Thread: pepsi

Default pepsi

is it vegan, ive been searching the internet for ages and just going round in circles...

Geoff

Default Re: pepsi

Who cares? They're multinational arseholes who sponsored bullfighting. See: http://www.sharkonline.org/bullfighting-news0001.mv

cvC

What's at the following link suggests that it may well not be. It contains a photo of a nutritional information leaflet from a Burger King in the U.S. and which, contrary to what was apparently found on their website, describes Coca Cola Classic as containing "natural flavors from animal and plant sources". Information is also given at the link that "cola may contain ester gums as emulsifer. Ester gum uses glycerol, which can be of animal origin. Coca cola admits that glycerin (could be either animal or vegetarian) is an ingredient."

http://www.rense.com/general50/class.htm

If you look at the ingredients for Pepsi, they are vegan.. The IVU (international vegetarian union) site contained the following in their FAQs.

Recently, I learned that pepsin is a chemical which contains pig blood and is used in Pepsi Cola and Coca Cola. Is that true?

No, they originally did but don't now. Pepsi was named after pepsin. Although this is a common myth it is not true. Neither Pepsi nor Coca Cola contain pepsin.

But as Geoff said, Pepsi is not an ethical company. And in my opinion does not qualify, as vegan.

Thanks for the link Geoff!
    Life is like a boomerang: What goes around comes around - "Karma"rocks!

If only someone made a Vegan caffiene free cola.

FR

The high fructose corn syrup used in Pepsi and Coke is loaded with GMO's. So, regardless of those products being vegan, if they even are, should be avoided based on their high GMO content alone.

From McSpotlight.org

"The main criticism of PepsiCo Inc. is the fact that it operates in countries considered to be oppressive regimes. (...)

PepsiCo has in-house animal-testing facilities, where it conducts nutritional studies on laboratory rats. It also sponsors experiments to test the safety of certain ingredients.

PepsiCo owns Kentucky Fried Chicken, the world's largest quick-service chicken restaurant with outlets in 58 countries. KFC has been the focus of protests in India recently."

LINK

FR

Ahh, the animal testing. Looks like you have your answer *lydia*, Pepsi isn't vegan.

Quote FR
    The high fructose corn syrup used in Pepsi and Coke
    It's not in Coke or Pepsi in the UK, FR.

I used to drink both but gave them up because of the testing of the artificial sweeteners. They are both vegan though in a dietary way.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote spjessop
    http://www.hansens.com/products/prod_natural_soda.php

Hansen's makes caffeine free cola. But it does have corn syrup in it, and I am not sure it is organic. It is "natural". LOL. It has some ingredients I don't know what are, but it is commonly served in vegan resturaunts, so I am assuming those are vegan.

Hansen's also makes Blue Sky Brand, which has a caffeine free cola and there are a few other "natural" colas I have seen around, but not sure if they are available in the uK. Maybe do a serach on natural colas?

Blue Sky is yum! The raspberry pop is delicious (I'm sure it would be yummy mixed with vanilla soy ice cream).
    Peace, love, and happiness.

It is, I have done that!

My fave is the cherry vanilla. Yummy!

Pepsi for protection??? Lets forget the vegan aspect of Pepsi for a minute.. and digest the issue of a condom in a Bottle!!

Pepsi fined; condom in bottle

http://in.rediff.com/money/2006/apr/26cola.htm

boom

if pepsi got anything to do with animal testing i'll never drink pepsi again

Unhappy Re: pepsi

wow.

I wouldn't drink either Pepsi or Coca-Cola. I think they just taste of chemicals...

As other people have said, they are incredibly unethical companies.

For thoughs who may be interested i have put a link to the Killer Coke site. (I know this site was oringinally a Pepsi site but i think this is appropriate here too) There is a section just about coca-cola's crimes. It is mainly about the columbian workers that have been murdered, tortured, kidnapped and/or illegally detained. However i'm sure those of you who have not came across the killer coke campaigns will find it interesting.

http://www.killercoke.org/
    "Human Freedom, Animal Rights, One Struggle, One Fight!!"

Pilaf

Pepsi can kiss me blimey arse

Talking Re: pepsi

& coke too!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Cackspi & Cack are awful in Ethical / AR / Human Rights and many other circles coke is not even veggie let alone vegan, their is a full story on this forum about Coke and it's non veggie / vegan contents.

If you really want the Coke or Cola taste go for Sainburys Classic it's vegan but better still Whole Earth Cola, Ethical Vegan and no nasty rubbish.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Quote jaydog
    their is a full story on this forum about Coke and it's non veggie / vegan contents.

