Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Earthlings

Default Re: Amazing Animal Rights Docu "Earthlings"

Quote Kiran
    I could never watch it. I tried just now, but broke down in the first 10 minutes. Those who are able to sit through the entire programme, my hats off to you.

There is no need for me to see this. I am already a vegan, and sensible enough to understand how mean and selfish mankind in general is.
    I feel the same as you. I don't watch the documentaries on TV (I saw a few mins of 'slaughterhouse' by mistake ) because it's so upsetting and I'm vegan already.

However, I have seen 'Earthlings'. All the way through, although I had to look away many times. I hadn't realised QUITE how brutal and seemingly lacking in all sensitivity some people were.

I'm really glad that I watched it. I feel really * - there isn't a word really is there? I realise that I am far too tolerant of the meat eaters around me. My sister, for example, eats meat. She is good about me being vegan, so in return I thought I should respect her decision to eat meat. Of course I don't respect it, I just don't say the things that I know I could which would be upsetting for her. I think she should see this film - and I think I should stop keeping quiet.

I know what you mean Cherry.
    I have just watched the entire 'earthlings', and it's not a happy watch. I have seen a lot of AR footage, and I have seen a lot of what is shown in this film. There is much I hadn't seen, but it didn't surprise me.
    This might sound weird, but the reason I watch this kind of stuff, (and trust me, I have to force myself to-I don't enjoy it) is because I feel I owe it to every animal that loses it's life in a horrific act because of my species.

I feel responsible, and so many people are not accountable for this kind of action, I just want to shoulder a bit of the burden and maybe a little of the blame on behalf of millions of other people and I really don't want the animals of the world to think that I turn aside because it is too harrowing, after all, they can't It really is the least I can do.

It is harrowing, and I wish beyond all wishes that this would stop right now, but it won't, and while it goes on I see no reason to cover my eyes. Too many people do that for my liking anyway. (I mean heartless ignorant people, not tearful vegans ) It keeps me focused, strengthens my resolve, and above all, ensures that I know - really know my life and all that I do is as right as it can be. My conscience is clean.

*stops ranting and exhales deeply*

I watched it in full last night. I was suprised at how good the quality of it was in terms of res/fps/compression - we watched it on a standard 28" TV and it looked like a dvd.

I think it was excellent film and will recomend people watch it, however I think it could have gone further than it did. From a crtical standpoint I think the main problems with it is age of footage and country specific info. It is very much an american film targetted at american audiences. With not much extra I think it could have been more broad and shown footage from multiple countries, as it's easy for example for UK viewers to just dismiss it as being american and not the way things happen here. A lot of the footage was old and hence people could say outdated and no longer relevent. This is true across the AR movement, a lot of pics from the 70s and 80s are still being used and sometimes out of context (such as using photos from vivisection experiments which no longer take place to describe current practices). Certainly they tug on heartstrings, but don't actually stand up to analysis. There needs to be more facts from creditable sources - undercover footage is generally dismissed by people as being either staged or one off cases. I personally think it's better to show undercover footage then show an impartial well known expert talk through what has just been shown.

I think it was good to show all aspects of animal exploitation, but a unproportionate amount of time I feel was spent on entertainment. At the trade off of showing several minutes of footage of elephants in zoos there was little to no mention of laying hens, wool, silk etc.

It is a good film, but it's far from a 90 minute round trip of the reasons to be vegan.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Geoff

I just got a reply from James LaVeck (Producer, Peaceable Kingdom and The Witness)
    He says: 'While an activist who starts streaming our films online without our permission surely has the best of intentions, and will in the short term, reach a certain number of people not being reached right now, longer term, and in the larger view, what they're doing can quite easily become detrimental to our efforts. We are well aware of online streaming technology, and when we determine that doing so will do the most good for the cause, we will do it and do it right. Until then, we hope that people who care about animals will understand and respect our right to make decisions about the use of artwork we created.'

