Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Vegan DIY

seitan

Default Re: Vegan DIY

this is the front of our place

and this is the back

its a mobile home (and for sale if anybody is interested!!). i wood claded the outside and built a couple of extentions. i loved doing it! id love to be in a position to build my own palce, out of timber, that would be f'ing awesome!

looks like a nice place, seitan.

Quote seitan View Post
    id love to be in a position to build my own palce, out of timber, that would be f'ing awesome!
    If ever you are, I have detailed drawings and CAD files for two and three bed timber framed post and beam single storey houses of minor environmental impact.
    This doesn't really convey how good they are to live in since it all of it was filmed before we had actually finished.

I like the vertical cladding on your home.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

We've luckily got some cash left over from our house build and having a good size garden we're going to put up a summerhouse 14x10 feet in it.

I found a great site that sells woodburners for summerhouses, boats, caravans etc and we're going for the Louis Ranger so we can bake bread and cakes down there.The top acts as a hob and you can cook on it.

http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/html/woodburners.htm

In case anyone is interested we also found a fantastic summerhouse retailer that is very reasonably priced. With a bit of DIY insulation it will be an extra room for summer and winter. We're getting the Dorset:

http://www.acesheds.co.uk/product.ph...et_summerhouse
    Silent but deadly :p

LGBunny

Seitan - that looks lovererleey

Very nice Seitan

Hemlock - thanks for the links! Forwarded to OH as we are looking for a decent shed and also a stove for what may eventually become a dining room if we get a move on...

Nice place Seitan

I have finally put some time aside to do a bit of work on the house this weekend, some of it will just be general stuff like fixing the curtain rail in bedroom

but I am just about to start the insulating experiment, so we will see how that goes, I have bought some paint to paint the harth where my Rayburn sits and I think I am going to paint the chimney breast in the living room where I had the lining installed (only about 2yrs ago)

although, its dry outside, i might take the bike out instead...........
    I dont get crunchy people?

This thread reminds me - must post some more pics. The downstairs loo is now in so we are about to dismantle the upstairs bathroom! This means a week of taking showers at the sports centre up the road. They said we can use their facilities for £2 a go - yay
    Our woodburners have finally arrived in the store so we will not be freezing for much longer and thirdly ....... we got the £2000 grant for the eco conversion - whoop!!!!!!

cobweb

sounds good Hemlock, i would love to see pics of the work you're doing and of your garden.

those summer houses are quite well priced, aren't they?.

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Our woodburners have finally arrived in the store so we will not be freezing for much longer and thirdly ....... we got the £2000 grant for the eco conversion - whoop!!!!!!
    Yay good news! OH is still umming and ahhing over the woodburners in the link you posted. We like them, but he was really keen on having one with glass in the door so he can see inside. Decisions, decisions...

Quote Est View Post
    Yay good news! OH is still umming and ahhing over the woodburners in the link you posted. We like them, but he was really keen on having one with glass in the door so he can see inside. Decisions, decisions...
    We have got woodburners in the house with glass in (or will have next week). It's only the summerhouse that will have a non glass one because it's a bread oven designed for a summerhouse!
    At this moment we have no bathroom, no kitchen, no heating and it was snowing yesterday

I hope to God everything goes in soon - it could be 7-10 days. meanwhile we are using the showers at work and at the sports centre up the road. Thank goodness we have a downstairs loo now!

Dreadful DIY moment du jour:
    I am at home today and there are 6 builders in the house finishing off. The urge to take a dump could no longer wait and the waste paper bin in our bedroom seriously wasn't an option!
    I had to go downstairs and use the new loo with builders laughing and chatting just outside the door and outside the loo window at the back the whole time, then I couldn't flush the bastard, it took six goes and the loo smelt like someone had died in there thanks to jalapeno peppers! Then to my horror I realised the builders were working on the soil pipe outside - I fled to my room and now refuse to come out, I'm going to die in here - where's the rope!?

Oh Hemlock

How embarassing, but still very funny!

haha thats brilliant

when i took my bathroom wall down, you could see the loo from the front door. I remember being sat on the loo when the postman delivered the mail, poor bloke had a shock

Took a long weekend this weekend to try and make some progress. I just read my post a couple of weeks back...that day i decided to take the bike out haha f*ck the diy

so far this weekend I have..

painted the bathroom (well most of it) two coats of emulsion.
    put up my new mirror in bathroom
    stained and put up two shelves in Bathroom
    cleaned half of the floor in Bathroom (old quarry tiles) will be sealing them later.
    filled broken brick & mortar and then painted the harth
    put a concrete base in for my rayburn
    *finished insulating one side of my loft (will do the other side tomorrow)
    mowed the lawn (which took 3hrs because it was so long!)
    and finally fixed the curtain rail in my bedroom

* the insulation experiment with the space blanket didnt work, bloody expensive experiment. I am at a bit of a loss what to do now? I managed to 'poke' the insulation down further than before so it will be an improvement, i think the only thing for it is to rip the ceilings out inside and insulate that way. one day, but got enough on my plate at the moment.

