View Poll Results: How much organic stuff in your life?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Organic is a happy coincidence in the things i buy

15 7.32%
  • I buy organic food but skin products dont matter

4 1.95%
  • I buy organic skin products but not food

1 0.49%
  • I buy as much organic as I can but it is too expensive (or hard to find) to buy exclusively organic as much as I would like to

120 58.54%
  • I buy some organic and some non-organic

45 21.95%
  • I don't buy much organic yet, but I'm working on it

13 6.34%
  • Organic is unavailable where I live

2 0.98%
  • Organic is a load of rubbish

5 2.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much organic stuff in your life?

Default Re: How much organic stuff in your life?

Organic broccoli from China!! Sounds very worrisome to me. It reminds me of the hummers and huge SUV's parked in the Whole Foods parking lot. Ridiculously contradictive. I should just go more often to my local farmers market. We have a very good one in Santa Monica. I'll send my husband there on Wednesday morning (he needs to get more involved in creating a healthy lifestyle for us...). Organic produce is rather expensive there, but very tasty. LA chiefs like to buy their greens at the Farmers Market because of the superior taste. Not only would i buy organic but also LOCALLY grown, and that is important to me.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

My local green grocers has started occasionally selling organic potatoes, carrots, swedes and mushrooms, but it's not a regular supply. I think he's testing the water. I've made my voice heard and I hope he gets enough demand. Other than that I have a choice - support my local shops but do without organic, or, if i want organic, see my money going to Tesco. I've found it quite a dilemma.

Thanks for the list Dianecrna. I'll try and buy the risky produce organically from Tesco, but still support my local shops by buying the least contaminated stuff in the greengrocers.

I've just found out about the Real Food Market which sets up every Sunday morning in town and sells fresh local and organic produce, so I'll buy what I can here once a week.
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

I agree with the idea that local is just as important as organic. If it's a small farm then it almost certainly uses sustainable practices as well (and keeps the farmland from being developed into ever more homes). And buying local forces you to eat in season. We'll be doing a lot of canning and freezing here in the next few months while things are in season. My grandmothers may have been onto something

http://www.storewars.org/flash/index.html

Spread the seeds of the Organic rebellion.

I had to share this one - it's pretty clever.

"That's not a moon, that's melon! That fruit threatens us all". Obi Wan Canolli.
    Last edited by veganblue; May 19th, 2005 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Obi wan, not Obi One...
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Seaside

Posted by veganblue:
    "That's not a moon, that's melon! That fruit threatens us all". Obi One Canolli.
    Thanks veganblue! I liked Tofu D2!

Thanks for the link, Veganblue.

"Stretch out with your peelings"

Quote Artichoke47
    I buy mostly organic, but if I want, say, a tropical fruit that the store doesn't have available in organic, I'll buy a fair trade one, anyway, because tropical fruits don't have as much insecticides. I don't think any of the poll answers fits my situation. I buy organic when available, regardless of cost.
    I read a report about bananas and the people cultivating the bananas got very ill from the chemicals used on the bananas.

http://www.newint.org/issue317/facts.htm

And for pineapples...http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/pn29/pn29p6.htm

on Del Monte's Kenyan grown pineapples...

I also buy organic when it is available, but it is only available, limited quantities, in certain shops and sometimes it is in poor condition. The fresh stuff is so expensive it sometimes spends to long on the shelf and wilts fairly badly.

We can't afford organic all the time as it's so expensive so this year we have decided to grow our own veg from jan to december and harvest the seeds for next year's crops. That way we can be sure no pesticides go into them.
    We have Gwydion's planting guide: The definitive moon-planting manual. It tells you what seeds to plant each month and when, crop rotation, natural pesticides etc. We are gradually hoping to become self sufficient.
    It's quite weird because the other day we realised that we don't actually need our fridge or freezer. We eat mostly fresh food and our main stock of food is dried or tinned, we simply don't buy frozen food.
    Our fridge currently has vegan margerine in it and some onions and half finished sauce jars. There is one packet of frozen spinach in the freezer. I've been thinking of cleaning it out and keeping it switched off!!!
    January is the month for planting broad beans and spinach straight into the ground.
    Silent but deadly :p

Good for you,Hemlock!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I live in an apartment and was growing fresh herbs and tomatoes on the balcony (it's quite roomy and sunny) but then the land lord sprayed the outdoors for ants...arrrrgghhh....so I couldn't eat the produce. So much on helping the food budget by growing it myself.

