Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would the child you were think of the adult you are now?

Default What would the child you were think of the adult you are now?

I am living a completely different life from the way I grew up. I had dreams that I never thought would come true. I thought it would be fun to share what our younger selves would think of our older selves.

The child I was would be thrilled that her dream of living in the country with a house full of animals had come true.

The child I was would be amazed that her prince charming had shown up to prove that fairy tales really do come true.

The child I was would be shocked that a mealy mouthed little girl had grown up into a rabblerouser.

The child I was would wonder why she hadn't recognized herself for the witch she always was. (Now she understands why one day of sunday school was enough for her).

The child I was would be proud that she grew up to be a woman capable of critical thought and filled with compassion.

Default Re: What would the child you were think of the adult you are now?

that is an excellent question!!

i would be highly disappointed in my self (except for the vagan part)
    my friend and i were just talking about this. in 8th grade ( i went to the same school from kindergarten until 8th) we had to write what we were going to when we grew up, our teacher put it in our graduation packet that i still have. i put own a vegetarian restaurant where i can put up the photos that i take... funny how i knew what i wanted then and now i am clueless. actually that's not even what i want now, but it sounds a lot cooler than what i do now

I'd be a disappointment to myself too. It seems that when I was a child I had all of these dreams I wanted to achieve, and now I'm nearly 32 I've no idea what I'm going to do with my life. It really gets me down sometimes.

Quote veganwitch
    I am living a completely different life from the way I grew up. I had dreams that I never thought would come true. I thought it would be fun to share what our younger selves would think of our older selves.

The child I was would be thrilled that her dream of living in the country with a house full of animals had come true.

The child I was would be amazed that her prince charming had shown up to prove that fairy tales really do come true.

The child I was would be shocked that a mealy mouthed little girl had grown up into a rabblerouser.

The child I was would wonder why she hadn't recognized herself for the witch she always was. (Now she understands why one day of sunday school was enough for her).

The child I was would be proud that she grew up to be a woman capable of critical thought and filled with compassion.
    Very weird veganwitch, I think we must be twins separated at birth as I feel exactly the same way
    Silent but deadly :p

I think I would be quite pleased

I was obsessed with computer games aged 4 to 13 and one of the first things i did as an adult was a degree in making them. Aged 13 to 18 I was obsessed with electronics hardware, network coding and protocol reverse engineering - I now have a job doing roughly that. I wanted my own place to live from the age of 14 onwards and thus that was the first thing i sorted after uni when i was earning.

Everyone has niggles/things they'd like to change and sometimes they become overpowering and crowd what's actually going on. Overall thou I'm generally quite mindfull of who I am and where I am in relation to where I want to be both now and historically. In the grand scheme of things I'm quite content with who I am, where I am and where I'm going.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

sugarmouse

I guess i would be quite happy.when i was young i was realy mature.i never messed abpout or was silly as children do...i was sensible and just wanted people to leave me alone n let me do what i wanted.i didnt like other kids.i was shy..mainly due to lack of confidence as i was convinced i wasnt as 'good' as other people..but also i was a loner and quite happy at it.i am an only child unles you count mysister but theres a 17 yr age gap so it isnt the same. i wasnt very happy at home with my parents...not much of a family life going on and wheni was 15 i left...i am proud in a way..in another way i wished i hadnt done it as i m not close to the family.i was teased at school for bing fat and ugly.and i became very thin when iwas 15 ..best thing i ever did! im not thin now but not fat..i wouldve had a very unhapy life if i had stayed fat so i am proud of myself for losing the weight.i became a glamour model at 18..when you have spent your life being called fat and ugly..that makes you proud!it worked for me anyways.i am proud of my looks.
    i was also the absolute bottom f the class from when i was moved to a school i hated when i was 7...seriously behind all the other kids. i beleive if i met a teacher from that school now and told them i had a degree they would tell me they had a flying giraffe...i am going to do a masters soon...i am proud i proved people wrong with my intelligence.
    i am not proud of where i am at the moment in terms of that i live nicely because my parents are well off.they bought my house and i live in it..i dont have to pay to live...i dont like it that i dont support myself sometimes..but then my parents dont mind at all.
    I am proud of my work ethic..it helps me a lot.and my ability to be happy..i have noticed i have that more than some people and i think my childhood has a lot to do with it..even though i have had a rocky ride since i moved to preston,mainly to do with relationships!but i havent changed as a person much since childhood realy.I am glad, and proud i didnt end up mentally scarred from certain people!

As a child I wanted to play the drums and have my own kit.