The above is an extract from a much longer email, which is worth reading in it's entirety but, I felt, a bit long to post. If anyone wants to read it, please PM me with an email address and I'll forward it.

Default Re: Earthlings

Thanks.

Without having seen the whole post, I assume that they don't want links to free download sites (like ie. Google) which has copies of the movie then?

veggiewoman

Does anybody know the website address , I cant seem to find it tonight. Wanna show my friend it.
    Anyone?thx lol

Quote veggiewoman View Post
    Does anybody know the website address , I cant seem to find it tonight. Wanna show my friend it.
    Anyone?thx lol
    visit http://veg-tv.info/Earthlings

The link doesn't work for me

satirecafe

i'm afraid to watch earthlings because i think it will make me even more angry and frustated and misanthropic.

I recently watched Earthlings, I cried..alot, then was physically sick then just got horribly angry and wanted to smash stuff...

Saying that, I'd be a bit concerned about the psychological state of anyone who could watch that and be unaffected..

Powerful film.
    Vegan flu, spreading clear skin and shiney hair..FAST!

The problem with the movie is that if I show it to meateaters they will say that its not necessarily like that - that the film only portrays some extreme situations and that the slaughtering is usually done "humanly". Here in Dk the killing of animals are mostly done by machines (because ppl dont want to think about this part of the process i.e. Eternal Treblinka). A lot of my schoolmates grew up on farms and cant relate to the pictures shown in the film.

A friend of mine told me he visited Island on a school trip. They watched a slaughter of a sheep and everyone was terrified. Some of the girls started weeping, and some thought they were about to throw up because of all the blood.... They had lamb for dinner that evening.
    Its better to address peoples senses than their emotions.

I would like to see a documentary that doesnt show all these awful pictures, but that is logical, sensible and enlightning. That way there will be no excuses.

Quote lil_miss_tashwa View Post

Saying that, I'd be a bit concerned about the psychological state of anyone who could watch that and be unaffected.
    I have a few of these animal right films (including Earthlings) and I used to lend them out to friends and family, I still do sometimes, but I find it even harder to then watch the same people eating meat like they are totally unaffected... or hearing comments like "The movie wasn't THAT bad"... Actually, someone said that about Earthlings! It honestly makes me wonder about their ability to empathize with other beings, and sometimes I'd rather not know this side of people just for my own sanity. If people are ignorant around animal suffering issues is one thing, but to see that someone accepts the facts and have no trouble supporting it is extremely difficult for me to understand and accept.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

This movie changed my life and brought my boyfriend and I to veganism I just wanted to give a shout out!

Agree, an impressive movie.

Josef

Default Earthlings and Libraries

i have absolutely no idea if i'm posting in the proper forum...

so, i live in the bay area and from the library searches i've done, among the oakland, berkeley and san francisco library systems, the only copy of Earthlings that exists is at my branch, because i donated it. so, since i have a guilt complex for not being more involved in AR issues, and because i have nothing better to do with my money, i'm going to buy 20 copies to distribute among the various local branches (i emailed the people at the Earthlings website and they say if you order 10, they'll give you 10 free).

so i've got a good portion of the bay area covered (at least SF and the east bay) but there are a lot of libraries in the world, and if bay area libraries don't carry this, imagine how few others do.

so this is kind of a campaign to encourage people to distribute copies of Earthlings (or whatever decent vegan propaganda--although i think film is best) to their local library branches. perhaps we can keep a tally here. it seems like it could be one of the more effective and least intrusive ways of advocating AR. right? no?

Default Re: Earthlings and Libraries

interesting idea. next is getting people to seek it out.

just a thought...but i think its widely available on the (also widely available) internet these days...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Josef

Default Re: Earthlings and Libraries

but it's different when the film is sitting on the library shelf, free, begging to be checked out. the copy i have at my branch (where i work) has already been checked out several times. there are patrons who make a habit of checking out everything they see, and there are others that are addicted to documentaries. ultimately, if it ends up influencing the living and thinking habits of just one person, i'd say it's worthwhile.

