Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan margarine

veggiewoman

Default Vegan margarine

1stly apologies as this probably has already been discussed already but I did try looking for a sim thread but coldnt find one lol.

I jsut wanted to promote Marks and Spencer dairy free margarine , it really suprised my friends and I just how good it tasted and also it is free from Palm Oil aswell.
    I will be buying that from now on
    Anybody else buy this ?

Good sperm

Default Re: dairy free spreads

It's PURE all the way for me. Definately vegan you see. Other dairy-free spreads I've seen have buttermilk or whey or milkfat in them
    Haven't seen Sainsbury's or M&S's though

It's relatively new the Sainsburys butter I think, and I try to swap between Pure and the Sainsburys one, so that they get fair share of my money

When I first went vegan I used to get sainsbury's free from marg, but then it disappeared and I discovered Pure, which I've been using since. I really like it. I also like the fact that you get a fairly big tub of it.

i've used the m+s one, its VERY good, isnt it?

my boyfriend doesnt like the green 'pure' but he likes the sunflower one, and he likes the m+s one. he says its got a really nice taste

i mostly buy pure though, cos m+s is up a hill and i cant be bothered walking there, lol. but i get it when i can.

Quote lozza
    my boyfriend doesnt like the green 'pure' but he likes the sunflower one,.

i agree with him, the yellow one wins for me too! the sunflower one seems to spread nicer too.

veggiewoman

thanks for the replies everybody , I stopped buy ing the pure spreads as soon as I found the M&S one and unlike the Pure spreads the M&S one does NOT contain palm oil which is grown by cutting down rainforests.

Can someone post the ingredient list of the M&S dairy free spread, please?
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

lol, was trying to find the ingredients list for you. and i found a 'review' of the product on the observer guardian site:

"M&S low fat dairy free sunflower spread, 38% fat, 500g, 85p. Absolutely disgusting. Manages to wrap itself round your tongue. Avoid at all costs.
    no stars"

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodm...127927,00.html

i think its quite nice actually

Exclamation Sainsburys Free From Margarine

IMHO this is the best tasting and textured vegan margarine, but Sainsbury's have stopped selling it as from June 4th. They may consider reintroducing it if enough people express a wish for it to be. If you'd like it to be reintroduced call their customer services on 0800 636262 and say you want to make a product request.

Thanks

Default Vegan Margarine

It took me years to find a nice tasting vegan margarine, but I've been using Sainsbury's Free From margarine ever since I found it. But I've discovered that they have now stopped selling it However, apparently if enough people ask for it to be restocked they will consider it. So if you like the stuff too, please contact Sainsbury's at http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/contactus/contactus.htm
    Last edited by flutterby; Jun 22nd, 2006 at 11:04 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a seperate thread.

Default Re: Vegan Margarine

Done and Done.

Sainsburys dairy free was the first nice marg to hit the market that I know of - before that I somehow got by with super manky stuff for healthfood stores. However Pure came a few months later and was a lot nicer IMHO. Sainsburys at some point got better than when it was first released, but Pure is still great and available in most supermarkets and health food stores. At a guess Sainburys are pulling their own brand to stock it instead
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I'd ask for them to stock it but I don't think we can get it in the states, so I don't think I'd be much help.
    Peace Love Surf.

Round here it has always been the other way. I've been in and there has been no Pure, only Sainsbury Free From. I prefer the Pure, too - especially as they have an organic one, which Sainsbury don't. So I'll actually be happy to see the Free From disappear.

Sainsburys only stock pure in the really large stores.

imho all margarines are harmful - it's what makes the oil go solid enough to be spread. Why not just dip your bread into a little bowl of olive oil, or spread avocado or homas on your bread?
    Eve

They're not hydrogenated, Eve - they're not really margarines, they're spreads.

A mixture of vegetable oil (rapeseed, soya or sunflower), palm fat, water and emulsifiers. Nothing too bad in there.

Waaaay back (10 years or so?) Sainsbury's did a fantastic organic marge that was also vegan. I miss the hell out of that stuff. I quite like the Free From but it's not a patch on the old stuff so I reckon we should campaign them to bring that back instead

Has anyone tried Marks and Spencers dairy free sunflower spread? It's the nicest one I've tried so far, although I haven't tried the Sainsbury's one yet!

feral

I have that in the fridge atm sandra, haven't gotten round to trying it yet though.

