Thread: Favorite Noodle Dishes From Asian Cuisines

Default Favorite Noodle Dishes From Asian Cuisines

i have this cookbook called The Noodle Shop Cookbook that i am getting rid of because most of the recipes are meat recipes. it does, however, have a small vegetarian section in the back. i am going to post my favorites in this thread before i get rid of the book. i hope you guys find some of these delicious and useful like i do and if you want any more that i didn't post feel free to check out the book yourselves.

here is the intro to the veggie section written by the author, Jacki Passmore:
    "noodles are a useful and beneficial ingredient in the vegetarian diet. they offer a satisfying chewability and provide essential fiber and energizing carbohydrates. they can be adapted to many cooking styles and combined with all kinds of ingredients to make nourishing and delicious meals.
    soba, the buff-colored Japanese buckwheat noodles are a particular favorite among vegetarian cooks, their special nutty taste suited to hot dishes, soups, and salads. imitation "egg" noodles, made without egg, are a boon for the vegan, while rice noodles are an excellent and easily digested substitute for rice or other carbohydrates in may menu applications.
    chinese noodle makers also manufacture a limited range of wheat-starch noodles or imitation egg noodles flavored and colored with vegetable extracts. they look wonderful on the plate and have subtle and appealing flavor undertones.
    i have selecated recipes from all over asia for this collection of vegetarian noodle dishes. they encapsulate a full range of asian flavors and include several deliciously refreshing salads, which could be served as a first course or as part of a wider menu of main courses in the asian style"
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

Default Re: Favorite Noodle Dishes From Asian Cuisines

soba in broth with leeks

13 oz soba
    1 T white sesame seeds
    3 small, tender leeks (or 4 large whole scallions)

broth:
    5 c shiitake or kombu stock
    3 1/2 T dark soy sauce
    2 T sugar
    2 T mirin (sweet rice wine)
    salt

bring 1 quart of water to a boil. add the noodles, and when the water boils again, add a final cup of water. cook the noodles until al dente, about 3 minutes.
    toast the sesame seeds in a hot oven or in a dry nonstick pan over medium heat until they are aromatic, golden, and beginning to pop. remove. trim the leeks or scallions and cut into 3 inch pieces. cut in half lengthwise, then into very fine shreds.
    combine the broth ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. reduce heat to keep warm.
    bring a large pan of water to a boil. transfer the noodles to at strainer and imerse in the boiling water to reheat. drain well. divide among four warmed bowls, pour on the broth, and garnish each bowl with leeks and sesame seeds.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

cold buckwheat noodle salad

1/2 lb dried soba noodles
    2 to 3 t sesame oil
    2 whole scallions
    1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into thin strips
    1 small cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced into crescents
    2 1/2 t toasted white sesame seeds

dressing:
    1 T tamari
    1 T chinese brown rice vinegar
    1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 t sesame oil
    1 1/2 t mirin rice wine
    1 t sugar

combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl, whisking to blend well.
    bring 1 1/2 quarts of water to a boil, add the noodles, and bring to water back to a boil. add 1/2 cup of coled water and bring back to a boil, then add another 1/2 cup of cold water, bring back to a boil again, and cook 2-3 minutes. drain thoroughly. stir in 2-3 teaspoons of sesame oil and set aside.
    trim the scallions and cut both white and green parts into 1 1/2 inch pieces. cut in half lengthwise and then shred fine. combine the noodles, scallions, bell pepper, and cucumber, toss with the dressing, and serve in attractive little mounds on lacquered platters, with sesame seeds scattered on top.

I just like ramen noodles tossed with soy sauce. Mm!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

yeah, i like them with soy sauce and sesame oil cooked with a bag of frozen japanese vegetables when i am too tired to cook anything or if i want some junk food. yum! i hated ramen when i was a poor college student and couldn't afford much else. now that i am an adult with a job it's hard to stay away from the stuff!

this recipe is a good one in which to use a variety of mushrooms. include sliced straw mushrooms, wild mushrooms, fresh shiitakes, and oyster mushrooms, using with or instead of the fungus.

