Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nuts

Default Nuts

Nuts should be stored in an airtight container away from sunlight - so the best way to keep them is in glass jars in a dark room or cupboard, right? Well I dont have any glass jars so I just make sure the plastics pakcaging is well wrapped round and help with an elastic band and I keep them in my clothes cupboard. Do you reckon that is good enough.

The reason why nuts should be stored this way is to stop the fats being changed by the air and sunlight by oxidation which makes healthy fats less healthy. For the same reason it is best ot eat nuts raw.

I would love to to a biochemical study of nuts over time under different conditions!!!! I guess it would be quite straight forward - at appointed times, extract the fats and run them out on a gas-liquid chromatography.... hmmmm

I use old swedish glace tubs fb.

ConsciousCuisine

i KEEP MINE IN THE FREEZER SO AS TO NOT ALLOW THEM TO OXIDIZE AND BECOME RANCID. (oops!, caps lock! )

I keep mine in Ziplock bags (or whatever brand) in a cabinet drawer.

I wonder what would happen if you had a refrigerated vacuum pump that you could keep in a dark place - then it would definitely be air-tight!

I have like planned out this whole experiment right- a selection of nuts and seeds each divided into sub-categories - light air and heat exposed, light exposed but air-tight and cool, heat exposed but air-tight and dark, air available but cool and dark, light warm but airtight, light in air but cool, warm in air but dark, and airtight dark and cool - and within each group fat analysis at the same time intervals over a pre-determined amount of time!

I think the idea of Swedish glace tubs is a good one except that as yet I have been good and havent eaten any! I am saving myselt up for that Caramel one coming out in October and the Swedish glace chocolate-coated sticks!

I have never heard of freezing nuts ... I dont suppose it does them any harm infact at the very least it will keep the protein stable. Still I would be too impatient waiting for them to thaw!!!!!

ConsciousCuisine

No thaw time needed, really. The refrigerator or freezer works just as well to keep them fresh...

Nut oils are some of the most susceptible to rancidity that there are, short of saturated animal fats. Keep all nuts in the freezer - you can buy more in bulk, and keep them longer - and any nut oils for salads in the fridge.

We do store in our refrigerator only.

I love the deep-freeze for storing nuts.

Smile favorite nut?

what is your favorite nut? mine is cashews because they taste kindof creamy and soft.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Brazil

Almonds make a great snack. Can't argue with cashews, though, FoxyTina!

Talking

I cannot really eat too much nuts - they make me feel sick. But I always loved macadamias and peanut butter is a weakness for me.

Apart from cedarblue, cashew . This could/should be changed to a poll perhaps.

Walnuts
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

psta...pastatio...psati...oh you know what i mean!

wuggy

Hazelnuts.

Oh, hazelnuts sound good. Are they available year-round in the bulk food aisle or something? I never noticed them, but I guess I never particularly searched, either.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

i didnt make it a poll because there are so many different kind of nuts, i dont know them all!

pecans
    Eve

cashews! mmmm!

Anything but walnuts. I really can't stomach them.

This could go so wrong...I am thinking like my students...

I am a big fan of cashews and brazil nuts...although I never eat brazil nuts unless they happen to be in something. My favoirte type of ice cream before I went Vegan...Ben and Jerry's had some with brazil nuts in them called rain forest crunch...I am cravin...BAH on B&J for no soy options yet.
    ~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Macadamias are my favourite! When I lived in Brisbane, I used to have a macadamia tree in my yard

Walnuts are my favorites, but I don't think there's a nut I don't like...

"I used to be able to name every nut that there was. And it used to drive my mother crazy, because she used to say, "Harlan Pepper, if you don't stop naming nuts," and the joke was that we lived in Pine Nut, and I think that's what put it in my mind at that point. So she would hear me in the other room, and she'd just start yelling. I'd say, "Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut." That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, "Would you stop naming nuts!" And Hubert used to be able to make the sound, he couldn't talk, but he'd go "rrrawr rrawr" and that sounded like Macadamia nut. Pine nut, which is a nut, but it's also the name of a town. Pistachio nut. Red pistachio nut. Natural, all natural white pistachio nut."
    "A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

LMAO! Nonemorebrow, that was hilarious! I love that movie!

