Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Which state in the USA?

nakaniNumen

Default Re: Which State in the USA?

Signing in from the frigid climate of Rochester, NY @ RIT

Kinda vegan-friendly in the city, but campus is a world of its own

Quote vaderesque
    Oh, I live in NC and not too far from Asheville, though I can't manage to get up there very often (they have an Earth Fare and supposedly have quite a few vegan friendly restaurants).
    i was going to try and get up to asheville this weekend but all their bed and breakfasts were booked and i couldnt get off of work anyways! oh well another time!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

By this time next year I'll be posting from Portland, Oregon! Just got back yesterday and can't wait to move there (next spring). What a vegan-friendly city!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Wishin986
    i was going to try and get up to asheville this weekend but all their bed and breakfasts were booked and i couldnt get off of work anyways! oh well another time!
    If you ever manage to get up to Asheville, maybe we can have a girl vegans' day out and check out all the great vegan restaurants and grocery stores Part of the reason I never get up there is not having anyone who's vegan to do "vegany" things
    When you are guided by compassion and loving-kindness, you are able to look deeply into the heart of reality and see the truth.--Thich Nhat Hanh

sounds good to me! same here, I was just going to go up there all by my lonesome but company would obviously be welcomed!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Im originally from chico Ca. very vegan friendly. But now I live in Charleston South Carolina, Don't come here.It's not veg*friendly at all.
    Animals are no different from us. They too fear death and pain, and will fight with the last of their strength to escape it.

Yogini

Huh. I would never have imagined Chico to be very veg friendly. Live and learn.

BTW, everyone I know who ever went to Chico State either died of alcohol poisoning or had a friend who died of alcohol poisoning. And it's too freakin' hot there. (That's the closest icon I could find for me panting in the heat.)

Love,
    Anna

new jersey

by the way, new jersey is stupid.

Western Wisconsin

Grew up in Los Angeles, now I'm in Albuquerque, NM
    "Violent means will give violent freedom."
    ~Mohandas K. Gandhi

I'm originally from Mystic, CT but have lived all over including: Raleigh, NC; Wichita, KS; Durham, NH; Westchester Co., NY. I'm in Brooklyn now. There's tons of veg friendly stuff, but not near where I am - they all require a train or bus ride, and seeing as there's a strike . . .

Anyway, Asheville is WAY vegan friendly! Southwestern CT is expensive and pretentious, but you can get to a Trader Joe's way easier and quicker than me.
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

Originally from rural Louisiana.

Now I'm in Houston, Texas. I find some great stuff here at the whole food stores, which I couldn't get at all back home.

I don't have much luck yet at restaurants, but maybe I just haven't figured it out yet.

The most difficult for me is not so much the food but the attitudes. I've got a brother living in Austin, and he tells me it's a much more vegan-friendly city.

Quote DianeVegan
    By this time next year I'll be posting from Portland, Oregon! Just got back yesterday and can't wait to move there (next spring). What a vegan-friendly city!
    Me too! You have to love Portland. I am moving there in about eight months, actually. There are so many opportunities in Portland as well. Best of all, it doesn't have the same feel as other big cities; that polluted, trapped feeling you get in other places.
    X

Ooohhhh, a vegan neighbor! Will you be going to the university, Zanahorias, and living west of the river? Or is it a job/ new home taking you there?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote Peas'nHominy
    Originally from rural Louisiana.

Now I'm in Houston, Texas. I find some great stuff here at the whole food stores, which I couldn't get at all back home.

I don't have much luck yet at restaurants, but maybe I just haven't figured it out yet.

The most difficult for me is not so much the food but the attitudes. I've got a brother living in Austin, and he tells me it's a much more vegan-friendly city.
    MMMMMMMMMMM Austin.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

I'll be going to Portland State University. I'm so excited... I think I'll end up living like two blocks away from a vegan grocery! And I'm of course excited about more than that, like having cool vegan neighbors!
    X

Talking Re: Which State in the USA?

im currently in milwaukee wi...
    and despite the complaints i hear from some, i find it not such a bad place to be vegan... but i live basically downtown, and im less than 1mi away from a oganic grocery store that has a super vegan friendly deli/ cafe.

plus chicago diner (<3) is only 1 + hour away!!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote Zanahorias!
    I'll be going to Portland State University. I'm so excited... I think I'll end up living like two blocks away from a vegan grocery! And I'm of course excited about more than that, like having cool vegan neighbors!
    Oh, that's great! I will be living about 4-5 blocks from the university. Are you getting housing across the river? Sounds like you might be living near Food Fight vegan grocery store? If so, they don't have much in the way of fresh foods. However, there are coops and a New Seasons close by - so you have a lot of great choices. And there's a farmers market almost right on campus every week. The local campus pizza place also has vegan options. There are some other vegan options on campus but I'm sure you'll find them all soon after arriving! You'd better keep in touch, as I like nothing more than feeding hungry college kids (actually, one of them is raiding my fridge as we speak).

