Thread: Portland Vegans?

Default Locally grown in Portland, Oregon

I'm not sure if anyone here is from Portland, Oregon - but if you are: this may interest you.

"New Seasons Markets" are high end eco-grocers with a focus on locally grown produce. Locally grown foods carry a yellow tag and foods grown far away are labelled with a big scarlett "F" and the country of origon.

Here's a link to their web site if anyone's interested.
    http://www.newseasonsmarket.com/

Default Re: Locally grown in Portland, Oregon

Thanks for this link, Roxy. Portland has a few local shops and co-ops to choose from. I also found some on this link.

AltPortland
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Default Portland Vegans?

Anyone here from Portland, Oregon?

I'll most likely be moving there very soon. I currently live in Corvallis, OR about 90 minutes south of Portland but a new job is taking me up there.

I have friends and family there as well, but I'm always looking to meet up with other vegans in the area.

Anyone there?
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Default Re: Portland Vegans?

My husband and I will be moving to Portland the first week of July, near the art museum. Now you know of two more.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

DayofDarknss

Hello my fellow, beautiful vegans! This is actually my first post here (go me.) Anyway, did you guys know that Portland, Oregan is named the #1 most vegetarian/vegan-friendly city in America?! Oh, and also, check out Portland's Vegan grocery store: Food Fight! Vegan Grocery. I actually want to move there, Texas is sure a drag (this state is the capital slaughterhouse of the country!)

Seaside

Yes, we did, Light_Of_Day! But I love your enthusiasm in telling us about it. I hope you get to move there soon.

Welcome!

DayofDarknss

Seaside, you speak on behalf of everyone as if everyone already knows that Portland is #1, wow I must be quite the dork, I should have figured everyone already knew haha. Glad to know I already have dork points first time out of the gate. Just kidding with ya, you seem cool, you're all green and stuff yummy. Wont you be my space queen?

*Peace*

Seaside

Well, at least 148 of us know, because BodyBuilder made a thread about it that 148 people have read. But you're right; I've been scolded before for speaking on behalf of everyone.
    You'll have to move to San Francisco if you want me to be your space queen, though.

Cool, I'll be in Portland soon. Maybe I'll see some of you in a few months or later on down the road. Portland is a GREAT city!
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Default Re: Locally grown in Portland, Oregon

Cool, thanks. I will be visiting the News Seasons Markets very soon!
    Robert Cheeke

Northwest Veg just introduced a Veg Dining and Shopping Guide for Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA!

Yeah, it is great. I use it when I'm up in Portland and it has been really helpful. I'll be officially living in Portland on July 1st. Anyone else living in the area?
    Robert Cheeke

Have you ever tried this one Robert?

Mmmmmmmm - sounds delicious!!!

Haven't been there. Thanks for the tip
    Robert Cheeke

Thanks for that link, Roxy. We'll be in Portland next week and will definitely give it a try.

I've never been there either - I was just browsing the menus and I thought that one sounded especially yummy!

Don't forget to give us your review Diane, if you manage to try it out.

Limey

Quote Light_Of_Day
    Oh, and also, check out Portland's Vegan grocery store: Food Fight! Vegan Grocery. I actually want to move there, Texas is sure a drag (this state is the capital slaughterhouse of the country!)
    Now I want to move there, too. I love that website and they have the Ricemellow Fluff -

Roxy, you have a knack for picking restaurants - Banana Leaf (I think that was the name) in Vancouver was great and so was Persian House here in Portland. It's small but cozy, with traditional music and decorations. We had:

Hummus - very nice, smooth
    Nazkhatun (Eggplant with pomegranate syrup) - fabulous
    Carrot and Prune Khoresh (stew) - very good
    Eggplant Khoresh (stew) - excellent; had it with the dill rice which is also great

Some dishes take 40 minutes to prepare so we're calling ahead next time if we order the Veg-Paella or Addas Polo (combo of lentils, raisins, dates, veggies, rice).

There are many online reviews of restaurants here and the people working in the vegan spots are a great source of info. Unfortunately there is a lot of vegan junk food and vegan "comfort food" in some restaurants but it's still possible to find healthy vegan and raw options as well.

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. The food sounds like it was just delicious! Okay then - when I come to Portland (and I will lol, it's just a matter of when), then we can go there together!

I'm so glad you liked the Banana Leaf. They have 3 locations here now and they are all just as good as each other. We went there last week actually, with my boyfriends Mum and sisters and they all loved it too!

I'm going there for my birthday next week too

Default Portland!

So I've been thinking about it a LOT lately, and I want to live in Portland, Oregon. My aunt just bought me this book that lists all (or a lot of) the vegetarian restaurants, organized by state and then city, in the US. The section on Portland was like 5 or 6 pages long! Does anyone here live in Portland, and is it really so fabulous?
    Last edited by flutterby; Jul 27th, 2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: this was the 1st post in a similar thread.

IndigoSea

I want to move to Portland so badly! I went for a week during spring break. It's so vegan-friendly, all the little cafes and restaurants have vegan and veg meals. I also went to New Season's Market and it was WONDERFUL there!