tibetan vegetable vermicelli

3/4 oz dried black wood ear fungus
    4 dried black mushrooms
    1/2 lb dried bean thread vermicelli
    1/4 c vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, finely sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 t minced fresh ginger
    1 T sesame oil
    1 red chili pepper, seeded and shredded
    2 to 3 c shredded nappa cabbage
    2 whole scallions, minced

sauce:
    2 1/2 T tamari soy sauce
    2 t dark soy sauce
    1 to 2 t chili oil
    1 t sugar
    1 t chinese brown vinegar
    1/2 c water

soak the black fungus and mushrooms in hot water for 25 minutes. drain. finely shred the fungus; trim the mushroom stems and shred the caps fine. soak the vermicelli for 15 minutes in warm water. combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
    heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and stir-fry the onion until it begins to soften. add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry briefly, then add the fungus, mushrooms, sesame oil, chili pepper, and cabbage. stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
    add the noodles and sauce ingredients and stir together over moderately high heat for 2-3 minutes. transfer to a plate, scatter on the scallions, and serve.

bean-thread noodles with cabbage

5 oz bean thread vermicelli
    6 oz firm tofu
    2 T vegetable oil
    1 T sesame oil
    2 t minced garlic
    1 rib celery, finely sliced diagonally
    1 medium carrot, finely sliced diagonally
    4 whole scallions, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
    3 c finely sliced napa cabbage
    2 to 3 T vegetarian fish sauce
    salt and pepper

soak the vermicelli in warm water for 15 minutes. cut the tofu into thin slices.
    heat the two types of oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. stir fry the tofu with the garlic for 2 minutes until tofu is crisp at the edges. push to the sice of the pan. add the celery and carrot and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, until they are crisp-tender. remove all.
    add the noodles, scallions, and cabbage to the wok along with the cooked ingredients. stir fry on high heat until the cabbage is tender and all ingredients are well blended. add the vege fish sauce, plus salt & pepper to taste.

bean curd skin "noodles"

2 large sheets dried bean curd skin
    six 1 1/2 inch cubes fried tofu
    6 dried black mushrooms, soaked in boiling water 20 minutes
    3 T vegetable oil
    1 1/2 t sesame oil
    2 oz sliced bamboo shoots
    8 oz fresh bean sprouts
    2 T chopped whole scallions

seasonings:
    1 t salted black beans, finely chopped
    1 T light soy sauce
    1 t rice wine or dry sherry
    1 t minced fresh ginger
    1/3 t chili oil
    salt and pepper

soak the bean curd skins in cold water to soften, about 3 minutes, then lift out carefully onto a cloth to dry. roll up and cut into narrow shreds that resemble noodles. cut the fried tofu into strips by slicing thin, then cutting the slices into strips. drain the soaked mushrooms, remove the stems, and cut the caps into narrow strips.
    heat the oils in a wok over very high heat. stir fry the fried bean curd for 2 minutes, until golden brown. add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and bean sprouts and stir fry for 1 minute. remove and set aside.
    add the bean curd "noodles" to the pan and stir fry for approximately 1 minute. return the fried ingredients and add the seasoning ingredients. stir them evenly into the dish over high heat, cooking for about 1 minute. season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving plate. garnish with scallions.

jadeite noodles

3 1/2 oz flat, white wheat-starch noodles
    3 oz flat, green-colored vegetable noodles
    1 T vegetable oil
    8 fresh asparagus spears
    2 T roasted pine nuts

jadeite dressing:
    1 t minced garlic
    1 1/2 t minced fresh ginger
    3 t vegetable oil
    1 t finely grated lime peel
    3 t each finely chopped basil, cilantro, and mint leaves, plus scallion greens
    1 1/2 T rice wine
    1 1/2 T sesame oil
    1 1/2 T vegetarian fish sauce
    2 t sugar
    1/3 t chili oil

bring 1 1/2 quarts of generously salted water to a boil, add the noodles, and cook until tender, about 4 minutes (cooking time will depend on the type of noodles used). pour into a colander to drain, sprinkle on the vegetable oil, and set aside.
    cut the hard ends off the asparagus and use a vegetable peeler to peel the lower end of each stem. place in a steamer to steam for about 4 minutes, until crisp-tender. cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
    prepare the dressing: in a small saucepan ceek the garlic and ginger in the vegetable oil for 2 minutes over medium heat, add the remaining dressing ingredients, and heat through.
    bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. place the asparagus on the noodles, pour on the hot water to reheat, drain well, and transfer to a mixing bowl. pour on the dressing and toss until well mixed. serve on warm plates and scatter on the pine nuts.

