Thread: apple diet safe?

Default apple diet safe?

ok so this may seem a bit stupid but few people have preached to me the benefits of an apple diet when trying to loose weight. pretty much just consuming apples all day along with alot of water in order to fill you up and not really eating much of anything else. i figured this may be ok aside from the concern i had about large amounts of sugar. it seems if you really are eating 10-15 apples a day you will be taking in an obscene amount of sugar... does anybody have any experience with this?
    http://cheapveganfood.blogspot.com <--- thats my blog about being cheap and too lazy to cook but still being vegan...

Default Re: apple diet safe?

Quote emendblu View Post
    does anybody have any experience with this?
    encountering nutters on the internet who make claims about diets which common sense dictates is complete lunacy?

Yea, happens all the time. They didn't happen to own an apple orchard did they?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Why only apples? What is the rationale? I can see going raw or eat fruit to lose weight but just apples?
    It
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

lol its actually a former co worker of mine who seems to be constantly on a diet... its odd that she is the one who always seems to think its appropriate to give diet advice seeing as i want to loose about 20 lbs and she needs to loose well over a hundred. but she claims to have had minor success with this one.
    http://cheapveganfood.blogspot.com <--- thats my blog about being cheap and too lazy to cook but still being vegan...

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Why only apples? What is the rationale? I can see going raw or eat fruit to lose weight but just apples?
    It
    im not to sure why apples were picked... if i were just randomly picking a fruit i would pick a mango! or an avocodo but im not sure if that one would really promote weight loss. but she did say that apples expand in your stomach when introduced to water so you wont get hungry... i guess it takes the willpower aspect out of it.

Quote emendblu View Post
    ok so this may seem a bit stupid but few people have preached to me the benefits of an apple diet when trying to loose weight. pretty much just consuming apples all day along with alot of water in order to fill you up and not really eating much of anything else. i figured this may be ok aside from the concern i had about large amounts of sugar. it seems if you really are eating 10-15 apples a day you will be taking in an obscene amount of sugar... does anybody have any experience with this?
    It would probably be ok if you just did it for a few days and genuinely needed to lose weight, but its not a balanced diet, a balanced diet has carbs, protein and fat.
    Severely restricted diets are associated with eating disorders.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote emendblu View Post
    she did say that apples expand in your stomach when introduced to water so you wont get hungry
    This sounds unlikely.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

An all apple diet is definitely not healthy but apples do expand alot in your stomach. Also, having an apple in the morning is an excellent way to replace coffee

Quote timberly View Post
    An all apple diet is definitely not healthy but apples do expand alot in your stomach.
    Hmmm. You know that for certain? Please forgive my scepticism. I'll have to put some apple in water and see what happens.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

*live*&*let*live

Apples contain pectin and this makes you feel fuller. Probably why it's an all apple fad diet. Sorry, but any diet that makes ridiculous claims of weightloss when only eating one food item is bonkers. Don't get me wrong, we've all us gals been there at one time or another, but too much of any one thing is 'bad' for you. IMO a healthy diet should include a wide range of fruits and vegetables and will serve you much better in the long run. You are right about the sugar, your teeth for one will suffer! There is also an increased risk of type 2 diabetes developing when consuming a diet full of sugar, fruit, fruit juice, sugary drinks etc.
    I am sure you are doing just fine with your vegan diet anyway! If you do want to lose weight, eat a bit less and exercise a bit more, there you go.....

*OMG! I think I am onto something here....I will patent that idea and write a book, go on Oprah, do an exercise DVD, just think I'll be famous! *

The only healthy way to lose weight is to combine physical exercise with a balanced, healthy diet - high in fibre and low in fat. Expend more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. It's mathematical. There is no other way. Any "fad" diet will almost invariably see you putting back on all the weight you lose. I know it's boring to hear, but diet has to be a lifestyle, something you can sustain long-term and enjoy what you're eating without feeling deprived. I challenge anyone to eat only apples all day long, day after day. And don't forget tooth decay - must be really bad for your teeth all that sugar.

