Thread: VIVAs veggie roadshows 2006

veggiewoman

Thumbs up VIVAs veggie roadshows 2006

I am really excited as I am helping them out on the day , will be a first for me

http://www.viva.org.uk/roadshows06/york.html

anybody going?

they are also going to the following locations:
    The Incredible Veggie Roadshow
    Saturday 5 August, 10.30am to 4.30pm
    The Grand Theatre, Singleton Street, Swansea
    Organised by Viva!
    Free entry and everything you ever wanted to know about going, being or staying veggie/vegan. A brilliant family day out, there will be food tastings, cookery demonstrations, talks, free diet and health advice, stalls, competitions, vegan fashion and footwear, beauty products, books, vegan food products, information and campaign news.
    Click here for further details!
    Saturday 3 & Sunday 4 September
    Organic Food Festival
    Bristol Harbourside
    Come and visit Viva! and our sister health charity the Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation’s stalls. Further details to follow.
    Saturday 9 September, 10.30am to 4.30pm
    The Guildhall, High Street, Bath
    Organised by Viva!
    Free entry and everything you ever wanted to know about going, being or staying veggie/vegan. A brilliant family day out, there will be food tastings, cookery demonstrations, talks, free diet and health advice, stalls, competitions, vegan fashion and footwear, beauty products, books, vegan food products, information and campaign news.

Saturday 4 November, 10.30am to 4.30pm
    The Assembly House, Theatre Street, Norwich
    Organised by Viva!

check out the http://www.viva.org.uk/events.html for more details and others I may have missed

Tiggerwoo

Default Re: VIVAs veggie roadshow York

Yay, they're back..... went to the one in Wembley last year. Is a bit too far for me, but I will say, you will have a brilliant time!

tabitha

I went to the Wembley one. It was brilliant. We stayed in a hotel down the road and made a night of it. My husband really enjoyed the Viva roadshow and only made a couple of comments about unwashed vegans. He loved the food and was particularly interested in the anti hunting stand.

feral

Oh you lucky thing, tell them to come to Ireland some time!

Blueshark

I went to a show in Wembley Arena last year. It was packed all day Saturday, with a lot of info for omnis/veggies for motivation.

I wish I went to one before vegan.

/edit
    Actually, come to think about it, I dont think mine was a 'VIVA' show, although they had a large stall.

Tiggerwoo

Did anyone go to any of Rose Elliot's cooking demonstrations at the Wembley one.... I know she's only veggie, but all the recipes she did the vegan version one of and she did a brilliant vegan cheesecake.

VeganJohn

I didn't go, but I just got Rose Elliot's 'Vegan Feasts' cookbook, there are some really good recipes in there!

veggiewoman

I have just edited this to include the other roadshows that viva are doing across the country this year

Default Re: VIVAs veggie roadshows 2006

I went to the newcastle one
    very busy all day

lets hope we have another one here this year

G

As York isn't too far from me I will be going

I am hopefully going to one soon

Aw I never get to go to these things as they are normally too far away.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I think the Nottingham vegan fair is on Sat 9th December this year - not too far from Derby (i remember my train from Birmingham went thru Derby!)

Dont think i can get to any of the Viva ones this year............

I went to a Nottingham one last time there was one! December? Too far away!!!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Theres a vegan fair 1st July at Gloucester but its still a fair trip from Derby, Il be going to Notts in Dec but yes thats a long way off. The London vegan fair in Sept is another one I will try to get to. Derby to London on the train is possible in a day I think?

Alison

i hope to make it to the York one

VeganJohn

Default Anyone going to the VIVA roadshow in York next Saturday?

This event looks really good, I have never been to a VIVA roadshow before and it is only about an hour on the train from where I live.

I would like to go, but it would be great to meet up with some people from the forum!!
    Last edited by flutterby; May 28th, 2006 at 09:44 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar new thread.

veggiewoman

Default Re: Anyone going to the VIVA roadshow in York next Saturday?

I am supposed to be helping out there on the day for them , but I mgiht be needed elsewhere on that day now, depending on transport.
    So if I do go to the viva roadshow I will let you know , as I live in York anyway lol.

VeganJohn

Thanks, it should be a really good day. Always great to meet up with other vegans :>

veggiewoman

feel free to pop down to York any time to meet up with us ,

VeganJohn

Thanks!!

VeganJohn

I started a thread asking if anyone was going to the York roadshow, but it got amalgamated into this one.

Just asking again, is anyone going on Sat as it would be a laugh to meet up with other people from the forum.

If not, it doesn't matter, I'm sure I'll have fun :>

Well we are in darlington for the next few days and going to the york one. Anyone want to meet up?

VeganJohn

Yeah, I'd be up for meeting others going to York. I aim to get to York station for about midday.

In Darlo eh? Lovely accent :>

well be there earlier than that. How about anyone who wants to meet up at the york one just text me on the day anytime.

07754 976 112

see you there?

VeganJohn

OK, great, I'll text you tomorrow. I'll aim to get there earlier then, I'm only an hour away on the train.