I succeded, so I am pretty happy with that.

I had never thought of this before.

I think the little girl I was would love the woman I am now. I am so happy in life and love who I am that I think she would be very happy for me.

Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

I feel a bit like roxy. I had dreams of getting a motor bike and traveling around on it, but i never had the guts to do it.
    I am pleased with many things though. I come from a poor family and my hopes were to have my own house and learn to cook healthy food. I was fed cheap meat and all sorts of nasty things. My other wish was to have lots of clothes and shoes and i have plenty of them. I know its a very simple wish but its no fun being the odd one out at school and having shit clothes
    My other wish was to have a good job and be respected. I had that but had to give it up to look after my children but there is plenty of time left to get back to that one.

I was a rather anxious child, so I would probably be pleasantly surprised to find that I'm still alive, fed, clothed, (more or less) solvent etc

The child I was would look at me and say "Oh crap, I'm going to be a baldie"
    "I've been very hungry, but not enough to kill" - The Clash

I'm disappointed... time just flew by and I haven't caught up. I have self esteem issues which have prevented me from moving on further. I hate to say this, but I'm frustrated in life... I think I might need counceling or a career coach to guide me. But I'm happy with myself as a fellow human being - I'm compassionate and understanding with many things to offer in relationships and in the community at large. I love the fact that I'm vegan and involved in environmental issues. I also own an environmentally friendly business... But it's the artist in me who wants to come out, and it's driving me insane not being able to incorporate that in my everyday living. It's so much part of who I am... yet, I don't seem to be able move in that direction.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

Well, i don't even see myself as an 'adult' yet. I'm totally in denial I think that so far, the child i once was would be proud of me.

I am at uni - probably not doing exactly what i thought, or wanted, to do when i was younger, but still i am advancing my life and educating myself in a positive way and in a way that will benefit others when i graduate.

I am expanding my social circle, doing new things and meeting new people. I am becoming involved with things i am pretty sure i would have wanted to become involved with when i was younger.

I'm sure the child i once was would be proud of me and pretty ecstatic with me making the leap from vegetarian and vegan, for being deeply concerned about the environment, humanity and issues that affect us all greatly, yet most people ignore - the 'out of sight, out of mind' attitude is one i try never to adopt, well, unless i have studying to do! hee hee. I don't want to take the easy route, i want to make a difference no matter how small. I think she (the child i once was) would also be extreemly happy with my positive outlook on life.

I don't think she would look upon everything i have done positively and i think she would think i could have handled different situations better but i am maturing and becoming a strong and positive character and thats the main thing - she couldn't fault me for that.

That was a very good question to ask veganwitch!
    "Human Freedom, Animal Rights, One Struggle, One Fight!!"

Quote the_red_star
    Well, i don't even see myself as an 'adult' yet....
    Hey, I feel the same way and I'm ten years older than you!

I think the child would be surprised that I'm still around. For some reason I always suspected something dreadful would befall me so I never really made plans Probably too many Grimm's fairy tales.

Quote Roxy
    I'd be a disappointment to myself too. It seems that when I was a child I had all of these dreams I wanted to achieve, and now I'm nearly 32 I've no idea what I'm going to do with my life. It really gets me down sometimes.
    I feel exactly the same. I'd be pleased that my eyes have been opened to the fact that veganism is the right way to live and I'd be proud of everything I've done to help animals but thats about it really. I'm not enjoying my life and would have been disappointed if I'd known it would be like this

Quote Hemlock
    Very weird veganwitch, I think we must be twins separated at birth as I feel exactly the same way
    Wow!!! Who knows, maybe we are the same person living in parallet worlds

Mophoto, Roxy, Puffin, Kriz, & Maisiepaisie, sorry to hear that you are all somewhat disappointed in certain parts of your life. I am sure the children you were would be incredibley proud of your veganism. To me the impact vegans make on the world and the lives of animals is so huge that if I were to acheive nothing else I set out to do I would still consider my life a success story.