*live*&*let*live

Default Distress and Earthlings

Having read so much about this docu and feeling drawn to watch it, I only got through the first 20 minutes or so, just after they put that poor poor dog in the DUSTCART FOR F*CKS SAKE!! I have not stopped thinking about it all day and cried and cried for ages. The thing that REALLY upset me was my OH who watched the first bit with me decided to start a debate with me. He said I was not emotionally equipped to watch such programmes and said that it is 'instinct' for humans to eat meat. I went ballistic and said that how as a vegetarian can he say that? If it was instinct why wasn't he in the field right now killing a rabbit? Eventually he apologised when I explained what he said was totally off the wall, IMO. Dropping a huge brick on a pig and carrying a pup by its neck whilst it wagged his tail I mean COME ON!! would it have hurt him to give it a cuddle??!!

I asked him if he could look Elsie (our dog) in the eye and then a cow, and kill one of them? He said I was being ridiculous and he couldn't do either. I asked him what was the difference betwen a 'pet' and 'lunch'? He said I was taking it far too seriously and he hadn't meant anything by it??? I asked him why he had become veggie if he thought like that? He said that part of it was to please me and part was because he had fallen in love with Elsie and couldn't imagine ever eating meat again. I really don't understand him sometimes.

He said he was trying to make me see 'the other side' but as I was not willing to accept anyone else's point of view, he may as well shut up. I said that what he said wasn't fair, and why on EARTH did he think I was vegan?!!!! He said not to watch the remainder of the film as I really wouldn't cope with it and I didn't need to see it. I said that meant (to me) that I was turning a blind eye and I didn't want to do that. He said that I knew what went on.

The dustcart was a new one on me and I really CAN'T get the image out of my head. Can anyone help me with this????! PLEASE?? I don't know how I will sleep tonight, just the thought of that poor, poor dog and his little face just sitting there, after being dragged through the streets. BASTARDS!!!!!

Sorry to those of you who haven't watched this programme.

I have not watched it (I started and could not cope).

I dont think it is turning a blind eye to anything. You KNOW those things are happening, you dont need to see them to be sensitive to them.

There are MANY things that I know are happening, I care about them yet I do not want to see because they are painful and hardly help me (or others) in any positive way (examples: men beating women up, rape, dog fights, child abuse... DO you need to see that to care about it?)

I think you are right to be upset but at the moment you are being too emotional to have a good chat with your OH... I think people can solve problems better without shocking images in their minds.

The film is awesome to show meat eaters what their habits involve but I dont think it is a film for vegans (IMO!)

Hey Live&LetLive, I know the bit with the dog only too well.

The whole film will make anyone angry and upset (it did me), and your OH timed that comment very badly! I find it's never a good time to have a debate on ethics when I've just watched some of the most hideous cases of animal abuse. As for his comments during the film, it might be a defensive thing, sounds like he's been a meat eater up until recently (and might still be had he not met you, so you've already done a good deed there!). He probably still has some 'meaty' thinking, which is fine - most people do, and it's great that he watched it with you, it will sit in his mind

It's been a while, I actually want to re-watch it. I heard there's a longer edition version out?

Do you think the two of you will go back to watching it again?

Well done you for even starting to watch it, it may upset you to watch the rest but it will only confirm that you are 100% doing the right thing, by being Vegan

Good on you!

*live*&*let*live

I dont think it is turning a blind eye to anything. You KNOW those things are happening, you dont need to see them to be sensitive to them.

There are MANY things that I know are happening, I care about them yet I do not want to see because they are painful and hardly help me (or others) in any positive way (examples: men beating women up, rape, dog fights, child abuse... DO you need to see that to care about it?)

