Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Thai Food

Default Vegan Thai Food

I love cooking and am also looking into going to culinary school. I went to a ietnamese /thai huge grocery store in Chicago on the weekend. I had done some research into a vegetarian "fish sauce" and that it was rare to find outside vietnam. I found it and was overjoyed. It had the same stinky note that is so typicla in thai food but not as salty as the one with anchovies. also I found it helped to sprinkle some of that fish sauce over towards the end to keep the stick factor. I am so overjoyed. One of my favoriute cookbooks is Hot Sour Sweet Salty - a culinary journey through south east asia. its a great book and has some wonderful recipes that can be modified.

Here a page with a lot of pictures (and a little info) about vegan Thai dishes....
    http://www.pjchmiel.com/vegan/thai.html
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

ok - my mouth is watering - I doubt I can find such a thing in Vienna, but I am going to try some thai cooking!

regards,
    globesetter

Default tiny thai rice cakes

adapted from recipe in green world cookbook, from demuths restaurant, bath, uk

25g wild rice
    75g thai fragrant white rice
    100g sweet potato
    100g potato
    2-4 garlic cloves (depending on you!)
    1 red chilli sliced
    2cm root ginger, peeled and chopped
    2 spring onions, finely sliced
    2 tbs fresh coriander, chopped

(i bought a rice mix of wild rice and white long grain so i just used 100g of that)

cook rice till soft (especially wild rice as it will pop when fried if not cooked enough. drain well.
    peel and cook potatoes, drain well and mash.
    (make sure pots and rice are well drained before mixing together or mix will be wet and sloppy)
    finely chop garlic, chilli, ginger, spring onion and coriander together.
    mix all ingredients together with hands, making a mix with a consistency tht will form into soft balls. season if you need to.
    shape mix into little balls (size up to you really, could make burgers if you want), roll in a little flour and gently flatten into patties.
    shallow fry in oil till golden on both sides.

serve with a chilli dipping sauce and salad......mmmmmmmmmmmm

ConsciousCuisine

MMM! Here's a Chili-Mint Tamarind Sauce/Chutney to go with them:

Chili-Mint Tamarind Sauce/Chutney
    ½ cup vegetable broth or water (for chutney, omit and add 3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
    3-5 dates
    2 tablespoons liquid tamarind concentrate or 4 tablespoons fresh tamarind
    2 teaspoons Nama Shoyu, Soy Sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
    1/2- 1 bunch Mint, washed
    1-2 cloves garlic
    1/4-3/4 thai chili or jalapeno (depending on HEAT desired)
    1 T frozen juice concentrate (optional, but good! I used a tropical strawberry-guava juice)
    lemon juice, as desired

Put all in a food chopper and pulse! Add a bit of water or lemon juice when making the sauce or chutney as needed.

(This is my recipe)

Default The Vegan Thai Food Recipe collection - help needed

Hi!

In order to make it easier for vegan newbies (and others) to explore the great world of vegan gourmet food, we plan to start a few threads about recipes. There's a lot of vegan recipes to be found through the search engines, but we still think that it's good idea to collect links here.

What kind of help am I asking for? It's simple... if you spend one minute using your favorite search engine, and (in this case) search for vegan Thai food, you'll get a lot of results. If you find a link (in this case, about vegan Thai food) that looks OK, please just post the URL in this thread, for example like this:

Introduction to Thai cooking
    http://www.colba.net/~ajstrong/Thai_mai.htm#Recipes

As the thread grows, we'll put it into the Recipe forum (but for now we'll have it here, for visibility). If you have tried some of the recipes, comments are of course welcome too.

ConsciousCuisine

http://www.veganchef.com/

Type in "Thai" and try the Thai Peanut and Veggie Lettuce Rolls. They are GOOD. I make a similar dish, but I make it them by using my sauce instead of the one she uses:

1/3 c. almond butter
    1 T. Pumpkin Seeds
    1/4 cup lime juice
    3 T. water
    2 T. raw sesame oil
    1-2 soaked, pitted dates
    1 1/2 t. garlic, minced
    1/4 t. cayenne pepper
    1/2 jalapeno

Blend all!

Default Thai

Thai Food has really, really great vegan meals....

