Thread: I'm having trouble not eating enough

Blazin_Gwen

Arrow I'm having trouble not eating enough

I don't eat enough these days, don't have much of an appetite, but when i do eat more i tend to over eat. What should i do? Should i just eat when i'm not hungry. I've been losing weight fast and then gaining some of it back. Like i was 216 the other day now I think I'm 218. But i don't know right at this moment, cuz' i don't weigh myself on my period.

Default Re: I'm having trouble not eating enough

Gwen, why do you think you are not eating enough? Is it because you are feeling weak or lightheaded? Or is it because you are losing weight? If you are a female who weighs 218 pounds then I would expect you to lose weight rather rapidly if you were to eat less than you did in the past (ie less than the amount of food that brought you up to that weight).

At your weight, you could expect a rapid weigh loss if you ate an adequate number of calories for you muscle mass and activity level. This is because adipose tissue (fat) actually needs a small amount of calories to maintain itself. I wouldn't be too worried about losing weight if you feel okay -actually, it would be very healthy for you to do so.

That said, I don't know your height or activity level so I don't know how much you should actually be eating each day. If you are happy at your current weight then I think you should just eat to maintain your weight (keeping in mind that fluctuations of 2 pounds are normal because it's related to the water level in your body). If you are looking to actually lose weight then I think it's best that you consult a nutritionist/dietician or physician. There are also many books on weight loss, some good and some bad.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I am having the same problem Gwen so i wont be any good at giving advice. I have lost my appetite and i can lose weight very quickly. I cant eat when i feel stressed, i find it hard to chew food and swollow. When i am happy i can eat quite a lot. Just try to eat a few snack in between meals to keep your energy level up. Dont let yourself get ill, look after yourself and if you still dont get your appetite back please go and see a doctor.

Blazin_Gwen

yeah i weighed myself today and i am 216. I know i am not eating enough, because i have no energy and i feel weak.

RubyDuby

Be sure to pay attention to your food groups. You should be eating veggies, protien, grains, and fruits everyday. Especially pay attention to the stuff thats harder for a vegan to get like your Aminos and B12. I'm not edumacated on that area, but I know I feel blah when I haven't been paying enough attention to my protiens and veggies. Also, when I first wake up I usually weight about 5 lbs less than after meals. I think its normal to have some change in weight. 2 lbs is no big thing.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Make sure to take a vitamin/mineral supplement if ur not eating right- that applies to anyone not just vegans!
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Gwen,
    You might also want to pay close attention to the types of carbohydrates you are getting, especially if you have periods of low energy. Simple carbohydrates (anything with cane sugar, beet sugar, corn syrup or refined flour) will make you spike in blood sugar initially then drop severely. Regardless of how much you are eating.

You asked about eating even when you are not hungry. Well, this might be a very good idea. In my house, where I'm responsible for feeding someone who stays home all day and requires a menu plan, I space out what we will eat over 5 or six mini-meals. Since I know how many servings of vegetable, fruits, legumes and grains I am supposed to eat each day I just make sure I eat them - spaced about every 2 to 2.5 hours apart. This keeps us from ever feeling truly hungry, thereby avoiding overeating and big differences in our blood sugar levels. And eating breakfast is very important if you don't do it. I didn't for my earlier years and wish I had gotten into the habit sooner. It really sets your enery level for the day, IMO.

Good luck.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein