Thread: Supermarkets

Thumbs down Supermarkets

Just a quick rant about supermarkets.

Because I have to travel several miles to reach a health food store to pick up things like Redwoods vegan foods and other bits, my two local supermarkets are the closest places to buy what I need from during the week.

The local Tesco used to sell vegan foods like Plamil chocolate and Cheezly cheese and Alpro vegan yogurt. They've now stopped!

This means that whenever I go shopping out of town, I have to buy all the special vegan items (which costs a fortune) in one go. I may just be being a glutton here, but you know what it's like when you have a bag full of vegan food right there in front of you... snack attack! I usually eat everything within the first few days of buying it as its a big treat to be able to have something different :-(

Supermarkets are definitely getting better for stocking vegan stuff (and labelling it), but they make living easy hard by not having the basics!

I really don't like big supermarkets anyway since they destroy local businesses, but when they're the only place to buy stuff from, you'd think they'd make more of an effort!

Rant over.... unless anyone else wants to join in!

Default Re: Supermarkets

It's all about convenience really. No vegan in the UK has it harder than meat eaters had it in the time between the dawn of and 50 years ago. Our generation has just been bought up with convenience foods and we expect them to be available. Certainly have the option to buy vegan convenience food is nice and very useful in some situations, but if you cook from scratch(ish) then supermarkets have thousands of products available to vegans for an interesting and balanced diet.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

VeganJohn

Where I live, aside from a fairly badly run Holland and Barrett (stock is always out, fridges often broken etc) I have no other choice than to shop at supermarkets. I live near a small Co-op that is quite good, but there is no other option than to shop at the big supermarkets. I sometimes pop into a health food shop when I am in the closest city, but not very often. The shop also doesn't sell nutritional yeast flakes or egg replacer.

I miss living in Leeds, as I lived right next to an excellent health food store.

There is something to what Flibble says

I always think of supermarkets as food graveyards. There is very little real food in there, just the corpses of what was food.

i am afraid that most of the Vegan food available in supermarkets is not really for human consumption.

It's much better for you to make your own, just more difficult if you're already used to things that come out of packets.

Supermarkets certainly are convenient. There are a few things that I buy in there, I spend more money at the fruit and vege market and at a big health food place nearby the supermarket.

Antony shopping

I totally agree with Mr. Flibble and abrennan.

Where I live in the US, the grocery stores don't carry much vegan stuff - it's the "organic" label that's proving more proftable for them. So you can get yerself some good ol' grass-fed milk, but that's the extent of their supply. While one grocery store does carry specialty vegan products, it's 30 miles away. So I feel your pain!

However, I resolved this issue very quickly by deciding to just not buy those specialty products anymore. They're too expensive, and it's too much of a drive/bus-journey. So instead I just live with it and eat what the grocery stores have - beans, veggies, etc, all good wholesome stuff. No vegan cheese, no tofurky, no vegan chocolate (though if I was honest with myself I don't miss them at all - they're a bit too much like the "real" thing to me, make me feel like I'm still hankering after the "real" thing, so I'm uncomfortable having them around. The big tub of Veganaise in the back is the only item to survive this culling. But that is totally just me and I respect everyone else's right to feel differently!)

Luckily the grocery stores sell some whole-wheat bread with no milk, high fructose corn syrup, or eggs. "Whole grain goodness" is the new marketing slogan of the big co.'s, and is proving very profitable as well. *sigh*

I don't know what it's like in non-australia but here at the s-market when they have organic veggies they wrap up up in platic with plastic trays under em, kind of defeats part of the purpose for me. I think they do it so people can't take the organic sticker off and buy it for regular prices.

Antony shopper

i've noticed that my local asda have stopped selling the cauldron marinated tofu peices and the veggie 'worcestershire' sauce

vegan1969

Shopping is a hassle for us. We usually go to about 3 stores and order offline to get what we want. Vegan cheese slices are totally unavailable unless we want to drive about 60 miles, so we do without. One more rant, we can only get soybeans from the health store and they are out over half the time so I'm going to order a huge 20lb bag online to solve that problem. If you store them like onions, in a dry, cool place they will keep for up to a year so I've heard. Rant over.....

I mainly shop at healthfood shops and cook from scratch. I don't find cooking all that time consuming really. I often make up double and freeze some for those convienient meals. You can always manage to buy fruit and veg, legumes and nuts and seeds and create interesting meals in a flash.

i usuallt try to do without all of the fancy vegan-specialities. i mean, too much soy is not very healthy (just like too little..)
    i usually just buy bunches of fresh organic veggies, fruits, pasta, juices, potatoes, oils and legumes, and then try to be creative. i mean, you might as well see it as a treat to eat something like vegan cheese, tofu, soy ice cream and stuff like that, and then just eat "regular supermarket foods" most of the time.. it's more economical, which means that you can buy your everyday foods organic

I like the fancy food, and it always pisses me off when supermarkets stop stocking something vegan (Swedish Soft cheese being one of the ones I miss the most).