My friend, also vegan, and I are going to get an apartment, but we're not sure were at the moment, though we have looked at a few places. We might end up with one of the Universities studio apartments.

Also, it's not that far from whole foods, so that's another place to shop.

And I will of course keep in touch! There's nothing I'll like more a vegan college student than being fed!
    X

Thumbs up Zanahorias, so cool!

Hey-hey Zanahorias, all that sounds so awesome! I'm so excited for you!!

I live in the heart of the dairy state in Madison, Wisconsin. I live downtown and it turns out Madison is very liberal and very vegan-friendly.
    I'm vegan. I tell corny jokes, not cheesy ones.

Lawrenceville, Georgia.
    The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Ventura California, a small beach town between santa barbara and thousand oaks, fun fun fun!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

san luis obispo, ca

a college town directly in between LA & SF... i got the mountains and the beach all within a couple of minutes of me
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Chicago, Illinois. There's a load of great vegan spots to food...one of my favourites is the Earwax Cafe.

Colorado, USA. Lots of skiiing, hiking, mountain biking.

Unfortunately all the damn Texans have brought their love of steak to Colorado as well...

Quote KrissStress View Post
    Chicago, Illinois. There's a load of great vegan spots to food...one of my favourites is the Earwax Cafe.
    I've been there when visiting a friend in Chicago! Yummy. Chicago is a great place for good vegan food.

I'm from St. Louis, MO, which is not too bad for vegan food, although I wish it was better. I go to school in Rolla, MO, which is a lot worse. Luckily I make it home fairly often.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Michigan.
    But we're moving out ASAP.
    context is everything

Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. I've got the Tennessee River, Lookout Mountain, Aquarium, Country Life Vegan restaurant, Greenlife organic grocery store. I love it.

Quote MzNatural View Post
    White Marsh, Maryland

We're pretty close. Towson, Maryland.

I live in Kentucky..
    I dunno how veg friendly it is though..
    Lexington has a couple of health food stores.(Whole Foods and Good Foods,2 decent health food stores though Whole Foods is a bit costly.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

Eatontown, New Jersey
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

oh, my. this thread is a true testament to what a nomad i am... this is my third state since ive joined....

new location: portland, (vegan capitol of the country) oregon. yay
    -henry miller

Eastern Oregon

tipsy, are you JJ? nd are you tipsy? come join theo drunk gaign thread!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I'm in Landenberg, PA.

It's a little outside Philly, but it's all country out here. We have five acres and a 200 year old farm house. We have four acres of corn growing and the other acre is tomatoes and random veggies and fruits. We have a few natural stores around here, but also a lot of hunters and the like. But the city has some great vegan restuarants.

Alden New York, pretty close to Buffalo New York

Right in the middle of beef country; Lincoln, NE.

Hinckley, Ohio (Home of the Buzzards - really, it's not all that ). Glad to meet everyone.

ivandurago

Fort Collins, CO
    Pretty vegan friendly atm, will be even more so after my friends and I graduate and open a vegan restaurant there

Dylan Mulenburg

I live in Minnesota, near Glencoe and Hutchinson. About 50 miles west of the twin cities. Please PM me if you live near me! I'd love to meet vegans around here

~Dylan

Denver/Golden, Colorado. CO vegans represent!

I currently live in Anthem, Arizona... which puts me about 45 minutes away from the couple of vegetarian restaurants in Phoenix. But I'll be moving to Chicago in a few months so that should be a relative improvement.

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. However, I'm moving to Iowa City later this month to be wtih my (vegan) boyfriend. Spent a few days there last week....very vegan friendly. Tulsa is not unless you are comparing to someplace like, oh, say, Duckjeong (remote small town in S. Korea).

AAAAAHHH!!! My favorite band in the entire world lives in tulsa oklahoma! (HANSON), I'm so jealous! have you ever seen them?
    -Holly-

Santa Cruz, California.

Pretty vegan friendly and ridiculously beautiful.

seitan

Quote tipsy View Post
    oh, my. this thread is a true testament to what a nomad i am... this is my third state since ive joined....

new location: portland, (vegan capitol of the country) oregon. yay
    out of all the us cities ive visted, portland was the best for vegan food, and freidnliness, seattle a very best second.
    if i had to live in one tho, i think it may be seattle for its scenary, seeing mt rainier any time of the day is amazing

I'm in Dearborn, MI.

desmond jones

Quote rantipole View Post
    I live in Asbury Park, NJ, but my heart belongs to Ithaca, NY, the hippy-vegetarian-liberal-punk-green-folkie-slacker-activist-tolerance-education-recycling-used book store-drum circle-artist-used clothing store-scenic gorges-multicultural capital of the world. Everyone cool should move there.

Cheers,
    rant

thats kinda how clairmont, California is. its a smallish college city. i go there all the time because its wonderful. it has a folk music store, a Rhino Records, a great used book store, a huge health food market, and a few little health markets in the village area. its wonderful, but sadly it is small and sort of empty. they also have a folk festival every year, which is great.