Usually I buy organic. I find that the farmer's market is cheaper than a grocery store but it is seasonal. If I want fresh veggies and fruit I have to pay more but I tell myself I am worth it. Really the only exception I make is avacados....I am addicted to them. I have a hard time finding organic ones though.

Quote Hemlock
    We can't afford organic all the time as it's so expensive so this year we have decided to grow our own veg from jan to december and harvest the seeds for next year's crops. That way we can be sure no pesticides go into them.
    We have Gwydion's planting guide: The definitive moon-planting manual. It tells you what seeds to plant each month and when, crop rotation, natural pesticides etc. We are gradually hoping to become self sufficient.
    It's quite weird because the other day we realised that we don't actually need our fridge or freezer. We eat mostly fresh food and our main stock of food is dried or tinned, we simply don't buy frozen food.
    Our fridge currently has vegan margerine in it and some onions and half finished sauce jars. There is one packet of frozen spinach in the freezer. I've been thinking of cleaning it out and keeping it switched off!!!
    January is the month for planting broad beans and spinach straight into the ground.
    sometimes food has more nutritional value from frozen instead of canned. it has to be processed in a specific time unlike canned food, so the frozen has more nutrients retained.

I still find the organic/biodynamic thing a bit confusing.
    There was a link on another thread to a biodynamic site that listed animal organs used. Anyway I decided not to buy biodynamic food after reading that. My problem is that the stores near me are all organic/biodynamic, is this the norm everywhere? Can you have an organic/biodynamic farm, or is it one or the other?
    I questioned the owner of one store and she was quite helpful and gave me a book to look at, but I got that look, like I had green skin and three eyes, and she had never heard of animal organs being used.
    If the produce is still in its original boxes (a lot is) you can see where it is from and if it has the 'demeter' (biodynamic) sign on it, but if they are in baskets they are not always labeled.
    Anyway, I have planted a veg garden and will grow as much as I can.

Quote cedarblue
    sometimes food has more nutritional value from frozen instead of canned. it has to be processed in a specific time unlike canned food, so the frozen has more nutrients retained.
    Canned spinach Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Mostly the canned stuff is beans like chickpeas, baked beans, chopped tomatoes and that sort of thing - never vegetables after the spinach horror Also dried soya mince does the job as well as frozen.

Jacqui,

I also get confused by all the names given to food production methods. If you are worried about animal products then veganic is the only "vegan" method of farming. Even conventional farmers use animal products in the soil - there's a lot of bone meal and manure out there due to the huge animal farming industry. Unless you produce the food yourself or buy veganic then the sad fact is that some animal products most likely were used.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

There was a horrific article in the papers this morning to say that a lot of supermarket veg can be as much as a year old!!!!!Although most is a few months old.
    They use preservatives on the produce and growth inhibitors which means it can be stored indefinitely. How can year old potatoes and tomatoes possibly retain adequate nutrients?
    At least I know my local farm shop sells only freshly picked produce!
    Our home grown sprouts were nothing like supermarket veg, they were very small, a bit snail chewed and had an amazing strong flavour.

Quote Jacqui
    I still find the organic/biodynamic thing a bit confusing.
    There was a link on another thread to a biodynamic site that listed animal organs used. Anyway I decided not to buy biodynamic food after reading that. My problem is that the stores near me are all organic/biodynamic, is this the norm everywhere? Can you have an organic/biodynamic farm, or is it one or the other?
    I questioned the owner of one store and she was quite helpful and gave me a book to look at, but I got that look, like I had green skin and three eyes, and she had never heard of animal organs being used.
    If the produce is still in its original boxes (a lot is) you can see where it is from and if it has the 'demeter' (biodynamic) sign on it, but if they are in baskets they are not always labeled.
    Anyway, I have planted a veg garden and will grow as much as I can.
    It is not the norm to have organic and biodynamic stores. It must be something about where you live. Yes, there are some animal parts used in biodynamic agriculture, but so are there is conventional non organic agriculture and organic agriculture. Conventional agriculture uses a lot of animal products in the fertiliser particularly, but organic agriculture uses manure, which is non vegan. There is also blood and bone meal which I don't think is excluded in organic. The only way to avoid the use of animal products in agriculture is to buy from vegan organic growers or to grow your own. But even then, small animals and insects could be accidentally killed. So don't be too hard on yourself.

