Thread: No vegan list for Iceland?

Default No vegan list for Iceland?

Iceland supermarket have told me this:

"Unfortunately, we don't send out vegan lists anymore. It was decided that we would offer a much more detailed labelling system on our own brand products."

Does anyone know what this means? I haven't seen "suitable for vegans" written on their products. Have I missed it?

Cheers,

Ross-c

Default Re: No vegan list for Iceland?

I presume they mean that the ingredient listings are more accurate.

I've never been a fan of Iceland. As a student/dropout the smaller freezer shops were cheaper and more convenient. As someone with more money now, I tend to buy more fresh stuff and ingredients. Probably just a snob
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I thought you meant the country at first!! Sorry!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Rob(QG)
    I presume they mean that the ingredient listings are more accurate.

I've never been a fan of Iceland. As a student/dropout the smaller freezer shops were cheaper and more convenient. As someone with more money now, I tend to buy more fresh stuff and ingredients. Probably just a snob
    Iceland have a few good products. But their frozen mixed vegetables are in my opinion the worst of any non-"economy" ones I know. I would prefer to have fresh vegetables every day but it certainly doesn't happen. I do like their "baby" frozen vegetables though.

My son was quite taken with the "twister fries" available at Mirch Masala, a vegetarian/(labelled) vegan restaurant in Leicester. Now that Iceland have told me that their twister fries are vegan I can start making them at home. I have made standard chips at home, but cutting potatoes into "twister" shapes is definitely beyond me.

Cheers,

Ross-c

I have received another email from Iceland. While the text is slightly ambiguous, it looks like Iceland will not be providing a "suitable for vegans" list any more. The improved labelling seems to be labelling good for those with allergies, but not very useful for vegans.

I'm going to start emailing them about individual products. I'd like to ask if others could do the same. The more requests they get about the veganicity of individual products, the more likely it is that they'll reconsider. If people could "spread the word" that would be appreciated too.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Lilac Hamster

They seem to be pushing their roasted joints of dead animal mainly, using that dreadful Kerry Katona to advertise. She is offputting anyway, let's have someone a bit more classy and talented please!

Anyway I'm asking them what kinds of products they offer for vegans (and vegetarians) as alternatives to roast joints of meat? Will be interesting to see how they answer that one.

I don't know about any specific products to ask about (could you suggest a few products you know that might be vegan as we don't live right near an Iceland so rarely go there?).

To be honest they always did seem the least vegan-friendly of all the supermarkets, even though if I remember rightly they have taken a strong stand against GM foods. Very ahead in some ways and very behind in others.

Lesley

the iceland in the town where i work is closing down to reopen as an M&S foodhall.

Quote Lilac Hamster
    They seem to be pushing their roasted joints of dead animal mainly, using that dreadful Kerry Katona to advertise. She is offputting anyway, let's have someone a bit more classy and talented please!

Anyway I'm asking them what kinds of products they offer for vegans (and vegetarians) as alternatives to roast joints of meat? Will be interesting to see how they answer that one.

I don't know about any specific products to ask about (could you suggest a few products you know that might be vegan as we don't live right near an Iceland so rarely go there?).

To be honest they always did seem the least vegan-friendly of all the supermarkets, even though if I remember rightly they have taken a strong stand against GM foods. Very ahead in some ways and very behind in others.

Lesley
    Some products to ask after might be the "curly fries", "southern fried potato wedges", the "golden rice", the "chinese stir fry vegetables", and the "potato croquettes". I think that all of those had plausibly vegan ingredients.

I'd agree that they are one of the least vegan-friendly supermarkets. But their potato croquettes were on their vegan list, and they were useful. I also have a feeling that I don't like losing any "options" as it were.

The only way to contact Iceland online seems to be to go to their web site and use the "contact us" menu item. The emails come from an address marked "for outwardemail only, do not reply" or similar language.

Cheers,

Ross-c