Macadamias, filberts, almonds, cashews, pecans, peanuts...all of them pretty much! I <3 almond butter!!!!!!!!!!
    "May your life be a reflection of what you believe...be the change you want the world to be". -Ghandi

ConsciousCuisine

Default Soaked Nuts; Nutritional Powerhouses!

(To increase the digestablilty, assimilation of nutrients and favorable profile of all nuts and seeds, soak them first!)

Almonds: 20-24 make 1 oz.
    Calories: 164
    Fat grams: 14
    Saturated Fat grams: 1
    Protein grams: 6
    Fiber grams: 3
    Almonds are: High in Vitamin E and Calcium and 1 oz. has 25% of your USRDA of Magnesium.

Brazil Nuts: 6-8 make 1 oz.
    Calories: 186
    Fat grams: 19
    Saturated Fat grams: 5
    Protein grams: 4
    Fiber grams: 2
    A single Brazil nut has 15x the USRDA for Selenium, a cancer-fighting antioxidant.

Cashews: 16-18 make 1 oz.
    Calories: 160
    Fat grams: 13
    Saturated Fat grams: 2
    Protein grams: 5
    Fiber grams: 1
    Cashews are: High in Zinc, Copper, Magnesium and 1 oz. has more than 10% of the USRDA of Iron.

Hazelnuts: 18-21 make 1 oz.
    Calories: 178
    Fat grams: 17
    Saturated Fat grams: 1
    Hazelnuts are : High in mono-unsaturated fats; 1 oz. has more than 1 T. of Olive Oil.

Pecans: 18-20 halves make 1 oz.
    Calories: 196
    Fat grams: 20
    Protein grams: 3
    Pecans are: High in Copper and Zinc and 1 oz. has 17% of the USRDA of Thaimin.

Pistachios: 45-47 make 1 oz.
    Calories: 158
    Fat grams: 13
    Protein grams: 6
    Pistachios are: High in Potassium.

Walnuts: 12-14 halves make 1 oz.
    Calories: 185
    Fat grams: 18
    Fiber grams: 2
    Walnuts are: High in Alpha-Lineolenic Acids; 1 oz. has the USRDA.

ooo thanx this will definitely come in handy im always looking for the nutritional info about nuts online.

how long should i soak them for?

ConsciousCuisine

Nut or Seed
    Soaking time (Hrs.)
    Rinses per day
    Sprouting time (Days)

Almond
    12-24
    2-3
    0-2

Macadamia Nut
    4-6

Pecans
    6-12

Walnuts
    12-24
    2-3

Sunflower Seed (hulled)
    4-6
    0-4

Brown Sesame seeds
    4-6
    2-3

Barley
    2-10
    2-3
    1-2

Buckwheat
    6-8

Quinoa
    2-4
    2-3
    1-4

Hemp seed

do they still taste alright though?

(when i first saw the title 'soaked nuts' i thought it was gonna be some kind of bathing advice for blokes. )

ConsciousCuisine

I think I may have been *subconsciously* baiting you with the title, Tofu! I needed a good laugh and as usual, I can rely on you to help out in that area!

Default Where can I buy raw-unshelled nuts?

I stumbled upon nutsonline.com, they seem pretty decent But I don't know the quality of their nuts...do you know a good store?

ConsciousCuisine

Where do you live?

Default Fruit and Nut Allergy

I have recently been getting a tightness in my throat after I have been eating certain fruits (especially mangoes and it happened with god forbid dates today!), and whenever I eat anything with nuts in them, my stomach gets these stabbing pains and I get diarrhoa. Are these symptoms of an allergy?

