Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nuts

PolluxStar

Default Re: Nuts

I don't really like Nuts.

I love Cashews only.

I eat Peanut Butter when I really need it... my protein levels are probably on the minimum on which you can live ... lol

Default Soaking nuts to make them digestable...

Whenever I eat nuts I get a tummyache, and I get excema. This applies to all nuts, raw or roasted. I don't care for nuts much, except for macadamias! They are heavenly little balls of rich, sweet creamyness *drools!

Anyway, I would love to be able to stuff my medjool dates with the butter of this delightful nut without feeling like someone is punching me from the inside and looking like you could play 'join the dots' on my legs and arms.

Soaking nuts are supposed to make them more "digestable" - would this help with the stomach aches and excema, or is this a lost cause for me?

Seaside

Default Re: Soaking nuts to make them digestable...

You could try soaking your own raw macadamias before toasting them or turning them into nut butter. Soaking roasted ones won't do any good.

Cover 1-2 cups nuts with twice as much water and soak for 12 hours. Drain, and rinse them 2 to 3 times a day for 2 days.

It could be a food combining issue, though, if this does not help you. Try the macadamias all by themselves at first and see if they make you sick. If they don't, then try them with dates. Unfortunately, food combining adherents say that you musn't combine fruits with nuts. It doesn't seem to be an issue for everyone, but it could be for you.

tails4wagging

I would back off them for a while, sounds as if you are getting an allergy against them??.

I have had nuts on their own and I always get that effect. I think I have an allegy but a mild one.

spo

Quote tails4wagging
    I would back off them for a while, sounds as if you are getting an allergy against them??.
    Hi, Banana
    I was just thinking the same thing as Tails, here. Eczema rashes, accompanied by stomach pains, are signs of an allergic reaction. Nut allergies are now rampant in the population, so I would follow Tails' advice and back off on nuts for a while. Maybe consult your doctor about this. If you continue eating nuts a more serious and generalized reaction might occur.
    Just a word of caution..
    spo

Question shelf life of nuts and seeds

what is the shelf life of nuts and seeds? how quickly do they go rancid?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Default Re: shelf life of nuts and seeds

I would like to know this too - as I have had some almonds in the pantry for quite some time.

I seem to remember someone saying that nuts keep better in a sealed container in the fridge.

If I'm remembering right, it's about 1 month in the fridge and 3-6 months in the freezer.

I store mine in the freezer, cause I love their flavour when they're frozen.
    It's vegan, which means it's vegetarian which means there's nothing unheathy in it. -- my guy trying to explain vegan junkfood.

Quote Kiva Dancer
    If I'm remembering right, it's about 1 month in the fridge and 3-6 months in the freezer.

I store mine in the freezer, cause I love their flavour when they're frozen.
    I think it's a bit longer than that! Maybe you live in a climate that's really unfriendly to nuts, but when I buy packets of nuts they usually have a sell by that's about a year in advance.

It could be that there's also a different shelf life for raw nuts and processed nuts.

My understanding is that all nuts and seeds should be stored in a very cool place or an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. I have certainly had nuts in my refrigerator that have been fine for up to 6 months - they don't usually last longer than that. You can usually taste when they have gone rancid.

Hope that helped.

Thanks Dianecrna

from my experience, they are bad when they get soft and mushy....some will even turn black on the inside. I have frozen almonds that lasted for over a year without a problem. I dont know how good they would be thawed, but they still work well in baking -- which is mostly all I use them for

I love almond butter on toast. H&B sell it (just add toast)

Pistachio nuts are my favourite, followed by cashews and dry roasted peanuts. Though cashews are a little rich, can't eat too many of them without feeling sick, and I'm pretty sure the only thing I like about dry roasted peanuts is the seasoning on them - I think peanuts are horrible on their own.

I really love pistachios though, could eat them by the pound. If only they weren't so fattening... =(

Quote miss_laura
    and I'm pretty sure the only thing I like about dry roasted peanuts is the seasoning on them
    you probably already know this but just in case, i've found that the seasoning on dry roasted peanuts isn't always vegan so you gotta check - unless you buy the same brand all the time.

Yeah - I found out about that the hard way, my dad always buys vegan ones, from Tesco I think, but one day he came back with some from Sainsbury's, in almost identical packaging, and it was only after I'd had a handful that I realised that they were a different brand, and contained lactose

It seems ridiculous, milk in nuts. Whatever next...

Hi, here's a link showing the nutrient levels of some nuts and seeds:
    http://www.purifymind.com/NutsSeeds.htm

i love nuts. i eat so many of them!! ive gone mad on cashew nut butter at the mo

Quote Roxy View Post
    I would like to know this too - as I have had some almonds in the pantry for quite some time.

I seem to remember someone saying that nuts keep better in a sealed container in the fridge.
    Yes Roxy, nuts should be kept like this.

Manish