Are you trying to insulate a small space with difficult access vbb? I'm sure I've heard of people using polystyrene beads or blowing shredded newspaper in with a special machine. Surely there much be some easier way than taking the ceiling down?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

At the back of my house the roof comes down to first floor level, so there is a void about 100mm, when you go up the stairs you are about 100mm from outside! without any insulation, this makes the back half of my house very cold. I thought i could 'push' a thin space blanket (about an inch thick and equivalent to 250mm insulation). however there is a pinch point where it passes the supporting wall. So my plan was scuppered!

yeah, I had looked at using vermiculite pellets, but there are two issues i) completely filling the void will prevent air circulation which is important ii) its bloody expensive!!

The ceilings will need replacing eventually anyway, so the insulating will just have to wait.

lots of good things happening at mine at the moment. Will post pictures in the not so distant future
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

should that statement be in the erogenous zone

What about insulating by attaching something to the inside face of the ceiling in the meantime vbb? If it is only temporary it will get you through the winter in comfort. (Or would that reduce the head height too much?)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

even I have to duck going up the stairs, as it is I have looked at some of the foil or polystyrene coverings and I must admit I am not convinced of the benefits compared to time/cost to install.

I supposed I could just put two inch insulating Plasterboard on the ceiling and ban tall people from visiting!!

Or if it is a slope as I'm imagining you could do most of it but leave the bit where the headroom is limited? Better than nothing!

(In the 70's is was all the rage to glue a layer of polystyrene onto the walls. Our place was covered in it - don't know if it worked though.)

yeah they still sell it!! it has minimal insulating properties, but because its 'warm' to the touch it prevents condensation.

at the moment its colder in my house than it is outside, so i dont get condensation

One of my many current projects is making a high def home cinema & photography studio.

I've cleared out one of my cellar chambers that I think will be perfect for it. The ceiling height is good (2m), so I can get upto a 160" screen and it's fine for 6f2 people like me without ducking.

I've been laying a lighting circuit and doing various prep work. It has natural light (behind the blind I put in) when needed. I'll paint the celing/box the wiring and am looking at a black rubber floor. I'll leave the walls as they are as there's lots of nice arches and 150 y/o brick work. I shalln't try tanking due to cost, but the floor will make it warmer and walkable on without shoes. I won't leave any chair cushions in there and remove projector/speakers/photography equipment when not in use, but it'll be damp free enough to enjoy spending afternoons/evenings.

My current AV cabinet in my lounge is extremely conveniently located almost directly above where the projector will go, so I can use all my existing gear and not have to worry about storing it in a damp environment. When gas/water was put into the property they very inconsiderately ran the mains pipes straight across the room. It would cost a lot of money to have them re-routed, so they'll stay.

So far I've spent about £50 on wiring/lighting, £15 on a blind.

The floor will be £300 when I have the money in the new year, a 720p projector £400 (1080p is still £900+, i figure i'll upgrade if needs be in a few years when they are a sensible price) and a fixed screen £100-£200.

I've already got a drum of speaker cable, will for now move the speakers from upstairs down when i use them, so just need an IR extender & a few comfy chairs. I can make the lighting IR for about £25.

In time I can get better speakers, comfier chairs, some more exciting lighting (like floor embedded colour changing things) and perhaps some friends to sit in it with me?

A couple of pictures for anyone whose interested:

What a lovely space! I've just ordered one of these colour changing lights - might be useful for temporary colour interest? You can always use it elsewhere when you get your nice floor embedded lights.

Thanks

I was looking at those in Heals the other day - they do indeed look very good.

The floor embeded ones I've found cost about that for 6 thou (no link, found them in b&q).

Whatever I buy lighting wise it needs really to be compatible with the existing computer controlled system that I use in the rest of the house (so either standard direct wired bulbs, or IR controllable - not RF as is the Philips thing).

I have a slight lighting fetish. I wanted to take this home with me from the V&A museum, but I don't think security would have let me

thats looking really nice mr flibble.

not sure what you have planned for the flooring, but laying rubber matting directly onto the bricks may cause them to sweat. I think you can flooring that is effectively on feet (only about 10mm) but at least it would keep the airflowing. sorry if you've already thought of it

I appreciate the advice

I am indeed ahead. Cumin knows a company that sells stable matting who I contacted a few weeks ago. They have a new product coming in the new year that is exactly like that (2cm high, of which over 1cm is feet). It comes in interlocking tiles, is slightly textured and is designed to be warming/insulating too.

