Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changes in skin after going veg?

Default Changes in skin after going veg?

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed an improvment in their skin after going veg. I did the last time I did it, and after just three weeks my skin looks freaking amazing! Does anyone know why this is?
    :: As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. :: [Leo Tolstoy]

Seaside

Default Re: Skin

Cow milk is very bad for human skin! So, I suspect, are all the hormones injected into animal "foods". Breakouts are mostly hormonal, and getting rid of all that crap from your diet should help in all but the most stubborn cases of skin problems.

Default Re: Improvment in skin after going veg

I had a terrible breakout after quitting dairy- loads of zits like iv not had since teenage years! Its alot better now though. I used witch hazel to clear it up.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

My skin looked much better.

I agree with seaside - acne is hormonal, despite how dermatologists seem to think it can be cured by antibiotics and topical ointments. That treats symptoms, not the cause.

Dairy is loaded with hormones, so cutting that out helps. It also irritates a lot of peoples intestines, so that vitamins and minerals are not properly absorbed.

My skin is not any better since going vegan more than a year ago. But, it wasn't terrible before, either. But, I figure that since it takes seven years for all your body's cells renew, I need to be patient.

feral

I developed adult acne a couple of years ago and had to resort to a topical solution from the doctor as I was getting really big sore spots that wouldn't go away. I've been vegan two months and stopped using the solution just over a week ago, I did have a few tiny pimples last week (woman's time) but so far my skin looks fine. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too soon but it would be great if my skin had settled again.

I always had nice skin, but I didn't really eat the typical "SAD" diet growing up. But once I went vegan, my skin looked even nicer.

I am getting pimples now, though. I really don't know why. Stress?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

One of my miracles of going vegan is that my eczema is now gone. I had hand eczema which is the red blister variety and it would also show up in random other spots. My face looks so amazing now. I don't even get the PMS breakouts at all and I have had them my whole life.
    Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

I try to watch my lysine intake and I believe that this has really helped my skin. I figured this out because when I would get a cold sore I would take two lysine tablets, then the next day my blackheads would be smaller "grey" heads. Hehe.

Sheila,

I have just found out that I have eczema. I actually realized this because my skin is clearing up but these places are still there (doctor confirmed it).
    Anyway, do you think you are doing anything in particular to be rid of your eczema?
    The only thing that is working for me is tea tree oil about 5 times a day directly on the spot, but I would like to knock it out at the source.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Seaside

Quote Tigerlily
    I always had nice skin, but I didn't really eat the typical "SAD" diet growing up. But once I went vegan, my skin looked even nicer.

I am getting pimples now, though. I really don't know why. Stress?
    Yes, definitely, Tigerlily. Increase your intake of B vitamins to counteract this, as they are easily used up when you are under stress, and you may find that it helps your skin.

Quote Haniska

Sheila,

I have just found out that I have eczema. I actually realized this because my skin is clearing up but these places are still there (doctor confirmed it).
    Anyway, do you think you are doing anything in particular to be rid of your eczema?
    The only thing that is working for me is tea tree oil about 5 times a day directly on the spot, but I would like to knock it out at the source.
    Well what I was always told and I believe this is true that there is a link between my former severe sinus problems and the eczema. It turns out that I have a dairy allergy and when I quit eating cheese I could breath through my nose which I hadn't been able to do in about 15 years. My eczema could be related to that allergy since it went away at the same time.

My brother has very bad eczema on his arms and has horrible sinus problems. My mother has sinus problems and no eczema. (They are both cheese eating fools)

Here's a link to web md about it though you may have already gone there:
    http://www.webmd.com/content/article/61/67471.htm

Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

Thanks for the info Sheila! I do have terrible allergies but I think that they are mostly of the external variety. I remember when I was very sick and had hawked out all of the mucous in my throat (leaving it very dry) I would drink milk to get some more. Sorry to be so disgusting but it made sense to me at the time.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Unfortunately mine didn't improve , but then I've always had okay-ish skin, was vegetarian throughout puberty, and was never a heavy dairy consumer.

Never had acne, but never had good skin - quite a few spots, oily but a bit flakey - it was the thing that bothered me most when I was a teenager. Nothing seemed to make it any better (hygeine regime, diet, going on the pill - for other reasons, etc.). It hasn't vastly improved since I went vegan, but I think a combination of that and using Lush facial soaps has resulted in a bit of an improvement. I came off the pill a few months ago for vegan reasons and was expecting the worst, but so far so good .

feral

Bugger! I spoke too soon, got up this morning with two, one's really sore so the topical solution's back out *tisk*

Leaf-let

Question Skin

It's been about a month now that I have started to become a vegan. My milk intake is nill, bits of cheese here and there, and only tiny smatterings of meat on rare occasions, or when I am not in a position to make a fuss. I am making no claim that I am 100% vegan at the moment, but I am getting there and my eating habits are hardly recognizable from what they used to be.