Yes I see your point, which is what my OH I think meant, but he doesn't come across too well at times! I was not in the mood to make allowances for his seemingly lack of empathy as I was too distraught. Thanks for your response.

*live*&*let*live

Hey Purple! Hope you are enjoying your new car.

Yep you are right he has only been veggie for about six months. I never asked him to make the change, as I don't feel that would have been right. He did come round to the way of thinking himself and I hope he doesn't go round telling everyone he did it to 'please me' as I want him to do it for his own reasons - and we all know what they are. (plus it sounds very lame and like I am a control freak! Moi?! NEVER!)

I may try to attempt it but only in very small snippets, does it get much worse???

Never heard of an extended version OMG couldn't ever bear that sorry precious animals but I can't have any more images burned into my brain, frustrating and distressing me to the very core of my being as I can't DO anything!! I would LOVE to scoop them all up and the humans too who are going through it/gone through it and make them all well and happy. I know that is never gonna happen and I sound like I'm bonkers so will shut up now!
    Thanks for replying. :smile:
    Last edited by *live*&*let*live; Jun 29th, 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: addition

Haha, no worries! I know what you mean... doing it 'for' you sounds like you're pushy and controlling, whereas doing it 'because' of you is slightly different and means you were the person that pointed all that out to him

As for the film getting worse, hmmm hard to say. How long is the film? I had a feeling the version I watched was about 30 or 40 minutes? If so you're already half way through!

Spoiler (if there is such a thing with a film like this!): There is a bit with some kittens but personally I didn't find that as bad as the dog part as they were already dead from what I remember.

I think the hardest part is deciding to watch it in the first place, to be honest

Not enjoying the new car yet, as I don't actually get it until September!! (Apparently Italy goes to sleep in August?). Thanks for asking though

*live*&*let*live

Hi Purple

The version I was watching was on for just over 1hr 30 mins so I guess this must be the extended version....
    I can post a link if you want to watch it?
    I'm not going to do it unless you or someone asks for it just in case we have some very young people on here and I really don't advocate them watching. In fact, pm me may be best. That way they will have to look for it themselves and I don't get any irate parents yelling at me!
    Hope you get your car before Italy goes to sleep for a month ?!

Hiya, yeah send me a pm with the link in, that would be great

That sounds longer, I swear I watched it in 3 parts on youtube, and they were around 10 or 15 mins per part. Maybe I only saw bits of it

Nope, Italy is going to have a month off before they give me my new Mito! Oh well, it'll be worth the wait

*live*&*let*live

PM done with link!

Default Re: Amazing Animal Rights Doco "Earthlings"

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Lately I've been questioning my own beliefs as to why I am vegan and starting have thoughts of being lacto-ovo. I just felt disillushioned with veganism and lost.
    Although it's good to know the movie helped you regain your confidence in your veganism, it's sad to see you were becoming disillusioned.

You have friends here with whom you can discuss your disillusionment. No-one here would like to lose you, if you felt that way again!

Can you say what specifically you were feeling? It might help others. Veganism shouldn't be difficult, though I know for some it might be. If anything, I'm getting harder with my veganism now, less tolerant of omnivorism. I like to think I'm moving further into veganism.

Hope you're upbeat!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

BTW, from the comments so far, I don't think I could watch this video.

Thankfully, I don't need to.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

This movie made me cry. After watching it, I felt so horrible fo being human. I could hardly live with myself. As I was only a one week old vegan then, I'm glad I watched it though. It strengthened my convictions and told me what I was doing was right.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

*live*&*let*live

Default Re: Amazing Animal Rights Doco "Earthlings"

Quote DavidT View Post
    Although it's good to know the movie helped you regain your confidence in your veganism, it's sad to see you were becoming disillusioned.

You have friends here with whom you can discuss your disillusionment. No-one here would like to lose you, if you felt that way again!

Can you say what specifically you were feeling? It might help others. Veganism shouldn't be difficult, though I know for some it might be. If anything, I'm getting harder with my veganism now, less tolerant of omnivorism. I like to think I'm moving further into veganism.