Can someone point me in the direction of that thread please..?

veggiewoman

vegan or not ,this bottle of pepsi was def different to the rest :
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4947718.stm

Pepsi fined over condom in bottle

PepsiCo India has denied any negligence

Soft drinks manufacturer Pepsi has been ordered to pay 20,000 rupees ($445) in damages to a man from Delhi who found a condom in a sealed bottle.
    The company, which was also ordered to pay 100,000 rupees ($2,225) to the Consumer Legal Aid Fund, said it planned to challenge the order.
    The case was brought before the Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum in the Indian capital by Sudesh Sharma.
    Pepsi denied negligence and claimed the bottles were probably fake goods.
    A company representative told the court the bottles may have contained a bogus product illegally marketed under its brand name.
    Mr Sharma said he purchased two bottles of Pepsi from a shop in the Kashmere Gate area of the capital in 2003.
    This case is an eye-opener for others who are engaged in manufacturing soft-drinks and are required to maintain the prescribed standards of purity in public interest during the course of their business activities

Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum

He said he suffered severe headaches and insomnia after consuming the drink from one of the bottles and had to seek medical treatment.
    Mr Sharma said he found dirt in the empty bottle and when he looked inside the other bottle, which was still sealed, he found a condom.
    The Press Trust of India reported the court as saying Pepsi had failed in its duty towards its customers by failing to take action against people passing off inferior products as Pepsi.
    'Lame excuse'
    It rejected as a "lame excuse" Pepsi's objection that it was not liable because it did not have any authorised dealers in the Kashmere Gate area.
    The court said the case was "rare" and had a serious bearing on public health.
    It said: "This case is an eye-opener for others who are engaged in manufacturing soft-drinks and are required to maintain the prescribed standards of purity in public interest during the course of their business activities".
    Pepsico India said the court order was "erroneous" and they said they would be taking steps to challenge it.
    The soft drinks market in India is worth billions of dollars. Coca-Cola and Pepsi account for more than 90% of the carbonated drinks market in India and together sell more than 500 million bottles every year.

VeganJohn

Yuuuuuuck!

Pepsi like to think they are contributing to lowering underaged pregnancies...
    Actually, that is an idea..it should be mandatory that young ladies/lads be given a condom with every soft drink purchase.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

I think there's a difference between in and with!

A few years ago at uni i put a condom (unused but unrolled - they were giving them out free to drunk people in the bar) in a friend's pint. He didn't realise it was there until he took a swig whilst chatting someone up
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote spjessop
    Not sure if its vegan but Waitrose does caffein free coke, in big bottles.
    Not sure about cans though.

I'll check it out, thanks.

boom

i hope all sodas ain't like pepsi,with the animal testing and stuff,dang pepsi

from Rediff.com, INDIA.

Pesticide cocktail in Coke, Pepsi
    The Centre for Science and Environment on Wednesday came out with a fresh study claiming the presence of 'pesticide cocktail' in 11 brands of soft drink giants Coca Cola and PepsiCo, three years after the same brands were found to have contained pesticides.
    The new findings, publicised after testing 57 samples of 11 soft drink brands of Coca Cola and PepsiCo collected from 25 manufacturing units across 12 states, claims that all the bottles examined were a "cocktail of 3-5 different pesticides" which was 24 times above the standards finalised by Bureau of Indian Standards.

"We have found pesticide residue in all soft drinks tested. Three years ago, when the tests were conducted we could spot only four pesticides. This time it has increased to five in some cases," Sunita Narain, director, CSE said.

The study - 'Soft Drinks - Hard Truth II' - claims that the average amount of pesticide residues found in all the samples was 11.85 parts per billion, which is 24 times higher than the BIS standards for pesticides in soft drinks (0.5 ppb).

In 2003, the average level of pesticide residues in Delhi samples were 34 times above the same BIS standards.

"This cannot be taken as a marginal reduction, because this time to our utter shock, we have found pesticides as high as 52 times in samples of Kolkata and 42 times in Nainital and Gorakhpur," said Chandrabhushan, associate director said.

Narain said the study has found that Pepsi Cola contained 30 times higher residues on an average and it was 27 times higher for Coca Cola.
    It also found the presence of Lindane (a carcinogen), Chlorphyrifis (a neurotoxin), Heptachlor, Mealthion and HCH. Heptachlor, banned in India, was found in 71 per cent of the samples, at four times higher than BIS standards.