i've found it almost impossible to find any food that is certified vegan-organic. (other than stuff i've grown myself of course!)
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks, Diane & Herbwormwood for the replies.
    There doesn't seem to be any vegan organic where I live, so I'll just have to grow what I can and buy the rest organic.

Quote Gorilla
    i've found it almost impossible to find any food that is certified vegan-organic. (other than stuff i've grown myself of course!)
    Check out http://www.veganorganic.net/

I don't think there is a vegan organic cetificate yet. You would have to know the farm was vegan organic.

thanks, i already knew about the Vegan Organic website (i have one of their cookbooks). According to their site there is a stock-free organic symbol, but i've never seen it anywhere, and they don't seem to have a list of approved farms on their website. the shops i buy fruit and veg from can't tell me if their suppliers are vegan organic farms, and i don't know of any vegan organic farm shops or box schemes around here.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I agree with stickydate, I buy what I like. I love organic red apples, but I tried buying organic avocados on several occassions and they were all brown and mushy. Another problem I have with buying organic is that you can only get it in huge packets and I can't eat it all on my own. Usually I buy single fruits, what I can eat in a day or two, and I don't even need packaging.

I have noticed that all the organic veggies and fruits here come in unnecessary, unrecyclable plastic baggies and wrappings.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Some stuff here comes in compostable plastic (tomatoes and courgettes from Sainsbury) but plenty of others are in plastic Would be much simpler if you could buy it loose.

I know.

Fruits and veggies are generally expensive here (living on an island in the Atlantic waters) but organic stuff is too much for my budget. There's no way I'm going to spend 7 dollars on a couple of tomatoes.

at least i can buy organic fruit and veg loose if i go to a wholefood store or even a couple of greengrocers locally. i hate the fact that supermarket organic food is so over-packaged, i think it's to stop people passing organic produce off as regular produce because the supermarkets make such a huge mark-up on organic. i also fail to see how it's cheaper for them to fly organic produce halfway across the world, than to buy from a local supplier.

I'm in college and I'm on a meal plan and nothing in the cafeteria is organic. But NEXT year I'll be living off campus and I can do my own food shopping, so I plan to get mostly organic.

ConsciousCuisine

Do you have much luck getting vegan food at school?

Quote Gorilla
    at least i can buy organic fruit and veg loose if i go to a wholefood store or even a couple of greengrocers locally. i hate the fact that supermarket organic food is so over-packaged, i think it's to stop people passing organic produce off as regular produce because the supermarkets make such a huge mark-up on organic. i also fail to see how it's cheaper for them to fly organic produce halfway across the world, than to buy from a local supplier.
    In some places, there is not local supplier for certain produce. I know there isn't here. If I was to eat locally and organically, I would be stuck eating white potatoes 10 months of year, and tomatoes and iceburg lettuce the other 2 months.

i understand how that would be the case in an area like yours Tigerlily. but in the south of England there are plenty of farms that could supply the supermarkets, and yet they still ship fruit and veg from Spain, Italy, USA, New Zealand... fruit and veg that could be grown in our climate.

It's the same story here, Gorilla. The New York Times newspaper today had an article about a local grocery chain in Portland, OR (my new home in a few months!) that buys from local farms. Supposedly this is going to be a new trend here in the U.S. I think it may become a small trend, similar to organic products, but anything is a step in the right direction.

about 90% of my diet is organic. At work I get a box of fruit and veg for $55 every week and the rest I buy organic from various suppliers.

