Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Which state in the USA?

Question Which state in the USA?

What state do each of you in the USA live in? I need to know where to move to when I move out. Also, if you are comfortable in telling, which city? I live in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I live in the suburbs of Atlanta, GA. (Hard to guess, huh?)

los angeles, california. BEST state ever . pretty vegan friendly, too.

beforewisdom

Takoma Park, Maryalnd ( part of it is also part of Washington D.C. )

Carmel, Indiana. It's just north of Indianapolis.

I'm in the "dairyland" too Flower!

LOL I see that Wisconsin has that on their license plates at the bottom...as if torturing animals is something to be proud of.

Yeah, apparently "raping of innocent cows to exploit them and steal their calves-land" wouldn't fit?!? *shrug*

Conway, South Carolina........ near Myrtle Beach.

Orlando, Florida

From St Louis County, MO but currently at college in Kirksville, MO.

Dayton, Ohio. No vegan restaurants around here, but an abundance of health food stores

Stamford, Connecticut. Unfortunately, though, I think there are only about 5 or 6 vegetarian restaurants in the STATE (and, yeah, we're small, but we're not that small) so that gives you some idea of how vegan-friendly it is around here. It's too bad, cause if you're a nature lover, Connecticut's a lovely place.

Any other CT vegans out there?

Killeen, Tx.
    Beef country and bible belt dujour.
    Austin, Tx. is just down the road and it is a great vegan city!

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Humboldt County, California.
    "A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

To add to your signature, Nonemorebrown, it's also gluttonous.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

Davie, Florida, just outside of Fort Lauderdale. It's pretty vegan friendly here...lots of natural foods markets....

Quote Artichoke47
    To add to your signature, Nonemorebrown, it's also gluttonous.
    Word.
    "A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

White Marsh, Maryland

Detroit Michigan.

near Charlotte, North Carolina

Dayton, Texas

I live in Winona MN, but I'm also only twenty minutes away from WI, where I used to live and I wish I still did...*sigh*. If anyone lives near me let me know!

Default Hunting Region

AUGUSTA, GEORGIA
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

Hawthorne, New Jersey. lame little town but pretty views of nyc.

Near Columbus, Ohio

Quote Katalina
    Hawthorne, New Jersey. lame little town but pretty views of nyc.
    Lucky you, I get the views of Staten Island, the Verrazano and Coney Island. Still nice.

Laurence Harbor, NJ -very small town in a very, very, very congested area.

mango woman

Default Re: Which State in the USA?

Quote Artichoke47
    LOL I see that Wisconsin has that on their license plates at the bottom...as if torturing animals is something to be proud of.

Yeah, it's greeaaaaat living in the cheese state! (wtf??) I live in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.. which is about 2 hours from madison. Very vegan UNFRIENDLY. ..But i make it work.

Hurricane Central Florida.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Pilaf

Tennessee...

mostly unfriendly to vegans, except for that Farm community.

it's good to see so many from the mid west (they call our states the mid west yet it's more eastern)

i'll make a vegan fun train starting in detroit and travel through ohio and down I-75- kentucky, tennessee, georgia, and FL) we can all have a pary in key west!!

mango woman

and skip the cheese state???? You gotta rescue me!!

Quote theashleybeyer
    and skip the cheese state???? You gotta rescue me!!
    Dude, my friend Angel is from some small Wisconnsin town and she didn't know what a vegetarian was! You have my sympathy.
    It took me 30 minutes to explain why some cheese isn't even vegetarian! Don't even ask how long it took to explain why I think it's bad. She so doesn't understand. So creepy.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Yogini

Quote Cyan

Any other CT vegans out there?
    I just moved to New Haven. I'm originally from San Francisco, but spent the last few years in Idaho. CT isn't as vegan-friendly as SF, but it beats the hell out of Idaho. I don't eat out much, so I don't know about veg restaurants in the area, but I really like the health food store near my home (Edge of the Woods.) It's got a pretty good selection of vegan food. It's the first store I've seen that sells agave nectar, which is now my sweetener of choice.