Thanks veganwitch

Quote twinkle
    Hey, I feel the same way and I'm ten years older than you!
    You're 30? I wouldn't have guessed.

sugarmouse

((hugs)) to you all!!

thinkin abotuit...i wouldnt ve been dissapointed inthe sense that when i was a kid, i hated being a kid!!! i always knew i wantd to be adult so i could do what i wanted..i never enjoyed 'kid' things...and i dontthink my parents enjoyed me as a kid at all...in fact i would say i was more mature then than i am now!

and so far so good..since i was 15 i have been totllay self sufficient..iv lived on my own for the best part of those years.....apart from most recently i have been gettin financial help from myparents...not because i need it., but because they do not see me very often and they want to show they care i guess.
    the reason i have been down recently..i know i posted a threadabotu it a while ago, was because folks i knew were tryin to control me and stop me being myself andindependant..and i never do anythin to hurt anyone...so it realy hurt me that they did that but the kid in me would be happy if they could see how easy my life had been,apart from this part!
    alll i gotta do now is mke everyone vegan!!;l

Wilson, a young me would be disappointed I'd chopped my past-the-waist hair off too! (but id reassure her im still trying to grow it back!) other than that.. I was never ambitious so the fact im a shop assistant would be neither here nor there, she's like that I was a vegan and cared for animals, she'd like that I had a lovely boyfriend and a cat (I've always loved cats!).. yeah overall she'd be pleased I think.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.

Quote the_red_star
    That was a very good question to ask veganwitch!
    Thanks red star.

I also agree with you about being in denial about really being an adult. My husband and I are always making comments about certain things feeling "too grown up for us". We are both Peter Pans at heart.

The child I was would be glad that I have overcome so many of the problems I had and have kept my compassion. Although, he may be a little disappointed that I'm not rich. I'm sure he would get over it.

Well first I think that she would be terrified that I'm not a Christian, I was very afraid as a child that if I died and hadn't immediately prayed before hand I would go to hell. I also lived on a farm as a child and actually thought that animal rights activists were nuts so I guess she would think think that I'm a nut lol. Basically time and experience have taught me a lot about life and the way the world works and I'm very different than I though I would be as a child. I would never have dreamed when I was a child that I would grow up to be a vegan, feminist, hippie or witch but that pretty much sums up what I became lol.

She would wonder why I play so much and aren't as serious anymore.

The child I was would be very suprised because as an adult I`m not that different as I thought I would be. I mean, I don`t feel like a typical adult. I`m still afraid of people (not all, however, thank goodness..) and uncertain about my future. The child I was would never have thought I wouldn`t be Christian "forever", let alone that I would ever find a boyfriend.. but if she found out, she would be quite confused, I guess

Maybe she would be disappointed because I gave up my plan to begin living in a cottage without electricity, money and so on, but then again, maybe she would forget her disappointment if she knew how much I`ve learned new things after going to school (and how much more there will be for me to learn).

Quote spjessop
    You're 30? I wouldn't have guessed.
    Yeah, I get that a lot - probably something to do with my childishness

The child I was would be happy and proud that:

I am incredibly independent and live my life the way I want to;

I have chosen to live a vegan and environmentally-friendly lifestyle;

I love volunteering and helping people;

I have such an amazing friendship with my sister;

I know what my dreams are and I have pursued them with passion, motivation, and dedication;

I live a healthy lifestyle;

I am resilient and strong, and have the determination to overcome obstacles;

My personality, values, and interests have developed the way that they have;

I am pursuing personal/spiritual growth;

I have learned from my parents' mistakes and how to avoid them;

I have changed from a shy girl to a very extraverted person.

The child I was would be sad and disappointed that:

Even though I'm outgoing and easily meet and have fun with people in social situations, I have great difficulties forming close friendships. I feel very lonely and like an outsider a lot of times.

I do so many things, that I'm constantly stressed, sleep-deprived, and rushed, and don't get a chance to enjoy life, friendships, and my interests.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

I'm still 18, so not fully grown up yet but so far...

The child I was would be proud/happy:
    -That my hair is much nicer than it was
    -That I didn't grow to be 6 feet tall and have huge feet (no offense to anyone!)
    -That I don't get teased any more by people other than my brothers
    -That I'm vegan
    -That I have a boyfriend (haha)
    -That my sasquach unibrow is gone and in fact, I have nice eyebrows and get many compliments on my eyebrows
    -That I'm not as shy as I used to be
    -That my grades in school are better

The child I was would be dispointed:
    -That I still have no friends
    -That my room is incredibly messy
    -That I didn't go on a foreign exchange in high school
    -That I don't have a super cool lifestyle
    -That I'm not a famous celebrity
    Peace, love, and happiness.

If child me met "adult" me (using the term to describe a physical age only, LOL), I honestly believe his eyes would well up with tears as he uttered the words "I've been so very ignorant and cruel".
    I am mostly happy with whom I've become, but I am not happy with who I was.

PygmyGoat

I think the child me would be fairly happy. I always wanted to help animals, and the only thing that the child me would want to change is that I should be doing more to help.

