Thread: plants and pain

prilly-pie

Default Re: plants and pain

i ask, as it is what mum shoved in my face. I didnt know what to say.

Good sperm

Hmm, we've had these kinda links put up before. They don't actually link to any peer-reviewed scientific research so their authenticity can be chucked out the window straight away. Most of the 'studies' that reckon plants feel pain are rubbish, of course they react to stimuli, they're an organism! This doens't prove they feel pain all it proves is they're alive.

Worth saying to your mum, as Seaside (I think it was) once put it...If you're so sure plants feel pain and you're so worried about them, how about you watch a video of a slaughterhouse and I'll watch a strawberry harvest?

I think it's only fair

prilly-pie

thats classic. oooo i cant wait for her to mention it again.. "please let loads of ppl be there"

Quote ladyaprille
    Ok now im majorly confused.
    You should be. Because, if plants can feel pain, you'd hurt twice if you eat meat, since animals eat plants too.

If research would show that plants could feel, how would we know that the nerve response that they claim to have observed is was pain? Maybe they are experiencing pure bliss as a result of knowing that they'll now save a human from starvation? If you measure car when crashing, I'm sure a lot of findings can be made (changing in material tension, change in temperature, sudden vibrations etc.) - similar to the nerve response that is interpreted as pain in plants - but that doesn't mean that cars can feel pain. Maybe the nerve response in plants is very similar to pain in humans - but that it is not felt, because there's nobody there to feel it.

I looked at one of your links, and found this "A spokesman for PETA said, "This is bad for us. Most of our members haven't eaten anything since hearing about the results". This is either a joke or a lie. PeTA are doing some surprising moves that many vegans find stupid, but their not that unintelligent!

I also saw this in one of the other links you posted: "Those students who avoid eating meat may help the cause of animal rights, but at the expense of plant rights. " All animals that are eaten by humans are plant eaters, so if one would consider eating a plant 'murder', one would have to kill twice to eat meat: first the plant is eaten by the animal, then the animal is eaten by the human. I find it fascinating that plants may have some sort of intelligence, but if people stop eating because they think plants feels pain, this must me the end of human intelligence as we know it today. If a human starves himself to death, he feels pain too.

Our thread about plants and pain is here - enjoy!
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 14th, 2009 at 07:07 AM.