Thread: health routines

prilly-pie

Default health routines

i thought it would be a nice idea to share health routines, with ones that each of us swear by that makes us feel fab. please, delete this thread if its a bad idea, but i think people would benefit from learning from the real health nuts out there!
    last year i was extremely healthy and had a routine of:
    -lemon in water
    -shower
    -fruit with/for breakfast, depending on how hungry i was
    I'd have a healthy vegetable based meal for lunch and tea, and not eat after 6pm. I would then do an hours dancing,toning,jumping,wiggling haha, in my room to some favourite tunes, and weights to finish. I'd drink no end of roobois tea and diluted juice. I ate no artficial sugar unless it was a special occasion(such as a soya dessert) and id only have a diet coke when i went out with my friends. I should really start this up again!!!

what kind of stuff do you do in your daily routines?

PRILLE XXX

Default Re: health routines

I want to do the lemon in the water but I'm allergic to citrus. I also can't have a lot of water either (6 cups is optimal for me) as I have a really bad peeing problem and too much water just hurts. Plus I think the benefits of drinking tons of water is over rated.

Anywhoo, I don't really have a routine, I just try to eat as much veggies and fruits as a I can and limit my junk food.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Same here tigerlily I'd need to pee all the time and I'm stuck behind a till for 4 hours at work so that would not be good!
    I always eat breakfast, I rarely drink caffeine now, only as a treat occaisonally, have plenty fresh fruit n veg, take an a-z multivit, and do a workout dvd 2-3 times a week.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

i don't think diet coke is good for health
    read this:
    http://www.lightparty.com/Health/DietCokeAspartame.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame
    coke sucks

Gliondrach

Laughter. I tell myself jokes. I look at my reflection in the back of a dessert spoon. By varying the angle you can make your head look really strange. Your nose will look huge and the top of your head can look pointed. It always sets me off laughing. The neighbours must think I'm mad. Give it a try - it will make you feel better. There's nowt like laughter to improve your health and well being. Feeling down in the dumps? Look in a spoon.

Good sperm

Apart from Gliondrach's excellent time-honoured spoon advice, I suggest:

Lemon and Ginger tea first thing to awaken liver and digestive system

Fruit and seed-filled muesli for brekkie in summer, in winter porridge with sultanas (not dried with sulphur dioxide obv) maple syrup and linseeds

Sunshine and fresh air

Plenty of water (I drink 6-8 pints a day of water or sugar-free squash)

1 hour of Yoga a day, then meditation after. Then a nice hot shower to get rid of the sweat and help release any stressed muscles.

No caffiene

Fruit for snacks and dessert

At least 3 types of vegetable in your dinner, try and eat brown rice and pasta too

Wholemeal bread not white (try and avoid processed and bleached flour full-stop)

Unrefined sugars only (the most refined I get is Billingtons Unrefined Cane Sugar)

It makes you feel great

I have to say so far Gloindrach's healthy dose of laughter provided by a spoon has to be the best so far - this might be aided by the fact that you can combined the looking in the spoon and laughing part with eating plenty of vegan ice cream...

Unfortunately i don't have any advice people; i just try and eat healthy, although large dollops of vegan mayonaise just happen to find their way onto my plate with whatever i'm eating and take away the goodness of whatever i'm eating - who whould have thought vegan mayonaise could be so clever as to do that?!?!

I also have been trying to run every morning but that generally turns into just running down all the hills and walking everywhere else... still, it's exercise whether you walk or run i suppose.
    "Human Freedom, Animal Rights, One Struggle, One Fight!!"

I am not sure I have any routines, but I have some habits I can share.

- always carrying water
    - bringing snacks (dried fruit, nuts, fresh fruit) everywhere so not to get overly hungry and tempted by junk food and or binging
    - buying salt free/sugar free canned goods (beans, tomatoes)
    - not cooking with salt (except baked goods, which i have heard it is necesary for rising, can anyone confirm?)
    - not adding salt or sugar to foods i prepare
    - using much less sugar than recipes call for (the muffins I make regularly call for 1 cup, i use 1/4 cup)
    - only using whole grain pasta and using whole grain flour (unless I am making a special treat recipe, like a cake) I only buy whole grain bread to have on hand

I guess that's about it.

Oh, for routines, I work out on Monday and Wednesday evenings for 2 hours.

I always eat breakfast. I avoid sugar until the afternoon. I also think it is important to eat lots of fiber for breakfast (oats, brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat bread) and protein as the base of the meal. i like veggies and fresh fruits on the side.

I like lots of warm clear liquids in the morning - coffee, tea, broth. I think it is healthy and important to drink lots of warm clear liquids in the morning to wake your body up and help rehydrate from the night's sleep and start your metabolism.

I think nuts are great snacks - 1/4 cup fills me up for hours.

I like nuts but they make me sick. And how can you stop at 1/4 cup?!

are you allergic??

Quote Tigerlily
    And how can you stop at 1/4 cup?!
    I have amazing will power - I tell myself, 1/4 cup is one serving and that is all I need. Haha, just kidding, I wish! I measure it out, put it in a tuperware and take it with me to work thus leaving the rest at home.

At home, not so easy - especially cashews...mmm!

- Only whole grain breads, brown rice pasta, and regular brown rice.
    - Plenty of fresh fruit as snacks
    - No added sugar in tea and coffe drinks.
    - Items such as cookies, chips and candy only 1 day a week...Saturdays work
    for me.
    - Lots of water throughout the day
    - Fresh air everyday. Long hikes on the weekend
    - Gym at least a couple of times a week
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Quote Wildflower
    I have amazing will power - I tell myself, 1/4 cup is one serving and that is all I need. Haha, just kidding, I wish! I measure it out, put it in a tuperware and take it with me to work thus leaving the rest at home.

At home, not so easy - especially cashews...mmm!
    i am in almost the same boat- but i have that problem at work. we feed squirrels and we buy in bulk.... the peanuts are so freshly roasted, i chow down on the squirrel food, especially if i didn't make the time to bring breakfast.

Quote Wildflower

- not cooking with salt (except baked goods, which i have heard it is necesary for rising, can anyone confirm?)
    Wildflower, I've heard the same thing. I bake constantly but I do cut down on the salt measurement that is called for. If it calls for 1/2 tsp. I probably put 1/4 tsp. Everything still rises but I've never tried cutting the salt out altogether. Maybe one of us should try it. You go first

hee hee, I do cut down too - I generally use a pinch.

I suppose I could go first - but I probably won't bake again til next weekend.

We shall see...

Quote mophoto
    i am in almost the same boat- but i have that problem at work. we feed squirrels and we buy in bulk.... the peanuts are so freshly roasted, i chow down on the squirrel food, especially if i didn't make the time to bring breakfast.
    Mmm..squirrel food!

That would be hard, I am lucky I don't work around food. At least with peanuts you have to get them out of the shell, that always takes so long it is hard for me to eat too many.

What kinda work do you do?

Quote mophoto
    are you allergic??
    I don't think so. I don't get violently sick or anything. I just feel really....icky. The same feeling I have after eating something deep fried. But then again, I can't stop at a handful. I always eat so much.