Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: The Chocolate Decadence Thread - for genuine chocoholics!

pavotrouge

Default Re: The Chocolate Decadence Thread - for genuine chocoholics!

I read "The Lollipop Shoes" this week and now I'm craving chocolate all the time

Has anyone ever ordered the catering sized lots of chocolate chips from Plamil? You can get organic plain or orange chocolate chips, 1.5kg is £11.31 (and to buy it in these quantities is better value than buying it in 6kg boxes, which comes to £48.76 - I did query this but they agreed that was what the prices are at the moment and that it was a little odd! ). Also a lot better value than the dairy free choc drops they sell in little tubs, which aren't organic.

The two things stopping me ordering them are not knowing what they taste like and that whatever they taste like, I'll probably eat too many chocolatey goodies!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    Has anyone ever ordered the catering sized lots of chocolate chips from Plamil? You can get organic plain or orange chocolate chips, 1.5kg is £11.31 (and to buy it in these quantities is better value than buying it in 6kg boxes, which comes to £48.76 - I did query this but they agreed that was what the prices are at the moment and that it was a little odd! ). Also a lot better value than the dairy free choc drops they sell in little tubs, which aren't organic.

The two things stopping me ordering them are not knowing what they taste like and that whatever they taste like, I'll probably eat too many chocolatey goodies!
    I've been debating the same thing for the past month, I am thinking of getting them for my dangerous truffle habit, chocolate orange truffles sound yyyyyuuuuum!

What are you like? :O

Montezumas 1kg bags (@ £11.95) are very good - far nicer than the plamil chocolate that comes in bars. Both cost a fiver for delivery.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I have to say that while I'm not a big fan of the Plamil "milk" chocolate I do like their organic orange chocolate, I think the bars of that are pretty good, so if it's the same thing in chips I think they'd be rather tasty (and better value than the montezuma's stuff - 50% extra for the same price by the look of it? and free postage for orders over £25, which I'm sure I could easily do!).
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Hi there, I have recently become a vegan and am desperatley trying to find vegan chocolate that I like. Today I read in my 'animal free shopper guide' that Lindt excellence 70% cocoa choc is vegan. However, I have just bought a bar, returned home and read on the ingredients that it may contain milk!! Can anyone shed any light of this? I am committed to being a vegan and do not want to eat dairy products. Is there anyone out there that can advise?
    Thanks
    Jo

Hi fennerj - welcome to the forum.

The "may contain milk" disclaimer is for products that are made on the same production line or in the same factory as products which contain milk, but milk is not an intended ingredient. They mostly get put on for the benefit of people with severe allergies.

Personally, as long as a product does not actually have milk/eggs as a listed ingredient I don't mind eating it, even if it "may contain traces", but I know everyone draws their own line. I also think we may have a thread about this somewhere else...

Hey thanks for that Twinkle
    I have eaten a chunk of the choc but feel quite uncomfortable about it knowing that there 'may' be milk in it. Considering sticking with 'Plamil' vegan choc, but it is less appetising and MORE calorific!
    Jo

'ombar'- anyone tried these? I had the acai and blueberry chocolate and it was just amazing, gave some to my omni friend and we were both just going mmm oh my mmmmm for about 10mins. It was I think the best chocolate I have ever ever tasted.

Hi squigaletta
    I am desperately trying to find a choc i like. Does the ombar say that it may contain traces of milk? The bar sounds delicious and i would like to try it!
    Jo

nope, no traces of milk, but may be cross contaminated with nuts. It's not that much like 'regular' chocolate, much softer, but I much preffered it, a very delicious experience! I also have a recipe for good chocolate truffles if you would like it just pm me. I've already posted it on the forum (twice I think) so I don't wanna post it again!

Just looked up the Ombar and found it here. Which reminded me I tried the Conscious Chocolate Goji and Coconut Delight raw chocolate yesterday and was surprisingly impressed. It was also soft and much nicer than I was expecting (I have been given raw chocolate samples before and not liked them).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I'm such a consumer whore, but the conscious chocolate is so plainly packaged and the bright and shiny wrapping of the ombar swayed me . I will try the conscious chocolate next time

I thought the Conscious Chocolate looked quite classy but would never have gone for it because it was raw. A friend bought me a few bars for xmas. I wasn't expecting much so kept leaving it in the drawer but when it was a handy size to bring out with me yesterday. I still have two other flavours to try.

I think I may have seen the Ombar and not considered it because, being so colourful, it looked like one of those 100% dried fruit bar things to me! However do the marketing and packaging designers manage with us all thinking differently about such things!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Just looked up the Ombar and found it here. Which reminded me I tried the Conscious Chocolate Goji and Coconut Delight raw chocolate yesterday and was surprisingly impressed. It was also soft and much nicer than I was expecting (I have been given raw chocolate samples before and not liked them).
    That one was the first ever raw choccy I ate. I was given the wrong bar at the Borough Market stall, so the lady gave us the bar free!

tried the conscious chocolate today. It was really good but I much preferred the om bar. And I don't think I will eat normal chooclate again, I love raw chocolate. they also had tasters of loads of the booja booja truffles yum yum!!

Having avoided buying the Booja Booja raw truffles in Wholefoods because they were charging £1.08 (instead of 99p everywhere else) I was horrified to find the prices have gone up by more than that in Infinity in Brighton.
    From 99p to £1.31 for two and from £3.99 to £4.99 for four.

Also was sad to find out I'll never taste the delicous Chocolate Empire truffles again as they have ceased trading.

Does anyone happen to know how big these eggs are ?? I'm guessing they're pretty small (but hoping I'm wrong!)