Hope you're upbeat!
    Hi David
    Tigerlilly commented in 2006 and as she is still here I guess she is doing well! What happened was that I started a thread called 'distress and earthlings' and it was linked by admin to 'earthlings' which was started three years ago. It makes it look like it is all a new thread but it isn't, so please don't worry you are very kind!! :smile:

DUH! Just re-read your post and I noticed the word again in your sentence sorry!
    Last edited by *live*&*let*live; Jun 30th, 2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: addition

Earthlings left me feeling upset for days but somehow I felt I had to watch it because so many others wont.

I want to watch it again but know it'll upset me.

I think all omnis should be made to watch it. Like they say in the film (something like) those who cause this to happen do not deserve to be spared from seeing it.

Although it upset me, I feel it brought me closer to 'the truth'.

Thanks, l&ll.

Oh this video was amazing. Truly. It's pushed me to go from a total veggie to a vegan. I cried when I watched it. It opened my eyes in a very disturbing way. I love films that make you want to shut your eyes and wish it wasn't so. But what amazes me even more is that people can watch this and not be heart broken. It's so sad.

How anyone can still eat meat and go on like nothing happened within them after watching this movie is WAY beyond me... I can't understand it, I really can't...
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Good news guys! The company that made Earthlings are making a sequel!

I was in contact with the company for a university project that I was working on and the gentleman I was corresponding with told me this:

"We are currently working on the followup to Earthlings titled
    "Unity". Where Earthlings presented a human condition - our ability
    to inflict so much harm based on our dependence on animals - Unity
    examines where this condition comes from and presents ideas on how to
    overcome the condition not only in treatment of animals but in
    general. I have attached the synopsis of the film to this email for
    your review."

Does anyone know how I can attach the document?

*live*&*let*live

Hi Rebecca

Don't know if it's 'good news' or not for me....emotional overload
    Sorry not sure how to attach a document, hopefully one of the techies will be able to assist, I am hit and miss just getting my links to work!

Quote Rebbecca View Post
    Does anyone know how I can attach the document?
    Can you just copy and paste? If the document is in Word format it will be possible, also PDF if the text isn't protected.

Default Please help to get Earthlings shown on Channel 4

From friend's email.Thanks.

Channel 4 is considering showing the animal rights film, Earthlings, but would like to hear their viewers opinions.
    Please contact Channel 4 to let them know you would like to see it shown
    on TV.
    Email:_ viewerenquiries@channel4.com_

Default Re: Please help to get Earthlings shown on Channel 4

Who says they're considering it?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    Who says they're considering it?
    The email appears from vegancampaigns@lists.rbgi.net originally, I search on Vegancampaigns mailing list on google, it comes out this website: http://www.vegancampaigns.org.uk/aboutus.html

It says:
    Contact

If you would like more information about the vegan diet or would like to get involved, please contact us via the form below, or any of the other contact methods. If you would like to join our mailing list, email vegancampaigns(at)lists.rbgi.net

RebeccaDye

Risker, Channel 4 submitted a poll about showing it.

Quote RebeccaDye View Post
    Risker, Channel 4 submitted a poll about showing it.
    were is this poll at? I can't find anything by google

I've just watched 45 minutes.
    I am in total shock. I feel such anger and such a sense of powerlessness. Like you Cherry, I will watch it all and I will speak up more.
    We get complacent, being vegan, thinking that's enough, signing a few petitions, attending a few events - this shakes you out of your comfort zone. Maybe part of the anger I feel is at my own self-deception, that I'm doing enough when after watching this I can say that I blatantly am not.
    Dear God, to think this is happening now, as I type, on and on and on. I can switch off after 45 minutes. They can't. For them - it's forever until their gruesome death. Multiple gruesome deaths year in year out

How anyone can just ignore its intended impact and calmly disect the film in order to weigh dispassionately it's relative merits and failings - I don't know if that shows a startling maturity or callous moral superiority.
    Maybe after I'll be better placed to answer that when I've watched the second half.