It should be a fun day out

VeganJohn

I've just checked the train times and there is only a bus service available between Newcastle and Darlington. Will probably be midday when I get to York.

i put the wrong number!! that phone is at home. the one i have on me here the number is 07929 153 316

VeganJohn

Well I thoroughly enjoyed myself today in York!! The weather was great and despite the trains being out of service between Darlington and York the journey wasn't too arduous.

Nice to meet you and your friends Lydia_Sorrow

Some amazing vegan food was being served and the cookery demonstrations and lectures on the negative aspects of consuming dairy and fish were excellent and very informative. I picked up some brilliant literature, both on nutrition and factory faming. The dairy industry is even worse than I thought

All in all a great day out, apparently it was the best roadshow VIVA have done, they mentioned at one point during the day that 800 people had been through the door. Hopefully some people were converted, I saw several people really look shocked when they learned the truth about dairy.

Me too! Unfortunately there were the inevitable downfalls of the day:

1) My argumznt with a silly man who tried to convince me to eat meat before saying "yeah well...." and walking away since I proved him wrong.

2) The man that threatened to "break your neck if you come near me with that" when my friend handed him a flyer.

Thats awesome, I'll be at the Swansea one

veggiewoman

I got an e:mail saying that the YORK raodshow atrracted 2,242 visitors, making it their largest roadshow ever!
    Glad to see all the posters I put up worked lol

Default Help Needed At Bath Veggie Roadshow, September 9th.

From Angie at VIVA:

Hi there!

Viva!’s Incredible Veggie Roadshow will be visiting Bath Guildhall on Saturday 9 September, 10.30am-4.30pm and we hope you will want to get involved to help us bring the delights of veggie living to the people of Somerset!

Our 2006 roadshows follow the success of last year’s, where over 25,000 people visited our 12 roadshows in total, held in towns and cities across of the UK, culminating in our Incredible Veggie Show at Wembley in November.

We decided to continue with the roadshows as we know what a difference we can make through these events, with visitors at each pledging to go veggie or vegan. And we’re certain Bath will be no different – other than it could be the biggest and best roadshow yet!! (Average attendance is 1,500 although at the first roadshow of 2006 in York we attracted over 2,200 people!)

For the roadshow to run smoothly and successfully we need a small army of volunteers, as well as Viva! staff, and it’d be great if you could join us and be one of the roadshow team on the day.

If you can:

· Help promote the roadshow by distributing and displaying invites and posters
    · Volunteer on the day – for the whole day, a morning (10.30am-1.30pm) or afternoon (1.30-4.30pm)
    · Think of someone who would be a perfect ‘Carmen Miranda’ for our roadshow photocall (to take place on Thursday 31 August, around noon, in Bath city centre – costume provided)

I’d love to hear from you!!

Just let me know how many invites and posters you need, together with your mailing address, and I will send them to you straight away.

In terms of helping on the day, we need volunteers for the following tasks:

· Promotion: Leafleting outside venue to attract shoppers and passers-by (2-3 people at any one time)
    · Welcome desk & prize draw questionnaire: welcoming visitors, offering them a programme of talks/cookery demos and copy of our free It’s Time To Go Veggie magazine, inviting them to take part in our prize draw questionnaire and collecting donations (2-3 people at any one time)
    · Click counter: keeping note of how many visitors attend, using an easy-to-use counter (1 person at any one time)
    · Hot food tastings: offering hot food samples of Indian, Chinese, Asian and English hot dishes as well as free recipe flyers to visitors. All food just needs reheating using microwaves and serving from a Bain marie. Guidance will be given on the day. (3-4 people at any one time)
    · Product tastings: offering a variety of product samples to visitors as well as product information and a listing of local suppliers (4 people at any one time)
    · Washing up: all the food containers used for both hot and cold food tastings will need to be thoroughly washed/wiped up before the end of the day (2 people at any one time)

Roadshow aprons and disposable gloves will be provided for volunteers on food tasting areas and roadshow T-shirts will be provided for other volunteers.

And finally, if you know a potential ‘Carmen’ please provide full details (and preferably a photo!) and our campaigner Justin will get in touch with further details.

I do hope you will want to get involved with this enjoyable and informative event as we really can’t manage without our amazing volunteers. And all of the above tasks really do play an important role on the day, unglamorous though some may sound!

To get in touch, call me on 0117 944 1000 or email me at angie@viva.org.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

With best wishes

Angie

Angie Greenaway
    Roadshow Co-ordinator
    Viva!
    8 York Court, Wilder Street, Bristol BS2 8QH
    T 0117 944 1000 F 0117 926 4646
    W www.viva.org.uk
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi.

Who is coming to Bath Viva Roadshow I will be going all being well flying the Bumpkin flag for Somerset with Sooz.....looking for vegan goodies, then after we may go to the hobgobin for gert lush pint of westons.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote snaffler View Post
    Who is coming to Bath Viva Roadshow
    Me, probably.

Quote gertvegan View Post
    Me, probably.
    NICE be good to see you if you can make it, its been donkey years since we last saw you Gert, tiz only up road from Good ol Brizzle.

I also know of three non veggie vegans going are times about to change with Omnis going to veggie shows? lets hope so