Surprising that they don't give a weight. Perhaps it would be an idea to email Veganstore and ask? (Let us know if you do.)

if they're the ones i've had they're a couple of inches high.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

These are made in the US Gorilla (I thought they were the vegan cream eggs we find at fayres at first too).

ok, but i wouldn't expect them to be any bigger than that for the price - possibly smaller if they come from the US.

eta they do sound like nice flavours.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I've emailed them

Let us know. I like the sound of them as well but worry that they are tiny!

The reply I got was:

They are the same size as a non vegan creme egg.

Thanks

They sound quite good value.

BTW for anyone that likes the fairtrade own-brand dark chocolate from Somerfield: the allergy section now says "contains milk" even though there are no dodgy ingredients listed, but I checked with them and it's just a cross-contamination warning. Not the best way to express it, but it's probably not worth arguing the toss if they are about to be subsumed into the Co-op.

i didn't know Somerfield did own-brand fairtrade vegan dark chocolate, i wonder if that will disappear seeing as Co-op's own-brand dark chocolate isn't vegan

I hope not, as it's delicious (and fairly traded). I thought our local Somerfield would have disappeared by now, not sure what's happening about that (and haven't the heart to ask )

we still have a couple of Somerfields in Brighton i think, i must have a look for this chocolate, and then email Co-op to tell them to replace their non-vegan one

That's good about the cream egg size - might have to place an order!

I bought a mini bar of Green & Blacks Maya Gold today (expiry date next year) and it said suitable for vegans on it. Have they changed their labelling back I wonder?

BlackCats

Quote scarlett View Post
    Does anyone happen to know how big these eggs are ?? I'm guessing they're pretty small (but hoping I'm wrong!)
    I might order some of them.

We should do a group order to save on postage if we are likely to see eachother soon.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    we still have a couple of Somerfields in Brighton i think, i must have a look for this chocolate, and then email Co-op to tell them to replace their non-vegan one
    Good idea! The Somerfield stuff is labelled "Best Ever Organic Peruvian Dark Chocolate 70%"

BlackCats

Quote Marrers View Post
    We should do a group order to save on postage if we are likely to see eachother soon.
    That's a good idea, I just joined VeganStore so I can order some if people want them.

agrees, great idea (and every time I order from there they muck me around, and I never receive my order, maybe this way I would )

I want to have a look and make sure there is nothing else I need so I guess whoever is ordering the most stuff should place the order (unless we are all just buying eggs!)

Quote harpy View Post
    They sound quite good value.

BTW for anyone that likes the fairtrade own-brand dark chocolate from Somerfield: the allergy section now says "contains milk" even though there are no dodgy ingredients listed, but I checked with them and it's just a cross-contamination warning. Not the best way to express it, but it's probably not worth arguing the toss if they are about to be subsumed into the Co-op.
    Ooh, I looked at the one with Raspberry pieces then checked the ingredients and saw the 'contains milk' and put it back...if it's only a cross contamination warning I may re-consider and buy some as it did sound very yummy!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

BlackCats

I have just filled my VeganStore basket with about £18 worth. I'm not sure what to buy really so if people want me to get them choccie eggs with my order tell me. I might have a look back through and see if I can't get anything more.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Ooh, I looked at the one with Raspberry pieces then checked the ingredients and saw the 'contains milk' and put it back...if it's only a cross contamination warning I may re-consider and buy some as it did sound very yummy!
    Unfortunately I'm not sure about the raspberry one PI - if I remember correctly it has some additives that I can't identify so I've never bought it. You could send a message from their website to ask though, make them think there's a sudden upsurge in veganism

I think I will send them an e-mail Harpy, can't do any harm...will post their reply when I get it
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    . . . so if people want me to get them choccie eggs with my order tell me.
    If you haven't already placed the order I'd love you to get me a box of the cream eggs.

BlackCats

^ I can yes, I will order it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Quote Marrers View Post
    I bought a mini bar of Green & Blacks Maya Gold today (expiry date next year) and it said suitable for vegans on it. Have they changed their labelling back I wonder?
    i had a look at the Green & Blacks in Holland & Barrett today but they all still say they contain milk, where did you find that one? that's good news if they have changed the labelling.

i did buy in H&B a 35g bar of Celtic free from plain chocolate (the company that make the lovely selection boxes), it says vegan on the front. i haven't eaten it yet though.

as BlackCats has had trouble with Veganstore and i was going to order from them myself anyway, shall i buy the cream eggs? am i right in thinking Scarlett, Marrers and BlackCats are the interested people?

BlackCats

That would be fantastic thanks.

Yes, I'd like some cream eggs! I was going to say I'd be willing to get them too (since Black Cats can't) so it's up to you Gorilla.

i've ordered them.

Thanks!

For folks in the US - I get the ghirardelli semi-sweet chips for baking cookies and such. Actually, MOST of the good brands of semi-sweet are dairy free, but read the ingredients to be sure. Best chocolate chip cookie bars EVER - 1 cu. sugar/desired sweetener, I cu. vegan margarine, 2 cups unbleached flour, 1/2 cu. chocolate chips. Whip up the marge and sugar together. Mmmm fluffy goodness. Bake at 375 until just browning around the edges, about 15-20 mins. OMG I need to bake cookies tonight I made myself hungry.

not long after i ordered the cream eggs i got an email from Veganstore saying "We have less the half our stock left on these gorgeous flavoured truffle eggs... You won't want to give them away and this is a limited edition item we won't be able to restock after they sell out."

good thing i got the order in quickly!