Thread: My Vegan Baking Class Experience

Default My Vegan Baking Class Experience

As requested by Wildflower I am starting a thread putting together some things I learned and recipes I learned from my 3 hour class this evening. I hope I am allowed to do this! The class was extremely informative and also went into detail about the chemistry behind vegan baking vs. traditional baking as well as various ingredients and substitutes etc. The teacher actually became vegan after going abroad and coming down with such a bad case of food poisoning that he was unable to digest any animal products so he was forced to figure out how to veganize his normal diet and has since stayed vegan after learning about nutrition and animal cruelty etc. His website is www.goodbaker.com and he has lots of vegan mixes and organic choc. chips straight from italy to buy! In order to try and limit the length of each post I'll probably post different points and recipes separately
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Default Re: My Vegan Baking Class Experience

First some specific food details:

corn starch - stay away from - use tapioca or arrowroot for starch (they are pretty much inter changeable.

the healthier the oil the faster it will go bad - therefore omega 3 is the healthiest fat so the oils with the highest concentration of omega 3s must be refrigerated because they go bad the fastest (flax seed oil is a perfect example)

Out of all the oils Canola oil looks like the best - it is 7% saturated fat (the lowest out of any), 61% monosaturated (or omega-9), 21% Omega 6 and 11% omega 3 (the highest percentage besides hemp or flax oil). Coconut oil on the other hand is 92% saturated fat - so beware of that! as well as only having 7% monosaturated fat, 1% omega 6 and no omega 3s. - keep oils in dark containers bc heat, light, and oxygen destroy essential fatty acids. heating any oil destroys its healthful properties so if you are going to stir fry etc. use just enough on the pan so that whatever you are cooking wont stick and add most of hte oil once you take it off of the heat so that you can still get the flavor benefits (oil brings the flavor to your taste buds).

cocoa powder is richer in fiber than whole wheat flower and high in anti-oxidants!

soy milk mixed with molasses creates a browning agent which can be brushed on top of muffins etc. to get that browning effect.

if you use boiling water instead of cold water it will be more moist and it will stay fresh longer - thats why most of his recipes call for boiling water instead of just water.

vegan recipes are inherently lower in fat because without eggs less fat is needed to balance out the recipe - yay veganism.

store bought muffin's tops are really high and round due to processed flour - so if yours dont rise they arnt suppose to - if they are huge like in the store they used processed flour and you should probably stay away from it.

if you are in a bind you can make your own brown sugar out of molasses and white sugar

vegan baking times are generally shorter bc they are only trying to create rise and dry out faster and also there is no need to worry about having cooked something long enough to get rid of any possible bacteria/diseases. so if you are converting a recipe - keep that in mind.

cakes are healthier than brownies - brownies are more dense because they have more fat and sugar so if theres a choice between having a brownie or cake keep that in mind as well!
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

wow - how interesting! Thanks Wishin, and I look forward to more topics from you!

On the sheets he gave us with his recipes - there are copy rights on them. does anyone know if that prohibits me from posting them even if i cite that they are in fact his recipes? to be on the safe side i'm going to hold off on that for now until further investigation
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Good sperm

As far as I know it's fine as long as you credit him and we don't use them for commercial gain.
    Not sure though

Seaside

Quote Wishin986
    On the sheets he gave us with his recipes - there are copy rights on them. does anyone know if that prohibits me from posting them even if i cite that they are in fact his recipes? to be on the safe side i'm going to hold off on that for now until further investigation
    If he makes money from them, you need his permission to post them here, as distributing them to others for free interferes with his ability to use them to generate income for himself.

Copyright law varies from country to country, but generally written word is subject to copyright and cannot be redistributed without consent. However some people claim that recipes themselves cannot be copyright (something which i've fairly sure isn't true), in which case if you completely redo the wording and sentences it's OK.

Ethically speaking you need to think about what impact it will have on the livelyhood of someone if you distribute their work for free. If people read what you divulge and then decide not to go on his course then is that ethically sound? Although you wouldn't be gaining commercially he would be loosing out commercially. This in turn could disuade people to spend time researching things and teaching them to others for a living, and whilst hobbiests are responsible for many amazing things, most of the things we enjoy in life were developed by people who were able to give their career to them.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Wishin, that sounds like a great class you took! And the website looks very interesting. I went to a vegan baking class last year with Fran Costigan and also learned some interesting tips. For instance, let agar flakes soak for 10 minutes before heating and they will dissolve quicker. After mixing all dry ingredients, sift them for best results. And don't overfill baking pans or the center will sink - trust me, this is true.

BTW, I know Fran doesn't want any of her recipes reproduced in any form, especially as she just came out with another dessert book.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Quote DianeVegan
    Wishin, that sounds like a great class you took! And the website looks very interesting. I went to a vegan baking class last year with Fran Costigan and also learned some interesting tips. For instance, let agar flakes soak for 10 minutes before heating and they will dissolve quicker. After mixing all dry ingredients, sift them for best results. And don't overfill baking pans or the center will sink - trust me, this is true.

