Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Vegan Thai Food

Default Re: Thai Food

Yes, your right. Looked it up.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce

Says that "The original Worcestershire sauce was a similar product, brought to England from India. Some have suggested anchovy paste as the modern descendant of garum, but it is not fermented."

COCONUT LIME SOUP

4 cobs of corn
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    2.5cm (1inch) piece fresh root ginger peeled and grated
    2 shallots, sliced
    1 jalapeno chilli, seeded and finely chopped
    3 kaffir lime leaves or zest of 1/2 lime
    120ml (4oz) unsweetened coconut milk
    large handful of fresh basil leaves
    2 limes, each cut into chunks to serve

Scrape the kernels from the cobs with a sharp knife and put the
    kernels in a bowl. Set aside.

Break each of the cobs into 2-3 pieces, put them in a large saucepan and add 1.5 litres (2 3/4 pints) water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. You will need to skim the foam from the top of the liquid with a large spoon, especially for the first 30 minutes. Strain the stock through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth.

Heat the oil in a clean saucepan and add the ginger, shallots and chilli. Fry gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shallots are softened. Add the kaffir lime leaves or lime zest, reserved corn stock (or the equivalent volume of vegetable stock) and coconut milk. Bring up to the boil, then reduce heat immediately and simmer for 5 minutes. Add water, if necessary, to achieve the texture you prefer. Add the reserved kernels and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Ladle the soup into warm bowls. Stack about 6 basil leaves together, roll them into a cigar shape and slice thinly. Repeat with the remaining basil. Scatter the basil strips over the soup. Serve with wedges of lime.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." —Margaret Mead

plus_them

WOW! I am so happy to have found this post! I am going to Hawaii over Christmas to visit my Thai family and I was worried they would be offended if i told them i was vegan and i wouldnt be able to eat anything! Im going to send this to my grandma!!!

Default Re: Vegan Thai Food

Thai iced tea is generally made with condensed milk. I would really really love a vegan version. Simply adding soy or nutmilk doesn't taste anything like it (though it is lovely in spiced chai). Does anyone know if there's a vegan condensed milk like product? Has anyone used any of those soy creamer products to know if they would be closer to it, or have any other recipes?

pavotrouge

soyatoo makes a condensed milk that is so close to the real stuff that I can't stand it (never liked condensed milk).

I'm in Ottawa now, and I can't believe there's a Thai Vegetarian restaurant here!!! They are 100% vegetarian (no fish!), but not vegan. But they are very vegan-friendly, and all the non-vegan items on the menu are marked so that you know what not to order, and they will even leave out the eggs/dairy from the non-vegan dishes if you ask them to!

For the Thai iced tea, I wonder if some kind of vegan caramel mixed with soymilk will give the tea a condensed milk taste. There's a vegan caramel recipe in "Vive le Vegan".
    "Man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    soyatoo makes a condensed milk that is so close to the real stuff that I can't stand it (never liked condensed milk).
    Would that be the Heavy Cream Substitute? I hated condensed milk in anything but Thai Iced Teas. XD

pavotrouge

no, I think it's plainly called "soy creamer" or "coffee creamer".

Quote VelvetDragon View Post
    Thai iced tea is generally made with condensed milk. I would really really love a vegan version. Simply adding soy or nutmilk doesn't taste anything like it (though it is lovely in spiced chai). Does anyone know if there's a vegan condensed milk like product? Has anyone used any of those soy creamer products to know if they would be closer to it, or have any other recipes?
    have you ever tried using coconut milk? i know it doesn't give that creamy consistency,but might be really tasty.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

I couldn't find a soy creamer by Soyatoo, though I found Silk's and Wildwood's. I did find many recipes for condensed milk:

http://www.veganwolf.com/recipes/basics/swcondmilk.htm
    http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/46162.html

Not ideal, because I'm lazy, ha ha, but I'm willing to try them!

I haven't tried coconut milk. I bet it would be a totally different drink than I'm used to, but a tasty one none-the-less!

I will have to experiment with different condensed "milks" and report here. :>