I'm going to shut up now

Mahk

^What she said.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Why only apples? What is the rationale?
    An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

A garlic a day keeps everyone away.

The last three posts win.

Balanced diet* (Calories in < calories expended) = healthy weight loss
    context is everything

Mono-eating apples for more than a few days is pretty hardcore. If you really want to go the raw/natural route, maybe you could try going raw vegan instead? You'll be eating a better balance of foods and it might be easier to stick to than just apples.

Re: the sugar. I've done juice fasts before and the onslaught of apple juice made my teeth feel horrible.

i had a friend that did this for about 3 days, and she lost weight, but with something like this you always gain it back once you start eating like a normal human again. and in most cases you gain back more...

even if you don't change your diet and you just start excersising you actually might start loosing weight or even toning up...well thats how it is for me. I typically don't have to change my diet to loose weight i just have to excersise.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

So were all agreed, only apples + nothing else = bad idea. Fewer calories + excerise = good idea.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Eating in unsustainable ways is, IMHO, silly. You might loose a bunch of weight, but it's not a sustainable way of eating.

The important thing in weight management is working out what you need to sustain your body at the level of the level of activity you do, and sticking to that. If you need to lose a bunch of weight then cut down the calories a bit, but remember, if you are already very big, you would lose weight simply by eating the recommended amount for someone of the size you want to be as your calorie requirements are higher than a more slender person. Admittedly, this would be slow weight loss, but at least you don't need to learn to under eat, then to learn to eat properly again. I certainly don't think a diet that shortfalls more than 500kcals a day of your required amount for weight stasis is a good idea unless prescribed by a medical professional. Personally, I think unless you are overweight to the point that its really bad for you, a gradual weight loss is better.

I think monomeal diets such as cabbage soup, apples, juice diets etc. work because it's a lot easier to follow one rule 'only eat X' than it is to follow 'don't eat X, X, X, X and only eat a little of X X X X X' Also, frankly, after a few days of apples you will get somewhat tired of them, and stop eating for pleasure and just be eating to get rid of gnawing hunger pains. However, when you come off this diet you have learned nothing about how to eat properly.

Its no secret that I am a recovering anorexic, so maybe I have skewed ideas about how weight management should be done, so feel free to disregard everything I said above.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Zero

I've done this several times and I wouldn't recomend it to people, plus the way you are describing it and what you want to use it for are not inline with what it actually does.

Firstly, it isn't a diet. It is a fast, fasting is NEVER a good way to lose actual weight as your metabolism slows (even eating apples). You might lose water retention which can be good and it might help you to mentally re-address your relationship with food. The idea of this has been distorted by hype and silly fad diet websites.

You shouldn't do it for anymore than 3 days because your body will start to use glycogen from your muscles to supplement the lack of variety.

I wouldn't consider this unsafe necessarily the human body is built to be able to fast and many studies have found fasting to be a health benefit, just don't expect it to be some sort of miracle weight loss formula because it isn't. Clearly you want to lose weight so you should eat healthily and exercise.

The only benefit I found with this is the loss of retained water (my clothes always fit better after) and less of a desire for unhealthy foods and over eating, I also find a large amount of mental clarity on the third day that is excellent. To me the benefits are more mental than physical (when it is done properly and for the right reasons).

If you do an apple fast and then go back to how you were eating previously and a non active lifestyle, as missbettie points out you will gain the weight back and possibly more.

Healthy and effective weight loss comes from exercise and eating reasonable amounts within a balanced diet and not over eating or eating really late at night.

If Morgan Spurlock can survive eating nothing but McDonalds for 30 days I think its a pretty safe bet that you won't die from 3 days of just eating apples!

Quote loveganism View Post
    Re: the sugar. I've done juice fasts before and the onslaught of apple juice made my teeth feel horrible.
    I don't like the idea of drinking that much juice, the sugar is far too concentrated, eating whole fruit with all of it's components is different. Plus it is extremely wastefull to juice that much.

