Thread: keeping down roo numbers

Unhappy keeping down roo numbers

The Victorian Government is being urged by the National party to approve the commercial harvesting of kangaroos, as numbers have built up rapidly in northern and central Victoria, and harvesting is needed as part of an overall management plan.

The Member for the northern state seat of Rodney, Noel Maughan, says kangaroos are damaging crops, pastures and fences and are a hazard on the roads. "There needs to be a reduction in the numbers, I'm calling for the Government to have a really good look at opening up the kangaroo harvesting industry in the same way as is done in other states," he said. ... "you can get professional shooters that will come in keeping the numbers down, it would be at no cost to government."
    Eve

Default Re: keeping down roo numbers

There needs to be a reduction in the numbers of humans. Humans are breeding out of control and continuously destroying the habitats of other living beings so they have nowhere to live in order to build houses and roads for the ever increasing human population. I wonder when the government will do something about that and whats going to happen when theres no more room for human habitat?!

"kangaroo harvesting industry"

A quote from Steve Irwin, "It's embarrassing for Australia that we eat our own wildlife...I'm here to tell you it's not right...Simply do not buy, use or eat kangaroo products".
    I recently received a pamplet from, Australian Wildlife Protection Council - 'A cherished icon on the brink', they have just launched a book, "Kangaroos Myths and Realities". You can read some of it here http://www.awpc.org.au/

veggiesosage

There's a major thing in New Zealand about culling possums. Apparently they take school parties and stuff out on possum hunting missions. They blame it for the massive reduction in ground nesting birds cos they eat the eggs and, of course, they have no 'natural' predators cos the pakeha brought them over.

Kangaroos cull set for Perth reserve - a professional shooter has been hired to cull hundreds of kangaroos at a Perth nature reserve.

Item at abc-news: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...4/s1621814.htm
    Eve

Quote veggiesosage
    There's a major thing in New Zealand about culling possums. Apparently they take school parties and stuff out on possum hunting missions. They blame it for the massive reduction in ground nesting birds cos they eat the eggs and, of course, they have no 'natural' predators cos the pakeha brought them over.
    I recently went to Daylesford in Victoria and picked up a pair of socks from a shop, they were really soft and when I looked at the label it stated that they were made from possum fur. I felt sick from then on at the thought of those gorgeous creatures being made into socks.