Love,
    Anna

Yogini

Quote nonemorebrown
    Humboldt County, California.
    I lived in Mendocino County from 89-92. Lovely area.

Love,
    Anna

Fairfield, CT but planning to move to Portland, OR by the spring.

Anna, there is a restaurant with vegan options in Middletown called It's Only Natural . If you can do it, take advantage of New York City. There are so many vegan or vegan-friendly restaurants in the city. I plan on eating at everyone of them before I move.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Yogini

Does It's Only Natural also have a small store? I think I've been there (the store, not the restaurant.) I like Middletown.

I've also heard that Claire's Cornucopia in New Haven is good, but I haven't been there yet.

How far is Fairfield from New Haven? I'm thinking about going to the Fairfield Vegetarian Meetup but haven't looked at how far I'd have to drive.

I've actually never been to Portland, but Western Oregon is really nice. My aunt used to live in Eugene and I loved visiting her.

And I've never been to New York either (I've lived on the West Coast my whole life.) I now feel kind of dumb for living so close and still never having been there. I was going to go to the Metropolitan Museum last week, but I ran out of money for train fare. I'm hoping for next month, but I might not be able to go until January or February.

Love,
    Anna
    Last edited by Yogini; Nov 6th, 2005 at 04:32 PM. Reason: mistake

I think ION does have some things for sale. It's located in a building with other little "funky" stores.

I've been to Claire's Cornucopia and wasn't totally impressed. Very few vegan options - but at least they have something!

Fairfield is about 20 to 30 minutes by car (depending on how fast you drive and what time of day). I have never been to the veg meetup group. This is horrible to say but one of the reasons I'm moving is because I can't stand the people around here, although Fairfield is a bit less pretentious than some other towns in this county. If you have a reason to take the Merritt Parkway south, you can get to Trader Joe's and Wild Oats to shop and be back home in under 2 hours. Of course that depends on how long you shop in each store. The choices and prices might be better than Edge of the Woods - but I haven't been there yet so can't say for sure.

We are going to Eugene tomorrow! I thought of moving there first but have better job opportunities in Portland. We may have found a place to live yesterday - I'm so excited I can barely sleep! This city is great.

What a bummer about the train. You definitely don't want to get to NY with minimal funds unless you're okay with walking a lot. The city is so large you almost always need to take a subway once you get off the train. I hope you get there soon!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Dianecrna
    I think ION does have some things for sale. It's located in a building with other little "funky" stores.

I've been to Claire's Cornucopia and wasn't totally impressed. Very few vegan options - but at least they have something!

Fairfield is about 20 to 30 minutes by car (depending on how fast you drive and what time of day). I have never been to the veg meetup group. This is horrible to say but one of the reasons I'm moving is because I can't stand the people around here, although Fairfield is a bit less pretentious than some other towns in this county. If you have a reason to take the Merritt Parkway south, you can get to Trader Joe's and Wild Oats to shop and be back home in under 2 hours. Of course that depends on how long you shop in each store. The choices and prices might be better than Edge of the Woods - but I haven't been there yet so can't say for sure.

We are going to Eugene tomorrow! I thought of moving there first but have better job opportunities in Portland. We may have found a place to live yesterday - I'm so excited I can barely sleep! This city is great.

What a bummer about the train. You definitely don't want to get to NY with minimal funds unless you're okay with walking a lot. The city is so large you almost always need to take a subway once you get off the train. I hope you get there soon!
    I want to live in Eugene so bad. I was there this summer and it's so wonderful. Have you been to the morning glory cafe?? SO GOOD!

~Mel
    ~Mel

Thanks for the tip! We are going tomorrow for the first time. I wanted to live there but have since fallen in love with Portland, and anyway I would have to wait for someone to die or retire to get a job - it seems everyone wants to live there.