I did always want to marry a very tall, silent man with red hair and a beard, so I did that - I always wanted a green Mini Cooper (the original type) and haven't done that. I also wanted to live in a small cottage on top of a hill in the middle of a forest - I do live in a small cottage but need to move it into a forest. I would still like to do that! .

i think the child i used to be, would love the fact that i turned out pretty okay, afterall

I'd be wondering why I'm not grown up yet!

Quote harpy View Post
    I was a rather anxious child, so I would probably be pleasantly surprised to find that I'm still alive, fed, clothed, (more or less) solvent etc
    Same here, I think I'd be sad that I worried so much still and didn't have loads of companion animals and disgusted that I liked boys/men and no longer thought they were horrid

I'm still pretty similar to how I was as a child.

sprite1986

Char, it seems crazy to see you're age as 23 now!! Haha!

I think the child I was wouldn't have expected me to turn out how I did.

It is crazy!!!!! haha when I was a child I used cry the night before my birthday cos I didn't want to get older (doubtless I'll be doing that again soon)

Anyway back on topic.......

I wanted to have a life of professional music making with a large sprinkling of travel and lots of adventure if I recall.
    Sorted.
    The playing midfield for United bit was never realistic in the first place..

Good sperm

As a kid I never thought I'd achieve anything so I guess gaining a First Class English degree would cheer her up, and becoming a teacher. Being lonely and bullied as a child seeing the lovely guy I'm with and my wonderful friends on here would probably help her get through the unhappiness.
    And she'd think being vegan, runner and Yoga fiend was totally cool

I think that the child I used to be would be surprized that I ended up in France when I was never particularly good at French back then. Happy that I married a lovely Frenchman Sad, that we couldn't have children but delighted that I'm now a mother to two beautiful Chinese girls more stunning than me!! Glad that I have travelled but impatient to see me really do something useful professionally....

This thread is very cool! My younger self wasn't too concerned about much of anything, so I don't think he'd really care all too much what I was up to! He loved animals, but would probably have thought me strange for not eating them.. (I did go veg at 18 though).. He'd be surprised I'm in school, as I've been out of school since I was 14, and he'd be amazed at where I've been and the things I have seen and done.. I'd like to tell him that no matter what everyone is telling him right now, he won't regret a thing! Oh yah.. and don't buy all that MCI stock!!!
    - The Duck
    Let's do something about it!

i think the child i was would be very disappointed at the way i've wasted my life.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Aw, Gorilla! - you're only young! you can't say you've wasted your life until you're in your 60s/70s!

What would the child have wanted you to do with your life?

the child i was would be disappointed that i didn't live up to my academic potential and dropped out of uni instead of getting a degree, that i've spent so long in crappy boring jobs that don't use my brain and bore me half to death, and that i was stuck in an unhappy relationship for so long because i didn't have the guts to do anything about it. she'd also be disappointed that i've let depression get the better of me for so many years.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Don't let your career define you...

*sigh* it's not just my career, that's only one part of feeling like a complete failure and that i've let myself down

Good sperm

Quote Gorilla View Post
    the child i was would be disappointed that i didn't live up to my academic potential and dropped out of uni instead of getting a degree, that i've spent so long in crappy boring jobs that don't use my brain and bore me half to death, and that i was stuck in an unhappy relationship for so long because i didn't have the guts to do anything about it. she'd also be disappointed that i've let depression get the better of me for so many years.
    Well then maybe you should start making your inner child proud of you. Your life isn't over by any means, think about some changes you might like to make, even if they're only teeny ones at first, and start making them. Don't let your past define your future.

i don't really know what i want to do, which is mainly why i haven't done anything about it, as well as being a complete wuss. i have just made one massive change to my life though and now i'm absolutely terrified

Quote Gorilla View Post
    I know how you feel Gorilla - they're exactly the same low points in my life too/

Good sperm

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i don't really know what i want to do, which is mainly why i haven't done anything about it, as well as being a complete wuss. i have just made one massive change to my life though and now i'm absolutely terrified
    Change is scary, it should be because it's removing you from what you're used to and comfortable with. What sort of things make you happy? Include them in your life more. If something is making you unhappy ask yourself why, does it need to be changed or gotten rid of or is it just a phase?
    This may sound naive but I think everbody knows in their heart if something isn't doing them any good, and it's this truth in your heart you need to listen to. Ignoring it only makes things worse.

as i suffer from depression, it's very difficult to think of things that make me happy, and to realise whether something that's making me unhappy is just a phase, or if i need to do something about it. i really don't know what i'm going to do.

sorry you feel the same way PI - do you know what you want to do about it, or do you feel trapped like i do?