Thread: anorexia / interested in becoming a vegan

Default anorexia / interested in becoming a vegan

Hi, I'm new here and I'm interested in becoming a Vegan. I have done research over the last couple of years and have come to the conclusion that I would like to become a Vegan for the following reasons:
    Animal welfare
    I have issues with farming practices (again animal welfare, environmental impact)
    health benefits
    However, I have struggled with anorexia for 12 years and been hospitalized numerous times. The only thing that has kept me from becoming a Vegan is that so many of the foods that Vegans eat (nuts, beans, lentils, etc.) are scary for me because they seem to have more calories and fats for the volume of food compared to lean meats, and lean fishes.
    As a Vegan, I would only be interested in eating foods that are not processed and have as few ingredients as possible (i.e., no preservatives, extra sugars, strange chemicals, etc.) so I would really have no choice except to eat the foods I fear.
    I am genuinely trying to recover. I want to become healthy, putting only the best things in my body and I want to live my life to the fullest. However, I am in a bad spell and I'm having a G tube (a feeding tube that goes into the stomach) inserted in mid-May after my semester (finishing up my bachelor's degree) is over. I am ready to get better, but I have been only eating about 300-700 calories a day for many months. I know this is not healthy and it's certaintly not treating my body well. As I now only eat protein and dairy a few times a week (b/c of the anorexia), I would like to eat a Vegan diet, slowly increasing the amount for my health, as I begin to get better.
    I guess I'm wondering if there are any other Vegans out there who have anorexia (or are on a diet) because I need to gradually go from few calories (to eventually more). What kinds of foods are 'safe' or how do you be a Vegan on a reduced calorie diet?
    Again, I want to reiterate that I truly want to become a Vegan for very good reasons. One more benefit, for me specifically, would be that I would have to 'challenge' my eating disorder and eat foods that are scary and that I avoid.
    Thanks all.

Default Re: anorexia and Veganism

Hi and welcome!

We do have a thread about eating disorders here. From what you write, it seems to be important for you to try to deal with and slowly overcome your fear of calories, in order to be able to eat more (healthy) food.

As you know, the vegan idea is about moving the focus a little bit outside ourself: to think less about what might be unpleasant, uncomfortable or even frightening for us, and also take what might be frightening and uncomfortable for others, including animals into consideration... not that it's unpleasant or uncomfortable to be a vegan, (check out this and this thread!!); but change can always be challenging - some people change it whenever possible, even when they know that a change would be better for them. Maybe it's easier to live with your fear of calories if you remember and acknowledge that it's possible to do something (like eating calories) and feel uncomfortable at the same time, without stopping doing what you do (eat). I think what we focus on in life (and how we focus on it)is a lot more important than what we experience.

I have no first hand experience with eating disorders (so don't listen to me!), but from what I've seen in the eating disorder thread, it is possible to combine the wish not to harm oneself with a desire not to harm others.

You mention protein, maybe this and this thread about vegan proteins would interest you...

(You mention a serious medical condition you have, and even if you don't ask for help with that condition in itself, I'll use the opportunity to remind our visitors that the forum isn't meant as a substitute for getting professional help in cases where this is needed - we never offer 'medical advice' on this site.)

Good luck with diving into our threads!

Default Re: anorexia / interested in becoming a vegan

Like Korn, I don't have experience of an eating disorder as such. When I became depressed a couple of years ago I lost a lot of weight and ate very little. I became Vegan just as I was beating depression and, although I didn't become Vegan for health reasons, it was the best thing I had ever done for my health. I gained around 2 stone just by starting to eat more sensibly.

An eating disorder is obviously extremely hard to overcome, but it certainly sounds like you are ready to do it. I'm sure that everyone here will help and support you in whatever way they can

Hi Mizzourunner

Generally speaking, I'm sure that people on a vegan diet eat far less fat than people eating lean meat and dairy so I don't think you need to worry about the fats too much.

If the idea of nuts is too scary at the moment, maybe you could try things like baked tofu, soya mince, gluten-based proteins?

When I am at people's houses and see meat fat left on oven trays I am always horrified by how horribly stubborn it is! No wonder it sticks to your arteries! I would imagine that even if you *are* having *slightly* more fat that because it is unsaturated and cholesterol free that it can only be a good thing for your body.

I hope it goes well for you

thanks for the feedback.
    Things are going well. I haven't completely transitioned to Veganism yet. Taking it slowly. I don't know if I said this before, but my intake of meat/fish/poultry has been very limited for several months so that part of the transition hasn't been hard. I was only eating chicken or tuna one-two x a week, maximum.
    I've started eating some Vegan products--The only thing that I'm eating that is clearly NOT vegan is plain organic yogurt and Greek yogurt (both dairy based). Eventually, I will switch to soy yogurt, but not yet.
    This is what I've been eating:
    fruits
    vegetables
    soy nuts
    peanut butter
    whole wheat pitas (checked to make sure they have no animal derivatives)
    multigrain crackers (also checked)
    roasted red pepper hummus
    I think I'm doing well and these foods are still 'safe' in terms of how I feel about the calories.
    I still want to keep things simple and the introduction of peanut butter and soy nuts was a huge challenge as well as committing to eating pita bread and crackers (fear of carbs...).
    I'm excited about continuing to learn about Veganism, animal rights and the environmental effects that farming (for animals and their products) causes.

well, i live off fruits and veg and they are both extremely low in calories so you really shouldn't have any problem!

