Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Sheffield

leedsveg

Default Re: Vegan Sheffield

^^^
    Oh, dear. Not good. Not good at all (re Airy Fairy).

lv

friendly fri

She apologised to us later, saying she doesn`t really think like that about animals.
    In my mind, the damage is done, it just reflects badly on the place.
    Weeks later, they held a meeting on pagan animal rights but I was not there.
    Disgusting behaviour though that day.
    And last time there, two weeks ago, I was irritated by the frosty "cheerio" from the maitre d as we were leaving.What no jewellery bought?
    No cheese sandwiches?
    Nobody but nobody says cheerio these days..sorry but it`s a thumbs down from me.
    :D :)

I say cheerio

Well, more often its sister adaption 'cheerios' - but still.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

leedsveg

^^^

My sister always says "Cheery!" but then again she's lived in Scotland (where they do things differently) for nearly 40 years.

Lv

friendly fri

I am always happy to be proved wrong.

friendly fri

Heeley farm was where I went Sat and Sun just gone.
    Tofu n mushroom pie with roast spuds n two fresh vegan salads.
    Cost around 4 quid and was amazingly good.

friendly fri

Fanoush vegetarian falafel takeaway , bottom of London road, please go check it out, its new, its veggie, its quite cheap too.

leedsveg

^^^

I'll be in Sheffield on Tuesday but I've got a lot to do in a short space of time so it might be the all-day breakfast (plus slice of cake) at New Roots cafe for me. So many other eating places I'd love to visit though. Heeely Farm sounds good.

Leedsveg

friendly fri

Earlier this year a place opened on London road calling itself The Sharrow pie experiment.Cue a text from me asking if pie, which was free btw, is vegan.
    Sorry no came the reply but we have free soya milk to make you a really good cup of tea..free.
    Later they emailed me that their pie "is most definitely vegan" and yet when I said "what type of pie" the silence was deafening.
    Place has now shut down.
    Typical..a bunch of ex students renting an office, assuring all that they are here to stay and then shutting up shop.

leedsveg

^^^
    Sounds like The Sharrow "Pie-in-the-sky" Experiment to me. Maybe things being free was the source of it's demise?

Leedsveg

Crusty Rat

Quote friend View Post
    As for vegan Sheffield, i prefer the omni Pho 68 on London road.Vegan tofu salt n pepper starter for 3 quid..beats blue moon anyday....despite it being omni not veggie, this pho 68.
    That used to be one of my favourite places but last time it was fucking horrible - staff were rude and my partner found shrimp in a dish which was meant to be veggie in the first place. I got really ill, I had to stand around in the bogs trying not to be sick for ages. I was ill for a couple of days afterwards too, not good. :|

friendly fri

Yes leeds. I actually think it was like a non veggie version of the common place as used to be in Leeds..all student aspiration, and pie in the sky..but worse than the common place cos for a while it was good there.

friendly fri

[QUOTE=Crusty Rat;693926]That used to be one of my favourite places but last time it was fucking horrible - staff were rude and my partner found shrimp in a dish which was meant to be veggie in the first place. I got really ill, I had to stand around in the bogs trying not to be sick for ages. I was ill for a couple of days afterwards too, not good. :|[/QUOTI do not accept the staff are rude there.
    No.
    And i have never seen shrimp given on a vegetarian dish.
    Watch your language.
    Last edited by friend; Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Crusty Rat

Just realised no-one has mentioned Lembas... http://www.lembas.co.uk/ fuck supermarkets!

Hello
    Heeley City Farm in Sheffield is currently hosting vegetarian/vegan
    evening events at The Farm kitchen. In September The Farm kitchen (which is
    totally vegetarian/vegan) hosted the first of it's evening events -
    themed 'Gormet food evening'. This was a brilliant success and we hope
    to run more gourmet food evenings in the future. On Nov 11th 2011 we
    will be hosting a 'Greek food night' and wish to invite lovers of
    vegetarian and vegan food to this and future events.
    For more information please contact The Farm Kitchen on 0114 2580244
    For a menu please contact julie.blacker@sky.com
    many thanks

friendly fri

Oddly, a thing that puzzles me about the farm..cheap wholesome vegan n veggie cuisine....but do the animals go to slaughter someplace??
    And on the farm website is a photo of the stripy piglets that live there, with an advert for pork n cider something or other being touted by another farm..odd contrast here.

