Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: The Chocolate Decadence Thread - for genuine chocoholics!

Default Re: The Chocolate Decadence Thread - for genuine chocoholics!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    . . . "You won't want to give them away . . ."
    You may not want to but you'd better!!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

well i won't be giving them away, money will need to change hands first

they arrived on Friday, two days after i ordered them
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i got forwarded this slightly odd email the other day:

Now here's a bill I would very much approve of: A Doctor in the United Kingdom is calling for a tax to be put on chocolate. It saddens me to see so much hype in the vegan and raw food movement about this drug, which is being hailed as a superfood. Chocolate is far from super and it certainly isn't a food. It is a stimulating drug which batters your nervous system and can make you ill. Chocolate, is contains a cocktail of toxic chemicals and drugs including methylxanthines such as the stimulant drugs known as caffeine, theobromine, and theophyllin, all of which are known to produce permanent degenerative alterations in cellular protoplasm. It also contains more tannin than tea, oxalic acid (a poison which leaches minerals from your body), Cannabinoids and aflatoxins.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Chocolate is far from super and it certainly isn't a food.
    I think chocolate is pretty damn super! And if it's got calories surely it qualifies as food?!
    Maybe we should change the title to the Chocolate Addiction thread!

(Have you tried an egg yet Gorilla or are you saving them for Easter?)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

It also contains...oxalic acid (a poison which leaches minerals from your body)
    i find it interesting that she uses this as an argument against chocolate because the exact same compound is found in spinach, and i'm sure she's not going to tell us to stop eating that. some people claim that chocolate is a good source of iron, which wouldn't be true if it is high in oxalate, because it inhibits iron absorption.

i don't think it's going to stop me eating it somehow

Quote Marrers View Post
    Have you tried an egg yet Gorilla or are you saving them for Easter?
    i haven't tried any yet, the idea is to save them for Easter but i have a feeling they might not make it

Zero

Who is this doctor who calls chocolate a drug? There are tons of things that people eat that are worse.

^ would it be ok for me to post her name? i'm not sure where the email came from as it was forwarded to me by a local veggie group contact, who herself had it forwarded to her from someone... i don't want to break any rules

Zero

If it is a factual statement then yes. Is this someone who has put up info about this subject on the net?

she has a website, but i can't find her comments about chocolate on there, so i'm not sure it's something i should link to in this case.

from looking at her website though, she's not actually a medical doctor - she has a doctorate in alternative medicine, and is an iridologist... i'm not sure she's the most reliable source of information

Zero

Here is something from the American Dietetics Association:

Abstract
    Although addictive behavior is generally associated with drug and alcohol abuse or compulsive sexual activity, chocolate may evoke similar psychopharmacologic and behavioral reactions in susceptible persons. A review of the literature on chocolate cravings indicates that the hedonic appeal of chocolate (fat, sugar, texture, and aroma) is likely to be a predominant factor in such cravings. Other characteristics of chocolate, however, may be equally as important contributors to the phenomena of chocolate cravings. Chocolate may be used by some as a form of self-medication for dietary deficiencies (eg, magnesium) or to balance low levels of neurotransmitters involved in the regulation of mood, food intake, and compulsive behaviors (eg, serotonin and dopamine). Chocolate cravings are often episodic and fluctuate with hormonal changes just before and during the menses, which suggests a hormonal link and confirms the assumed gender-specific nature of chocolate cravings. Chocolate contains several biologically active constituents (methylxanthines, biogenic amines, and cannabinoid-like fatty acids), all of which potentially cause abnormal behaviors and psychological sensations that parallel those of other addictive substances. Most likely, a combination of chocolate's sensory characteristics, nutrient composition, and psychoactive ingredients, compounded with monthly hormonal fluctuations and mood swings among women, will ultimately form the model of chocolate cravings. Dietetics professionals must be aware that chocolate cravings are real. The psychopharmacologic and chemosensory effects of chocolate must be considered when formulating recommendations for overall healthful eating and for treatment of nutritionally related health issues. J Am Diet Assoc. 1999;99: 1249–1256.
    http://www.adajournal.org/article/S0...307-7/abstract

Interesting stuff, but hardly all that worrying.

Zero

Quote Gorilla View Post
    from looking at her website though, she's not actually a medical doctor - she has a doctorate in alternative medicine, and is an iridologist... i'm not sure she's the most reliable source of information
    I agree.

Her doctorate is highly likely to be non accredited and possibly from a "diploma mill".

Shame on me for eating Easter chocolate already, but a friend of mine had bought one from Hotel Chocolat and shared it with us last night - it was absolutely divine! Have to get at least one for myself
    http://www.hotelchocolat.co.uk/Easte...Ideas-P450120/
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

I was impressed to find the posh kinnerton egg in a bargin shop today - the kinnerton large egg with a bar of choc in - in Waitrose Its about £6 it was £1.99 in B&M bargin store

Needless to say I could not resist but will save for Easter

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

^ I love the Kinnerton chocolate!

I discovered my OH has bought me a Montezuma kilo chocolate bar for Easter! I will act all surprised when he gives it to me, then I will greedily start chomping my way through it!
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Just checked my receipt and it says Homes and bargins stores. Maybe the other store I mentioned was another one I went in yesterday?

Yes Kinnerton is good choc

White vegan chocolate? i did not know it existed!

I came across this on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHITE-CHOCOLAT...|39:1|240:1318

Just I have never seen white vegan coco in shops ever...is this genuine?

vegan white chocolate is available from Veganstore and Humdinger.

it looks genuine i suppose, but i'd be a bit wary of this especially as i bought some supposedly vegan chocolate drops from an eBay seller and they turned out to be milk chocolate

Also Organica do a White Chocolate bar, available in health food shops.

I'm eating the most delicious dark chocolate ice cream in Scoop (in Covent Garden).

Quote Marrers View Post
    I'm eating the most delicious dark chocolate ice cream in Scoop (in Covent Garden).

show off