Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan Sheffield

Default Vegan Sheffield

Eating out in Sheffield

There are no exclusively vegan places to eat in Sheffield but there are a few veggie places and vegan friendly restaurants. some are listed below. the blue moon is my favourite place.

V = exclusively Vegetarian. Soy = soya milk available. NS = non-smoking. NSA = non-smoking area. DT = disabled toilet available.

Blue Moon Café
    2, St. James Street, Sheffield, S1 1EU. 0114 276 3443
    Mon – Sat 8am to 8pm seating 50 –60, plus 2 private dinning rooms, licensed
    V, Soy, NS, DT

Kumquat Mae
    353 Abbeydale Road, Sheffield, S7 1FS. 0114 2501076
    Wed – Sat6pm onwards – bookings only. Thurs, Fri, and Sunday from 12pm BYO wine, V, Soy, NSA

The Olive Garden
    117, Norfolk Street, Sheffield, S1 2JE. 0114 272 8886
    Mon – Sat 9-4.30
    V, Soy, NS

Airy Fairy
    239, London Road, Sheffield, S2 4NF. 0114 249 2090
    Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri 11-6, Sat 11-5, Tues 1-7
    V, Soy

The Fat Cat Pub
    23 Alma Street, Sheffield (next to Kelham Island Museum) 0114 249 4801
    Food served every day 12 – 2.30. Mon to Fri 6 – 7.30
    NSA

Sheffield Vegan group meet at the Fat Cat on the first Wednesday of each month from 7.30pm. For more information phone 0114 258 8869.
    The contact address is
    C/o R.E.C.Y.C, 54 Upperthorpe Rd, Sheffield, S6 3EB
    kath@k-clements.fsnet.co.uk

Tin Po Dragon Café (Chinese)
    199 London Road, Sheffield, S2 4LT. 0114 250 1070
    Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, 12 –10pm, wed 6 – 10pm
    BYO wine NS

The Forum
    127 – 129 Devonshire Street, Sheffield, S3 7SB. 0114 272 0569
    Food served Mon – Sat 12 – 8, snacks till late, Sunday lunchtime, licensed
    NSA in day, DT

Sheiks Lebanese, and Middle Eastern Restaurant
    274 Glossop Road, Sheffield, S10 2HS. 0114 275 0555
    Mon – Sun from 6pm. Licensed

Nirmals Indian Restaurant
    189 – 193 Glossop Road, Sheffield, S10 2GW. 0114 272 4054
    Mon – Sun, from 12 pm. Licensed

The Showroom Café/Bar
    7 paternoster Row, Sheffield, S1 2BX. 0144 249 5479
    Food served Mon – Sun 12 – 9 pm licensed
    NSA in Café, DT

The UK Mama African Restaurant
    257 Fulwood Road, Broomhill, Sheffield, S10 3BD. 0114 268 7807
    Mon – Sun 12 – 9pm
    NSA, DT

The Kashmir Curry Centre
    121 – 125 Spital Hill, Sheffield, S4 7LD. 0114 272 6253
    Mon – Sun from 5pm
    NSA
    "There is no place the moon does not shine, But it only illuminates in the heart of those who gaze at it". HONEN

Hey hey, it's Mr. Lentils! I remember you from the old veganboard!

Glad to see you're still in Sheffield!

We'll have to meet up for a light ale or two sometime.

excellent! thank you for this. the previous site was just a flier for the meeting at the fat cat pub. this must be quite new. the list of restaurants has increased too.

hiya am in sheffield aswell

As part of the Exodus New Age store and Pure Vision Foundation (which offers Meditatior, Reiki Training and complimentary therapies),a vegetarian and vegan restaurant will be opening in the new year at 85 Laughton Road, Dinnington, Sheffield, (01909 518333).

The Exodus veggie restaurant & shop has just opened at 85 Laughton Road in Dinnington near Sheffield. Anna the manager is vegan.

Open
    Mon - Sat: 9 - 5
    Sun: 10 - 4

Telephone 01909 518333 for details

The Exodus veggie restaurant & shop above is now open . The manager is vegan.

Hours:
    Mon - Sat: 9 - 5
    Sun: 10 - 4

Kevster

Looks like i may have to pop over to Sheffield Cloudius, perhaps food in Sheffield and beers in Leeds?