Another solution apart from cooking everything from scratch (what *is* scratch, how does it make its way into so many of our foodstuffs? howcome it doesn't seem to be government regulated??) might be to lobby the supermarkets to get products in for you. If you tell customer services that you guarentee to buy say, half a case of the pruduct, they may be more willing to give it another shot on their shelves?

I feel so fortunate that my supermarket Lowes Foods is only 1/2 mile from my house and they have so many vegan and organic products it really amazes me. I can get just about any kind of food I want. They also have a whole section of natural care items: Alba, Toms, Kiss My Face, etc...

The only things I can't buy there are available at another store which is only 1 mile away at Earth Fare. They carry the fakin' bacon, vegenaise, chreese, and vegan cheese, braggs, tvp, and all organic produce. This store saves me because I love a good BLT.

I am blessed by the grocery gods.

Sheila
    "Take the path of least harm"

I go to 2 separate grocery stores. One to buy my organic fruit and veg and the other to buy my organic/vegan/environmentally conscious groceries.

It's a pain, and I wish that one grocery store near me would stock the lot.

I'm pretty lucky that the grocery store near me carries quite a few vegan and organic foods but then the location I live in demands it. They would lose a lot of customers if they didn't. They are convenient in a way because of the parking and all, but the food co-op here is much cheaper if I buy my staples in bulk. Now that summer is coming I will have the farmers market to get a lot of fresh organic fruits and veggies also. That is when I stop going to the grocery store...during the summer and fall.

The store near me sells pretty much everything I need except for Earth Balance margarine. I really should tell them about it...
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I am a supermarket girl. I can't afford organic or fancy things - but supermarket generally stocks vegan cheese, flavoured (and plain) soy milk, burgers, hot dogs, mayo, chocolate bars, ice cream, margarine, yoghurt etc... I tend to only buy ice cream & chocolate once in a while, and margarine. At my supermarket, I buy canned beans, dried red lentils, rice, pasta, tomato paste, oatmeal, ketchup, herbs/spices, bread, pita, peanut butter, hummus and fruits & vegetables. I have a very simple diet - but I hate fancy food - so it works well

I don't like most supermarkets. They have become mega multi greeds, cutting out local farmers and paying growers a pittance and selling products full of crap and packaging.

I get a large box of organic veg delivered from a local ethical company.

Then I buy all I can at local health food shops, deli's etc.

I buy the small amount I can't get anywhere else from the supermarket but try and target my purchases to small aussie owned companies.

I've never found this expensive. I even bought this way a few years back when I was a single parent student living on Austudy payments.

sainsbury's have stopped selling bacos in my local store - apparently there was no demand for them

hopefully waitrose still sell them

How come sainsburys has stopped giving out vegan lists of food because of "low demand" however have a whole section to veganism and vegan recipes on their website. They suggest veganism but then offer no help? I think its weird. Or have they decided to create one again lately? It was about a month ago when I asked last.
    (5/05/06)

It is quite easy for me to get food here, I don't like supermarkets but as I'm not paying for the food well...I can't complain.

I get things like vegetables and stuff from ASDA, and the "fancy" things, like cream cheese or anything from the health food stores, we have 3 in town that sell quite a lot, and we also have a sainsburies in town so it isn't hard for me, usually, to find what I want.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Sernicki

As far as i am concerened suermarkets promote the mass murder of animals, experimentation on animals and the exploitation of animals and people.

There is always an alternative ,the problem is most people cannot be asked to do something about it. As vegans we should be united in not supporting these slaughter houses and come up with ways to help one another. Find other vegans and veggies in your area and start a co-operative to get food cheap, use local shops more, order online from places like Infinity and Suma (Cheap if there are a few of you).

When you buy something from the supermarkets your money promotes death for animals, hardship for people and devestation of the planet. Only by helping one another and trying to find alternatives can we achieve a better world for the animals. Forums are here to do just that and maybe trying to sort out how to get cruelty free food would be a good start to getting out of the Supermarkets.

You woud not go int a butchers shop if they sold a good selection of Vegan food and supermarkets sell a lot more death than a butcher does. The only way to get a better life is to do what is right and find an alternative.

Quote IlFromaggio
    As far as i am concerened suermarkets promote the mass murder of animals, experimentation on animals and the exploitation of animals and people.
    Without meaning to sound dense, can you explain more?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

No point trying to make me feel guilty for using supermarkets really, everywhere these days, pretty much promotes the death of some sort of animal or cruelty to animals anyway.