PinkFluffyCloud

Yes!
    I think you need to get tested!

Thanx PFC - I will

hi banana

if you go to your doctor and he/she agrees that allergy testing is necessary, make sure the hospital/surgery know exactly what food allergens they are looking for - you need to be quite specific as there are obviously hundreds of food items to check for. it may be a certain group of foodstuffs you cannot tolerate, they should also be able to give you a list of other foods to be avoided.

there is a difference between an intolerance and an allergy - make sure the doctor understands the difference and is very clear to you which, if either, are relevant.

my daughter is allergic to certain nuts, ie brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts and so we avoid all nut products just in case (she went into anaphalactic shock after eating a brazil). a friend of mines' lips feel fuzzy and buzzy after eating a small amount of kiwi fruit, so reactions can vary.

good luck with testing!

I've read that allergies or sensitivities to mangoes and kiwi fruit are very common. My other half doesn't get on with mangoes - they make his mouth feel funny - although if he avoids the skin (i.e. if I peel the mango for him first ) he is usually OK.

In the case of kiwi fruits I read that a sensitivity often comes on if you eat a great many of them over a period. Not sure if it would go away again if you laid off them for a while.

Default Nuts

Can we talk about nuts for a second?? We all have to learn sometime or another that the oils in peanuts aren't good for you, which obviously I have learned. But what I am not sure of is the other nuts. Can you guys help me out??
    Last edited by Korn; Feb 2nd, 2005 at 06:34 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    "Its bad karma to fuck with the stoned"- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Comentary (found on criterion collection)

According to articles like "Peanuts Rival Fruit As Source Of Health-promoting Antioxidants, Researchers Say" recently, the peanut isn't such a bad guy.

Yes, this is interesting:

"When it comes to antioxidant content, peanuts are right up there with strawberries,” said Steve Talcott, an assistant professor of food science and human nutrition at UF’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. “We expected a fairly high antioxidant content in peanuts, but we were a bit shocked to find that they’re as rich in antioxidants as many kinds of fruit.”

Talcott and other UF researchers tested the antioxidant content of a dozen different peanut varieties in a study published recently in an issue of the journal Food Chemistry dated May 2005.

Antioxidants are chemicals that block the aging effects of free radicals – unstable molecules naturally occurring in the human body that damage living cells. The damage caused by free radicals has been linked to heart disease, stroke, certain cancers and macular degeneration of the eye.

The growing reputation of antioxidants has led an increasing number of people to include more fruits in their diets, particularly those that are orange or red in color, because such foods have been found to be rich in the health-promoting chemicals. Vitamins A, C, and E are recognized as antioxidants, and polyphenols – a family of chemicals commonly found in foods – also have strong antioxidant properties. Peanuts are a good source of Vitamin E, but in the past they typically have not been considered an antioxidant-rich food, largely because of a lack of data on their polyphenol content.

Now UF researchers have found that peanuts contain high concentrations of polyphenols– chiefly a compound called p-coumaric acid. And they found that roasting can increase the level of p-coumaric acid in peanuts, boosting their overall antioxidant content by as much as 22 percent."

Peanuts are also very protein rich, and good for reducing homocysteine levels due the high folate levels. Folate is of extra importance for people who might be low on B12.

I just discovered that some peanut-enthusiasts have even created a non-profit organization called The Peanut Institute.

But TheFirstBus were asking about nuts... sorry . (Peanuts are actually legumes.)
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

As a peanut lover, thanks gertvegan and Korn for the urls.
    Eve

i recently discovered that tesco dry roasted peanuts are vegan. hoorah.

If you find out that St.Michael's Extra Large Peanuts from Marks & Spencer are not vegan, please don't let me know.

PinkFluffyCloud

Korn, I wouldn't have taken you for an M&S type!

Thanks. Don't. But these peanuts are soooo good!

Default Re: Nuts

I am eating a spinach and pear salad right now with carmalized pecans...i heart pecans.