Crusty Rat

Post Re: Vegan Sheffield

Quote friend View Post
    Earlier this year a place opened on London road calling itself The Sharrow pie experiment.Cue a text from me asking if pie, which was free btw, is vegan.
    Sorry no came the reply but we have free soya milk to make you a really good cup of tea..free.
    Later they emailed me that their pie "is most definitely vegan" and yet when I said "what type of pie" the silence was deafening.
    Place has now shut down.
    Typical..a bunch of ex students renting an office, assuring all that they are here to stay and then shutting up shop.
    Ah, we went in there when it was still running, was a bit put out to find out the pie wasn't vegan though - even though the woman running the place was! It was apple pie as well. Had a cuppa and a chat anyway. Argued for vegan pie. Personally I think they were a bit old to be described as ex-students.

Next time I saw the woman she said the pie was now vegan and they were doing a vegan curry night, but I didn't end up going. Is it shut down now then?

---

Tried out the new all-vegetarian falafel bar on London Road today, "Fanoush", damn fucking good falafel! I had a 10" fanoush wrap with jalapeno houmous, red onion, red cabbage, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, chillies, olives, pickle and tahini sauce. Ł3. It looked too full to roll up, but the guy managed and it was completely packed but also really well wrapped - normally I end up a falafelly mess by the end of eating, but no such problems today. Ohh it was delicious.

Crusty Rat

Quote friend View Post
    Oddly, a thing that puzzles me about the farm..cheap wholesome vegan n veggie cuisine....but do the animals go to slaughter someplace??
    And on the farm website is a photo of the stripy piglets that live there, with an advert for pork n cider something or other being touted by another farm..odd contrast here.
    I was a bit confused by the veggie cafe thing. At first I thought they might rescue farm animals, but they actually appear to be a kind of agricultural zoo. They metion an elderly horse who they still have but what happens to animals who appeal to the average English palette I couldn't say. On top of that, they breed "pet" animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, reptiles and even keep caged chipmunks.

<error, see below>

Quote friend View Post
    Fanoush vegetarian falafel takeaway , bottom of London road, please go check it out, its new, its veggie, its quite cheap too.
    I'd second this place, fantastic falafal wraps with a great choice of salads and sauces - really clean looking interior and the couple who run it seem very friendly

leedsveg

Just read a really good write up on "Fanoush" so I rang them up to see if they were open over Christmas. Alas no, they close on the 23rd and don't reopen until 4th January, the 2 partners having a bit of a holiday. I asked if they were going somewhere hot + sweaty and the answer was "No, Canada!"

I look forward to going there in the New Year (Fanoush, not Canada ) so thanks Crusty and Mike for the info.

Leedsveg
    Last edited by leedsveg; Dec 15th, 2011 at 05:00 PM.

friendly fri

Its not too great, fanoush. Very little falafel, which they spread ultra thin on a wrap, they then insist you have a bit of everything on the salad, ignoring/making sure you dont request, say, more chilli, more cucumber etc. So large sandwich of salad with a smattering of crushed falafel, costs 3.50. Not good at all.
    If you want decent food , go to pho68, Vietnamese omni.
    London rd, get the tofu with salt n pepper.

Crusty Rat

Would really have to disagree with the Pho68 recommendation. Whilst it used to be a favourite, last time I went I had to have a dish brought out three times - the first it was brought out with egg in despite our requests, the second my partner found shrimp floating in hers and the third time, although when we asked they hastily assured us there was no egg in it, I really do wish I'd walked out because I ate it and felt incredibly sick. I'm positive they lied to avoid further hassle - when we checked with the waitress who brought it over she turned round to ask other staff and they just waved her hands at her like "yeah, sure, whatever". It was a really horrible experience, I had to stand around in the bogs trying not to spew for ages.

Before that I'd always thought it was good, although when I mentioned it to a friend (pre-incident) she grimaced and said she'd had a bad experience there, as had other vegans she knew. Wish I'd listened now. :/

Crusty Rat

Quote friend View Post
    I do not accept the staff are rude there.
    No.
    And i have never seen shrimp given on a vegetarian dish.
    Watch your language.
    Not sure why you felt the need to edit this post, but I'd like to point out that I'm in no way the only person to be treated rudely by staff in there or be lied to about the vegan-ness of a dish.
    I also think "fucking horrible" is a perfectly reasonable reaction to finding a piece of dead animal in my dinner.

I never told you not to go there - I just really don't think they're a good recommendation for "Vegan Sheffield".

I should be visiting Sheffield in about twelve days... Anybody in the mood for a herbal infusion, or some chatty networking feel free to let me know.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Quote leedsveg View Post
    ^^^

I'll be in Sheffield on Tuesday but I've got a lot to do in a short space of time so it might be the all-day breakfast (plus slice of cake) at New Roots cafe for me. So many other eating places I'd love to visit though. Heeely Farm sounds good.