Quote bobster
    The Exodus veggie restaurant & shop above is now open . The manager is vegan.
    thanks for this. who will be first to post the first review?
    "There is no place the moon does not shine, But it only illuminates in the heart of those who gaze at it". HONEN

Kevster

Ey up,

Met up with the one and only Cloudius in a pleasant (unfortunatley smokey) Sam Smiths pub in Leeds, good ales and chat with the joker himself, if anyone wants details about his personal history i'm the one to PM

May well visit Sheffield sometime in the near future,

K

Quote Kevster
    Ey up,

Met up with the one and only Cloudius in a pleasant (unfortunatley smokey) Sam Smiths pub in Leeds, good ales and chat with the joker himself, if anyone wants details about his personal history i'm the one to PM

May well visit Sheffield sometime in the near future,

K
    Keep it down mosschops. Aye you're welcome to come over and give Sheffield a blast if you fancy it mate, good to meet you.
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Personal history on ole Cloudy it’s all coming out now.

went to kumquat mae on friday night with family - VERY nice
    hummous & gridldled bread to start, refried-bean stuffed peppers with vegan scheeze on top & veg & rice,, apple pie & vegan icecream..mmmmmm

take your own booze, its not licensed.

very relaxed and child-friendly.

Default My favourite pub

Not vegan related at all, but they've just got their website/forum up and running and need the word spreading about. So here it is my favouritest pub ever
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Kevster

Looks like Cloudy's local

Cant show you mine they closed it and turned into a poncy wine bar but I prefer Partys to pubs lately
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote Kevster
    Get out.......

but also

Cool

Quote Kevster
    Cheeky swine, although I have been in there once!

My local is far superior
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Quote Cloudy
    Cheeky swine, although I have been in there once!

My local is far superior
    The cheek.....and what's wrong wi t'Dove anyway???

Quote Poison Ivy
    The cheek.....and what's wrong wi t'Dove anyway???
    Hehe, actually there wasn't much wrong with it, the mate I was with quite liked the place. Just rock isn't my thing, that's all!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Quote Cloudy
    Hehe, actually there wasn't much wrong with it, the mate I was with quite liked the place. Just rock isn't my thing, that's all!
    Lol, at least it's not as 'scary' as the Wap used to be, on the odd occassion I took a non-rocker/punk type friend there they used to panic as soon as they saw the flames painted over the stairs

Ahh, memories!!!

Haha, meet you down there for lasties then?
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Bugger - I would have needed to set off about an hour ago to be able to do that - and I don't think they'd appreciate me turning up in my PJ's

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK

Just perusing ale houses as you do, and found this one in Sheffield:

http://www.thefatcat.co.uk/foodmenu/foodmenu.htm

Offering vegan food and sometimes it appears good vegan guest beers (Sam Smiths and Pitfields), they also do holsten pils by the bottle and budvar on tap, which it appears are both vegan.

I like Kumquat Mae in Sheffield (353 Abbeydale road S7 1 FS. Tel: 01142501076) Its not exclusively vegan but there aren't any exclusively vegan restaraunts in Sheffield. The food is really wholesome and there's always something a little different on the menue but most importantly, the place has a really nice, laid back vibe. All sorts eat there.

Also..

The fieldgate Centre is run by David and Katie Matthews. It's not a restaraunt but its a vegan shop, cafe, Environmental Centre, Independant cinema, campsite B and B, yoga, pilates, art club... and much more...they're even thinking of starting a wedding package!! Its set on four achres of organic small holding and they grow loads of veg. It's located just outside the village of Fishlake just off J6 on the M18 (north of Doncaster) and a 50 minute drive from Sheffield.

The delux organic vegan chocolate cake is luscious!!

Tel no: 01302 846 293
    www.fieldgatecentre.co.uk
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Kevster

What am i doing up this late? Well, i've just arrived back from an evening in Sheffield, dining out with a young lady from this forum.... myself and Miss Mogg visited Kumquat May, not a short stroll from the train station, but a pleasant one, and entered a small and well presented restaurant. All the dishes are vegetarian and some are vegan. Upon wrestling to make my own decision over what to eat i decided to go for the nut roast main course, in a rich red wine gravy with veggies, this food was very good and enough to satisfy a hungry person, I did not have to pause for thought over dessert, as you might expect, and Cattmogg had already ordered my dessert for me with my main meal (she was wearing trousers this evening) the apple tart with vegan ice-cream was generous, especially as Cat couldn't quite finish hers, so i had to assist in a fashion that any gentleman would, and finish it off. Yes it was very good, one of the best meals i've had for some time. However, don't go expecting it to be cheap, it is a fairly expensive place to eat, you can bring your own wine and beer, and corkage is free, the people that run the place are friendly. Well worth a visit.