Also my mum buys my food so I can't tell her to buy ALL vegan, ALL organic, and ALL from local stores or whatever.

"It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Unfortunately, just by living, we too, as vegans are causing the death of other beings. Food bought in 'vegan stores' has in the process hurt animals. The harvesting of crops etc for us to eat has killed many life forms. I'm not saying this is the same as killing animals deliberately of course.
    Instead of alienating supermarkets we as vegans should be encouraging them to better ways. Show them there is a demand for vegan products. We cannot escape life as it is, we have to try bit by bit to change things.
    I often wonder why those vegans in the world that have wealth don't start up vegan concerns, large supermarket type shops selling vegan products. Sadly, either very wealthy vegans don't exist [although I can think of one at least] or they have no desire to change things.

Sernicki

I know you are not dense Mr Flibble. However the supermarkets are full of dead animals in packets, tins, frozen, preserved, pickled etc.etc.etc. Animals form part of the ingredients to many other products supermarket sells. Also they sell all the stuff that i read about on this forum who we are supposed to be boycotting, ie. Proctor and Gamble etc.

Supermarkets make their profits on the death of animals, sell stuff that are tested on animals and also exploit the rest of the world with their buying power.

As for making people feel guilty that is not my intention as people should do what they want to do. However things will not change as long as we support those that commit mass murder and sell products that wreak of the smell of death. I agree that it is impossible to live a life that does not affect animals and that everything we do will impact the animal world in some way. But this does not mean that we can relax on certain things that we can make a difference with. We must and should do all that we can to aviod the needless suffering of animals and by not supporting those that profit from the mass slaughter of inocent animals is one way as there is an alternative.

Supermarkets do not care about vegans, they care about profit and that is all.
    Things will not get better unless people demand and make the changes themselves. These are only my opinions and i am sure that supporting supermarkets is the right thing to do for some Vegans and ethically minded people.

I do agree, I watched that supermarket thing by Hillside, and ugh, I wishwishwish I didn't have to buy from supermarkets, I won't when I'm using my own money.

Where else can you shop besides supermarkets? What if you live in a place with no local produce vendors and no small grocery stores?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

That's right Tigerlily, most of the other shops around me also sell animal products just like the supermarkets. I only have one health food shop and it is miles away!
    Although I do agree with your sentiments IlFromaggio, I too dislike the fact that in supermarkets there is the exploitation of animals. Sometimes I'll approach the managers and complain about the lack of consideration for vegans. They are usually very helpful and will try and order me in the products I have asked for.
    I think if you are polite and discuss things calmly you are more likely to get change. What is that saying? 'Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer!'

Sernicki

Supermarkets know that they have the monopoly in most places and that people will shop their for convienience, choice and locality. This is what they want and yes it makes dealing with the hassle of getting food a damn site easier. As i have read in this thread some people say that their suermarket has stoped doing a certain product due to bad take up, well laa-dee-daa and i thought they really cared about me!

Yes we can keep shopping there and defend this by trying to make a demand for that product, as it will be cheaper than the health food store. There is a reason why they are cheaper, it is because they exploit and make huge demands on suppliers etc. Then people complain when their local health store shuts down, well it has to as everyone is trying to purchase vegan goods from the supermarket to proove there is a demand for them. Well at least they can now get their soya milk for 65p rather than a quid as thats all that matters.

No fight for freedom is easy and unless we are willing to sacrifice and take responsibility for our own actions it will continue to be this way. In my very humble opinion there is always an answer, just because you can not see it now does nt mean to let the murderers win. It means you need to get together and think of a way round the issue.

Quote IlFromaggio
    As i have read in this thread some people say that their suermarket has stoped doing a certain product due to bad take up, well laa-dee-daa and i thought they really cared about me!
    well, thanks!!

Quote IlFromaggio
    In my very humble opinion there is always an answer, just because you can not see it now does nt mean to let the murderers win. It means you need to get together and think of a way round the issue.
    are you saying you buy absolutely nothing, ever, from a supermarket??

Sernicki

To answer your question i do not purchase any of my stuff from Supermarkets.

Hi IlFromaggio, it's not because something is cheaper, that I buy from a supermarket. I would pay double for something if it was vegan, and indeed I do buy more expensive things because they are vegan. I am more than happy to do that. I go out of my way to buy let's say 'vegan cosmetics' and pay 3 times the price of non-vegan ones. That is just an example, the same goes for food. I do travel the 30 miles or so to my nearest health food shop, but because I can only go there occasionally as it's too far away I have to bulk buy, and that is more expensive too. So you see it isn't as simple as you think.
    The way of this world I'm afraid is to favour supermarkets so I believe it is better for us to infiltrate them, if you like, not isolating ourselves in obscure little shops that the majority of people unfortunately view as 'freaky'.
    This isn't my view of them [before you bite my head off], I'm just stating the view of most non-vegan people.

well thats good for you then., IlFrom.

despite being vegans and on the same side, vegans who do shop there shouldnt be berated for either exercising choice or having a reduced choice.

in a local health store a while ago i went in there to find a product and the woman behind the counter was eating fish n' chips from the takeaway - no exploitation in health stores? they also stock bought in sandwiches & rolls with meats & cheese in, sell yogs, pasties.......