Anyway, I have noticed issues with my skin. Specifically, I am finding patches of raised, dry skin, sometimes itchy skin resembling excema (sp?) on random parts of my body, but mostly on my arms, legs and chest. This happened earlier this year, and if memory serves me correctly, it was around when I had first attempted to go vegan and shifted my eating away from dairy, eggs, and meat.

Is it possible that the two are connected? Have I cut something out of my diet that might be causing this that I have not replaced? Is it a vitamin thing? an oil thing? or are my eating habbits completely unrelated and I should just go see a dermatologist?

It's hard to tell. It may be that it would have happened anyway. I have excema, and the things I worry about are omega 3 and zinc. It wouldn't do any harm to supplement your diet and see if you notice a difference.

You may find some helpful info on the excema thread

I had problems with dry skin and a little acne before I went vegan. When I went vegan my skin cleared up completely after a few months. I agree with Cherry, flax seems to be helpful for my skin and my hair. Most vegans eat flax for omega 3's, I eat 2 T of milled flax daily, I sprinkle it on food. Good luck on your veganism.
    The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

cheeky_b

Default Skin problems

Hi,
    has anyone experienced skin problems in the time of being vegan? I've gone from a veg to vegan diet about a month and a half and the problem I've endured is cracked skin at the corner of my lips. Also I've noticed small blisters near my nails, dry skin there and peels.

Has anyone had this sort of trouble?

I've searched through and found out it's due to lack of vitamin B2. So far I've counted avocado, nuts, oat, brown rice, whole grains, broccoli, leafy green vegetables, asparagus and molasses as sources. If anyone knows of other accessible sources, please add!

Also, I tend to purchase Veg1 multivitamin. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Default Re: Changes in skin after going veg

Hi Cheeky,
    How is your iron intake? The cracked skin at the edges of your mouth could be due to low iron too. Make sure you do keep eating plenty of good green veg. and your right that molasses is an excellent source of iron and B vits. + calcium. Do you like yeast extract, that's a good source for B vitamins too.

cheeky_b

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    Hi Cheeky,
    How is your iron intake? The cracked skin at the edges of your mouth could be due to low iron too. Make sure you do keep eating plenty of good green veg. and your right that molasses is an excellent source of iron and B vits. + calcium. Do you like yeast extract, that's a good source for B vitamins too.
    I actually don't know what's yeast extract. For iron I eat wholewheat bread, beans, salad, tofu, dried fruit, nuts, parsley.

It's Marmite, you can buy the Meridian brand which is the most ethical. It tastes pretty salty. We Brits often have it spread thinly on little fingers of toast for us as soon as our parents notice we have enough teeth to manage it! Some hate it but many love it. I do! It is packed with B vitamins.

ive been vegan for a month
    and my skin use to be flawless i moved to texas which is way more humid but my skin has gotten worse
    im hoping it is just getting worse before it gets better
    any ideas on whats going on?

I've heard this can happen as a part of detox and should clear up soon. My skin is horrible and being vegan didn't help unfortunately.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Leaf-let View Post
    It's been about a month now that I have started to become a vegan. My milk intake is nill, bits of cheese here and there, and only tiny smatterings of meat on rare occasions, or when I am not in a position to make a fuss. I am making no claim that I am 100% vegan at the moment, but I am getting there and my eating habits are hardly recognizable from what they used to be.

Anyway, I have noticed issues with my skin. Specifically, I am finding patches of raised, dry skin, sometimes itchy skin resembling excema (sp?) on random parts of my body, but mostly on my arms, legs and chest. This happened earlier this year, and if memory serves me correctly, it was around when I had first attempted to go vegan and shifted my eating away from dairy, eggs, and meat.

Is it possible that the two are connected? Have I cut something out of my diet that might be causing this that I have not replaced? Is it a vitamin thing? an oil thing? or are my eating habbits completely unrelated and I should just go see a dermatologist?
    I got something like this, except it was red, blistery, terribly itchy, and started about a month or two before I went vegan (I was completely omni then). Maybe it was triggered with the stress of moving to college and other physical factors (in my case). It stayed for a couple months, went dormant (many spots diminished, stopped itching), then suddenly recently it's flared up again and I'm really itchy and it's red again. The doctor didn't think it was eczema because of checking the inside elbow, but I've always had a red rash like this on my arms, since I was a baby.