Leedsveg
    Alas I read this post too late, Iv been meaning to goand try the New Roots cafe for a while now as I pass it on the bus on way into town, but havent got round to it yet and this would have given me the 'push' to actually get off the bus and go in! never mind maybe next time Leedsveg. Iv been to the new roots shop near the hospital but its not a cafe but do sell snacks and drinks and have a room down stairs you can sit in, prices ok and the 'sausage' rolls are yummy
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

I'll be in Sheffield from about nine Saturday morning , till about nine Sunday evening.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

friendly fri

Quote genisis View Post
    Alas I read this post too late, Iv been meaning to goand try the New Roots cafe for a while now as I pass it on the bus on way into town, but havent got round to it yet and this would have given me the 'push' to actually get off the bus and go in! never mind maybe next time Leedsveg. Iv been to the new roots shop near the hospital but its not a cafe but do sell snacks and drinks and have a room down stairs you can sit in, prices ok and the 'sausage' rolls are yummy
    Try the Burngreave rd one, thats better than the one by the Hallamshire.

Quote whalespace View Post
    I'll be in Sheffield from about nine Saturday morning , till about nine Sunday evening.
    sorry whalespace I was away all weekend

^^ I stayed at the "Citadel Of Hope", for the national "Occupy" conference. There was vegan food between various discussions.

I got a few photos, which I might post later. Some people arrived, and started clambering through the roof parts, then down came a trapeze. I am cautious around trapezes since my previous encounter [in a similar context].

Bristol's "Invisible Circus" put on a show in the 'auditorium' for those who were interested [after the "Bank Of Ideas" and the occupied court house.]
    I had to be on my way when the circus got going... Katy Cartwheel was doing her thing as I left.
    Here is part of one of the acts last Sunday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzSFxnzDy0

Another vid which might be of 'trainspotter' interest ; skip to time 07m35s to see the auditorium [which was filled] :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhOqYYCBB34

Maybe visit next time you are passing?

Here is my blurry picture, the date is wrong :

[IMG][/IMG]

Not all of the food was vegan though.
    I slept under a curtain, not one of these posh ones though.... another coincidence. I slept under a curtain the last time there were trapezes, but that was a long long church window curtain.

I've heard about the occupation of the Citadel. I always wondered what it was like inside. I must have a poke around!
    Must try that falafel place.
    We could do with somewhere funky for vegan food in Sheffield, without that "wooly jumper", "po-faced" vibe! Anyone inspired to start a business??

thanx whalespace for putting the links to those video's, i found them really interesting

and yes Anne, im always 'inspired' to start a business but that seems to be as far as i get!!

friendly fri

Yes, at times the po faced vibe does seem to extend all around us.Occasionally i see the blue moon in that light....
    Sheffield animal friends are a good group who are having a free vegan banquet on Sat march 24th at Quaker meeting house.
    I am told all welcome.....cheers

You are welcome, genisis.

friendly fri

Its shocking that Sheffield has just one veggie cafe in the centre. The overpriced blue moon, with its tiny portions, huge prices and rock hard, uncomfortable chairs.
    The staff are rude, including a very ignorant Sheffield wednesday fan who has been known to confront United fans about their allegiance.
    Last edited by friend; Feb 25th, 2012 at 10:23 AM.

Question Re: Vegan Sheffield

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this forum. I live in Chorley, Lancashire but spend around every other weekend in Sheffield at my partner's. I have never been a fan of takeaways but trying to experiment with different food when I am staying with my girl. We ordered a chinese take away tonight, first 'Chinese' meal I have ever eaten, I liked it, but even with my thorough explanation of Veganism, I still felt a bit uncertain and wary. Initally the woman didn't have a clue what Veganism was but then rang me back to say everything in our order was Vegan a part from the spring rolls. Has anyone any tips for ordering from takeaways or know any trustworthy takeaways in Sheffield? (that deliver to S10 area).

Ta!

Freaky

friendly fri

Quote freaky View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this forum. I live in Chorley, Lancashire but spend around every other weekend in Sheffield at my partner's. I have never been a fan of takeaways but trying to experiment with different food when I am staying with my girl. We ordered a chinese take away tonight, first 'Chinese' meal I have ever eaten, I liked it, but even with my thorough explanation of Veganism, I still felt a bit uncertain and wary. Initally the woman didn't have a clue what Veganism was but then rang me back to say everything in our order was Vegan a part from the spring rolls. Has anyone any tips for ordering from takeaways or know any trustworthy takeaways in Sheffield? (that deliver to S10 area).

Ta!

Freaky
    Any Chinese tofu dish is usually vegan, if concerned just ring n ask and they shall sort you out there.

friendly fri

Only afordable veggie place in the city is heeley city farm, so please check it out.

