Thread: completely vegan companies?

gmoney

Default completely vegan companies?

i had a question that i can't seem to find the answer to on the internet. my question is: are there any truly vegan companies? i mean, silk is owned by dean foods, the major milk producer, and boca is owned by kraft (or something like that). i've heard other such info about white wave and the rest of the name brand vegan foods. so, does anybody know if any company that makes vegan friendly foods, like tofutti, is family owned and operated and not owned by a big-time corporation? Thanks!

Default Re: completely vegan companies?

You'll need to decide exactly what your specification is for completely before that question can be answered.

For example, is a company that only produces vegan food a completely vegan company? What about if the owners aren't vegan themselves? Do all the suppliers have to be vegan and only sell vegan products? Do all ingrediants have to be veganically farmed? What about how the company spends and manages it's money, whether it invests profits in other companies which aren't totally vegan, who it banks with etc. What about cut off dates for chemicals, is it only completely vegan if the chemicals have never been tested on animals, or only if they haven't for x number of years?

I don't think there's such a thing as a completely vegan company, but then I've yet to meet a human (myself included) who can claim to be completely vegan. Certainly some are more vegan than others, but none 'completely'.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

gmoney

good points, mr. flibble. lots of that stuff hadn't even crossed my mind. mainly, i meant independently run vegan companies that produce only vegan foods. essentially, i don't want to buy silk and then support dean foods in the process. or buy boca and support kraft. i'm assuming that nothing like that exists...i was just hoping!

Redwoods is the only company I can think of that produce only vegan food. Veganstore only sell vegan food but don't make it.

I guess it partly depends on what your definition of veganism is if you're trying to define something as 'complete'. Some people extend veganism to all animals (including humans), which introduces the aspect of human rights and demands that all products be fair trade. There's plenty of companies that sell only non-human vegan products (i.e. without non-human animal exploitation) and the owners are vegan, but I know of none in my area of the world (the UK) who only source fair trade ingredients.

I think you also need to be weary of falling into the trap that multinational is automatically bad and independantly owned is better. Granted the majority of the companies I personally boycott are multinationals (unilever, p&g, glaxo-smithkline etc), but on the evilness scale of 1 to 10 there's plenty of independant companies that rank highly - similarly there's plenty of multinationals i have no problems purchasing goods (food or otherwise) from. Just because your local organic health food store is organic it doesn't mean the owners aren't saving up for a wild game safari this summer, or own thousands of pounds worth of shares in mcdonalds. Another aspect of public vs private is that from an anti captialist point of view (which i personally am not, but i identify with and understand the perils of certain people/organisations becoming too rich whilst others starve) independant companies make individuals very rich, whilst public companies make profit for (many) shareholders.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock