Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Earthlings

Default Earthlings

EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity’s absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called “non-human providers.” The film is narrated by Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix (GLADIATOR) and features music by the critically acclaimed platinum artist Moby.

With an in-depth study into pet stores, puppy mills and animals shelters, as well as factory farms, the leather and fur trades, sports and entertainment industries, and finally the medical and scientific profession, EARTHLINGS uses hidden cameras and never before seen footage to chronicle the day-to-day practices of some of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit. Powerful, informative and thought-provoking, EARTHLINGS is by far the most comprehensive documentary ever produced on the correlation between nature, animals, and human economic interests. There are many worthy animal rights films available, but this one transcends the setting. EARTHLINGS cries to be seen. Highly recommended!

Default Re: Earthlings

sounds very interesting!!! nice to see there's a "high-profile" documentary on this sort of subject. i'll definitely download it!!
    Piggy

I'd love to see it. I hope they make it available on DVD soon.

Wow, this really does sound amazing!
    Is it not going to cinema?

Blueshark

I purchased this on dvd a few months ago.

Watched it once. It is very hard hitting, with very shocking footage.

I think it is worth watching, but be prepared

Default Films with an AR message

Aint It Cool news has a positive review of Earthlings.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22845

Default Amazing Animal Rights Docu "Earthlings"

Hey everyone,

I heard about this documentary Joaquin Phoenix narrates and found out it has been rather talked about. Anyway, you can watch it online (link below) which I started to do tonight. Anyway, it is really really INTENSE. I watched 30 mins before I turned it off. I got upset and I felt so adament about veganism for animals sake (my first reason was enviro, health then animals). It's just..woah. So, that's a recommendation and a forewarning...it really is intense. I talked to my carnivore friend straight after and begged him to watch it, just so he's informed...because you can just see the right thing to do by the pain in the animals eyes.

Default Re: Amazing Animal Rights Doco "Earthlings"

Ohhhh, thanks for that link! I've been wanting to watch this one! I didn't know where I'd be able to rent it either.
    If at first you don't succeed, laugh as you set it ablaze!

feral

I got to the slaughter house bit before bottling it, think it'll have to be watched in stages wea lots of hankies.. thanks for the link.

I wish there was some way to force all non-vegans to watch this! I'll definitely try to get my mom to watch it. Thank you for the link.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Thanks for the link. Lately I've been questioning my own beliefs as to why I am vegan and starting have thoughts of being lacto-ovo. I just felt disillushioned with veganism and lost. But thank you for this video. I am regaining my faith. I got up to 40 minutes and now I'm taking a quick bread (too hard to watch in a sitting). I am making myself watch the whole thing. I am also going to post this around the internet on other forums and communities (even the non-veg ones!).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Geoff

I bought the DVD and it arrived on Friday but I haven't watched it yet as I need to be in the right mood. (Either feeling really positive or seriously depressed when things couldn't be any worse!)

feral

Isn't it funny Geoff how when we reach our middle ground (emotionally) we don't want to move the perimeters for fear of loosing our footing? I'm exactly the same as you when it comes to being in the right mood to tackle things like this, either high enough to deal or low enough that it'll not make things worse.

Thanks. I know Peaceable Kingdom is also on Google Video, anyone know if Tribe Of Heart's other film "The Witness" is available online?

FR

Watching now. Will watch Peaceable Kingdom next.

FR

Wow, what a powerful video. I swear, most of you all will not like what I am about to say, but everyone who eats animals and knows what they go through, I don't care who they are, deserve every possible disease and health disorder they are exposed to as a result. And slaughter house workers, wow, they are some of the worst scum to walk the earth.

I'm not trying to hear all that, "you give vegans a bad name", "how can you expect people to go vegan with those views" crap. People who eat animals, and are too stupid to change their ways after being presented with information like this video, who really cares about them? I don't. People need to be compassionate and need to stop making excuses for their non-compassionate ways, period.