I'm 40 minutes in. I'm sitting here at work watching it (kind of) and shaking with rage.
    I have to keep stopping it before I lose my cool. I haven't been this angry in a long time and I'm not sure that I should continue to watch it. Seeing the man beat that pig to death was probably the cruelest thing I've ever witnessed. I'm glad I became a vegan more now than ever.

I'll definitely be sharing this video with my family and posting it on facebook.
    Oooooohhh, I sense disturbing Christmas present!!!

I know, that bit, the beating of that poor pig; the dog in the refuse truck, I mean that was just utterly unbelievable; and the cow that had been "killed" kosher style, with its throat hanging out, trying to stand up and then hung from a leg and struggling all the way to the next "stage". Even the scalding when they are still alive.... I just kept asking, "what is wrong with these people?" "what is wrong that they can do this?"
    I will watch the rest next week, I don't know why I find the distress of it so all consuming when others do not. I do wish I were stronger.
    Even if the footage is old, swine flu is proof that the conditions for pigs right now continue to be completely unacceptable. And, human nature being what it is, someone somewhere will be proving their something or other by killing a defenseless creature, child or person.

Earthlings is the film that made me go vegan. I had been vegetarian for a number of years but after seeing Earthlings I decided I had to have nothing to do with such cruelty.

JC

I've just tried to watch it, i've only gone 30 mins, and i don't think i can take much more. I feel physically sick, i've got mascara all down my face and i feel so so angry. The people in that film are evil, i can't find a stronger word to express my hatred for anyone who treats any living being that way. But the fact that they lack the ethics to do that in the first place at least justifies why they eat meat. Ok, you're a sick **** and you CAN kill. Fair enough. But those people who claim ignorance. They're the worst. They say they love animals and they've got loads of pets. But they also love meat - they couldn't kill something themselves though. They wait until it's all packaged up in tesco. It's ok though, the animals frolic in the fields until they're too old and then they're gently put to sleep. Come on. They know what goes on, and pretending it doesn't happen doesn't make it not so. I'd defy any 'animal lover' to watch that and not go vegan. I've always wanted to try to 'fit in' whilst being vegan, not make too much of a song and dance about it. But forget that, how can you sit back and smile whilst your 'friends' tell you it's the food chain?? After that, i don't care if i put someone off their sunday dinner, ignorance should not be an excuse.

^ I know what you mean. A couple months after I watched it the first time, I went to watch it again and couldn't get passed the first 20 minutes before I broke down crying. I had to rant to my mom after that. I was just so: "!!!"

Quote hullabaloo View Post
    Earthlings is the film that made me go vegan. I had been vegetarian for a number of years but after seeing Earthlings I decided I had to have nothing to do with such cruelty.
    Me too. I had gone total veggie after reading Skinny Bitch. Then I saw Earthlings, cried, and consciously went vegan that same day.

Quote JC View Post
    I've always wanted to try to 'fit in' whilst being vegan, not make too much of a song and dance about it. But forget that, how can you sit back and smile whilst your 'friends' tell you it's the food chain?? After that, i don't care if i put someone off their sunday dinner, ignorance should not be an excuse.
    It's the best antidote possible for the shrinking violet vegan isn't it JC, that's how I used to be but goodness, this has strengthened me in a way that nothing else has. They at least did not suffer and die in vain if it has strengthened us to be more resilient in the face of ignorance of or indifference to the facts.

Courage mon amie, on est tous dans le meme bateau

oh god what a horrific film i found the scenes with that idiot bloke shouting at circus elephants particularly disturbing...how do these people live with themselves?
    still, it's better to take in as much information as possible on things you care about. next time i am goaded into a stupid argument about veganism i think i'll have to refer to this film.