It's basically the same as this one (actually it seems to be identical, other than 40% cheaper):

Part of the niceness of feet is that I can cut a few of them off and run low voltage cabling (speaker etc) under the floor.

That cellar is beautiful Mr Flibble! You could do so much with it - a home cinema would be amazing, especially with total darkness and surround sound!

I'm looking for ways to lock up my garage since my bike tires have been slashed. I made a door with lock out of plywood for the awkwardly shaped doorway, but the garage door does not lock. In fact, it barely closes. My dad suggested drilling a hole in the track and putting a bolt through to block the door opening. There are some problems with this though.

The track is very rusted and warped, and the door often falls out of the trackk when opening it. It takes two of us, one inside, one out, to open the garage door without it collapsing. Even if the wheels stay in the track, the support that attatches the door to the wheel is about 3 pieces of wood nailed together. In other words, even if I did my dad's suggestion, it wouldn't take too much pulling to bring the whole thing down, or even just open it enough to get into. (It doesn't have to be much since I strongly suspect it was a kid this time.)

Doe anyone have any suggestions that are cheap? It doesn't have to be easily reversible, but I do need to get large object in or out of the garage a couple times a year.

Your cellar rocks Mr Flibble - leave it alone, it would make a fabulous pagan temple

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    I'm looking for ways to lock up my garage since my bike tires have been slashed. I made a door with lock out of plywood for the awkwardly shaped doorway, but the garage door does not lock. In fact, it barely closes. My dad suggested drilling a hole in the track and putting a bolt through to block the door opening. There are some problems with this though.

The track is very rusted and warped, and the door often falls out of the trackk when opening it. It takes two of us, one inside, one out, to open the garage door without it collapsing. Even if the wheels stay in the track, the support that attatches the door to the wheel is about 3 pieces of wood nailed together. In other words, even if I did my dad's suggestion, it wouldn't take too much pulling to bring the whole thing down, or even just open it enough to get into. (It doesn't have to be much since I strongly suspect it was a kid this time.)

Doe anyone have any suggestions that are cheap? It doesn't have to be easily reversible, but I do need to get large object in or out of the garage a couple times a year.
    Sniv. it would be useful to see a pic, to advise you best. I just did a bodge job for Phoenix rising, she has an old knackered garage door, but needed to be able to lock it, it cost about £5 and took about 30mins for me to put a lock on it.

Apparently our chimney stack needs rebuilding as it has partially turned to dust! Anyone have any idea what we are talking about in terms of costs! break it to me gently or I may collapse.

oh dear, sounds expensive - i hope it isn't!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

hemlock, the most expensive bit is the scaffolding. The cost will then be dependant on how much they have to rebuild. You are probably talking 3-400 for scaffolding and a couple of days labour + materials, if you can just re-build above the roofline, if you have to go beyond that it could prove more expensive, you will need to consider things like reflashing etc..

I would get a second opinion, does it really need doing? could you just re-point or replace the damaged sectiopn? do you use the chimney or is it lined? (ie woodburner has its own flue) do you need a chimney? would it be cheaper just to get rid of it?

WOW I'd love that basement, reminds me of the Shunt under london bridge station, only nice

Quote veganbikerboy View Post
    hemlock, the most expensive bit is the scaffolding. The cost will then be dependant on how much they have to rebuild. You are probably talking 3-400 for scaffolding and a couple of days labour + materials, if you can just re-build above the roofline, if you have to go beyond that it could prove more expensive, you will need to consider things like reflashing etc..

I would get a second opinion, does it really need doing? could you just re-point or replace the damaged sectiopn? do you use the chimney or is it lined? (ie woodburner has its own flue) do you need a chimney? would it be cheaper just to get rid of it?
    Phew we're ok, the guys who put the scaffold up to put the woodburner flues down said we can keep it there for a few more days for no extra cost and the builder came over and said those guys were prophets of doom and it will only cost around £80 to repair. Thanks for the advise. Good thing we already had a scaffold up or it would have cost us £400 like you said.

The woodburning central heating is in and we have spent the last few days alternately freezing and boiling while we get used to it all and leaving the radiators on all night using up everything in the thermal store.

I think we're getting the hang of it now and we woke up and were able to have a big hot bath It's made the house so warm we will only need to use the radiators in the very coldest of weather which we don't really get down here for more than a month.

It's weird not having the ultra convenience of gas and I guess I had a bit of an insecure moment about that, it's so easy just to turn the gas on in the morning have a shower and buzz out.

