Thread: seeds and how much

veggiewoman

Default seeds and how much

on a general chit chat board somebody is asking :

I've just started eating Sunflower. pumpkin and sesame seeds but i can't find anywhere how much of each I should eat. can anyone help please.

and I thought to myself, I dont know but I know a few people that will lol
    thanks

Default Re: seeds and how much

"Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Tiggerwoo

I don't think you can overdose on them. I just have a couple of handfuls or so, whenever I am hungry and usually keep a tub to hand at work and snack on them at times.

About a tablespoon serving. That would be roughly 24 seeds so Mr Flibble is quite right in saying that. A few hundred sesame seeds though 'cos they're tiny!
    Now, if he'd said 42 rather as 24 that would mean you had asked the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

An ounce is a serving of nuts, so maybe an ounce of each? But if they are trying to loose weight, eating so many nuts might not help as they are high in fat.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

mango woman

crikey i think i overdo it every single day. I eat nuts and seeds with my breakfasts every morning. uh oh.

I read this article Somewhere that people who ate 500 calories worth of nuts per day actually lost weight because they felt fuller.
    Why are you worried about overdosing on nuts? Do you get coldsores?
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I eat almonds every day, just to be sure
    'To repeat what others have said requires education, to challenge it requires brains.'

Seaside

Quote veggiewoman
    on a general chit chat board somebody is asking :

I've just started eating Sunflower. pumpkin and sesame seeds but i can't find anywhere how much of each I should eat. can anyone help please.

and I thought to myself, I dont know but I know a few people that will lol
    thanks
    Grind equal amounts of each, mix them together, and use two or three tablespoonfuls a day on cereals, salads, etc. Keep the ground mixture in the fridge, and don't grind any more than you can use up in a week's time, to prevent them from growing rancid.

grinding is important. To chew a handful of sesame seeds still allows plenty of them to go right through your gut, but grinding does all the hard work. I also keep ground mixture of nuts/seeds in the fridge ready for a tablespoon to sprinkle over the breakfast fruit.
    Eve

Tiggerwoo

Yes, I'd agree with that. I get the Seed Doctor mix. You can buy a big tub for about £3.99 and it's all ground up for you!

Quote eve
    grinding is important. To chew a handful of sesame seeds still allows plenty of them to go right through your gut, but grinding does all the hard work. I also keep ground mixture of nuts/seeds in the fridge ready for a tablespoon to sprinkle over the breakfast fruit.
    Eating tahini regularly will also be useful as it is made from ground sesame seeds.
    As for how many seeds of all kinds, I would not like to give a number but they are an important part of the vegan diet. They provide protein, vitamins and minerals and essential fatty acids. Too many may cause diarrheoa.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Default nuts too....

i have a large pinch of sunflower & pumpkin seeds daily. grinding them sounds a good idea, where are the grinders sold?

as for nuts i eat say 3 or 4 daily each of walnuts, brazils and almonds, i dont think you need to eat tonnes per day of them. am i right?

I don't really like seeds much except sesame, so I rarely have them unless theyre in somethig and I can't really taste them. I love nuts though.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Default Re: nuts too....

i have a large pinch of sunflower & pumpkin seeds daily. grinding them sounds a good idea, where are the grinders sold? as for nuts i eat say 3 or 4 daily each of walnuts, brazils and almonds, i dont think you need to eat tonnes per day of them. am i right?
    cedarblue, I also buy them ready ground, such as LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond) in proportion of 1:2:3 to sprinkle over fruit. I also put a spoonful of tahini over fruit each day. And no, you don't need to eat heaps. I eat 4 brazil nuts each day since reading somewhere that Australian soil is lacking in something (can't remember the name - but it is important!). I also eat a handful of peanuts each day - I enjoy shelling them. I do have a grinder actually, and used to use it for coffee beans and nuts, but guess I've become lazy.
    Eve