I would appreciate any other ideas you have for us. We are traveling with my sister, my mother and a 2 year old toddler.

Yogini

I had no idea there was a Wild Oats in the area! I shopped there when I lived in Sacramento, CA and loved it. I'll definitely check that out. I think there's a Trader Joes in Milford. Or Milton. I haven't gotten the town names straight yet. Anyway, that might be closer.

Love,
    Anna

Quote Dianecrna
    Thanks for the tip! We are going tomorrow for the first time. I wanted to live there but have since fallen in love with Portland, and anyway I would have to wait for someone to die or retire to get a job - it seems everyone wants to live there.

I would appreciate any other ideas you have for us. We are traveling with my sister, my mother and a 2 year old toddler.
    The summer was lovely...I don't know when they stop but there was a HUGE farmers market in downtown on Saturday (and other times during the week but we went on Saturday) and there were lots of crafts and dirt cheap organic produce. I got a huge flat of mixed berries, organic for $2.50 i think.
    I want to try to apply for teaching jobs but you are right, everyone wants to live there!
    There is also The Pizza Research Institute...opens at 5:30 pm and has an amazing vegan pizza. The whole town is run by hippies (literally!) or earthy people so its just great.

We didn't get to spend much time in Portland. But I am so going back ASAP!
    ~Mel

I live in Asbury Park, NJ, but my heart belongs to Ithaca, NY, the hippy-vegetarian-liberal-punk-green-folkie-slacker-activist-tolerance-education-recycling-used book store-drum circle-artist-used clothing store-scenic gorges-multicultural capital of the world. Everyone cool should move there.

Cheers,
    rant

live right outside of Boston, MA

go to school in winston-salem, nc - not very vegan friendly at all
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote assilembob
    The summer was lovely...I don't know when they stop but there was a HUGE farmers market in downtown on Saturday (and other times during the week but we went on Saturday) and there were lots of crafts and dirt cheap organic produce. I got a huge flat of mixed berries, organic for $2.50 i think.
    I want to try to apply for teaching jobs but you are right, everyone wants to live there!
    There is also The Pizza Research Institute...opens at 5:30 pm and has an amazing vegan pizza. The whole town is run by hippies (literally!) or earthy people so its just great.

We didn't get to spend much time in Portland. But I am so going back ASAP!
    Thanks! We are definitely going to try the pizza. There are a lot of farmers markets here in Portland as well.

Rant, if only I had known there was anything like that in the northeast I just might have stayed. It sounds a lot like what I've seen out here so far.

Dianecrna,

Many people have compared Ithaca to northern California. The climate isn't even very different. And, Utne Reader (or was it Mother Jones?) awarded Ithaca the title of the "Most Enlightened City in the US" a few years back.

When I move back there, you can definitely come visit. My dream is to own a vegan winery just outside of Ithaca. Of course, I have no money for land and don't know a thing about making wine.

Cheers,
    rant

Quote rantipole
    When I move back there, you can definitely come visit. My dream is to own a vegan winery just outside of Ithaca. Of course, I have no money for land and don't know a thing about making wine.
    LOL! That hasn't stopped some people.

Quote Pilaf
    Tennessee...

mostly unfriendly to vegans, except for that Farm community.
    I guess you don't live anywhere near Knoxville? Earth Fare has a Knoxville store and I know all the Earth Fare stores I've visited have quite a few vegan items--including vegan chocolate
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Oh, I live in NC and not too far from Asheville, though I can't manage to get up there very often (they have an Earth Fare and supposedly have quite a few vegan friendly restaurants).
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

Yogini

I almost moved to Knoxville to attend UT. I ended up chickening out because I'm a vegan, queer-friendly, agnostic and the idea of living in Tennesse scared the crap out of me. I've had several people tell me Knoxville is pretty enlightened, but I recently saw a program on TV that named UT Knoxville as one of the least gay-friendly colleges in the U.S.

Love,
    Anna