Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scandinavian vegans?

Default Scandinavian vegans?

Are there any Scandinavian vegans here? I saw a few who posted in other threads from Scandinavian countries, I just thought I'd start up a thread specifically for the Scandinavian community.

I've been to Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland and really like them all! I have Danish heritage and would love to go back there someday!

I write for the Danish Vegetarian Magazine so if any of you are in Denmark, check out Vegetaren sometime.

Hopefully I'll hear from someone
    Robert Cheeke
    "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strong pull of what you love" -Annonymous

Default Re: Scandinavian Vegans?

Not from Scandinavia myself, but would also be interested in making contact with those that are - hubby and I are Scandinavian junkies - we can't get enough of those countries . Also been to Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden (for a few hours!) and going back to Copenhagen and Malmo for a few days at the begining of June.

Plums

I'm from Denmark

Hence the name - I figured that if you're a Scandinavian vegan, you would be a Scandinavegan...

Quote ScandinaVegan
    I'm from Denmark

Hence the name - I figured that if you're a Scandinavian vegan, you would be a Scandinavegan...
    LOL .

What part of Denmark are you from? I'm afraid I've only visited the greater Kobnhaven area, Roskilde and up to Helsingor - but had a great time.

Plums

Hello

I am from Scandinavia, I am an norvegan .

I was on one holiday in Denmark when I was a little girl. I also want to visit Sweden and Finland.

I`m from Finland and living there (not planning to move abroad). I`ve been nowhere else but in Sweden for a couple of hours in a ship

i'm from finland too; though (to be a drag) it isn't 'really' scandinavia, as isn't iceland . i have been in denmark as a kid (and gone through by car on my way back home via sweden, though i think i was sleeping ). and a couple of hours in norway once - basically, i saw a really narrow, oversnowed road, and got roadsick.

Quote ~Luna~
    I`m from Finland and living there (not planning to move abroad). I`ve been nowhere else but in Sweden for a couple of hours in a ship
    I went to Finnish Lapland in December and had a brilliant time - all the snow (it's great for us to see landscapes like that, we're not used to such 'Christmas card' images in real life ).

Stayed in Akaslompolo in Yllas and had a go at cross country skiing. Would love to go back - winter and summer.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find soya milk and yoghurt, yeast pate and the like - how do you find being vegan in Finland. Is this stuff easy to get hold of everywhere? Is it because there are a lot of people who are lactose intolerant (I saw a lot of things that said Laktos fri - excuse the spelling )?

Plums

Quote PlumsOfDoom
    I was also pleasantly surprised to find soya milk and yoghurt, yeast pate and the like - how do you find being vegan in Finland. Is this stuff easy to get hold of everywhere? Is it because there are a lot of people who are lactose intolerant (I saw a lot of things that said Laktos fri - excuse the spelling )?

Plums
    Nowadays it`s quite easy to find soy products and other "specialities" but it hasn`t always been like that. In smaller stores there may be just one kind of soy milk available. I think there aren`t that many lactose intolerants really but they have lots to choose from because Finns are used to use a lot of milk products. Everything has to be written in Finnish as well as in Swedish (=two official languages) so laktosfri = laktoositon = lactose free

Quote ~Luna~
    Nowadays it`s quite easy to find soy products and other "specialities" but it hasn`t always been like that. In smaller stores there may be just one kind of soy milk available. I think there aren`t that many lactose intolerants really but they have lots to choose from because Finns are used to use a lot of milk products. Everything has to be written in Finnish as well as in Swedish (=two official languages) so laktosfri = laktoositon = lactose free
    Cool, thanks for that.

I love the Finnish language . To a foreigner it seems really complicated, but very interesting. I spent a lot of time reading food packets in the supermarket, but I'm afraid I coped with the Swedish better than the Finnish (knowing a bit of German).

Plums

Quote Glossgirl
    Hello

I am from Scandinavia, I am an norvegan .
    LOL

I live in Sundsvall, Sweden. (I'm a Swegan).

It's difficult finding anything vegan if you wanna eat out here. And there aren't many different "protein products" (that are completely vegan) in the stores to choose between, mostly just one , in some stores nothing at all. Stockholm is much better.
    Auschwitz begins wherever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals.
    -Theodor Adorno (1903-1969), German Jewish philosopher forced into exile by the Nazis

Hi!
    I also live in Finland (Hämeenlinna). I have been a veggie for over 20 years but only recently turned vegan. Whilst veggie food is easy to find in Finland, vegan stuff is more problematic. But I was happy that I found vegan cheese today for the very first time (in Helsinki though).
    Great to see Finns here on a vegan forum! Let´s get together and make a difference!

Petra

Quote Babylon View Post
    Hi!
    I also live in Finland (Hämeenlinna). I have been a veggie for over 20 years but only recently turned vegan. Whilst veggie food is easy to find in Finland, vegan stuff is more problematic. But I was happy that I found vegan cheese today for the very first time (in Helsinki though).
    Cool! I lived near Hämeenlinna for 19 years and just recently moved to Helsinki.