Hello! Welcome to our lovely, if not a little crazy, forum

Also, congrats on the vego-ness! As the others say, I am sure you will find support here in any form that you would like it.

You seem to be trying to tackle the transition carefully in the way you find best. Their is a zillion different sources of advice on here, and I am sure you will see lots of obscure foods that you might be able to try while you battle your fears. Some less obscure but perhaps less obviously vegan? Either way, there are lots of great ideas on here that I am sure you can pluck something of use out of! We all 'do' veganism differently.
    Hopefully hear more from you soon.

welcome here mizzourunner - i hope you gain encouragement, support and friends here.

wishing you all the best with your journey.

hi,
    im sorry to hear about your struggle with anorexia. welcome to the forum, and i hope that veganism is a good thing for you.

when i am trying to cut calories, i eat 75-90% raw. i eat organic, fresh vegetables & fruits mainly all day. ill throw in about 10 almonds or pistachios, and eat some sietan for protien. it is the lowest fat and very high protien of all the protien sources.

i wish you luck with your recovery, i know you can do it!

with that in mind, do realize that veganism is a very restrictive diet, and that it may not be the best thing for you during your recovery process. i am NOT incouraging you to eat animal products, but to keep in mind what is best for you!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Thumbs up Re: anorexia / interested in becoming a vegan

I also had an ED a couple of years ago (while still vegetarian) and I guess I`m still in the process of recovering (an outsider can`t notice it but I know I still have weird habits etc.).

There are many vegans out there who have beaten anorexia and we know you can do it, even if it takes time. Try to find something you like doing (something like painting, writing, sewing.. preferably something creative) because that could help you concentrate on something else than calories.

As far as I know, the main problem after having eaten very small amounts for a long time is that one feels awfully full very easily. Small meals and snacks in between should help, as well as trying to find something that`s not too hard to digest. I could think of lentils with rice, a tofu smoothie with banana (and strawberries maybe, they sweeten nicely so you don`t need that much sugar), whole wheat crackers with blueberry soup (around there blueberry soup is fed for kids who have had a flue or a stomach bug).. Just my two cents.

I've heard a lot about raw foodism curing anorexia. Because the food is so healthy and it's virtually impossible to gain weight, while you're still getting tons of nutrients, so they don'tr feel guilty after they eat. So a lot of people who have dealt with ED's turn to raw foodism and it helps them out.

And remember that all vegans have different diets. How your body responds depends on how you eat. Some vegans eat a ton of veggies and fresh foods, while some vegans bake cookies and eat Peanut Chews (AHEMM.. me) On a vegan diet, one can lose weight (in a healthy or an unhealthy way) or they can gain weight (in a healthy or an unhealthy way) OR they can stay the same. But the average vegan eats sooo much healthier than the average standard-american-diet type person, so I think that turning to veganism is always a positive thing.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Quote jjdaiquiri
    do realize that veganism is a very restrictive diet, and that it may not be the best thing for you during your recovery process. i am NOT incouraging you to eat animal products, but to keep in mind what is best for you!
    Restrictive?! Most people who switch to a Vegan diet discover a whole range of nutritious, healthy foods that they never even knew existed? Cutting out animals doesn't = restrictive!

Congrats on your progress btw; it seems like you are overcoming your fear of food, which is fantastic!

All the best x

Quote Glen
    Restrictive?! Most people who switch to a Vegan diet discover a whole range of nutritious, healthy foods that they never even knew existed? Cutting out animals doesn't = restrictive!
    It is true that a vegan diet includes a whole range of nutritious, healthy foods but for new vegans it can be hard to learn how to access these foods. For example it is very hard to find foods to eat in take aways and restaurants. Vegan junk food is also not available everywhere to the extent that omni junk food is.
    I also think that veganism can be appealing to people with eating disorders because unless we banlance our diet with conscious effort a wholefood vegan diet can easily be very lacking in fats. Most people who just live off fruit and veg and omit nuts and oils (and no, this is not a balanced began diet) will lose weight.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

hello mizzourunner. welcome to the forum! - hope you'll get as much out of it as i have.

well, i'm recovering from ED at the moment, i've been suffering from anorexia/bulimia for the past seven years, and haven't been eating meat for the past five. been a vegan for two years now. and it's really been beneficial to me, since eating vegan means eating much healthier (well, for us health freaks anyway), and eating healthier means balancing your weight and making you think clearer, and get much more energy. i still diet pretty often, but now i can control it! i have the energy for letting myself eat. i'm not afraid of foods anymore. i wouldn't say that veganism can cure ED, but it sure as hell makes it easier.
    i hope you'll get better soon, and remember; no matter how hard the journey is, no matter how alone you feel without anorexia, it's the best for you. you WILL get better.

The best wishes!