Thread: Soya milk that can be given from birth that is not full of sugar?

Sharons

Default Re: Vegan Mom's with vegan children

Hello

I have just found this forum looks like it’s a very friendly community and some very friendly people here so i call on you good people for some serious advice. i am vegetarian and having my 3rd child and want to raise my baby vegetarian but i don’t want to give it cows milk i am going to breast feed for as long as i can, but i have concerns about the whole thing like what if i cant breast feed? do you guys know of Soya milk that can be given from birth that is not full of sugar? what if i raise on Soya milk and i give it cows milk when its around 3 years is it possible this could cause a bad reaction? can you recommend any good books or web sites that can offer some strong advice?

Thank you for any advice

Default Re: Vegan Mom's with vegan children

If you're looking for specific products it will help if you say what country you're in. I know one in the UK which can be given from 12 months, but it may not be of any use
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

veggiewoman

Default Re: Soya milk that can be given from birth that is not full of sugar?

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/peo...ren/babies.php

that may help .

Have you tried alpro milk , tats good stuff, but like has already been said , what country are you in , then we can help you more hopefully

veggiewoman

you can buy non sweetned soya milks, I use those now, I have jsut bought the alpro one which is un sweetend and has added calicium in it too .

just done some more research and asked my childcare friends, they are nannies and this is what they said :

my last charge went on to soya products for about 6 months and seemed fine for the whole time and took to them straight away.

I've used soya products with babies who had skin problems (dry skin), reccurent ear infections ( sign of lactose intolerance). there is soya formula, so I don't see why it shouldn't be suitable for babies. my 10 month old son loves soya yogurts!

I'm surprised no-one has said this yet but soya milks on their own are not suitable as the main nutrition in infants - you need to get special formula, specific to babies.

I was just about to.

I read somewhere (could have been veganfamily site) that the only formula suitable for vegan babies in the UK is Farleys Soya Formula.

veggiewoman

I was going to mention it but it had it on the link I put up anyway , and yes it is Farleys soya milk in UK

Lol, come to think of it Veggiewoman I think it was the vegan society page you linked to that I was thinking of

Quote twinkle View Post
    I'm surprised no-one has said this yet but soya milks on their own are not suitable as the main nutrition in infants - you need to get special formula, specific to babies.
    The soymilk cartons here in the US contain a warning - NOT TO BE USED AS INFANT FORMULA

The soy nog I buy keeps the warning, but changes it to read, "Not to be used as infant nog."

veggiewoman

not sure about the sugar contents but here is this forumla milk suitable for vegetarians and vegan babies :
    http://www.tinytums.co.uk/content/pr..._products.aspx

Farley’s Soya Formula
    • Nutritionally complete milk-free infant formula
    • Free from animal products
    • Suitable from birth for vegetarians, vegans and some communities with diet restrictions.
    • Available on prescription for babies and children with proven milk intolerance or allergy.
    • Available from pharmacies

Awesome you're going to breastfeed as long as you can. If you have problems, don't hesitate to see a lactation consultant ASAP as they really do have a lot of good advice.

Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm sure you will.