Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Red Bull & other energy drinks

Default Re: Red Bull & other energy drinks

All of those taurine based energy drinks should be well avoided.
    Taurine is a synthetic chemical that has been tested on laborartory animals.
    When Red Bull, Monster, Relentless, and all those taurine based drinks say they are suitable for vegetarians and vegans what they mean is they have no meat in them, it's scandellous. All taurine based drinks have been animal tested, because their main ingredient is synthetic taurine, which was animal tested.
    I'd go for one of the natural energy drinks if i were you.
    Zen Republic is a decent one, it sells in Holland and Barretts and it's vegetarian society approved. It also taste pretty good too.
    Another strange thing is cat food contains synthetic taurine too, so we're feeding our cats on an animal food which has been animal tested, how mad is that?

Water has been animal tested.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

I'm sure it has, there are always some cruel nutters who will animal test everything, but the big difference is water probably never harmed any animal during the tests, whereas synthetic taurine when tested on rats resulted in blindness, heart failure, etc, the rats even self harmed....

Please tell though if you know of any water companies that have animal tested, and the results of those tests if you have them. People should be made aware so that we can choose to boycott said companies.

Now i'm not going to stop drinking water (unless you tell me which companies animal test, then i'll boycott those ones) but i certainly wouldn't purchase a can of red bull or any of the other taurine based energy drinks because of the torture they have helped to cause.

Quote natureboi View Post
    but the big difference is water probably never harmed any animal during the tests, whereas synthetic taurine when tested on rats resulted in blindness, heart failure, etc, the rats even self harmed...
    I'm quite sure that at least 50% of the animals used in LD50 testing of water didn't have a particularly great time:

http://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/89308.htm

I'm sure there have been more animal suffering through tests on water than taurine.

The link you have posted refers to:

Material Safety Data Sheet
    Ethanol, Absolute
    I can't see anything to do with water on this......

Please enlighten me with your knowledge of what water companies have animal tested?
    As i have enlightened you about Red Bull, Monster, Relentless, etc using taurine which has been animal tested.....

I await to be amazed

Sorry, I posted the wrong MSDS link. The correct one for water is:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/W0600.htm

Material Safety Data Sheets are standard documents used worldwide, that describe properties of a chemical / substance. They're primarily used by hospitals, fire brigades etc when coming into contact with a new chemical to check how best to deal with it.

The link I pasted contains LD50 levels of water for rats, that is, the amount that needs to be injested before 50% of the animals under test die (aka toxicity testing).

LD50 testing is extremely widespread and used for all kinds of chemicals, including those which you'd think don't need testing.

Sorry but i can't see anywhere that says about water being animal tested on this link either, please help me out here, i'm willing to listen to your point but please show me excactly where it says water has been animal tested, show me who done it, and what companies were involved, please...
    I still think taurine is far more dangerous than water, and i still believe taurine has done far more damage to animals in test labs too.

Section 11:

For Water: LD50 Oral Rat: >90 ml/Kg. Investigated as a mutagen.

LD50 explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_lethal_dose

What more do you need? If you google you'll find water LD50s for other species. These can only have come from animal toxicity testing, which (with many experiments) precludes use of painkillers or other substances that could affect the results.

Ah ha, now i see...
    But tell me; was this water everyday tap water?
    Or rain water?
    Or water from a lake?
    Or some dodgy bottled water company?
    Sorry but i am on a need to know basis....