say, I think they should ban haircuts next.

Thanks for the info thou Cloudy, it takes balls to admit to reading papers like the star in public
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Harpy, I wish she was my cat too but it's my neighbour's cat, and I think her name is Buzzy. (The cat, not the neighbour)

A ginger girl cat - how unusual!

The EU wants to ban organ pipes with lead in them, apparently, but it is futile because, as has been pointed out, organists rarely lick their pipes. Don't let's go there.

Pipe-licking organ players, sorry, I HAVE to go there...

Yeah, I heard ginger females were genetically almost impossible. Maybe she's a he after all.

Quote catalina
    Yeah, I heard ginger females were genetically almost impossible.
    Off topic, but I had a ginger female once, as did Tabitha.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

v v off topic. So it's possible then. I once saw this kitty chart at the vet's showing all the different combinations of parentage, and how some were more rare than others in male/female, and how there's not many any that are truly 100% black, they look that way but aren't really, etc. etc

I used to think female ginger cats were biologically impossible, but just recently I've heard about several.

Still not convinced about the organists though.

Good sperm

Female ginger cats are possible, just rare. Same with male tortoiseshells. It's something to do with the ginger gene being recessive in girly cats, so they're more likely to be another colour of the gene pool than ginga.
    Have you seen the 'Fred the Bedhead' adverts on TV? He's a gorgeous fluffy ginger tom.

Kevster

Personally, i think it's great that we have people on the forum that are willing to buy newspapers like The Daily Star and scour it for vegan articles, Cloudy, i take it you've had no luck with The Sport so far? No?

Not so far, although I have high hopes I'll get some success from Razzle this year!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Last time I looked at the sunday sport, their front page was...."I was r*ped by aliens and now I'm having their baby"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Great headline. But surely it wouldn't be a baby you'd have? Perhaps it would be a half alien/half human offspring? At any rate, it's good that someone reads the Daily Star. Not everyone can/wants to read the Torygraph or such.

saucyvegan

WOW!! Today in the Daily Mail, there is an article about a new trainer shoe that helps to tone the bum and thigh area. I had a look at the website thinking, I bet they are all leather, and the 1st shoe I looked at said "suitable for vegans"!!!!

www.chung-shi.com

So they're probably like MBTs but not leather.

saucyvegan

Thats it catalina. I could never find MBT's that were vegan so im gonna get these!

Hey, so if these work out for you, could you please post your experiences in a thread about vegan products or something? Or let us know if it does, erm, firm & tone you? Or pm me? I'm really curious now because I've really wanted something like these for a long time!

saucyvegan

Yes I will do. They had a really good write up in the Mail today. One woman noticed a difference in a week and said her bottom was more defined and she had less cellulite.

Cool, more vegan publicity I was in L.A. last week and found myself in 3 magazines, all promoting the Vegan Bodybuilding lifestyle. Each magazine has about 150,000 in print per issue, so just in those 3 for this month, nearly half a million copies are out about vegan bodybuilding The magazines are Beyond Fitness, VegNews, and Vista. There have been other recent ones and more to come next month. Next month will be really good too for vegan bodybuilding exposure in magazines.

Keep on getting out there! It is great to see vegans in media!
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

sugarmouse

any puiblicity is good IMO-i am guessing maybe they got vegan and vegetarian mixed up in their definitions??

bodybuilder that also is great to hear

VeganJohn

125 smackeroonies though, yikes!

The 'suitable for vegans' only appears on the womens shoe, I take it the mens are the same??

Quote saucyvegan
    WOW!! Today in the Daily Mail, there is an article about a new trainer shoe that helps to tone the bum and thigh area. I had a look at the website thinking, I bet they are all leather, and the 1st shoe I looked at said "suitable for vegans"!!!!

www.chung-shi.com
    Sadly it appears that the men's ones aren't. I think I'll email them and ask.

£125 though. Only my brother pays that for trainers.

Quote catalina
    Thanks for that, Cloudy. I must say though, how do they come up with these numbers? I wonder who they ask.

I only WISH there were a million of us. A lot of people still don't know what it is and haven't even heard of the word "vegan".

Oh, and if Pete is vegan, it begs the question, "Is heroin vegan"?
    I met a vegan junkie once (in Tai in London of all places) so yes, it is vegan hah.

The word "vegan" was in the telegraph here as one of the people who works at the RSPCA is vegan. I've met her as well lol she was the first vegan that I know of I ever saw and knew was vegan.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote harpy
    I used to think female ginger cats were biologically impossible, but just recently I've heard about several.

Possible, just not common. Tis the same for male tortoiseshells, about 1 in 1000 chance (read that on my cat calendar)
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.