Thread: Ma has diabetes :(

Default Ma has diabetes :(

I found out not long ago that my ma has type II diabetes. I found out by accident as my dad asked me do you know of any diabetic chocolate I can get for your ma and well I’m sure anyone can work it out from that comment.

The thing is I’m not sure how to address this matter. I know that a vegetarian diet would be good for her and a vegan diet would be amazing for her health but I’m sure she won’t listen. She’s told old and set in her ways I think to actually change to a veggie/vegan diet. Also as I’ve been saying to her for a good few years that I was worried about her health so I think she’d take me saying anything as a “I told you so” moment and I don’t want to do that to her.

Fortunately she is adding more fruit, veggies, wholemeal etc stuff into her diet which is going to help her diabetes and help her lose the weight. However I’m sure a veggie or vegan diet would benefit her more. Can anyone help me with ideas on how to suggest to my ma that one of them would be a good idea for her health?
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

Geoff

Default Re: Ma has diabetes :(

I can't believe I'm saying this but she probably won't listen. Maybe you could find some veg*n low GI recipes for her.

Geoff

crazy 4 Veg - If you're 16 how can your mother be 'too old and set in her ways?'

Quote Geoff
    Have a look at :

Thank you for that I’ll tell her about that or print it out and leave it around the house for her.

Quote insubordination
    I can't believe I'm saying this but she probably won't listen. Maybe you could find some veg*n low GI recipes for her.

That’s also a good suggestion. I’m not sure if she’ll take to it but it’s worth a try.

Quote Geoff
    crazy 4 Veg - If you're 16 how can your mother be 'too old and set in her ways?'

I'm the youngest of two. My ma is 47 years old so yeah definatly set in her ways now I'd say .
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

prilly-pie

my mum is 45 and set in her old ways! she moans at dad if he makes a stir fry with no chicken in it...couldn't live without a steak now and again and bascially if she hasnt had meat for a meal- "shes never full"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrr

My mum is 66 this year and has asthma. I told her dairy was supposedly bad for asthmatics and now she has the various vegan milks and makes her own vegan ice-cream! You just have to be firm and tell it like it is and then say, surely it's worth a try? She told the nurse at the asthma clinic about following a vegan diet and the nurse said good idea!
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote crazy_4_veg
    Also as I’ve been saying to her for a good few years that I was worried about her health so I think she’d take me saying anything as a “I told you so” moment and I don’t want to do that to her.
    Yes, please don't say that to her! That's the one phrase that I absolutely cannot stand!!! Your mom knows what you've told her and she realizes that you were right, so saying "I told you so" will only make her hurt, angry and defensive, and she'll be less likely to follow vegan suggestions/recipes you give her.

I think leaving informational printouts, recipes, etc about veganism and the health benefits would be very good! Many people that I know won't read something if I give it to them and ask them to please read it, but if I just simply leave it around, they read it out of curiosity when I'm not there.

Wellies, how great that your mom is becoming more vegan!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Please check first with your Dad that your Mum actually does have diabetes! Some people think diabetic stuff is healthier because its low sugar. I agree its likely she is diabetic, but it's worth making double sure, and see if you can get some more info too, such as what treatment she will be having. If you show your Dad that you are interested and want to help, he should feel able to confide in you too and that will be a help to him.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Gliondrach

As well as the McDougall info, there is this:
    http://www.pcrm.org/health/clinres/diabetes.htm
    Diabetes is not necessarily a one-way street. Early studies suggest that persons with type 2 diabetes can improve and, in some cases, even reverse the disease by switching to an unrefined, vegan diet. Unfortunately, none of these studies included a comparison group. So the Diabetes Action and Research Education Foundation provided a grant to PCRM to perform a carefully controlled test.
    Working with Georgetown University, we compared two different diets: a high-fiber, low-fat, vegan diet and the more commonly used American Diabetes Association (ADA) diet. We invited persons with non-insulin-dependent diabetes and their spouses or partners to follow one of the two diets for three months. Caterers prepared take-home lunches and dinners, so participants could simply heat up the food at home.
    ---------------
    They go on to say that:
    'Fasting blood sugars decreased 59 percent more in the vegan group than in the ADA group. And, while the vegans needed less medication to control their blood sugars, the ADA group needed just as much medicine as before. The vegans were taking less medicine, but were in better control.'
    And:
    'While the ADA group lost an impressive 8 pounds, on average, the vegans lost nearly 16 pounds. Cholesterol levels also dropped more substantially in the vegan group compared to the ADA group.'

