Thread: Pupusas

Default Pupusas

Hey! I just wanted to share this recipe with everyone cause it's one of my favorites. First of all, is anyone else addicted to refried black beans? Because I am. Ever since I went to Guatemala I've been hooked and refried pinto beans will never be the same. They're awesome. Anyway, this is a traditional food made in El Salvador and we have a pupuseria in my town which got me addicted to these. In El Salvador, they eat them with all kinds of meats and cheeses inside, but they are definitely delicious when vegan. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
    • Corn flour/Masa Harina (Maseca brand, for example)
    • 1 canned refried black beans
    (The above ingredients can be found in most latino markets.)

Directions:
    Pour 2 cups of the corn flour into a mixing bowl. Slowly add water and knead with hands until a nice moist dough that’s not too sticky is formed. Adding a little vegetable oil to the mixture helps the dough to not stick to hands. Roll dough into 1 ½ inch balls. Take 2 balls; pat each out with your hands to make a tortilla the size of your palm. Place a heaping spoonful of refried black beans onto one tortilla. You may also put cheese and meat on the tortilla along with the beans. Place the other tortilla on top and seal the edges of both tortillas together to enclose the filling. Place it inside of a plastic grocery bag to keep it from sticking to anything, and press down on the pupusa with a cutting board, or other flat, heavy object. Peel flattened pupusa from the plastic bag and toss in a frying pan with a little bit of oil and cook until the pupusa is hard on both sides. These taste really yummy topped with salsa, guacamole and/or shredded cabbage.

Default Re: Pupusas

Mmm... That sounds so yummy. I'm totally addicted to refried pinto beans, but I've never tried refried black beans... I guess I'll have to go buy some.

YUM! i make a black bean soup with cornmeal dumplings that is sooooo delicious and i'll bet this has the same great combination of flavors.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

sounds good, thanks shmeee

Thumbs up Re: Pupusas

Yay, thank you! There's a place down the street from me where we used to get bean and cheese pupusas, and I have missed them since I became vegan. I didn't realise how easy they would be to make.

And, really, anything with refried beans has got to be good.

These are SO good. I made them a few weeks ago, and my omnivorous boyfriend devoured them. As did I