Good for you Lad. Why do you worry about the prices when you get to dine with a nice young lady aye? Did you meet Cloudy?

An oh Kev.. Did Catmogg drop the dessert all over you or something!!! Because you know she has the reputation around here for her accidents. The next time I meet her, I am gonna get myself insured!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

You're right Kiran, you better make sure you get that insurance before we next meet up. You never know what might happen when i'm around.... although i'm not so sure it'll be accidental...

Oh yeah, in addition to Kev's lowdown on Kumquat's, the portions
    are enormous and there's good world music playing too...
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

Kevster

Just been for a trip to Sheffield, home of Gatecrasher, to meet up with Catmogg and Cloudius at the Fat Cat. Very pleasant food, standard fayre, parsnip nut roast, plentiful, and an apple crumble, lacking in nutmeg and cinnamon but pleasant enough. Good prices and Grolsch on tap. Enough to keep me there for a good day.

Next stop Blue Moon cafe and the Brown Bear watch this space for Kev's review.

Kevster

Had a little luncheon with Ms Moggridge and Littlemissvegan at the Fat Cat in Sheffield, pretty decent fayre, Catmogg now informs that Kumquatmai does a Sunday lunch also, so that is worth a look at some point. The highlight of the event was a fairly good pint of Grolsch (of course it wasn't as i prefer an ale), Cloudy was still in bed after his Barca trip.

Airey Fairey is also probably worth a look at some point i reckon....

Kevster

Was meant to meet Catmogg for lunch today, but stood her up (it's usually the other way round) well, that's not quite true, i was pretty late shall we say, and despite me running didn't quite make it, obviously, as she was not there waiting.

Suffice to say it was not my fault.

Anyway.... had the sweet potato pie and salad, delicious (but there wasn't much vegan choice for main course) and had a big piece of chocolate cake for pudding, that was pretty good, there was quite a selection of vegan cakes, it'd be good to go with several vegans and try each others cake treats.

This was all at The Blue Moon Cafe in Sheffield, 'twas very busy.

I recently dined in The Kashmere, spital Hill, Sheffield. Its not an exclusively vegan place but i had a vegan thali and it was absolutely delicious. It consisted of lots of little taster curries in different containers with rice and nan and there was so much i couldnt actually finish it. You could order other vegan curries by pick and mix too, ie. choosing from a list of veg, beans, pulses and combining them. Gooooooooooooorgeous. Yum yum yum yum yum. Indian food rocks.

- Byron

Question Sheffield Vegan Society

Hi, I have been finding it quite hard knowing no other vegans at all and wanted to join the Sheffield Vegan Society as a way to meet vegans & learn more about it all...but I can't find their website anymore!! I thought it was a pc problem at first but I haven't been able to get on it for weeks now! I wanted to go to their meeting in the fat cat but can't find out anything about it now.
    Is anyone here a member of the Society & does anyone know what's happening with the website?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 7th, 2006 at 05:08 PM. Reason: This was the 1st post in a similar thread.
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddah

Default Re: Vegan Sheffield

Hey I'm in Sheff and also having the same problem..damn lazy vegans neglecting their site!

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (other)

I've been TOLD to mention this place.... Catmogg said so... i'll check it out myself soon,

The Bohemian, 53 chesterfield road, Sheffield. Apparently they do some reasonably priced vegan food and drinks, smoothies! All the cakes are vegan which has got to merit a visit in itself, there are main dishes too.

catmogg says: tasteful surroundings, chilled atmosphere, down to earth, nice people.

I'll report back.

The Bohemian, Chesterfield Road, Sheffield, have launched their new website...... thebohemian.co.uk.

- Byron

Mmmm...Catmogg, Bakewell tart...wish I lived nearer!!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Me too, i'd be nipping down for some right now. Lol.

- Byron

sprite1986

Yeah, I swear i've been given leaflets about it and stuff, and i'm sure i've been to demos where the Shef vegans have also been out in force... but still not got round to sorting myself out and going to a social or whatever. Plus, their website STILL isnt working, that is.. if I'm going to the right site..