Do you have much luck getting vegan food at school?
    Yes, but not the greatest or healthiest stuff. Here are my options

- The sandwich counter- I get just tomatos and olive oil on whole wheat usually

- the mexican counter- tortilla or chips with refried beans, and then i put guacamole and salsa on it

- salad bar

- pasta with red sauce

- apple or banana or canned fruit salad

- sometimes they have cheese-free pizza

-bagels, peanut butter, jelly, or vegan margarine

-soymilk and cereal

mango woman

Quote eve
    I agree with Banana, and simply scrub the veggies or peel the fruit. To tell the truth, I actually avoid organic fruit and veggies as they are grown in masses of blood and bone, and manure. When I see these sacks of blood & bone, it confirms to me that organic is grown with the by-products of abattoirs. The biodynamic growers also use crushed horn. It is a choice between 2 evils really - either stuff grown with help from abattoirs, or stuff grown conventionally with help of chemicals (unless one has access to veganic garden foods). I have read that scientists show that chemical residue is absolutely minimal.

Excellent point.

Quote theashleybeyer
    Excellent point.
    True, unless it's grown in a vegan organic way.

http://www.mclveganway.org.uk/
    http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv97/vv97growing.html
    http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv99/vv99growing.html
    http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv98/vv98growing.html
    http://www.veganorganic.net/
    http://www.veganorganic.net/index.ph...d=11&Itemid=53
    http://www.pfaf.org/
    http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/vegan_organics.php

By the way, i don't think blood or bones is used here in organic farmss here, only manure, compost etc. After I moved to a rural area, I have discovered that manure also is used by many of the farmers that don't grow organically as well (in addition to chemical fertilizers). Why? Because they want to get rid of the manure I guess, and because it makes their plants grow faster/and or makes them stronger. And probably because it's tradition.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Korn
    True, unless it's grown in a vegan organic way.

http://www.mclveganway.org.uk/
    http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv97/vv97growing.html
    http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv99/vv99growing.html
    http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv98/vv98growing.html
    http://www.veganorganic.net/
    http://www.veganorganic.net/index.ph...d=11&Itemid=53
    http://www.pfaf.org/
    http://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/vegan_organics.php

By the way, i don't think blood or bones is used here in organic farmss here, only manure, compost etc. After I moved to a rural area, I have discovered that manure also is used by many of the farmers that don't grow organically as well (in addition to chemical fertilizers). Why? Because they want to get rid of the manure I guess, and because it makes their plants grow faster/and or makes them stronger. And probably because it's tradition.
    Exactly, conventional farmers use manure, blood etc. so organic or not, it's using anomal products unless it's veganic. Personally, I'd rather make the choice that is as vegan as possible, better for me and the environment, so when choosing between commercial and organic, organic always wins as long as the pocketbook can support that choice. Luckily, there are local farms which use natural and veganic methods and have standards that I appreciate and that I support, so the choice for me is, once again, clear. Organic/veganic.

I don't think organic is expensive- rather I am too used to the cheap, probably exploitive prices that supermarkets can get away with!

I estimate:

75% of my diet is organic
    99% of my bodycare products are organic
    "Ignorance is a curable disease"

I've only recently started buying organic stuff out of choice. I tend to buy what I can in the supermarket first as it's usually cheaper than in the health food stores. If it's not available in the supermarket I buy it in the health food store. And if I can't find it organically anywhere, I'll go back to the supermarket. Hassle at first, but I know what's sold where now so it's not too much trouble!

The main exception is fruit and veg. I really don't feel comfortable buying ANY fruit and veg in the supermarket. The uniform produce in it's wasteful packaging is enough of a visual stimuli to put me off, let alone knowing how far it's travelled, and how much is wasted. My local greengrocer sells organic potatoes, swede, carrots and mushrooms. He's planning to extend his range this year, so people must be interested in buying it. I hope it sells well. I let him know how much I appreciate it every time i go in.

I will go out of my way to buy organic. On Sunday I cycled into town to the farmers market. The only different veg they had from the greengrocers was cabbage. My friend suggested it was a wasted jouney, but I didn't mind at all. Plus I had a very enjoyable bike ride.

I would like to buy organic when there's an option all the time, but I am not working at the moment and living off benefits, so I sometimes cannot afford it. For example, I cannot afford to buy all my fruit and veg organic, as it is just too expensive from the health food shop, and a huge proportion of my budget is spent on fresh produce. And by the end of the week, when money's running short, I'll often opt, reluctantly, for the supermarket own brand baked beans, rather than the organic.
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

I'm yet to see any proof that organic food is any healthier so I don't personally buy organic.