There were some vegan cheese sorts in Hml as far as I can remember. At least Tofutti mozzarella or cheddar in CityMarket and some Edam-style hard cheese and Tofutti cream cheese in both CityMarket and Prisma (I guess Prisma was the only store there to sell vegan sausage [Poutun kasvisgrilleriä siis]). Have you checked also the SinunKaupat in the center?

(I answered even though you didn`t actually ask But yeah, in Helsinki it is a lot easier to find vegan specialities. Btw, I guess you already know the forum http://www.oikeuttaelaimille.net/foorumi/?)

Moi Luna!

I just found the forum last night and I am reading the posts just now.
    Thank you for your help with Veggie cheeses - I will give CityMarket/Prisma another try.
    Where in Helsinki do you live? I come down a lot, especially in the summer as I am a "Helsingin Turisti Opas".
    I find it really hard to meet other veggies here in Finland - everybody seems to love meat and fish.....

Quote Babylon View Post
    Where in Helsinki do you live? - - -
    I find it really hard to meet other veggies here in Finland - everybody seems to love meat and fish.....
    In Pukinmäki. I got an apartment via HOAS as I got into the University of Helsinki after having graduated this spring. I haven`t met many veggies here either but then again, I`m not that social

(Related to the University, I`ve heard they`ve started to offer more vegan options at UniCafe`s.)

i'm from copenhagen, denmark

I'm Swedish. I live in London and Stockholm alternately. Originally, I'm from a tiny place called Jokkmokk (say it: Yockmock) which is inside the Arctic Circle! Nowadays most of my family live in Stockholm and Linköping. The vegetarian/vegan culture isn't so established there, except for in Umeå where they have a huge straight-edge movement. In Jokkmokk (and even further North where our summer cottages are - not even a village, more like a hamlet) it's pretty much impossible to be vegan.

Quote Bodybuilder View Post
    Are there any Scandinavian vegans here? I saw a few who posted in other threads from Scandinavian countries, I just thought I'd start up a thread specifically for the Scandinavian community.

I've been to Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland and really like them all! I have Danish heritage and would love to go back there someday!

I write for the Danish Vegetarian Magazine so if any of you are in Denmark, check out Vegetaren sometime.

Hopefully I'll hear from someone
    do you have a website? I was just trying to look you up on the web but don't quite see anything.

I was an exchange student in Denmark. Brønderslev, to be exact. Can't imagine being vegan there, but then I didn't try.

I wouldn't like to be a vegan in Brønderslev either - but it's not really that hard to get nice, vegan, organic food here.. in Nørrebro, Copenhagen, there is a lot of health stores with a lot of vegan food. then there is a couple of places in copenhagen (like 5 or 6), where they have something vegan on the menu.. but most vegans in denmark are from the political diy-punk movement around Ungdomshuset (http://www.ungeren.dk)

I live in Stockholm and that is in SWEDEN -> Scandinavia !!!!!!
    .....and I am from Sweden (Malmö)......finns det några Malmöiter här??
    .....eller några Stockholmare???

Hello everybody and specially everybody from scandinavia. I'm from Finland and I live in Helsinki. I have been elsewhere in scandinavia too... I have visited in Norway, Denmark and Sweden. That's the real scandinavia. Anyway I'm glad that I found this forum. Let's get to know each other or something. And it is facilitate hear that there are scandinavian people also.

It was talk about vegan food and stuff. I think also that it is difficult to find vegan stuff in Finland. But food is easier. I'm planning to order vegan stuff from abroad. Winter is coming and I have no shoes.

boatsteem1

Oh, haven't I posted here yet?

I'm swede, living in Karlstad in western Sweden. I work with large carnivores.

To cinnamon, I'm wondering, do you have a lot of vegan food in finnish groceries? I guess in the larger cities you have, but what about in the smaller cities with 10 000 to 50 000 people?

I was born in Sweden, but my parents are from Finland, and we moved back here when I was a child. I am currently living in Finland, I´ve also lived in Oslo, Norway and in London, UK.

I would love to move back to the UK, maybe Scotland.

I think that it is easy to find vegan food in Finland, I´ve even found tofu in a small village in Lapland (my mom is from Lapland).

Nice to know that people have tofu in Lapland.I hope there live a lot of vegertarians too . I was visiting in Uppsala last year and there was much more vegetarian food available than we have in Finland. Of course it is also the question of grocery. But I think that in smaller cities they don't have organic groceries so many.

What kind of situation is it in Sweden with vegetarian stuff and food (mazzatael)?

RubyDuby

cinnamon- u can order vegan shoes online too!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

This might be interesting for anyone is south sweden or denmark http://www.vegomassan.org/
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

I'm a Swedish/ Norwegian living in US. In my experience, Sweden is one of the easiest countries to find vegetarian food. Sometimes you can even find veggie meals when you travel along the road. And they're usually willing to accommodate you if it's not on the menu. I've never experienced that in Norway.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    cinnamon- u can order vegan shoes online too!
    Dear RubyDuby sure i can and i honestly will order vegan shoes online. I found a lot of different kind of shoes and I was astonished!