Sernicki

Sandra, i do not bite peoples head off ( even vegan ones). I am just putting food for thought on the table to say that unless as vegans we help each other and fight this battle on many fronts we may as well give it up and just let the market forces dictate our actions.

For some people maybe a Supermarket is the only answer but there are alternatives to think about and yes they will be hard for a person on their own. However as a group fighting for the freedom and respect of animals we should be doing all that we can and look at every action we do to see if we can do something better. If we just sit on our morals and say that is it for me as i am doing all that i can then we are no better than meat eaters who refuse to give up their bacon as it would make life a little more unpleasant. Or the veggie who can not give up cheese as their life would be so dull without it.

All i say is just keep thinking who we are supporting when we buy our products, maybe there is an alternative.

Does you head come with fries or a side salad.

Yes, cedarblue, the one and only health food shop I can go to, sells food containing dairy, eggs etc. Also I bought a bag of marshmallows thinking as it was a health food shop it would be ok, luckily I checked the ingredients before I ate any, they had GELATINE in them!
    Everyday life is just more complicated than some people think.

lol, yes it does IlFromaggio, but always check that the fries are done in vegetable oil!

I have one store that doesn't sell non-vegan so I guess I'm lucky really. This store seems to be doing really well I guess because all the other vegans in [...] are glad of a proper vegetarian store with small cafe and small deli thing.

I wish I'd a place like that to go to, I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop!

I was when I first found it.

lol, are the prices good, or is it a little bit more expensive? It would be worth it though just to have a place like that!

Some things are expensive yes but I wouldn't say it was shocking prices pretty much the same as supermarkets really, they also do fairtrade, organic, fruit and vegetable from local farmers, and they do quite a few gluten free things which is lucky for me.

http://www.soundbitesderby.org.uk/

I just get really tired of constantly trying and never doing enough and yet making more effort and paying out more than everyone else and being more hard up and more fed up than everyone else and nothing changing. I keep telling myself that you have to try because if no-one does anything nothing will change but when you are trying to do everything and no-one else does anything and doesn't even think about it, let alone care, it all starts to feel a bit pointless. Hubby is self-employed and we have been buying organic and doing all we can but we hadn't been managing to save any money and he just got a huge £2500 tax bill and the accountant said we need to save 20% of all his earning towards the next one - we weren't even sure how we were going to do this when we weren't even saving any money before. On top of that the maintenance we pay towards his kids has just gone up by £175 pounds a month (to a woman who had an affair with his best friend and chucked him out to move the best friend in and sits on her arse and does nothing and has so much money and lives a very well of life with 2 holidays a year, weekends away, 3 cars, 2 motorbikes, endless tatoos and eating out in restaurants, visits to the hairdresser, designer clothes and doing nothing to help the world. I had a week in Thirsk with my mother which was my first holiday in 6 years. I know it's for the kids but I also know she wastes it and if the kids need any money for college in the future or anything else she won't have saved anything. We are putting a little bit of money away every month so that when they reach 18 and need something we will be able to help.

So we are going to supermarkets and buying the cheapest food which is not organic. But we just simply cannot afford the organic stuff at the moment and it breaks my heart. What was even worse is that I hate shops that sell pets and I will not buy from them and won't go in but we ended up with a finch (the cat brought it in) and we could not find a rescue one and so we had to buy one because he needed a friend (he is so much happier now) and we needed a big cage now! And all the shops that didn't sell animals had tiny cages and so we had to buy a cage from the pet shop.

I felt awful about it and yet I thought - what is the point of me boycotting these shops when they continue to flourish and no-one else cares. We drive a 30 mile round trip once a month to buy Megazorb (pet litter) in bulk from a place that does not sell pets and buy pet food from none pet selling places.

It all feels pointless and i constantly feel like I am paying out more and so missing out and yet nothing is changing and no-one else gives a damn.

Monday x

Let the wealthy people buy organic. I think it's more important to eat lots of f+v than to eat only organic ones.

My heart goes out to you Monday, I know exactly how you feel. My husband is self employed too and sometimes we are struggling to get the money in the bank on time to pay the mortgage! I agree with everything you say, it seems so unfair that your husband's ex is living the life she is. So, unfortunately until there is a large vegan supermarket that I can shop in I will have to continue shopping at Tesco.

Me too Sandra.

Monday xxx