peanut sauce noodles

6 oz dried flat imitation egg noodles
    1/4 c natural crunchy peanut butter
    2 T tamari soy sauce
    1/2 c coconut milk
    2 1/2 to 3 t fresh lime juice
    2 t ground coriander
    1 to 2 t Thai red curry paste
    1 t sugar
    1/3 t salt

bring 1 1/2 quarts salted water to a boil and add the noodles. bring back to a boil, reduce heat slightly, and simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes, until the noodles are tender. drain.
    combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and cook on medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. pour over the drained noodles and stir with a pair of chopsticks until the sauce coats each strand of noodle.

variation:
    try cooking the noodles in coconut milk with a stem of lemongrass. add 1 cup of coconut milk to 1 quart of salted water, plus a fresh lemongrass stem cut in half lengthwise. boil the liquid for 12 minutes, to release the flavor of the lemongrass, before adding the noodles to cook for the usual 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.

Talking Re: Favorite Noodle Dishes From Asian Cuisines

one of my local food stores has these great japaneese noodles that are just... well... great!

i think they are pure tofu in noodle form, but you can pan fry them with a sauce or you can boil them till thier warm or you can serve them cold. they are super yummmy and make a great side to some yuumm vegan "sushi" rolls
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Ooh, I'm going to try a couple of those. They sound delicious. Mmm peanut sauce noodles.

I'm a noodle fan but now I realise I've been quite boring with them.

Quote jjdaiquiri
    one of my local food stores has these great japaneese noodles that are just... well... great!

i think they are pure tofu in noodle form, but you can pan fry them with a sauce or you can boil them till thier warm or you can serve them cold. they are super yummmy and make a great side to some yuumm vegan "sushi" rolls
    They sound like rice noodles! They are so great because you can get them in so many different widths and lengths. They go great with a peanut sauce or in a quick soup too.

udon in white miso - sesame broth

1/4 sheet nori, toasted
    8 oz udon noodles
    1/4 c hulled white sesame seeds
    1/4 c sweet or mellow miso
    3 c kombu-shiitake stock
    1/4 t sea salt
    1 T mirin
    2 t ginger juice
    slivered scallions for garnish

using scissors cut the nori into 1 inch wide strips, and then cut the strips into slivers. set aside.
    in a 4 quart pot bring 2 quarts of water to a rolling boil. add the noodles and cook until al dente. immediately drain the noodles and rinse under cold running water, or submerge in a bowl of cold water for 30 seconds or until cool. drain and set aside.
    place the sesame seeds in a dry skillet set over medium-low heat. stir constantly for about 2 minutes, or until the seeds are fragrant and just beginning to turn golden. be careful not to burn. immediately transfer the seeds to a suribachi or mortar and crush well. add the miso and 1/2 c of the stock. mix well to thoroughly dissolve the miso.
    place the sesame-miso mixture in a 2 quart pot along with the salt, mirin, ginger, and the remaining stock. bring just to a simmer and remove from the heat.
    divide the cooked noodles in individual serving bowls and add enough broth to almost cover. garnish with nori and scallions and serve.

japanese-style fried noodles

8 oz udon noodles
    3 T sweet or mellow miso
    3 T mirin
    1 T sesame oil
    2 T minced shallot or 1 T minced garlic
    slivered scallion for garnish

in a 4 quart pot bring 2 quarts of water to a rolling boil. add the noodles and cook until al dente. immediately drain the noodles and rinse under cold running water, or submerge in a bowl of cold water for 30 secdonds or until cool. drain and set aside.
    combine the miso and mirin in a small bowl. set aside.
    heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the shallot and saute for 1 minute, or until it just begins to soften. add the noodles, increase the heat to medium-high, and saute for 30 to 60 seconds.
    add the miso-mirin mixture and toss to coat the noodles evenly (if too dry, add a little water) saute 1 minute more.
    sprinkle with scallions and serve immediately.