Windfall

I was born in sweden

boatsteem1

Quote cinnamon View Post
    Nice to know that people have tofu in Lapland.I hope there live a lot of vegertarians too . I was visiting in Uppsala last year and there was much more vegetarian food available than we have in Finland. Of course it is also the question of grocery. But I think that in smaller cities they don't have organic groceries so many.

What kind of situation is it in Sweden with vegetarian stuff and food (mazzatael)?
    My experience travelling around in Sweden is that you can get some kind of vegan food almost anywhere you go. Even small groceries in villages with less than 1 000 people usually have tofu ice cream, falafel, vegan butter, soy or oat milk, and so on.

Restaurants are always a problem, of course (all restaurants have vegetarian alternatives, but vegan is rare). I was positively surprised when I visited a zoo up in Lycksele in northern Sweden. They actually served falafel there. And another restaurant up there made me some woked vegetables with thai sauce and tagliatelle. (When I said vegans need to eat more than others they made me this jumbo plate free of charge which even I couldn't eat up )

boatsteem1

Quote kriz View Post
    I'm a Swedish/ Norwegian living in US. In my experience Sweden is one of the easiest countries to find vegetarian food. Sometimes you can even find veggie meals when you travel along the road. And they're usually willling to accommondate if it's not on the menu - like making a sandwich or something. I've never experienced that in Norway.
    Oh, that's interesting! Do you know why Norway is so much different?

boatsteem1

Quote veganlinda View Post
    This might be interesting for anyone is south sweden or denmark http://www.vegomassan.org/
    WOOOW!! In Sweden?! AWESOME!!!!

A real show with just vegan food?

I've got to go there! Just looking at these pictures makes me drool.

I'm from Copenhagen. It's not hard being a vegan here, but I wouldn't call it easy either.

My Dad's a Dane (along with his side of my family)

I don't speak much Danish, I'd love to learn but I can never find classes, and books are useless!!

Quote !! View Post
    My Dad's a Dane (along with his side of my family)

I don't speak much Danish, I'd love to learn but I can never find classes, and books are useless!!
    I've heard that danish is a very hard language to learn. Don't know about any learning books... But there must be some, otherwise you can just write if you need some specific danish sentences

I think the accent is lovely although not so not easy for english speakers but the structure and some of the words are very similar to english (I learnt swedish and find I can understand quite a bit of danish). Amazon has some courses with cds and computer courses http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...eywords=danish . A visit to Denmark to visit VF folk might be a fun way to learn
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

You can just come I would be happy to meet some vegans ss.. Yeah Danish, swedish and norwegian is similar so if you learn one language you might understand some of the others... I find it hard to understand some swedish but norwegian is much easier

I once learned some Norwegian swearing

Sorry - that's not really helpful I suppose.

Hehe, what did you learn, Roxy?

Quote Roxy View Post
    I once learned some Norwegian swearing
    Do you remember it? hehe

Quote Stine View Post
    ... I find it hard to understand some swedish but norwegian is much easier
    I am norwegian .. and I find it hard to understand danish ... swedish is a bit easier, lol. Reading danish and swedish is easier for me than reading some of the norwegian dialects.

Quote Glossgirl View Post
    I am norwegian .. and I find it hard to understand danish ... swedish is a bit easier, lol.
    Enig.

Okay Think norwegian is quite similar to danish but a bit more singing... or how you say that... (syngende)... Its very easy to read Norwedian bokmål

I think danish is a bit more singing, lol. I think its easier to read danish than nynorsk

ha ha yeah I would imagine that... have heard that most norwegians don't understand nynorsk... Also strange you have two different writen languages

If you plan to travel to Finland vegan, what is your best advice?
    Last edited by Lifeonmars; Aug 16th, 2008 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Wrong font

Quote hedgefire View Post
    The vegetarian/vegan culture isn't so established there, except for in Umeå where they have a huge straight-edge movement.
    I´m from Umeå SxE Hard Core city! weeeehhh!!!
    It´s easy to be vegan there.

But for now. I´m living in Oslo.
    www.myspace.com/mon_cherrie

Co-existence

Hi Scandinavian Vegans..

I'm Graeme (Scottish roots) from Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark..been vegan for 5 1/2 years now and loving it more every day!!

I wonder how many danes are on the veganforum.com..? ..please say hi and make my day

btw., please also check out our fair trade and 100% organic vegan clothing brand on:

www.paganae.net
    (web-shop open

Cheers,

Graeme

Co-existence

ohh, also..If anyone knows why my profile picture isn't showing, please let me know
    it's 264 x 248 and 20 KB (it's max is 300 by 300 and 29.3 KB)
    ..I can see it the User Control Panel under 'profile picture', but it isn't showing when I post..thanks