Quote pixihorrific View Post
    ive been vegan for a month
    and my skin use to be flawless i moved to texas which is way more humid but my skin has gotten worse
    im hoping it is just getting worse before it gets better
    any ideas on whats going on?
    are you in a sunnier climate than you used to be? Bight sunlight uses up visual purple in the eye which depletes...vitamin A I think...which plays a huge role in how good your skin is. So if you have recently got more sunny this could be making your skin bad. You can get what you need from orange-y fruits/veg, when I was in Malaysia I lived on papayas and carrot juice.

Quote squigaletta View Post
    are you in a sunnier climate than you used to be? Bight sunlight uses up visual purple in the eye which depletes...vitamin A I think...which plays a huge role in how good your skin is. So if you have recently got more sunny this could be making your skin bad. You can get what you need from orange-y fruits/veg, when I was in Malaysia I lived on papayas and carrot juice.
    yes i do.i live in texas now and i moved from illinois,big difference in my opinion.ill definitely start downing my orange-y fruits/vegs.thank you
    I also heard i need to exfoliate more can anyone recommend a good exfoliator?

Ok did a little more research and visual purple is vitamin a, so it is worth trying to up your intake, carrots are good, as are:
    sweet potatos
    mangoes
    spinach
    cantaloupe
    dried apricots
    so orangy veg and dark leafy veg. I had the same problem and it took me about a week after my diet change for my skin to start clearing up. Hope it helps!
    As for exfoliator the tendancy is to go for something too harsh, you skin is quite gentle and doesn't need scratching. for homemade stuff I like oatmeal, sea salt is often used but for me that is just to harsh. Sugar in olive oil is ok but a bit too oily for me.

Thank you for all the info on skin problems. I have been having horrible issues with my skin since going vegan. My rosacea is worse, I have horrible eczema on my hand and I am broken out like never before. I was hoping it was just a detoxing thing, but it's been several months and I was worried about being allergic to something I am now eating.

I turned vegan over five years ago, and my skin was the same as ever for quite some time. Then six months ago I developed eczema, and have just been diagnosed with rosacea. Don't think it is connected to my change in diet, and have tried cutting things out like yeast, but nothing has helped yet. Have also tried cutting down on my antibotics this last week, and as a result my face has been incredibly itchy and sore. Are there any herbal things out here to help? Am thinking about aromatherapy, if anyone else has had any luck.

i've been vegan for a year now, and lately my skin looks awful - blotchy with few spots. Idon't know what's changed! I eat loads of fruit and veg and am sure to get all my b12 and iron. i eat the occasional junk food and drink alcohol on weekends (but I always have).
    any ideas?

I've noticed a big improvement in my skin since going vegan, it's much more even toned and less oily. I don't seem to get any spots either.

My skin has gotten worse since going vegan... it was pretty good before. But it's not related to veganism... I just haven't been washing my face as often.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

My skin turned horrible. I used to get the odd spot more often than I'd like to but now I've got a nasty red cluster on my chin that's all patchy-rash like and general blahness. There are patches of really dry skin at the base of my thumbs and my face is pretty flaky too. I'm not enjoying this side effect at all. I eat loads of fruit and am not bad at looking after myself. Got a bottle of flax oil so hopefully that'll help but yeah, pretty demoralising stuff! I've been vegan for only a bit more than two months so it's pretty clear it's connected. Darn.

Quote kit View Post
    I've been vegan for only a bit more than two months so it's pretty clear it's connected. Darn.
    No, I don't think it is, you're just assuming it is.

Quote Risker View Post
    Yeah, correlation |= causation. For me personally, my skin on my face seems a little better, but still fluctuates a bit (the fluctuations I notice a bit more now, probably due to greater awareness of myself). I've had an itchy rash type thing on my arms, legs, and chest (since I was a baby, don't know when the itching kicked in exactly but I remember since I was 3 or 4). That has gone up and down the last 4-6 months, but got really bad about two to four months before I went vegan. If it had happened a bit later, I probably would've thought it was the diet (or the weather) that caused the dramatic shift in itchiness and visible appearance, except that correlation doesn't always mean causation, and requires a careful, as objective as possible analysis of all the factors that could plausibly tie into this.