BTW, I know Fran doesn't want any of her recipes reproduced in any form, especially as she just came out with another dessert book.
    i have definately sunk a cake before so good to know! -- yes i have decided against posting recipes i figured i would not like it if someone posted mine so i shouldnt post his
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

I just discovered that his mixes are available at 2 stores near me! I think I will try them when my stepkids are home next week. I am very interested in that frosting mix. Thanks again for the link.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

awesome tips- thanks

Wishing and Wildflower, that's a great idea for a thread Those are really interesting and helpful points!

I'd like to take a vegan baking class, so I'll keep my eyes open for one near me...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

cvC

Quote Wishin986
    Out of all the oils Canola oil looks like the best - it is 7% saturated fat (the lowest out of any), 61% monosaturated (or omega-9), 21% Omega 6 and 11% omega 3 (the highest percentage besides hemp or flax oil). Coconut oil on the other hand is 92% saturated fat - so beware of that! as well as only having 7% monosaturated fat, 1% omega 6 and no omega 3s.
    I think either you or he might have got it wrong in terms of which is the better oil and here is something that vitaman posted on another thread about Canola and which I think is quite persuasive:

http://www.sdadefend.com/canola.htm

Here is website that promotes coconut oil and where, propaganda or not, there's also a section of links that warn about soy:

http://coconutoil.com/index.html

Quote cvC
    I think either you or he might have got it wrong in terms of which is the better oil and here is something that vitaman posted on another thread about Canola and which I think is quite persuasive:

Here is website that promotes coconut oil and where, propaganda or not, there's also a section of links that warn about soy:

http://coconutoil.com/index.html
    theres a graph on the breakdown of fat in most oils out there - i was going off of that chart and coconut oil has wayy too much saturated fat for my liking and from the break down i would much rather prefer canola
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Quote Wishin986
    Out of all the oils Canola oil looks like the best - it is 7% saturated fat (the lowest out of any), 61% monosaturated (or omega-9), 21% Omega 6 and 11% omega 3 (the highest percentage besides hemp or flax oil). Coconut oil on the other hand is 92% saturated fat - so beware of that! as well as only having 7% monosaturated fat, 1% omega 6 and no omega 3s. - keep oils in dark containers bc heat, light, and oxygen destroy essential fatty acids. heating any oil destroys its healthful properties so if you are going to stir fry etc. use just enough on the pan so that whatever you are cooking wont stick and add most of hte oil once you take it off of the heat so that you can still get the flavor benefits (oil brings the flavor to your taste buds).
    Did the teacher of the class mention anything about olive oil? I didn't see anything about it in the article that cvC had posted either...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote cvC

I get sick of seeing people bashing canola - there's a rebuttal of a similar hatchet job to the one above on Snopes

Warning should come from the fact that the sdadefend artical has no references to scientific research at all, just one reference to the Wall Street Journal!

Sorry twinkle, but the "Canola bashing article" is more convincing... the simple fact that Canola oil is a GMO is bad enough...
    ~John Wooden

Not all canola oil is GMO though. We can get organic rapeseed (canola) oil in this country!

If you're referring to how erucic acid was replaced by oleic acid, the Snopes article says:

"In 1974, rapeseed varieties with a low erucic content were introduced. Scientists had found a way to replace almost all of rapeseed's erucic acid with oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fatty acid. (This change was accomplished through the cross-breeding of plants, not by the techniques commonly referred to as "genetic engineering.")"

I totally agree that the Sdadefend article was too hysterical/"hype", but I don't believe that Canola Oil is the healthiest. I didn't know that there was organic rapeseed/canola oil...I haven't seen it here (though it's probably because I haven't looked).

Quote twinkle
    Warning should come from the fact that the sdadefend artical has no references to scientific research at all, just one reference to the Wall Street Journal!
    Yeah, I noticed that, too, and that usually is a big red flag. I tried to look up actual journal articles in various med/nutrition databases, but I couldn't find anything relevant. All the articles I found on canola oil were testing canola oil's effect on some obscure chemicals in the bodies of rats ( ). I admit that my search wasn't very thorough, and I'm sure there are relevant articles out there.

I prefer olive oil because I've heard of its health benefits, though I'd be interested in finding out more info about it (that's why I asked Wishin if her teacher had given them any info on olive oil)...
    ~John Wooden

Blueshark

Great, great thread Wishin. Dont really know what to do with the knowledge but it is very interesting.

'..Cakes are healthier than Brownies ...'

and

'cocoa powder is richer in fiber than whole wheat..'