I know none of you prob live by me but there is a place in Port Jefferson LI that has AMAZING thai food.
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

it always concerns me if thai places use shrimp paste in their pastes/sauces.

sometimes its difficult to make yourself understood when asking about it

ewww do you really think they use shrimp paste?!

or just fish sauce (not necessarily shrimp)
    i have a friend who is highly allergic to shell fish and she got really sick eating vegetarian thai food in New Hampshire...cause it had fish sauce...
    if she eats a fish who ate a fish who ate a fish ect...that ate a shell fish at one time she will get sick and could die.
    I just ask...no places I have gone to use it and if they did...they left it out for me. Just be super nice and super clear.

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Wow.. thank you for the advice. That is really scary!!!

i just notice that a lot of recipes use fish sauce and a ready jar of thai curry paste i looked at had shrimp paste in it. doesnt mean everyone uses it though - just ask!

oh my god that is really scary...

i didnt want to say anything, thinking if i didnt type it in, it wasnt true... haha... BUT i always felt like i smelled fish in my food... thought it was just the curry or something... YUCKKKKK

Many Thai places use fish sauce in their recipes, but it's fully possible to make really tasty Thai food with only plant ingredients...

There are tom yum pastes (mild to hot) that make a brilliant sauce for Thai and aisan style dishes. The don't have to have shrimp paste and some are even labelled vegetarian which is saying no shrimp. (Of course, always double check).

Mix a healthy teaspoon of the paste with equal parts of potato starch plus one cup of water. I sometimes add a little vegie stock powder and fresh grated ginger. This makes a great sauce over most lightly stirfried vegies with either a rice noodle or steamed rice. For a really Thai flavour use a kaffir lime leaf very finely chopped in with the vegies and garnish with chopped coriander (cilantro). Quick, easy, fresh, very little washing up
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

I sometimes eat from a local Thai Restaurant and the vegan dishes I have are: Buddhist Vegetables, Chilli Fried Rice, sometimes the deep fried tofu and sometimes the vegetarian spring rolls.

Perhaps you can ask them to make you your favourite dishes without the shrimp paste (you could always say you are allergic to it).

I tried a Malaysian restaurant recently that uses shrimp paste in many of their "vegetarian" dishes, but it also states on the menu that these items can be made without the shrimp paste.

One thing that I really like about these types of food, compared to Chinese food is that you very very rarely have to worry about MSG in the food. Infact - I haven't come accross it yet in Thai or Malaysian food. I think their foods are flavoursome and fragrant enough without having to add it.

This past week, I tried a new Chinese takeout place, recommended by a couple of work mates. I had the tofu in blackbean sauce, steamed rice and a curried vegetable dish. I'm sorry to say that I completely forgot to ask if they used MSG - which is unusual for me when trying a new Chinese place. This is because I get awfully sick from it.

Anyway, approximately 6 hours later, it was confirmed to me that there was MSG in the food (insomnia, foul taste in my mouth, unquenchable thirst, stomach pain and vommiting).

my-oh-my Roxy...I think we ate at the same place last night. I still can't hold food down. *slaps forehead*
    although at least I didn't pay for it
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

I hope you feel better soon. My MSG-reaction took place on Wednesday night. I felt a lot better after I expelled it from my system. Is yours MSG poisoning too do you think?

yeah...because it was such a quick reaction. It also didn't help cause i had a painful procedure done earlier friday then my friend got me chinese...i was so sick and it hurt to be sick cause of the procedure i had done...
    I am done with bad luck now please...someone send some good energy my way.
    ~Mel

awwww hope you feel better!!!

thanks for the advice guys

Camyle26: if you do eat something with nasties in it...don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us.
    And chocolate makes EVERYTHING better!!

~Mel
    ~Mel

haha Mel, thanks... I know, I got really sick to my stomach thinking about seafood in my food. I dont think Id eat there again even if they told me no SEAFOOD in it... id still wonder the whole meal! haha

True...Chocolate is VERYYY good. Happy Vday!

I always stress when I order thai (which is rare) that no fish sauce, no egg, since fish sauce is standard even in vegetarian entrees and egg is sometimes chopped and added to dishes. Same with Indian, I always stress no ghee (butter), no dairy in anything. I rarely eat out and if I do, eat at veg places as much as possible.

Default Thai Green Vegetable Curry

INGREDIENTS:
    1 bunch basil, chopped
    1 bunch coriander, chopped
    2 green chillis, sliced thinly
    1 tbsp freshly minced/grated ginger
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    165ml coconut milk
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tsp lemongrass, sliced
    1 head broccoli
    100g baby corn
    1 zucchini, sliced
    1 sweet potato, cubed
    200g green beans
    200g snow peas
    salt and pepper to taste
    STEPS:
    1. In a blender, combine the basil, coriander, chillis, ginger, garlic and coconut milk.
    2. You may need to add 1/2 cup of water, or more coconut milk if you want it very creamy.
    3. Blend until very smooth.
    4. In a pan, combine onion and sweet potato with the herb/coconut mixture.
    5. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sweet potato has softened a little.
    6. Add the zucchini baby corn, and cook for 10 minutes.
    7. Add the broccoli, green beans and snow peas and season to taste.
    8. Cook until the greens are bright green (about 4 minutes).
    9. Serve over rice.