*live*&*let*live

The OP was actually referring to following or being advised to follow this as an actual diet though. Not as a detox. I agree a few days detox (although I personally wouldn't just eat apples) is fine and would benefit most people. But to eat just apples or any one item for weeks or even days to me isn't healthy.
    I also think the eating late at night is a fallacy. People lose weight regardless. What if you work nights and are asleep all day? You still lose weight. I eat late at night due to work and family commitments and I have just lost a stone. It doesn't agree with my digestion at times but I have no other alternative. I am hoping to get back to 'regular' meal times but for now this is it!

ETA Morgan was very ill though wasn't he and very unhealthy. Just goes to show that a diet of anything that is crap will not do you any good in the long term! (I think he was a vegetarian or vegan too wasn't he? If I am thinking of the same man the one who did the docu?)

Zero

Okay to clarify, what I should have said was "eating just before sleeping", you were taking me too literally.

It's not necessarily that eating before sleeping directly causes you to gain weight, however studies have shown (and many people state from experience) eating before bed affects how well people sleep, making it more difficult to get a good nights rest makes you sluggish the following day and impacts metabolism and how active you are/feel like being.

An example: http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=694624

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    ETA Morgan was very ill though wasn't he and very unhealthy. Just goes to show that a diet of anything that is crap will not do you any good in the long term! (I think he was a vegetarian or vegan too wasn't he? If I am thinking of the same man the one who did the docu?)
    Morgan Spurlock is an omni, but he has a vegan girlfriend. he did a vegan detox after filming Supersize Me but went back to meat afterwards.

and sorry to be picky, (not aiming this at you L&LL) but all these spelling mistakes are driving me mad: it's LOSE weight, not loose.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    sorry to be picky, (not aiming this at you L&LL) but all these spelling mistakes are driving me mad: it's LOSE weight, not loose.
    Ooooh... ouch

*live*&*let*live

The OP was actually referring to following or being advised to follow this as an actual diet though. Not as a detox. I agree a few days detox (although I personally wouldn't just eat apples) is fine and would benefit most people. But to eat just apples or any one item for weeks or even days to me isn't healthy.
    I also think the eating late at night is a fallacy. People lose weight regardless. What if you work nights and are asleep all day? You still lose weight. I eat late at night due to work and family commitments and I have just lost a stone. It doesn't agree with my digestion at times but I have no other alternative. I am hoping to get back to 'regular' meal times but for now this is it!

Umm sorry Gorilla but can you point out where I have said loose not lose? and you did say you weren't aiming this at me but I thought you may have been being a bit rhetorical?!

ETA just read through the whole thread again and I do see that this was used and not by me. I feel bad though picking up on spelling even though it is a bug bear of mine too. However, we all can make silly mistakes when tired. I know I do!

^ it was me that misspelled. Heaven forbid i misspell something in a forum on the internet.

*live*&*let*live

Hi MissB it wasn't your post I read it in I was referring to someone else and tbh I don't think it is very nice to point it out (see my last paragraph on my last post) so I hope you don't think I was being 'funny' as it's nothing to do with me how people spell anything!

^ no worries it doesn't matter, but it is interesting how much people like to pick at things. its not like we are all here to write a novel.

but like i said, it really really doesn't matter. and i'm definately not going to correct my post.

*live*&*let*live

Cool glad you are ok with it!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    and sorry to be picky, (not aiming this at you L&LL) but all these spelling mistakes are driving me mad: it's LOSE weight, not loose.
    My fault, however, being dyslexic, I'll forgive myself.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

*live*&*let*live

Not you aswell ms D?! WHERE?!! OMG! all this over a typo or spello or whatever it was o?!

Not you aswell ms D?! WHERE?!! OMG! all this over a typo or spello or whatever it was o?!
    I blame David Beckham and all this Rebecca Loose/Lose thing.

*live*&*let*live

^That would be Loos this time

ETA Loser more like....

Quote Zero View Post
    I don't like the idea of drinking that much juice, the sugar is far too concentrated, eating whole fruit with all of it's components is different. Plus it is extremely wastefull to juice that much.
    Yeah, I tried to balance it up by using greens, wheatgrass etc but I did feel a little light-headed. Also, my boyf. said I looked a funny colour after a couple of days , haha. I agree about the waste. I never know what to do with the pulp! It always looks too sloppy to use for anything else. Smoothies are better.