Quote FR
    Wow, what a powerful video. I swear, most of you all will not like what I am about to say, but everyone who eats animals and knows what they go through, I don't care who they are, deserve every possible disease and health disorder they are exposed to as a result. And slaughter house workers, wow, they are some of the worst scum to walk the earth.

I'm not trying to hear all that, "you give vegans a bad name", "how can you expect people to go vegan with those views" crap. People who eat animals, and are too stupid to change their ways after being presented with information like this video, who really cares about them? I don't. People need to be compassionate and need to stop making excuses for their non-compassionate ways, period.
    I definitely wouldn't quibble with this viewpoint in the red mist of just having watched a load of animal abuse as you just did. To survive and get by in a non-vegan though we tend to then calm down, be more accepting of animal abuse and yes even stick our heads back in the metaphorical sand to get by with reasonable mental health. Every scene shown in these films is going on somewhere every second of the day and we are powerless to prevent it.

Anyway I haven't seen Earthings yet, so I'll be in the same boat as you are now after I've finished surely.

FR

This video covers almost every angle of animal abuse. The masses really need to see this. Thanks for posting the link.

sugarmouse

Were you really gettin liek that tigerlily?why
    thankyou for that link i am downloading it.FR, i feel exactly the same way sometimes .the onlytime i do not is when i am not thinking at all.generaly, peiople are sick minded in my opinion, to live how they do.

FR

Most humans really are sick-minded. We, as a whole show ourselves to be truly horrible creatures. Why is that? Even those who do good, offset their goodness with horrible traits. Why, though? That is really perplexing. Videos like this make me more determined to constantly be mindful of my actions and try to correct areas in which I still need to improve. It’s knowing the truths of what is going on which makes me never question my veganism and only makes me proud that I am different than the masses, and that there are like-minded folks who feel the same way. There are so many issues on so many levels, and it seems overwhelming. It really is hard getting through to people who are ignorant or know no other way.

BTW, Here's: Peaceable Kingdom

All animals are made up of selfish genes. Priorities being survival, safety, breeding and replicating genes. Even when any animal cares for assists another it is to ingratiate themselves and enhance their own future security by safety in numbers.

Rather than evil, human flawed selfish nature just happen to have the capabilities to be so much more destructive and willfully complicit in mass suffering due to science/technology in the main. There are other issues to this granted.

Then of course you have wrongly wired minority freaks like us who care beyond not only about ourselves but even other species.

veggiesosage

I'm watching it in small pieces. I'm not normally squeamish but this really is relelntless in its depiction of horror and misery. Be interesting to see if it ever makes it onto TV, maybe More 4 in the UK?

I could never watch it. I tried just now, but broke down in the first 10 minutes. Those who are able to sit through the entire programme, my hats off to you.

There is no need for me to see this. I am already a vegan, and sensible enough to understand how mean and selfish mankind in general is.

I will however pass it on to my carnivore friends, and see if they can comprehend the atrocities being performed in their name.
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

tabitha

Im not sure I can do it either Kiran after reading some of the posts Although I think I should sit and watch it with my meateating family, but I doubt if they would sit through it.

FR

I cried watching it, and I cried watching Peaceable Kingdom. I feel the need to watch these things for the useful information and first hand documentation they provide. Peaceable Kingdom is great because it shows the efforts put forth by a wonderful organization, Farm Sanctuary, and its workforce. It also shows interviews former dairy, egg, and animal farmers and gives their accounts on how they went vegan. Sad tears, and tears of joy are the result.

Is there an online version of Peaceable Kingdom?

FR

I posted a link to Peaceable Kingdom in the 14th reply to this thread.

Whoops.