*wants to go to a vegan cooking class*

*stamps foot*

lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote xwitchymagicx
    *wants to go to a vegan cooking class*

*stamps foot*

lol
    *stamps foot with you*
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I always bake with olive oil, for what it's worth. basically because it is the only oil I buy, and I am too lazy to go pick up another one for a recipe. It turns baked goods a little dark, but that doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't affect the taste, just gives it a nice bronzing.

Does anyone know if salt is required in recipes to help things rise? I usually just throw in a pinch, just incase, but i would like to cut salt out totally, if I could.

Wildflower, I hate the taste of salt and basically didn't eat any, but I started forcing myself to eat a little in salads, soups, and other things, because your body needs the sodium found in salt. It's very important for your body: the ratios between sodium and potassium are critical for your cells, neurons, and nervous system to work properly!

Also, it's good to buy iodized salt. Most people don't get enough iodine, which is necessary for your eyes, and it can contribute to blindness. Thus, they thought of iodizing salt, so that most people can easily get the iodine they need.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Wildflower
    I always bake with olive oil, for what it's worth. basically because it is the only oil I buy, and I am too lazy to go pick up another one for a recipe. It turns baked goods a little dark, but that doesn't bother me at all, it doesn't affect the taste, just gives it a nice bronzing.

Does anyone know if salt is required in recipes to help things rise? I usually just throw in a pinch, just incase, but i would like to cut salt out totally, if I could.
    It think it was on Martha or some other cooking show. A pinch of salt to baked goods is a "baker's secret" to giving the food more depth or to balance out all the sweetness or something.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote DancingWillow
    Also, it's good to buy iodized salt. Most people don't get enough iodine, which is necessary for your eyes, and it can contribute to blindness. Thus, they thought of iodizing salt, so that most people can easily get the iodine they need.
    Hmmmmm, I buy RealSalt. I don't think it is iodized, but I always figured the salt that is added to my premade food is, so I was covered. I don't really salt anything really. Sometimes oven potatoes, and I put it in my guacamole. I like salty foods, but I don't like salt in foods that shouldn't be salty (ie, soup, tofu scramble). I like chips (crisps) and olives and those sorts of things that should be salty. that's enough for me.

www.realsalt.com

Thanks for that website...looks like something I'd like to try! I'm also curious about Celtic Sea Salt, which CC recommended.

Right now, I just use iodized sea salt (don't know which brand)
    ~John Wooden

Quote DancingWillow
    Did the teacher of the class mention anything about olive oil? I didn't see anything about it in the article that cvC had posted either...
    Yes the graph has lots of oils - for olive oil its 15% saturated, 75% monounsaturated (omega 9), 9% omega 6, and 1% omega 3!
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

I'm not sure there really is such a thing as a healthy oil unless you are eating a whole food. Therefore I just accept that baked goods are bad and I try not to eat too many. Extra virgin olive oil is the only healthy olive oil, IMO, because the lighter olive oils require chemicals to process. I use organic, cold processed canola in my baked goods because I find the taste of extra virgin olive oil too strong.

As far as iodized salt - I have read some conflicting reports about whether or not it's as healthy for you as naturally occurring iodine from the sea. For that reason, I use celtic sea salt. It's pricey but I don't use it often. We eat a fair amount of sea vegetables which I suggest if anyone is worried about their iodine intake.

And now for the most important piece of advice I learned in my baking class. Do not mix the wet and dry ingredients until you are ready to put the pan in the oven!!! Most vegan baked goods use leavening agents that are time dependent whereas eggs are temperature dependent. In other words, if you mix your cake batter together and then discover that you haven't preheated the oven - just throw it away or be prepared for a flat cake.

Again, great thread. The canola controversy has been waging for some time and I still don't know what to think about it (although it's got to be better than most other vegetable oils I hope).

Quote DianeVegan

And now for the most important piece of advice I learned in my baking class. Do not mix the wet and dry ingredients until you are ready to put the pan in the oven!!! Most vegan baked goods use leavening agents that are time dependent whereas eggs are temperature dependent. In other words, if you mix your cake batter together and then discover that you haven't preheated the oven - just throw it away or be prepared for a flat cake.
    wow! i have actually discovered this on my own...glad to have it confermed though
    Piggy

Quote Wishin986
    Yes the graph has lots of oils - for olive oil its 15% saturated, 75% monounsaturated (omega 9), 9% omega 6, and 1% omega 3!
    Thanks for checking the graph for me, Wishin

Quote DianeVegan
    As far as iodized salt - I have read some conflicting reports about whether or not it's as healthy for you as naturally occurring iodine from the sea. For that reason, I use celtic sea salt. It's pricey but I don't use it often. We eat a fair amount of sea vegetables which I suggest if anyone is worried about their iodine intake.
    I hadn't heard about the natural iodine...thanks for telling me! And I do want to try Celtic Sea Salt...as soon as I finish the container of regular sea salt that I now have, I'll buy it.
    ~John Wooden