*live*&*let*live

^ a funny colour? Well as long as he didn't spin you around and attempt to take the stalk out of your head I'm sure you were fine!

haha I think I looked a bit, uh... yellowy/orangey from all the carrot juice

*live*&*let*live

Well, to be peeled is a nicer option of course! (of clothes not skin )

Quote missbettie View Post
    ^ no worries it doesn't matter, but it is interesting how much people like to pick at things. its not like we are all here to write a novel.

but like i said, it really really doesn't matter. and i'm definately not going to correct my post.
    Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    My fault, however, being dyslexic, I'll forgive myself.
    i intended no offence, it was meant to be lighthearted. i realise spelling isn't important/natural to everyone, but it's something i find it really hard to ignore, especially when it's repeated over and over again in the same thread. i wasn't getting at any one person in particular.

sorry
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

leedsveg

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i intended no offence, it was meant to be lighthearted. i realise spelling isn't important/natural to everyone, but it's something i find it really hard to ignore, especially when it's repeated over and over again in the same thread. i wasn't getting at any one person in particular.

sorry
    Can I enter into the spirit of this and point out that:

1) The first word beginning a sentence always starts with a capital letter.

2) The personal pronoun 'I' always has a capital letter.

Best wishes

e e cummings

(Up to 1998, you could have got into trouble for doing this kind of thing in Great Britain. And then capital punishment was abolished.........)

Quote Gorilla View Post

sorry
    Oh, don't worry pet. I'm a bit prickly over it because I was bullied about it (and about a million other things) at school. My issue, not yours, so sorry if I seemed to be overreacting... which in reterospect, I was. Anyway, have a hug.... mainly because, well, it's Friday and who doesn't want to hug a Gorilla on a Friday? <3

Zero

I guess Gorilla's apology is good enough for you leedsveg? Well thats unfortunate. If by "enter into the spirit of things" you mean attempting to create additional drama/tension in a simple misunderstanding that has now been diffused then well done.

*live*&*let*live

^ I think LV is just being daft Zero ^ :smile:

Zero

Either way I shall interject no further.

leedsveg

Quote Zero View Post
    I guess Gorilla's apology is good enough for you leedsveg? Well thats unfortunate. If by "enter into the spirit of things" you mean attempting to create additional drama/tension in a simple misunderstanding that has now been diffused then well done.
    Hi Zero

I'm sure that Gorilla accepts that my posting was tongue in cheek.

"Additional drama/tension"? Crikey, Zero, on first reading I almost thought you were being serious. Anyway well done!

Best wishes

leedsveg

leedsveg

^ I think LV is just being daft Zero ^ :smile:
    Dear L & LL

"Daft"? "Daft"? Please accept this as the first intimation that my solicitors will shortly be contacting you to claim a load of dosh on the grounds of you libelling me.

I remain

leedsveg

ps hope you're feeling better

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Hi zero

I'm sure that Gorilla accepts that my posting was tongue in cheek.
    It's so hard to tell on forums. I shall refrain from ever commenting on such subjects again. By the way, Zero spells his name with a capital letter.

(Post correctly capitalised for everyone's benefit)

I love the title of this thread - it's kind of self-explanatory. Something like "Swine Flu = Fun???"

leedsveg

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Dear L & LL

"Daft"? "Daft"? Please accept this as the first intimation that my solicitors will shortly be contacting you to claim a load of dosh on the grounds of you libelling me.

I remain

leedsveg

ps hope you're feeling better
    Can I just confirm that this was a lighthearted post and that I will not actually be suing live & let live.

leedsveg

*live*&*let*live

Hey! Don't tell fibs I had my final demand in the post today!
    159 pineapples
    243 Strawberries
    a handful of potatoes and 4 bags of spinach....

I'm afraid I can't afford to send all 4 bags of spinach so I will have to IOU for two. Hope this is ok? Otherwise the baliffs will come