Cheers Banana I am going to try this one never done a TGC before from scratch I will let you know how I get on or not
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Good recipe Banana, will try it, thank you. Only query Snow peas anyone?

Love

Wink

I believe they are what we refer to as good old garden peas
    With love from Love.XXX.

Default i need thai curry - NOW!

SUDDENLY - i have a real hankering to make a thai curry at home.

i need a good recipe - any offers please?

also, in the uk, anybody know of suitable ready paste bases available in general supermarkets?

thank you in advance
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 21st, 2005 at 10:05 AM. Reason: This post was from another thread on the same topic

Default Re: i need thai curry - NOW!

Quote cedarblue
    SUDDENLY - i have a real hankering to make a thai curry at home.

i need a good recipe - any offers please?

also, in the uk, anybody know of suitable ready paste bases available in general supermarkets?

thank you in advance
    There's a good one that's sold in the veggie shop near me, I've been using it for a while and it's great. I'll check out the brand when I get back tonight, PM me if I forget!
    I bet Yoda was a vegan

Default Re: Thai Food

I went to Canada a couple of years ago, and still have the occasional daydream about veggie Thai restaurant in Montreal called Chu Chai.
    Mmmm.

Have attempted a couple of Thai recipes but most likely very far from anything authentic! www.parsleysoup.co.uk

Default Re: Vegan Thai Food

Quote amritab@yahoo.com
    I had done some research into a vegetarian "fish sauce" and that it was rare to find outside vietnam.

Hey there, what was the name of that vegan fish sauce? I would love to check a vietnamese market here in NJ for it.

Default Re: Vegan Thai Food

Here is a very simple recipe for Thai rice noodles with soy sauce. I used to live in Thailand, and even though I was omni at the time, there were so many simple and delicious veggie dishes that I loved.

Rice Noodles with Soy Sauce (called "pat see yoo" in Thai)
    1. Boil some dry large size rice stick noodles according to package directions, OR buy some already cooked large size rice stick.
    2. Heat some vegetable or olive oil in a skillet on medium heat, and add the rice noodles.
    3. Add some soy sauce and stir. Add enough sauce so that the noodles are light brown in colour, about 1-3 Tbsp (or to taste), depending on the amount of noodles.
    4. Add some chopped broccoli florets and cook for a couple minutes, stirring constantly.
    5. Stir in a handful of bean sprouts and cook about 2 minutes, stirring, until they are hot and slightly tender.
    6. Serve hot.

I like it simple like this, but you can change the vegetables, add cubed firm tofu and/or cook up some egg replacer in a pan, chop it up and add it with the bean sprouts. Here is a picture of what it looks like, only I prefer to use the very wide noodles (these are the medium size), and I don't put that many veggies into mine. But it's versatile, you can put whatever you like into it!

I love Thai food SO much, and luckily, since living in Thailand, I know enough of the language to make it clear in restaurants here that I don't eat meat, eggs, fish or fish/shrimp sauce.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I love spicy thai peanut sauce and could see myself making that recipe with peanut sauce instead of the soy.

Do you ever have a problem with your noodles sticking together when you go to stir-fry them after you have boiled them? I do

I've never had much of a problem with sticky noodles after boiling. I add kosher salt to the water, which seems to help, and I probably use too much oil when frying. But when I buy fresh noodles, they stick together a LOT. Usually I don't mind this, since I'm a fan of thick noodles anyway.
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

I used to make Pad-Thai at home a lot, in my pre-vegan days. I used to have an awful problem with the rice noodles sticking together after I had boiled them and was trying to stir fry them. Perhaps it was because I didn't drain them/rinse them properly.

Default Thai Peanut Sauce?

I have been searching the internet for a vegan thai peanut sauce recipe that would be very tasty on stirfries but every recipe I've found uses unusual ingredients, and since I'm a poor university student I can't afford to go out and buy all this stuff.

Do you guys have any good recipes which make use of fairly common (cheap) ingredients? Thanks!

Default Re: Thai Peanut Sauce?

right, let me see...

peanuts (about half a bag)
    vinegar (a generous splash)
    olive oil (2 tbsn)
    tomato sauce (one squirt)
    mustard (1 tspn)
    chilli peppers (red hot)
    weird thai spices (not much)
    water (a bit)
    red wine (2 mouthfulls)
    salt (not too much)

i don't know if that's any good since i just made it up. but if you try it, let me know how it turns out.

I love your measurements, Tofu Monster. And no, that was not a come one!
    How do you gauge the wine - take a mouthful and spit, and repeat?
    Vegans go all the way.

yeah, you take a mouthful then you spit it out, then you take another mouthful and spit that out as well. whatever you do, when you take a mouthful, don't swallow it!

(in the hands of anybody less tactful than me, this post could have had the potential to be rather distasteful. thank god i'm not like that.)

Paradoxically, the birds (feathered variety, Tofu Monster! ) that are responsible for providing the spit that goes into Birds’ Nest Soup are a kind of swallow. How ironic is that? (And very distasteful!)
    Vegans go all the way.

Quote Tofu Monster
    right, let me see...

peanuts (about half a bag)
    vinegar (a generous splash)
    olive oil (2 tbsn)
    tomato sauce (one squirt)
    mustard (1 tspn)
    chilli peppers (red hot)
    weird thai spices (not much)
    water (a bit)
    red wine (2 mouthfulls)
    salt (not too much)

i don't know if that's any good since i just made it up. but if you try it, let me know how it turns out.
    LMFAO - Tofu you are too funny!

Tofu...once again, you have made my day.
    You are not required to complete the task of repairing the world, neither are you free to abstain from it.
    --Pirke Avot

gicuzzi, don't know if this is considered thai,but is is very tasty and easy

Quick Peanut Sauce

1/2 cup peanut butter (microwave for a couple of seconds to soften)
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    3 Tbsp. soy sauce
    fresh or ground ginger
    2 Tbsp. vinegar, rice vinegar or cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or white)
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
    1/2 cup (or less!) hot water to thin out

Mix all ingredients together
    Use with tofu and veggies too in stirfrys or whatever.

I also like to add a few drops of sesame oil, and chopped scallions, and chopped cilantro, if you have these.

I once made this over and mixed with diced cucumbers over speghetti-cold.
    It was so good !!

They both sound yummilicious! I will have to do some experimentation! Thanks guys

As with pasta, you can stop noodles from sticking whilst boiling by adding some oil to the water. If stir frying after it's good to cook them to al dente so they will finish cooking in the stir fry pan, as opposed to fully cooked and slightly mushy. Totally depends on the thickness and type of noodles/wrappers thou, I tend not to use wheat as opposed to rice out of choice.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Thank you Mr Flibble

Thai Pasta
    4 ounces angel hair pasta
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 cup red cabbage, chopped
    1/4 cup green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon lemon peel seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Throw in pasta. Dont over cook pasta. Drain but don't rinse. Toss immediately with the 1 cup of coconut milk to prevent sticking. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Serve either hot or cold.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Sweet and Spicy Thai Stir Fry

• 2 green bell peppers
    • 1 red bell pepper
    • 1 yellow bell pepper
    • 1 orange bell pepper
    • 2 small jalepeno peppers
    • snow peas
    • Spanish red onion or shallots
    • 1 pkg Lo-mein noodles (thin yellow spaghetti like chinese noodles)
    • 1 jar sweet red pepper Thai sauce
    • 1/2 cup sweet plum sauce
    • soy sauce
    • bean sprouts

Slice the green peppers into 1/2" wide long strips. Dice all other peppers down to about 1/2" square. Slice ends from snow peas, otherwise leave them whole. Dice red onion or shallots smaller than the coloured peppers.

Run the lo-mein noodles under cold water in a collander for about 5 minutes to loosen.

In one stir-fry pan or wok add all peppers and snow peas (feel free to add any of your other favourite veggies to this wok as well). Add a bit of oil, about a tablespoon of soy sauce, and about 1/2 to 3/4 of the jar of Thai Sauce. Stir fry at med heat until the sauce has thickened slightly and the vegetables are well cooked.

In a second stir fry pan or wok add bean sprouts and lo- mein. Add a bit of oil, soy sauce, and just enough plum sauce to glaze the noodles and sprouts. Stir fry for about 5 - 7 minutes on med heat, until noodles are hot and sprouts have wilted. Serve veggies over noodles
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Maya, what are snow peas?