What does everyone think of the new DnR bar? I like it, plus its nice to have the gig room right about it!

I did read somewhere else (from another Sheff vegan) that the Sheffield Vegan Society has now disbanded, I don't know if this is the case or not but it would explain why their website is no longer available

I still haven't been to the D n' R bar (but I aim to rectify that soon ), but I've heard that it's still all goooood!!

sprite1986

Really?!? I can;t imagine why though.. it doesn't really make sense for them to disband if you see what I mean, cos I always assumed it was more of a social soc, rather than anything more regulated, if you see what I mean. (I've really not explained myself that well..), and its hardly as if they'll all have quit being vegan.

Huge shame if it has though. On committee at the uni veg/vegan society, but erm, theres not many people in it. Haha.

You should def make that vist to DnR bar soon. It's not really got quite so much ..atmosphere.. as the old pub, but the people are all there still, and I love it.

I was surprised by it myself....as I understand it the reason was that since Sheff Vegan Society first began 18 years ago there are now so many other support avenues for vegans/would be vegans so they no longer felt it necessary to continue!

It would indeed be very difficult for any venue to live up to the atmosphere at Hartshead Square but I know the majority of the regulars have gone over to Arundel Gate with 'em so it can't be too bad!

As an aside, if you have myspace there are a couple of Sheffield Vegan/Sheffield Animal Rights groups on there (but if you're active within the uni vegan/veg group you may already know about these!! )

Yeah I just checked with the Fat Cat actually (the pub where the vegan society used to meet) and he said they've stopped any 'local activity' and definitely don't meet anymore.
    It's a real shame. Maybe your uni one could be open to non-students & you could start your own Sheffield Vegan Society!!

Fat Cat is still really good for veggies/vegan so you should all still go there!

DNR bar is definitely cool, like the music!
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddah

sprite1986

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    As an aside, if you have myspace there are a couple of Sheffield Vegan/Sheffield Animal Rights groups on there (but if you're active within the uni vegan/veg group you may already know about these!! )

Yeah, i've been involved with Shef AR for since I've been here, but I think nwe've merged with Shef Animal Friends, so I'll hopefully start doing stuff with them.

sprite1986

Quote J9 View Post
    Yeah I just checked with the Fat Cat actually (the pub where the vegan society used to meet) and he said they've stopped any 'local activity' and definitely don't meet anymore.
    It's a real shame. Maybe your uni one could be open to non-students & you could start your own Sheffield Vegan Society!!

Fat Cat is still really good for veggies/vegan so you should all still go there!

DNR bar is definitely cool, like the music!

Aww, thats crap. Oh and also, our uni one IS open to non-students, although, as I mentioned jsut before in my above comment, I think we've merged with SAF. So you should all come! Basically all the people who do the UNI AR club, run the Uni veg/vegan club as well.. so we're pretty low on numbers, haha.

Ah yeah, I think i've been to the Fat Cat. I'm sure I had a pint of green cider there... (eurgh...), is it in in Burngreave?

Also, what sort of music are all you DnR bar-ers into then? Maybe I've already seen you about.

Sheffield Vegan Society has indeed recently disbanded. Things have moved forward so much in the 18 years it existed that there is no longer any need for a vegan support/social group.

I'm sure many ex-members will be joining with other local groups to campaign for animals and veganism, and if another local vegan group is needed it will form spontaneously.

Kevster

Default Re: Vegan friendly restaurants in UK (outside London)

Popped over to Sheffield for lunch today, very nice, went to the Fat Cat in Kelham Island. Standard fayre but quite delightful, had potato and spinach pie with roast spuds gravy, cabbage, peas, carrots and sweetcorn. For afters it was apple crumble and ice-cream.... mmmmmmm. Washed down with a couple of pints of Grolsch all very good, and reasonably priced too.

friendly fri

the olive garden went bust around 2 years ago, shame really as it was sheffields best vegie place by a mile.
    :D :)

hello, does anyone have any up-to-date info on vegan/AR groups or sporadic meet-ups here in sheffield? i've just moved here and it'd be nice to find some like-minded folk. if there's nothing going on but people are interested in getting some kinda vegan pot-luck going i'd be well up for that! cheers, jonny