Quote sandra
    Has anyone tried Marks and Spencers dairy free sunflower spread? It's the nicest one I've tried so far, although I haven't tried the Sainsbury's one yet!
    Marks and Sparks are doing something dairy free??? :falls over in shock:

:gets up and runs to the high street to have a looksee:

Quote feral
    I have that in the fridge atm sandra, haven't gotten round to trying it yet though.
    Hope you like it as much as I do Feral, it doesn't seem to have that awful margariney taste others do.

Quote twinkle
    Marks and Sparks are doing something dairy free??? :falls over in shock:

:gets up and runs to the high street to have a looksee:
    Hi Twinkle, yes I was surprised too, I even emailed them to make doubly sure it was vegan and they assured me it was. They also do these 'healthy' potato rosti thingys and I checked that they were vegan, they are lovely too!

feral

Thanks sandra, the Sainsbury's one is really nice too, even melted on toast yumm

we like vitaquell or however it's spelt and suma organic safflower spread. i've not seen the freefrom marges at sainsbury's or m&s. that said, we don't have a very local sainsbury's or m&s...

what's the price like?
    hannah, 28 (vegan), bryce, 28 (ovolacto), xylia born january 2005 (vegan)

Moonshadow - the Sainsbury's Free From is about 79p, I think.

Hello moonshadow, the Marks and Spencer one is 59p for 250g.

Wow, I can't believe how cheap the vegan margarine is in the UK. I pay like 4-5 dollars (Canadian) for a tub, which is like 2-3 pounds.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

The Organic Pure one is about £1.40 ish I think (for 500g) so that's a bit closer. How big is the tub, Tigerlily?

It doesn't have grams on it, but it says it is 2 cups. It's also organic.

Quote Tigerlily
    Wow, I can't believe how cheap the vegan margarine is in the UK. I pay like 4-5 dollars (Canadian) for a tub, which is like 2-3 pounds.
    Is the margarine a supermarket own brand?

No because all margarine here contains whey unless it's that speciality brand.

Aww, that's awful, it's a shame that they ruin a good thing by putting something completely unnecessary in it.

Yeah, it's stupid.

I've been using earth balance but it has a real margariney taste. I miss becel. Why can't they just make it without whey.

i really like earth balance spread (especially the whipped kind). another good one is smart balance light, but haven't had it in a long time. the reg smart balance has whey but the light one doesn't (how weird is that?) I've seen a willow something i think it was called and it was a stick organic vegan margarine, i'd like to try that so long as there's no hydrogenated oils (though if it's organic I don't think it can)
    Peace Love Surf.

Quote Pob
    Round here it has always been the other way. I've been in and there has been no Pure, only Sainsbury Free From. I prefer the Pure, too - especially as they have an organic one, which Sainsbury don't. So I'll actually be happy to see the Free From disappear.
    Me too Pob. It's really nice to bake with as well x
    All of life is a dream walking
    All of death is a going home Chinese saying

I use the Pure sunflower / soya or organic what ever is in stock at the time.

On another note I have just scene in big lettering on the site of Vitalite (Dairy Free) does this now mean its vegan....that would be ironinc it's made by Dairy Crest
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Right following the Vitalite Question I have just spotted this on their site in the Vitalite Section

Vitalite
    Vitalite is the spread full of sunflower goodness with added vitamins that's popular with growing families.

Vitalite, the sunflower spread was launched in 1983. Since then its been a favourite of growing families with active kids because it is a source of Vitamins A, B and D, and naturally rich in Vitamin E. In addition, it is high in polyunsaturated fat, virtually trans-fatty acid free and contains no hydrogenated vegetable oil. It is dairy free too, which makes it a great option for vegetarians and individuals who are lactose intolerant. That covers off lots of tick boxes! It's also good value because it comes in great 500g reusable tubs. In fact, the tubs are so handy they've become hugely popular as lunch-boxes and food containers.

Vitalite is...

* A source of vitamins A, B & D
    * Naturally rich in Vitamin E
    * High in Polyunsaturates
    * Virtually No Trans Fatty Acids
    * No Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils

I have emailed asking if it has any animal by products in any of the ingredients, also I am guessing it may be vegan if they are saying suitable for lactose intollerant the added vits will not be milk or dairy based.