I wrote about this documentary, in another thread, before I knew this thread existed. I too saw it all at once, a couple of days ago. I can understand, why some of you don't want to see it!! But personally, I want to see it, because even though it hurts me more than anything, it gives me strengt, to do more good for the animals...
    But you should buy it, even if you don't want to see it - it's such a great "weapon", against meateaters..!! Show it to people, in who you see just the smallest hope, of a future vegetarian or vegan

[Edit: post removed. Links to illegal copies of copyrighted material is not allowed here. We're supposed to support Tribe of Heart - not steal from them!]
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 12th, 2006 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Link removed

Quote Tigerlily
    ...."Lately I've been questioning my own beliefs as to why I am vegan and starting have thoughts of being lacto-ovo..."
    Tigerlilly, I'm shocked to hear this!!! I'm pretty new on this board but everytime I see your posts I'm so impressed with what you have to say and the courage you have at 18 to take on this lifestyle (I hope I don't sound condesending with the age comment, as I'm not much older than you it just that at 18 I wasn't doing anything of substance or nearly as profound as what you are doing).

Why are you questioning? Do you feel hopeless? Sometimes I feel that way but I just think, "Hey, maybe I won't change the world, or even one person with this, but I feel so good just knowing that no animal will ever suffer on my account - I can do my part".
    "Destiny, or karma, depends upon what the soul has done about what it has become aware of."
    --
    Edgar Cayce

Geoff

Quote The_Lincoln_Imp
    VHS rip of The Witness (DVD quality will be up soon)
    Is that 'rip' as in rip off / steal?

My copy of The Witness says that its copyright 2004 Tribe of Heart Ltd.
    Are you seriously suggesting that we should steal from an organisation that is doing such good work?

Thanks, Geoff. The link is removed now.

Quote The_Lincoln_Imp
    [Edit: post removed. Links to illegal copies of copyrighted material is not allowed here. We're supposed to support Tribe of Heart - not steal from them!]
    The films are also animal rights propaganda best seen by as wide an audience as possible. How else would they get seen by the masses? They surely won't pay for the chance to see.

Anyway The Witness will soon be on google video in DVD quality so no dofferent to the Peaceable kingdom link earlier in the thread.

Geoff

Tribe of Heart have a deal where you can buy 10 copies of The Witness for $100, on the understanding that they are to be given away, so anyone who wants to get it out in the public domain can do that and donate copies to schools,, libraries etc.

Default Re: Amazing Animal Rights Docu "Earthlings"

I definitely want as many as possible to see this movie, Lincoln Imp. There are a lot of books, DVDs that should be seen by as wide an audience as possible. But: it's up to the copyright owners to decide how their material shall be distributed. We always remove links to non-authorized downloads here, and if there's a link to illegal download sites we are not aware of, we'll look at that too. If the copyright owners remove the copyright, and/or if it's clear that they are OK with free copying/downloading, of curse you can post links. If it's not 100% clear, we have to remove them. We have removed links to a number of illegal MP3 download sites as well.

Geoff wrote that it says "copyright 2004 Tribe of Heart Ltd" on his copy, so it's definitely not clear to me that Tribe Of Heart is OK with copying - but if they are, no problem. Just let me know....

There is a 7 minute clip of the movie here, on their own webiste:

http://www.isawearthlings.com/7minutes.html

Geoff

Quote The_Lincoln_Imp
    The films are also animal rights propaganda best seen by as wide an audience as possible. How else would they get seen by the masses? They surely won't pay for the chance to see.
    If we don't support people like Tribe of Heart by buying from them, they won't have the money to make and distribute films will they?
    Stealing from them is unethical and damaging to the animal rights cause.

Geoff

Quote Korn

Geoff wrote that it says "copyright 2004 Tribe of Heart Ltd" on his copy, so it's definitely not clear to me that Tribe Of Heart is OK with copying - but if they are, no problem. Just let me know....
    It also says on my copy, which I got from Tribe of Heart, 3 weeks ago:
    'Please do not duplicate, televise or transmit in any manner. All other uses by permission only.'