Thanks! I've been to Heeley city farm and was impressed by their cafe, would like to know more about the farm part though such as the background of the animals they keep and how they are kept and treated on the farm. I had some concerns about the 'small animal' section. Ah well, that a side, I had a jolly good piece of vegan chocolate cake and a latte, very yum!

I've also been experimenting with takeaways on occasion, I have had a few nice chinese dishes (but a lot of hassle to explain what Veganism is) Still, I much prefer home cooking!!

popped into the 'falafel king' on glosop rd, just down from the new roots, as I noticed that the sign above the shop said mixed grill,vegan and vegetarian. i could see nothing on the 'menu' that said it was vegan or anything that i could work out to be vegan. when i asked what vegan option they had, the waiter/cook dude look at me a little confused and ask someone else who worked there and then finally came back to me and offered me the massive choice of rice, chips or a wrap with plain salad in it! needless to say i didnt have anything and popped in newroots for a hot sosroll and tea
    the quest for a decent reasonably priced veg cafe continues
    We all love animals. So why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" ~k.d. lang

friendly fri

What about heeley farm cafe genisis? That is reasonable price and tasty too.

havent yet tried heeley farm cafe yet friend but it is on my 'to do list'

- - - Updated - - -

There is a new vegan group called the South Yorkshire Vegans (SYV) in Sheffield. The first group meeting is on 19th Sept 2012 6.30-8pm at Costa Meadowhall, Sheffield (inside WHSmiths)
    It is not an animal rights group just a group for vegans longterm vegan,new or anyone considering going vegan to socialize with each other

friendly fri

Thanks. Costa meadowhell doesn`t sound too inspiring but yes, good to hear of a new vegan group. I won`t be there as groups arent my thing. If they`re yours, Sheff animal friends are having a meal etc at rude shipyard, Abbeydale road, on Thu Aug 16th at 730pm.
    Cheers.

Unfortunately I've been told that New Roots Cafe on Burngreave Road has closed as far as serving meals is concerned.

Hey! Some of us from SAF coincidentally decided to start a Sheffield Vegan Meet Up group at the same time as the South Yorkshire Vegans emerged, so if anyone can't make the SYV meetings or finds the SVMUs easier to get to, we're meeting on the third Thursday of every month. September's meeting will be on Thursday 20th September at the Rude Shipyard on Abbeydale Road, but we plan to try other places out in future. We're on Facebook here or you can email SAF at sheffieldanimalfriends (at) gmail.com to sign up to our mailing list and stay updated that way.

Finally got round to trying Heeley City Farm cafe, I had the TLT (tofu,lettuce tomatoe sandwich) it was absolutly delish! will definatly go again. thanx for the recommendation friend

- - - Updated - - -

oh also ment to ask....Does anyone know of anywhere that serves vegan food in Rotherham? My daughter moved to Rotherham about 3 months ago and we have looked around town centre but cant seem to find anywhere at all! ive looked on google but cant seem to find anything except an italian place that only opens in the evening, was thinking of somewhere for lunch.
    thanx in advance x

friendly fri

Quote genisis View Post
    Finally got round to trying Heeley City Farm cafe, I had the TLT (tofu,lettuce tomatoe sandwich) it was absolutly delish! will definatly go again. thanx for the recommendation friend

- - - Updated - - -

oh also ment to ask....Does anyone know of anywhere that serves vegan food in Rotherham? My daughter moved to Rotherham about 3 months ago and we have looked around town centre but cant seem to find anywhere at all! ive looked on google but cant seem to find anything except an italian place that only opens in the evening, was thinking of somewhere for lunch.
    thanx in advance x
    Thanks genisis, you are welcome. A veggie colleague of mine from Rotherham says the town is really dire and hopeless for vegetarians. There must be Chinese or Indian places that can accommodate vegan food. Subway will do a vegan sarnie if asked. Good luck.

friendly fri

Honey pie tearoom on Chesterfield rd, S8, do vegan cakes and swedish glace ice cream sundaes..check it out.

Sorry if this is abit off topic but my band T.R.A.C (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Throw-Rocks-At-Cops/122430204470595) are looking for a new drummer, if this wasnt hard enough we need a vegan drummer as the whole band is vegan and involved with various animal rights. Were in Doncaster (just down the road from Sheffield) and aim to practice at least every 2 weeks and gig as much as possible!

Also for myself im looking for vegan drummers or bassists for a more crusty/hardcore kind of band. Would be willing to travel to Sheffield to practice.

If anyones interested in either or both either get intouch on the facebook page or PM me on here

Thank You