Why not make your mam some delicious vegan food to show her how good it is?

Lightbulb Re: Ma has diabetes :(

Quote herbwormwood
    Please check first with your Dad that your Mum actually does have diabetes! Some people think diabetic stuff is healthier because its low sugar. I agree its likely she is diabetic, but it's worth making double sure, and see if you can get some more info too, such as what treatment she will be having. If you show your Dad that you are interested and want to help, he should feel able to confide in you too and that will be a help to him.
    My ma does have diabetes. She had a go at my dad for letting it slip as she didn't want me to know . I am interested in helping her out and have told my dad so. I've always tried to go shopping with my ma so the fact that I'm there with her means I can help her decide what to buy. I've always been trying to do this but last time we went shopping (Friday) she actually listened to my seggestions . More fruit, more veg, more wholemeal items and less meats (well less than she used to buy that's for sure). I'm glad I can finally help her with this as she knows that I'm a little health freak (although she doesn't know how far it really goes ) so knows that I know what foods people should really be eating (if that makes any sense). My ma says that she'll try some oat milk (good for fiber intake ) and I get the impression that if she likes it that she'll switch over to it or at least use it more than cow milk which I think will benifit her alot .

check for hidden sugars too, sucrose, dextrose, corn syrup, maltose, glucose, all these are sugars

Geoff

Quote crazy_4_veg
    I'm the youngest of two. My ma is 47 years old so yeah definatly set in her ways now I'd say .
    No, you're the younger of two!

47 old? I'd sell my soul for a 47 year old woman!

Crazy,

I don't know what kind of diet information your mother's doctor has given her but being in the U.S. health field I know it was probably not sufficient. Please tell her to avoid refined flours. That's right - no white bread or crackers or pretzels. And no fruit juice unless it's a smoothie blended from the whole fruit. Fruit juice and refined grains enter the bloodstream rapidly, causing a quick rise in blood sugar. Whole fruits and grains take longer to digest thereby allowing a slow release of sugars into the bloodstream.

The above posts all have very good ideas. But even if she won't go vegan (and it sounds like she won't) then switching to a whole foods diet would also significantly improve her blood sugar. Losing weight would also help at this age.

Good luck with helping your mom.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

crazy4veg is in England and here in England we have a whole range of unhealthy foods marketed at diabetics, jams, biscuits, snack foods etc. I agree a wholefood diet is more healthy.

My boyfriend is a type 1 diabetic and is able to eat a few bits of 70% cocoa dark chocolate with meals because it has a low sugar content, if she's looking for chocolate. Don't touch the diabetic varieties with a barge pole, they're full of laxitives, as he found out!

Although he's still omni, he lives with me and I do the cooking so he eats an almost vegan diet, save for when he's out. His dietician at the hospital told him to eat brown rather than white varieties, plenty veg etc too. I'm sure it does him good! Invite her round for a nice vegan meal, trying it out might put her prejudices at rest, and mention studies you've read etc.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

It's a bit sad to be set in your ways in your 40's, I'm 44 and only went vegan 6 months ago.
    Why don't you offer to cook a few delicious healthy meals for your ma to show her the way. Half the time people don't do it because they think it's going to be tasteless/hard work.
    I'm a nursing sister and almost a state registered podiatrist as well and get to spend a lot of time trying to convinve diabetics to change their diets, stop smoking etc etc. I have learnt that nagging does nothing wheras praise and outright flattery gets you everywhere. One of my male diabetic patients just lost 5 stones and is so thrilled at the staffs amazement and praise he wants to change everything now.
    Being diabetic doesn't mean a life of misery, a healthy normal diet is all it takes, a little at a time. There is always blackmail: I love you mum I want you to stay healthy because I couldn't live without you works quite well
    I once ate 2 packets of diabetic boiled sweets when I was on a diet and had the chronic sh*ts for 2 days
    Silent but deadly :p

prilly-pie

i have tried.. and she notices no meat, no oil, no texture.. and the pan goes flying round her head.. joke .