Now we have to get up very early to stoke the embers, go and get logs and decide when to keep it stoked and when to let it go out to suit work but to be honest the best things in life are not necessarily the most convenient and fast - everything is so fast these days and on tap. this way we are more aware of the seasons and the need to go looking for natural resources to keep us warm. It's probably a more natural way of life.

That is unless like the other day I come home dying for a hot bath to find number one son is still asleep in bed (afternoon) and the house and the water is stone cold

glad to hear that that's all going well for you now

I'm having my rayburn refurbed and installed today, I am sooooo excited!!!

Quote veganbikerboy View Post
    I'm having my rayburn refurbed and installed today, I am sooooo excited!!!
    Excellent, you will be toastie all winter.

its in and looking lovely, but got to wait until tomorrow until i can light it

I remember ranges from being a kid. Everyone we know pretty much used to have stanley ranges. The only thing I wished about them was that they could have viewing windows for the fire compartment.

There are many things that my house is - toasty is not one of them. It's neither warm nor particularly warming. I think I need to get some more cushions and fabric things, there's too much bare wood and cream walls at the moment.

I have a couple of new radiators that aren't connected yet, hopefully they'll make a difference. I've had some boiler issues recently (it doesn't always like making hot water when the heating is on). I really don't want to pay £160 for it to be serviced.

Should really get it serviced, really really important. The problem with the boiler by the sounds of it is that perhaps a pcb is defective (pricey) that diverts the heat to a second heat exchanger for the hot water. (used to deal with this sort of thing when I worked for housing repairs for a council).

If your boiler is 'room sealed' which means that the boiler gets its air supply from outside then a service is still important but not as important at one which isn't. on an open flued appliance (older boilers, gas fires etc etc) regular checks and services are vital as a defective boiler could lead to products of combustion entering the property.
    In this case the sooner you get it repaired the less damage will be done. If it is condenser combi- boiler if the diverter is stuck due to a pcb fault and it's dealt with early you only have one part to replace, if you leave it too long other parts will deteriorate.

remember:
    a stitch in time saves nine

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    There are many things that my house is - toasty is not one of them. It's neither warm nor particularly warming. I think I need to get some more cushions and fabric things, there's too much bare wood and cream walls at the moment.
    I know what you mean! We painted our kitchen bright red to avoid the cream and beige thing and it looked bloody awful - like a whorehouse
    It is now Farrow and Ball off white which is a very nice warm cream/beige colour. I'm going to acessorise it with crimson and green but the crimson en masse was way over the top!
    It leads into the dining room which will be the same colour but the sitting room will be Farrow and Ball arsenic (dark green-blue) with a sea theme and various classic pictures of the sea such as the John Waterhouses, "Circe Invidiosa"and mermaids. We also have a mini woodburner in that room so it's very cosy.
    The woodburning central heating doesn't warm up the house as much as gas central heating does so we're having mega insulation put in everywhere, doors between every room and very thick curtains so it should be very warm indeed eventually.

My rayburn is in and on fire!!! YAY

cooking curry on it at the moment

We just replaced all the locks and installed double-sided deadbolts in the doors, and the shed. I had suspected that someone tried to break into the back door. The front door had hardware that looked about 50 years old, so it was quite a task.

VBB, my camera is currently broken, but as soon as I can take a picture, I'll post it of my garage as that is now the only thing I can't lock.

While we're on the subject of security, is there any way I can keep people out of my yard without having to padlock my gates (and have 50 keys on my set) and put barbwire on the fence? The neighborhood kids are always going into my yard, which I usually didn't mind, until my vegetables were stolen and my bike tires slashed. I plan of starting and expanding my garden this spring, but I'd hate to spend all that time and effort, and get none of my vegetables again. I have this HUGE separate yard, MADE for a garden, and I'm determined to have it. (The fence is short, and can be easily jumped by even the little kids)

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Cumin knows a company that sells stable matting who I contacted a few weeks ago. They have a new product coming in the new year that is exactly like that (2cm high, of which over 1cm is feet). It comes in interlocking tiles, is slightly textured and is designed to be warming/insulating too.
    They have stock now and I have a sample on my desk

All I need to do now is decide whether or not I want to put £450 on my credit card.....

BlackCats

Quote Hemlock View Post
    I know what you mean! We painted our kitchen bright red to avoid the cream and beige thing and it looked bloody awful - like a whorehouse
    (We have just painted our living room red and my husband wasn't keen on it as he said it would look like a brothel.)

Can anyone help me please, does anyone know what you do with an old bathroom suite? Do you have to hire a skip or will the council take it or is there any eco-friendly way of disposing of it? I can't seem to find much information on the net.

I took mine to the tip in the back of my car.

The bathtub was steel so went in metal recycling along with the taps, the rest went in with hardcore, so I guess will be used by builders.