I went to a GP about the rash and just got a cream without an endeavor to find out what was causing it (the cream didn't even work too well). Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to manage, and makes me unable to do anything productive in the hour or two after a shower, and going outside in the rain (ugh) it seeps through my pants and it's crazy! I am somewhat hesitant to bring up this concern at the next appointment, though, as it has already been implied (twice) that I am some sort of hypochondriac even though I expressed relief at negative test results rather than demanding a second opinion or some such...even to the point that they brought in a social worker and behavioral health specialist -twice- because apparently stress must be causing all my back and eye issues, even though I have scoliosis and migraines and I'm still not even sure if they put in a referral to a neurologist (the opthalmalogist was concerned about me rocking! ). If a small annular tear in L5 won't put me out, the stress of being told that it's just stress will. Gee, this is how they acted towards someone who is being reasonable with them; how do they manage to condescend towards those who truly have emotional and logical difficulties?

Quote Risker View Post
    I'm not sure. I suppose you're right in that there's no way I can know whether it is or isn't, but there's a pretty significant change in a lot about my body since I became vegan, including energy levels and the such (in both extremes, due to what I was eating and this I know). My skin has never been like this before so it's pretty tough not to draw conclusions here. Don't get me wrong, it's not enough to put me off - but it doesn't mean I won't ignore it or assume the cause is probably dietary as that's the only thing that's changed.

The flax oil might help as a shortage of omega-3 oils can cause skin inflammation according to some people. I suppose if someone used to eat fish and stopped without substituting a vegetable source of these oils that could have a bad effect on their skin.

There are a few threads about omega-3 oils on the forum.

Other things can affect your skin, though, like if you start using different cosmetics, shampoos and so on, which people sometimes do when they go vegan. I had a nasty bout of dermatitis on my face a couple of years ago and assumed it was diet-related but it turned out to be toiletry-related

I think my skin is much better now than pregan, it's clearer and feels healthier.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I have been vegan for just over 3 weeks now and I have noticed a big improvement in my skin.

I have read that skin replaces itself every 3 weeks so now would be the time to notice a difference. I did not have spots but I did have lots of little broken veins which are much better and my skin colour is much nicer loking, well I think so anyway.

My face is much less puffy as are my legs and ankles.

Quote Quantum Mechanic View Post
    I went to a GP about the rash and just got a cream without an endeavor to find out what was causing it (the cream didn't even work too well).
    I hate the way doctors do that. Too much work to treat the cause instead of the symptom. that's why i hardly ever go to doctors. they look at me stupid when i start questioning them as to WHY i have this ailment and how to stop it reoccuring - not just taking chemicals to make it go away this time.

I think my skin problems are mainly due to drinking alcohol on the weekends. i seem to get a facefull of red blotches on a mon/tues then clear up by a friday - at which point i normally drink more alcohol and the cycle starts again. i don't want to have to become teetotal! help!!!

I've only switched to a vegan diet two weeks ago but my skin is already much clearer and looks almost glowy. I'm hoping this becomes a regular thing.

My skin is as soft as a peach.
    So my partner said the other night.
    he noticed a big difference since I (we) went vegan.

I noticed that my hair stays clean and soft longer too.
    They were So dry before and almost suddendly, they stay soft for a whole week.

Amazing.
    I hope a lot of female colleagues will notice soon too so I can answer with
    "it's my vegan diet"

I can't wait.
    Either that or I'll just brag out loud lol
    The cause is worth it

Nope, I always had bad skin until I started taking birth control..MIRACLE!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

Just hit the three month mark... skin still fairly crummy there's been a flaking rash type thing on my chin for over a month now, going by my last post in this thread! How crap is that?

Ah well, at least I'm still alive. I think I am, anyway!

i noticed a difference in my skin within a week!
    i didnt know dairy had an effect on skin prior to going vegan ,
    noticed 4 days after giving up dairy that my spots and blackheads had gone... wondered why as id tried for years to get rid of them... then the penny dropped and i looked it up to see if there was a link betweeen dairy and spots ..... and there was ofcourse

Quote Sarabi View Post
    My skin has gotten worse since going vegan... it was pretty good before. But it's not related to veganism... I just haven't been washing my face as often.

Haha.

Hmm, I find my skin has gotten better after becoming vegan, but this could be because I'm drinking more water too. My main advantage of veganism is that I used to have a permanent cold, got ill all the time, had two or three colds in a row a lot of the time too. I used to have to take vitamin C supplements.

All thats gone now I'm vegan, maybe because I have more natural vit C from all the fruit I eat, or maybe just a better nutritional balance but its helped me (=

I noticed that I had far fewer spots after going vegan, but boy did I have a bad cheese habit.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

*live*&*let*live

OH said I was glowing the other day! I'm not pregnant or to the best of my knowledge swallowed some uranium or toxic waste so it must be my healthy diet hurrah!

My hair is glossy and my skin is really quite clear for the first time in forever (due to PCOS) so I'm cool! Now I fear I have jinxed it for speaking it out loud!