Have you tried anything from this
    http://www.vegan-food.net/category/meat/

Yes, it is vegan!
    Of course there is http://www.vegan-food.net/
    too
    You could "book" the kitchen for one day a week and insist on doing all the cooking that day. Make sure all the meals are top notch delish first (don't try anything you haven't made before).

I assume your mother now knows about the Glycemic Index (GI) of foods. There's a huge difference between eating white rice (bad) and eating white pasta (OK) and eating potato or pumpkin (bad) and sweet potato (good) or watermelon (bad) plum (fine). It's actually quite surprising and not what I'd expected. I hope she gets her blood sugar under control.

Agree with the poster above. All refined, white stuff has to go - including bread. Only the extremely grainy, heavy, dark kind is acceptable.

My aunt was diagnosed with type 2 at 55 and about a year later, she has lost 40 kilos and feels much better. Still smokes like a chimney though - which puzzles me exceedingly.

My ma is learning about the GI of foods. It's taking her time but I think she can do it.

She's been worrying about her health more often and eats more fruit and veg than she did before she found out. She has started to drink almost lactos free milk and also drinks oat milk, she still doesn't like soya milk even after trying it a few times.

I'm glad that she's cutting back on sweetners and only just this morning had a go at my dad for putting two in her tea as she now takes one and could taste that it was to sweet to hav just one in it, hehe. I've noticed a dramatic drop in the amount of take outs my ma eats which is also good.

Im very happy that she is at least taking care of herself more. It gives me the confidence that she will carry on.
    Quote herbwormwood
    Have you tried anything from this
    http://www.vegan-food.net/category/meat/

Yes, it is vegan!
    Of course there is http://www.vegan-food.net/
    too
    You could "book" the kitchen for one day a week and insist on doing all the cooking that day. Make sure all the meals are top notch delish first (don't try anything you haven't made before).
    Those links are of help but I can't see my ma following a veggie diet let alone a vegan one even if I try or she uses the substitutes.

I have tried to offer to cook for my ma in the past but she never let me. Trouble is now I only have about 3 weeks now (maybe less) untill I move out so it's not likely that I'll be able to cook for her before I go. However I will be here one a week untill July so it is possible to do I suppose. There again my dad would not like it as he thinks a dish without meat isn't a meal at all and I refuse to cook them meat when they are both clinically overweight (ma being obease) and unhealthy.

Quote crazy_4_veg

Those links are of help but I can't see my ma following a veggie diet let alone a vegan one even if I try or she uses the substitutes.

I have tried to offer to cook for my ma in the past but she never let me. Trouble is now I only have about 3 weeks now (maybe less) untill I move out so it's not likely that I'll be able to cook for her before I go. However I will be here one a week untill July so it is possible to do I suppose. There again my dad would not like it as he thinks a dish without meat isn't a meal at all and I refuse to cook them meat when they are both clinically overweight (ma being obease) and unhealthy.
    You initially asked for advice here and said you thought your Ma would benefit from a veggie/vegan diet but that she probably wouldn't go veggie?
    You don't have to get your Ma to go veggie, but if you cooked for her once in a while I assume you would want to cook veggie? I mean, if you cook veggie you all can eat it.
    You say you offered to cook in the past but time has gone by since then and maybe you have learned to be more firm or persuasive? So offer again and if she says no, then try asking her why not.
    If she won't accept you cooking the main meal maybe you could make lunch instead. Or even make a lunch up at your place and take it round ready made. Or offer to do a "bring a dish" or "pot luck" where you each cook something to share.

And just by introducing her to some healthy foods you will make a difference.
    Once she and your Dad taste how good "healthy" food can be, they may be more keen to eat healthy on a regular basis, and healthy food has more veggies in it, even if its not all vegan!

The vegan food menus I posted contain mock meat so your Dad should be happy. Keep him out the kitchen when you make it.
    We often make fake meat stuff for an 82 year old and he doesn't know its not meat. Because he does't see us cook it we just put it in front of him and he eats it.
    As for moving out, that does not stop you visiting sometimes and helping your Ma out in the kitchen, or are you moving too far away to visit? If you shop for the ingredients and phone your Ma up and tell her what your'e planning, then turn up with your shopping bag of ingredients and just do it. If they like it you could turn it into a regular thing.

prilly-pie

my mothers stomach seems to work around the clock, rather than when shes truly hungry. if its 1pm and shes not hungry she'll still have lunch. its like her life is food. hmph