Quote Geoff
    If we don't support people like Tribe of Heart by buying from them, they won't have the money to make and distribute films will they?
    True. Even if they would have posted the whole movie on their own site for free download, they deserve all the support they can get to make more movies like this.

Quote Kiran
    I could never watch it. I tried just now, but broke down in the first 10 minutes. Those who are able to sit through the entire programme, my hats off to you.

There is no need for me to see this. I am already a vegan, and sensible enough to understand how mean and selfish mankind in general is.

I will however pass it on to my carnivore friends, and see if they can comprehend the atrocities being performed in their name.
    I take my hat off to you Kiran.... I am in no fit state to watch even 10 seconds of it - am in a very unhappy stage in my life and know I can't cope - sometimes I can. Like you, I know I am a good vegan and I don't need to watch a video clip to remind me what's going on, I never forget. I may watch it at some stage....

Quote Geoff
    Tribe of Heart have a deal where you can buy 10 copies of The Witness for $100, on the understanding that they are to be given away, so anyone who wants to get it out in the public domain can do that and donate copies to schools,, libraries etc.
    Not everyone has a credit card, DVD player, or is in the correct region to even play the DVD for sale. Of course I don't begrudge Tribe Of Heart finance but it does seem a strange message to enforce that only buying vegans in the main would ever get to see it.

Anyway like I said Peaceable Kingdom by Tribe Of Heart is linked to here and thats available on DVD as is the topic of this thread Earthlings.

Quote Korn
    There is a 7 minute clip of the movie here, on their won webiste:

http://www.isawearthlings.com/7minutes.html
    That seven minute clip is online only exclusive content. It isn't from the film proper. There is however a promo trailer.

FR

I think if Tribe of Heart has a problem with a low quality version of their video being able to be viewed for free, their issue is with Google since it is being provided by their video service. Also, they can require that a fee be paid to view it on Google Video like some of their other content providers do.

The Google version is of lower quality, and the download provided is a link to the stream of it for those who have a Google Video player. The download available is not formatted for burning to DVD or VCD.

I think before jumping to conclusions, someone should contact Tribe of Heart and see what their views are on the free viewing of the low quality version of the video.

Quote FR
    I think before jumping to conclusions, someone should contact Tribe of Heart and see what their views are on the free viewing of the low quality version of the video.
    Agree.

Quote FR
    The Google version is of lower quality, and the download provided is a link to the stream of it for those who have a Google Video player. The download available is not formatted for burning to DVD or VCD.
    Through the google links I've downloaded Earthlings, The Witness and Peacebale Kingdom. All play independent of needing the google video player. The quality is near perfect also. Perhaps the answer copyright aside would be to give donation links with video URLs and encourage that.

Also it's a shame if The Witness DVD contains no extras aside from a 43 minute film. PK is undergoing a DVD re-release with new bonus features which is good incentive.

Geoff

Quote FR
    Done.

Quote monkey60613
    Tigerlilly, I'm shocked to hear this!!! I'm pretty new on this board but everytime I see your posts I'm so impressed with what you have to say and the courage you have at 18 to take on this lifestyle (I hope I don't sound condesending with the age comment, as I'm not much older than you it just that at 18 I wasn't doing anything of substance or nearly as profound as what you are doing).

Why are you questioning? Do you feel hopeless? Sometimes I feel that way but I just think, "Hey, maybe I won't change the world, or even one person with this, but I feel so good just knowing that no animal will ever suffer on my account - I can do my part".
    I shouldn't have made those comments, but it's too late to edit them out, enough people have already seen them. My reasonings are my own business and I do not feel comfortable explaining any further.

Geoff

I don't know exactly which comments you're referring to but I haven't seen anything of yours that 'shouldn't have been said.'
    Not enough people express how they really feel and, of course, feelings change from moment to moment.
    I still love you possum.

Aww thanks.

I don't have a problem with what you wrote, Tigerlily...

Geoff, let's know Tribe of Heart's views on free downloads when they contact you! Thanks!