On an average, the levels of deadly Lindane were over 54 times above the approved standards while one Coca Cola sample from Kolkata had this pesticide 140 times. Chlorpyrifos levels were on an average 47 times higher and a Coca Cola sample from Thane tested for this particular pesticide at a level that is 200 times than the approved levels.
    "This is clearly unacceptable as we know that pesticides are tiny toxins and impact our bodies over time. Our soft drinks remain unsafe and unhealthy and public health remains severly compromised," said Narain.
    She said the fresh study was conducted by the same Pollution Monitoring Laboratory of CSE, which has conducted the 2003 tests after acquiring ISO 9001:2000 standards.

"This will silence the criticism raised by Cola companies that we are not competent enough to carry out such tests."

I'll stick to water thanks

Default High Pesticide Residue Found in Coca-Cola in India

Thought this was interesting.

India is considering the ban of Coca-Cola because they have found it to contain dangerously high levels of pesticides. They say that if Coca-Cola isnt willing to think about the health of the people on this issue, what else will they do in the future?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...299363,00.html
    Last edited by flutterby; Aug 7th, 2006 at 04:07 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread.

Quote boom
    i hope all sodas ain't like pepsi,with the animal testing and stuff,dang pepsi
    i think most are. most that are owned by pepsico & coca-cola. i'd stick to fruit juice, water, & drinks found in healthfood stores. (sometimes they sell soft drinks that are similar to cola or lemonade, but a damn sight healthier).

Indian State Bans Coke, Pepsi from Schools

AHMEDABAD, India (Reuters) - Officials in Gujarat have banned fizzy drinks from hundreds of state school and college canteens after a pressure group said it had found pesticides in those produced by the Indian arms of Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

"We do not want to sell these drinks in educational institutions until we are sure about the content," the state's education minister, Anandiben Patel, told Reuters.

The ban will apply to about 300 colleges and 600 schools.

A study released last week by the Delhi-based Center for Science and Environment found an average pesticide residue of 11.85 parts per billion in 57 samples of Coca-Cola and PepsiCo drinks produced in 12 Indian states.

This is about 24 times higher than limits agreed, but not yet enforced, by the Bureau of Indian Standards.

A similar study in 2003 by the same organization briefly dented sales of the two companies' drinks when it reported levels of pesticide in excess of international standards, highlighting weak food safety laws in the country.
    Both companies, in a statement issued on Wednesday by the Indian Soft Drink Manufacturers' Association, said their drinks were safe and they held consumer safety paramount.

The CSE said pesticide levels were not necessarily any higher in cola than in other foods and drinks routinely consumed by Indians. The difference is that soft drinks do not have enough nutritional value to make consuming trace amounts of pesticide worth the trade-off, it said.
    Rajasthan banned Coke and Pepsi drinks from all the state's educational institutions following the study's release.

what about other own brands aside from sainsbury's, like asda's and tesco?? are their cola's vegan? I suppose I should just go look in the animal free shopper...

Sainsburys is labelled so. However sainsbury's labelling seems to indicate things as being vegan which contain ingredients that have been animal tested, such as aspartame that is in their diet cola.

ok I'm having a look...
    Asda: only the 'Just Cola' range are vegan, it doesn't list any other colas.
    Sainsbo: Classic, standard, and low price
    Tesco: standard

I've been drinking coke & pepsi just thinking it was a bit unethical, but not unvegan... but it is VERY unethical isn't it! And my veggie hubby really likes his cola drinks. I'll have to at least make sure we only buy these vegan sorts for home instead of the Asda SP we normally get!

What about when you go out to the pub, when you don't drink alcohol and want something more interesting than water?? What drinks can you get that are ok then?? What about J20, or pure juices, I suppose lemonade is out too because it's the same brands..! ??

As noted in the UK cocktail thread, britvic who produce many of the bottles of juice sold in pubs cannot guarantee that their products have not been cleared using geletine.

Quote Jamie
    ok I'm having a look...
    Asda: only the 'Just Cola' range are vegan, it doesn't list any other colas.
    Sainsbo: Classic, standard, and low price
    Tesco: standard

I've been drinking coke & pepsi just thinking it was a bit unethical, but not unvegan... but it is VERY unethical isn't it! And my veggie hubby really likes his cola drinks. I'll have to at least make sure we only buy these vegan sorts for home instead of the Asda SP we normally get!

What about when you go out to the pub, when you don't drink alcohol and want something more interesting than water?? What drinks can you get that are ok then?? What about J20, or pure juices, I suppose lemonade is out too because it's the same brands..! ??
    i used to drink fizzy drinks all the time as mixers in pubs, and especially in clubs, cos i was drunk and i didnt care. i just wanted my vodka & lemonades.

now i drink vodka & orange juice. i dunno who makes it half the time, but i'd rather drink that than fizzy drinks.