As long as nothing is egg based I am pretty sure it will be vegan, I will let you know what they say.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I got this reply back, very positive- though I wonder who this 'supplier' is?

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry to hear that at the moment you cannot buy Sainsburys Free From margarine in you local stores.
    I have escalated your enquiry to our knowledge team. They have advised me that we have not discontinued this product our supplier has stopped production. I would like to assure you that we are in the process of looking for a new supplier and hope to have the product back on sale as quickly as possible.
    We do sell an alternative, which is suitable for vegans. This is called pure dairy free spread with soya 500g the code for this is SKU 3804810. Please contact the careline and quote this number, they will be able to advise you, which stores near to you stock this product.

I use Earth Balance, and my daughter loves it. I am trying to use less of it though, since I may be getting too much fat. I love putting the Earth Balance on popcorn, potatoes, even bread - but I need to find something else to use.

Any suggestions on what to replace this with? Ideally, we'd eat these foods plain...but we just not there yet!
    Call me Candi! :D

Also, add me on your MySpace account! http://www.myspace.com/vegancandi :)

Default Re: Sainsburys Free From Margarine

The Sainsburys one is/was my favorite! No wonder I haven't see it recently....

Veryblue2

Default Re: Sainsburys Free From Margarine

Quote Pob
    I prefer the Pure, too
    I got it just yesterday, and I was quite shocked - after trying Cheezly Cheddar finding it nutty and not nice at all on its own (I hate nuts, apart from Hazelnuts) - to find it tastes just like any other margarine I've had before. Mum buys Bertolli and it tastes exactly the same to me without the animal crap in it. Great solution for moi. I used it in Baked Beanz to thicken the sauce, melted just like Bertolli marge does and also melted "normally" on toast. It cost me about £1.40 too, I'll be sticking to this one, I've not been vegan for long so it's nice to taste a non dairy product that tastes like the stuff I'm used to. My first dairy alternative experience was Soya Milk from Alpro, which I think tastes gross on its own and in cereal, but I've recently bought another carton so I'll give it another try since it's considerably cheaper than Rice Milk (50-60p/litre cheaper!).

~Jay
    What use is money with no World to spend it in?

veggiewoman

I use Marks & Spencers own dairy free spread, it says it's vegan and IMO its the best one I have ever tried, very reasonably priced at about 90p a tub too.
    It even says on the side of the tub -suitable for vegans.
    Maybe try that if Sainsburys fail to put theirs back on the market, I hate it when you eventually find something you can use and like , then they take it off the shelves.
    Also the Marks & Spencer one doesn't contain palm oil either, so maybe try that one if Sains don't listen to you.
    Good luck

[quote=Troutina]I got this reply back, very positive- though I wonder who this 'supplier' is?

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry to hear that at the moment you cannot buy Sainsburys Free From margarine in you local stores.
    I have escalated your enquiry to our knowledge team. They have advised me that we have not discontinued this product our supplier has stopped production. I would like to assure you that we are in the process of looking for a new supplier and hope to have the product back on sale as quickly as possible.

I hope they do find a new supplier soon. I've tried the Pure today and I'm not hugely impressed. It's not horrible but it's not particularly nice either. I'll give the M&S one a try next time I'm near a store. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Jackie

which pure? the 3 have different tastes and culinarily speaking different uses

Quote Mr Flibble
    which pure? the 3 have different tastes and culinarily speaking different uses
    Oh Sorry, I got the Blue Organic one. There was a choice of two there I think. Ordinary (Green) and Organic (Blue). My one's Sunflower. What's the other option and what colour is it?
    ~Jay
    What use is money with no World to spend it in?

Yellow - sunflower. The green is cheapest and nastiest, yellow is best for cooking and blue is best for being organic and tasting slightly buttery.

There is something called 'Organic Shortening' from Spectrum Naturals that is a pure palm oil from south america. It's a healthy type of palm oil not the same as the bad ones. It's got a good texture, a little bland but it is pure only one ingredient and organic and a good source of healthy fat which is what margarine is supposed to be all about right? It can be spiced up with celtic sea salt, garlic, dill, etc. It is also cheaper than the vegan margarines out there.