My beautiful girlfriends mother has an organic farm. So we get a fair bit of organic veges from her. We also buy from independant organic food shops. But we also do buy food that is not organic, but very little.

As for the post above mine: Clearly organic food is better for you. Something without pesticides or preservatives has to be better for you. Anyway, with health aside, organic food is far far far far far more tastey than non-organic food.
    I don't need no make-up, I've got real scars.

Quote ConsciousCuisine View Post
    Exactly, conventional farmers use manure, blood etc. so organic or not, it's using anomal products unless it's veganic.
    I have never even heard of vegan organic until reading this post. So is fruit and vegetables only considered truly vegan if it is grown vegan organic. It seems like no matter what we eat there is some animal by product, I could drive myself nuts thinking about all this. It makes me confused on what I should and should not buy. I like to buy organic becasue it tastes better and is better for the environment.

Being vegan is about not causing pain to animals, not purely deleting everything out of your diet that may come in contact with an animal. This is where commonsense comes into play. Manure is not harmful. It's not extracted from the animals and does not cause harm to the animal. On my girlfriends mothers organic farm, they have two cows. Two cows which her mother and partner use the milk from. These two cows are treated beautifully and are not harmed in anyway. Some say the use of their manure is harmful and non-vegan like? Some people make me question peoples motives of why some people are vegan.

Also, alot of the time, most organic growers are part of a community and are strictly organic and free range who all share and feed off of each others resources. So you don't have to worry that much about organic growers being cruel folk.

Ps - I don't drink the milk from the cows, by the way. Not because it's harmful to the two cows, but because I don't need milk to stay alive.
    I don't need no make-up, I've got real scars.

Quote Mermaid07 View Post
    It makes me confused on what I should and should not buy.
    I just wrote something about this in the thread about manure.

(This thread keeps coming to the top of my "new posts", even though I have read the last post twice now!!)
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

(yes, it's annoying when people vote but don't post isn't it?)
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Ok - so I will say something already!

I get organic stuff when I eat from the garden - apart from that I suspect everything else is sprayed.

There is silverbeet, broad beans and citrus and olives available now; soon there will be a lot more as the weather is heating up and the fruit trees are in flower. There will be loads of pears this year - and this time I will endeavour to not give the entire crop to the birds!
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

I can't wait until I move to a large place and maybe get in more income. I'm going to try to buy at least half organic.

When I have children, I'd like to feed them almost organic.

I was thinking about this and it occurred to me that I buy a lot more organic dried stuff than fresh stuff.
    When buying rice, tea, beans and pulses, grains, dried fruit, etc I always make sure to buy organic. Its fairly easy to find such things here. But fresh organic stuff is much harder to find. So even tho I don't buy much organic fresh stuff, I suppose I'm eating quite a lot.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I go out of my way to buy organic, it's that important for health and the environment. When I go the long distance where organic is readily available, I load up on bulk organic grains....I save a lot by buying bulk. I get about 10 organic bulk grains, 5 types of beans, popcorn, yams, and the list goes on. I get organic bananas and freeze them so they will last, I use them in smoothies, I thaw them to use as an oil sub in cake, cookie and pancake recipes. I load up on organic corn and whole wheat tortillas and keep them frozen, I only buy the kind with no hydrogenated oils and, of course, vegan. I buy lots of greens and then come home and cook them and freeze them so they will stay fresh and pull them out as needed. I'm able to get frozen organic berries at my local market but they have a very limited organic dept, I can get some frozen organic veggies there. I also save money by making my own bean/tvp burgers thus saving a lot on faux deli meats plus by making my own I know they don't have hydrogentated oils and they are organic. I only pay .99 for a pound of organic tvp. Also, I try to choose locally grown foods for the sake of the environment. The thought of eating bug spray makes me cringe plus the run off into our water system is not cool.

There are lots of good articles here on organic food: http://www.organicconsumers.org/
    The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

Don't really buy organic because I'm not allowed because of money problems, but some things just are organic sometimes but I don't go out of my way to buy it, unfortunatly.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion